Hold on to me

Memories resemble sea breeze

 

 

He breathed deep, feeling the freshness of the salty sea and the wood. The ground was still a bit wet from the rain from yesterday, but he didn’t mind. He touched the lowest branches of the trees he passed, smiling when the water drops fell on him. He felt nice, he felt fresh. His mind was blank, yet so vividly clear that he felt light headed.

When he reached the beach and his shoes got deep into the sand, he stopped. He looked wide at the scenery, trying to memorize each detail, each moment. He wanted to memorize the sound of the waves moving towards him. His eyes moved to the sea foam that turned back to simple water.

He wondered how it was possible for the water to move, yet to look like it’s solid.

Ryeowook took his shoes off and put his bare feet on the sand. He wriggled his toes, feeling the sand under them. It was so weird. He bend down and pick a handful of the sand. He, then moved his hand down, making the sand fell. How it was possible that these small, little, almost not visible things, were actually stones, crushed into such a basic, littlest thing.

Ryeowook stood up, determined to go to the sea. He was little scared to go to the water. The sea looked so dangerous and deep. Maybe putting his feet in the water will be enough, he thought and moved towards the sea. He was about to step into the wet path that the sea waves reached, when he spotted Changmin running his way not far from him. He halted, unsure and embarrassed by his actions. He was grown up man and yet, acted like a kid. He wanted to turn around, wear his shoes and pretend he was only looking at the scenery, when Changmin spotted him and ran to him. Before Ryeowook would do anything, the taller man was next to him.

Ryeowook noted the red cheeks from the exercise and bangs tucked back, pinned down by a few pins.

“The sand under the feet feel amazing right?” Changmin said and Ryeowook was a bit surprised the man spoke to him first and not only with one word. He looked down at Changmin’s feet and saw he was barefoot as well.

“Y..Yes..” Ryeowook looked up at the young man, who was looking at him, then at the sea.

“First time being at the seaside?” Changmin asked, coming closer to Ryeowook. Ryeowook felt a bit angry about the fact that the man was so tall. He envied him. He was handsome like Ryeowook too, but only if Ryeowook was a bit taller.

“Yes.” Ryeowook replied shortly and punched himself mentally for speaking like that. Really, it was Changmin who was supposed to look clues and be silent type, not him.

“Did you get into the water?” The tall man asked and started rolling his pants up.

“N..no..I wasn’t able to.” Ryeowook said shyly. He left like a kid, being scared to do something, yet wanting to do it so badly.

"Want to go with me?” Changmin asked and smiled at Ryeowook. The shorter man was shocked at the pure and sincerely smile Changmin was showing him. He never thought a smile that was directed towards him, would be so warm and friendly.

Ryeowook hesitate for a second, but Changmin didn’t. He reached his hand and held Ryeowook’s wrist. He pulled him toward the sea with himself. Ryeowook was so shocked by sudden skinship that didn’t react properly as he thought he should, by pulling away. He let Changmin lead him. When his feet touched the cold wet sand Ryeowook bite his lower lip. He yelped and moved his legs ups, when the cold sea water touched his feet.

“So cold!” He squeaked and jumped, trying to get away from the cold. Changmin held his wrist tighter, but Ryeowook didn’t notice, too focused on the feeling of sea water on his skin. They went deeper and Ryeowook’s palms clenched from fear. They didn’t bother about their clothes. Ryeowook was too focused on his new discovery, of his new feelings to mind the clothes now.

“You don’t have to worry. The sea is not so deep. The deeps start only few meters away from here.” Changmin said when their pants get wet as they get almost waist deep into the water.

Ryeowook’s teeth were moving and his body was trembling from cold, but he didn’t want to come back. The water felt nice. The waves would push him back to the beach, but with Changmin he was moving forward. Suddenly, when they were shoulder deep and Ryeowook could barely stand on his toes, Changmin turned around, letting go of Ryeowook’s wrist.

“You are cold?” Changmin asked and swam a bit further from Ryeowook because the waves pushed him towards the shorter man.

“Yes.” Ryeowook nodded his head while still trembling. He knew the seawater would be cold, but not so freezing cold. It was almost summer and the weather was nice. But it looks it didn’t affect the water yet.

“Just dive in then!” Changmin commented and dive into the water. Ryeowook looked shocked as the man stays under water for a few seconds, then come back to the surface.

Changmin pushed his hair back, wiping water from his face. “It’s help, try it.” Ryeowook shook his head, but get down a little bit, still leaving his head above the sea surface. “Sink your head too.” Changmin added when he saw fear in Ryeowook’s eyes. He smiled encouraging at the shorter man and it helped. Ryeowook took a deep breathe and dive completely into the water. He shook his head in the water. His hair would swim around him as his eyes were closed shut. But it helped, he felt warmer.

Ryeowook moved towards the surface and breathed hard once his head was completely out of water.

“It helps!” Ryeowook cheered and smiled gratefully at Changmin.

“Try to open eyes now.” Changmin suggested and moved towards Ryeowook. He put his arms around Ryeowook’s elbows and the other done the same. Both second later dive into the sea. When their heads were completely in the water, Changmin nugged Ryeowook’s elbow and they opened their eyes.

The world was so different there. So blurry yet, bright at the same time. Water had a color of green and blue. The sand under their feet moved as if it was made from gold. Their puffed cheeks looked funny, as they tried to hold their breaths. Changmin’s eyes were sparking happily and Ryeowook knew his were mimicking them.

When they moved up and breathed hard enough, they started laughing like kids.

“Water is so much fun right?” Changmin laughed and with a sight, he swam further into the water. Ryeowook watched him and envy darken his eyes. He wanted to be so carefree like the taller man. But he knew that in the city, he left problems and people, he need to care of.

“It is.” Ryeowook agreed, but his eyes were clouded by memories of Siwon and his family. Changmin noticed it and swam back to him. He knew he was a stranger to him and didn’t mind it actually. He just hated that his guests were feeling unhappy. He knew most of them came here to forget something or ran from their problems for a second. Changmin was good at reading people’s minds.

“Let’s come back and dry up. Sun will make us some hot cocoa with marshmallows.” Changmin said and started swimming, walking towards the beach. Ryeowook looked at his back for a minute. He was glad the man didn’t bug him about anything. He saw that Changmin noticed his sudden change of mood, but didn’t push him to tell him.

 

They didn’t talk at all as they reached the beach. Changmin walk slower and Ryeowook catch up to him soon after. He wears his shoes as they walk, and didn’t ask when Changmin still didn’t have his. He probably went to walk without them, which for Ryeowook was so weird.

 They stayed in comfortable silence, admiring the nature around them. When they reached the inn, Changmin’s grandpa greeted them:

“I saw you play in the sea and knew Changmin will want some sweets after it, so I asked Sooyoung to make hot cocoa. It will be ready soon.” The old man said when they reached him. “Change clothes quickly before it.” And Changmin with Ryeowook did.

When Ryeowook reached his room, he took a quick shower and changed into casual clothes. He put his wet clothes on the hangers and went out. He felt like he was a guest in distant’s family home.

 

When he opened the front door Sooyoung was putting drinks on the small table next to Changmin and his grandpa.

“With this I’m off. Jessica wait for me in the car.” She said and after greeting Ryeowook, she skipped to the car that was parked a few meters away.

“She is such a sweetheart.” Changmin’s grandparent commented as he sipped the hot drink.

“Is she…” Ryeowook wanted ask if she is Changmin’s girlfriend, but when he saw two girls kissing in greeting and their intertwined hands, he closed his mouth.

“She is Changmin’s cousin.” Old man reply to Ryeowook’s unvoiced question. Ryeowook nodded with understanding and looked at the distance, where the beach was. He still can’t believe that he saw a beautiful scenery and he was part of the nature; was in the sea and felt the sand under his feet. It was still surreal for him.

 

They stayed like that for a while, an hour or two. Changmin’s grandpa eventually fell asleep in his chair and both young men didn’t say anything to each other. Ryeowook looked at Changmin from time to time, wondering what the taller man thinks. He didn’t notice, that once he looked at the sea or the forest around them, Changmin’s eyes would shift at him, thinking of the same.

 

 

 

 

A/N: You guys have longer changwook interaction! Hope you like it? Aren't they cute in the water? Who was scared of the sea before? I still am XD

If you like what you see please leave comment :)