The inn under the cliff

Memories resemble sea breeze

 

 

 Ryeowook’s lungs hurt from too much running. He stops only after he reached his apartment. He quickly opened the front door and lock it. He threw his shoes away and went to his bed. He lay on it and covered himself in a blanket. His head and heart were burning from pain, but he didn’t want to reach for painkillers. His eyes were wet from tears that were running down his face. Ryeowook clenched his shirt and punched his chest  a few times, because his heart felt like someone prick needles on it.

He didn’t want to cry, not for people like that. But he couldn’t stop. He maybe not remember them, but after the accident, they took care of him. He thought that maybe next to them, he could recall his memories. How wrong he was. They wanted to use him. He couldn’t believe Siwon was in that too. His fiancé was really caring towards him. He would teach Ryeowook slowly about himself, about them. Siwon would be patience, even if sometimes the line was thin and Siwon would lose patience and get hurt. He would meet with Ryeowook’s secretary Kyuhyun and discuss the job with him. He would help him with his job that, Ryeowook slowly started doing. He took care of the problematic issues from his agency without even complaining about it. And Ryeowook was grateful for it. But after what he heard in Siwon’s house, he doesn’t know what to think of it.

He never thought that a person can become so lonely. How fragile a person can become once everyone turn their backs on them. How empty and lonely Ryeowook felt. His own head was betraying him, making him unable to remember anything. Making him unable to remember the love he had for Siwon. Maybe when he was still remembering, he knew how Siwon’s parents were thinking? Maybe, it wasn’t so shocked and he accepted it, only for the sake of being with Siwon. Maybe he really loved the men so deeply that he didn’t think twice and was ready to marry him? But now everything was held somewhere in the space, because of his accident and his memory loss. He doesn’t remember how he looked at Siwon before it or how the other man looked at him with love before it. Now, Ryeowook could see the worry, but not the love inside the man’s eyes. It wasn’t the gaze of the man who loves the other and Ryeowook knew he wasn’t looking at Siwon with this look as well.

 

With the thought of losing everything, not only the memory, Ryeowook fell asleep, dulling the pain in his head and ache of his heart.

People say, that it’s a good thing that you forget, but sometimes it’s better to remember. Even the painful memories, makes you stronger, makes you wiser. 

 

 

 

Despite of doctor’s disapproval of Ryeowook driving a car, he did.

Next day, after his heartbreak, Ryeowook took the car from his secretary Kyuhyun. He had to move somewhere far away, have a long vacation in the far end of their country. He made Kyuhyun his vice-president for a mean time. He trusted the man, even if he doesn’t remember him. Kyuhyun was nice and funny, but mostly reliable. He helped Ryeowook when he came back to work and never complain if he had to do some extra job. He slowly teaches Ryeowook about his work and with his and Siwon guidance, Ryeowook was able to do his work. He slowly remembers how to, but only that. Just like with daily task, he remembered his job.

Ryeowook told him, when he come back, and agency will be doing good, even with his absence, he will give Kyuhyun extra money and long vacation.

Kyuhyun was a bit taken aback after Ryeowook told him he will go on holiday. His uneasy eyes shifted from Ryeowook and he asked, slowly, about Siwon. When Ryeowook told him about them separate, because for Ryeowook is was a separation what happen yesterday, Kyuhyun’s face looked shocked. He didn’t believe Ryeowook at first, but when Ryeowook cut his long talk with short: we are over, he shut up and looked down. Ryeowook noticed a small smile spreading on Kyuhyun’s lips, but didn’t ask him about it.

After that, Ryeowook gather some of his things and without saying anything to anyone, even to Kyuhyun, where exactly he was driving, he locked the door to his apartment and get inside the car.

 

 

 

 

Ryeowook open the window inside the car he was driving. The wind smacked his hair, touching his skin. He felt like the wind was washing up all the pain he felt for the couple of weeks. As he was driving, he recalled something. He was crying while driving on the day of his accident. He wanted to remember more, but feared he would get a headache so he stopped. He emptied his head completely, trying to move forwards into the new.

He passed the lines of houses outside the city and drove further. The countryside scenery showed up. Trees next to the road, lined up from time to time. He breathed the fresh air and slowed down, glancing at the scenery outside the car. Small houses from time to time, would show up behind the green and yellow hills. He would pass the colorful meadows full of various flowers. Pass the woods and see the sun twinkle behind the trees’ crowns.

As he was further from the city he lives in, he felt like he was at peace. No one knows anything about him. Here in the car and in the inn, he wanted to reach,  he would be everything and everyone and no one cared about. No one would force him for being who he doesn’t remember being.

 

When he smelled the sea breeze and heard the distant sound of waves, he knew he will soon reach the place he wanted to be. He wanted to see the sea so badly. He doesn’t think he even go there in his life and now he had a chance.

Ryeowook smiled when he saw the sea shore few meters away from the road he was driving at. He saw a single restaurant next to the main road. He parked the car in the parking lot near it and enter the place.

“Excuse me, do you know where I can find a good place to stay?” Ryeowook asked the woman behind the bar. She looked at him and shook her head.

“I don’t know…” She slowly said, but Ryeowook, from her tone of voice, knew she was lying.

“I wanted to order something to eat, but maybe someone else in another restaurant would know? Maybe I should go somewhere else…” He said and the woman immediately halted and started to move her hands.

“I know, I know, I just had to think. Please order something and I will write down the address of our best local inn.” She smiled at him. Ryeowook ordered the food and eat it. In the meantime the woman wrote down the address and give it to Ryeowook.

“It’s the inn next to the cliff. Just drove down the main road and on the left, after like 5km later, you will see the sign board. Turn to the left from the sign and you will reach the inn. A lot of people came there. It’s a really popular place, but you feel like you are only one.” She said and started to count the money Ryeowook give her. She thanked for the nice tip he left for her and said goodbye to him, once he exit the restaurant.

 

Ryeowook looked at the sea for a few minutes. It was blue and looked calm, but Ryeowook knew otherwise. He knew that the sea was only hiding the stormy and dangerous inside. Just like Ryeowook’s mind. It was blank, without the recollection, but somewhere deep inside it, it was stormy and full of memories.

After a while, he got in the car and drive to the inn he was recommended. He hasn’t planed, nor called in advice. He knew if it was destiny, he will find a room in that inn. There are always other places.

He drove around 5 km when he finally saw the inn’s board ‘Into the water’. He chuckled at the humor of the name and turned to the left, reaching the inn after one kilometer later.

He left his phone off in the car. He didn’t want to talk to anyone in the meantime. He exited the car, and looked at the inn. The building was partly hidden in the small wood, while the other side, with lots of windows, showed the beautiful scenery of the sea below and the cliff above it. Ryeowook wondered if the cliff’s sand wouldn’t rush down and destroy the building. But the inn was too far to cliff’s sand to reach it yet.

The building was made from the stones and wood. It had two floors and small patio before the entrance. The perfect place to see the sea’s scenery. The place looked like a family house, that was renovated into an inn.

He looked around, hoping to find someone. He turned around and jumper from fright when a small old man, even shorter than him, smiled at him toothless.

“Omo, did I frighten you young man?” The old man asked still smiling. His eyes were shining playfully and his skin was dark from the sea and sun. His wrinkled face looked friendly and homely. “Let’s pretend that I didn’t see your frightening. You can still think you are a brave man.” The man laughed and Ryeowook couldn’t stop but smile at him. “What you are doing here young men?”

“I’m looking for a place to stay. You know if there is a room available here?” Ryeowook asked.

“I’m sure my grandson will find something for you. He is inside, sitting in the front desk.”

“Your grandson? Ryeowook asked and the man nodded happily.

“He is the owner of the inn. Get inside soon, because the rain will fall soon.” The man said and made a gesture to Ryeowook to go inside the inn.

Ryeowook was confused why the rain would fall, because the sky didn’t look too gray. But then as they almost reach the roof of the patio, Ryeowook felt drops of rain on his nose and cheek.

When they entered the building, the rain started to pour hard. Ryeowook wanted to ask the old man how he knew it would rain, but the man was already on the stairs up. The old man only grinned at him and winked his wrinkled eye, then went up further.

Ryeowook looked before himself and noticed the young man. The man was a bit muscular, yet not so much, rather slim. His hair covered partly of his eyes. His plump, chapped lips were moving, mumbling curses as he was playing with his phone.

“Good evening.” Ryeowook said as he stood before the reception desk. The man didn’t even move his eyes up, too immersed in his game. “Ekhem..” Ryeowook cleared his throat to make the man pay attention to him, but it didn’t help. “Hallo? You hear me?” Ryeowook asked and nothing. Ryeowook’s shoulder dropped and for a second thought of yelling out loud at the young man, but instead sighted and propped his elbows on the desk and looked at the man and at the game he was playing.

The man was tall, for sure, because Ryeowook saw long, really long legs under the table. His jaw was firm and strong. He would clench and unclench it as he breath curses and other short words to his phone.

Ryeowook propped his head on his elbows, making him almost be face to face with the man. And nothing, the man didn’t notice him. Ryeowook wonder how someone can be so focused on the game to not notice the world around him.

When the phone screen showed ‘game over’ the man breathed a curse and finally come back to earth. He screamed and almost jumped up from the chair he was sitting in, when his face met Ryeowook just few inched away.

“What the hell?!” He yelled, making huge eyes. Ryeowook just chuckled and stood up straight.

“I called you a few times, but you didn’t listen, so I waited.” Ryeowook replied with a small  amused smile.

“I’m… sorry…” The man said and lowered his head.

“I wanted to book a room here.” He saw the man’s eyes delight from happiness. Maybe he doesn’t have many customers, Ryeowook thought.

“Yes, right away, let me check.” The man said and took a book from under the table. He opened it and Ryeowook noticed that like the woman in the restaurant said, they had lots of customers. It was almost a holiday, but the book has been already more than half written. “We have one available. Ot the last floor, number 12.” The man said and Ryeowook sign where he pointed him to. He paid for one night for now and the man guided him into the room.

“We have breakfast and dinner available here as well. I can order them for you.” The man helped Ryeowook into the room with his small luggage. The room was bright and homely, looked like a typical cottage room.

“Please, if you can.” Ryeowook thanked the man and when he exited his room, Ryeowook lay on the bed and closed his eyes.

The place looked nice. He had already met two weird but nice people here. He hoped he would remember, recall the memories he forgot in this place. He hoped he would find his peace and sort his feelings.

 

After that Ryeowook stayed close to the inn. It was raining whole evening. He skipped the dinner and went to sleep early. Next day, Ryeowook went down to eat breakfast, he enters a dinning room and spotted that old man from yesterday. The old man noticed him too and moved his hand:

“Come, sit with me!” He called and Ryeowook sat across from him. Ryeowook noticed other inn’s residents at breakfast time. Most of them were old, he was the youngest of them all. “You came to eat? I recommend you menu number two. Sooyoung cook the best.” The grandpa commented and pointed finger at the young, beautiful woman who just entered the room with trays of food. “If only Changmin could learn some skills from her.” The grandpa added and shook his head to the side where his grandson was sitting in the bar’s chair. Ryeowook looked at the man, who with gloomy face took trays from Sooyoung’s hands and went to serve customers. He looked like a withdraw person. As if he wishes he wasn’t here. “He is so useless.” Ryeowook smiled, then chuckled when the old man shouted useless, so loudly that Changmin turned around. “Yes, you.” He pointed his finger at the younger who looked clueless at him. Ryeowook’s eyes met Changmin’s and he smiled with sympathy. Changmin blinked frozen for a second then come back to his task.

It was weird that Ryeowook was only a few hours in this place, yet he felt so comfortable, like at home. He thought it was the atmosphere, that home like feeling the second he get here.

 

After the breakfast- he ate menu number two and he regrets nothing, Ryeowook went to his room. He planned to go see the sea up close. Yesterday was so rainy, he could only sit behind the house. It turned there was a small garden and garden bower that sheltered him perfectly. He stayed there till late evening, looking at the flowers and leaves. He witnessed how the ground soaked with water, creating puddles around and how the grass become fresher, vivid and greener.

 

He changed into more sporty clothes and wore sports shoes, then go out. He waved his hand to the old man who was sitting under the blanket on the patio. Ryeowook jumped one stair down the patio, then run down the road towards the beach.

 

 

 

A/N: Next chapter is up! Guys I’m getting worried, I get no feedback from the first chapter. I’m getting scared that you may not like that fic L Please leave a comment so I will know if you even read that T^T It made me sad to see no one wrote anything to me T^T