three

hunter and hunted

"Stolen." 

Momo paced the room back and forth. 

"Yes. Someone got to it before you."

"Are you kidding me?"

"Why would I be? Honestly, I could break out of these handcuffs right now if I wanted. I could easily knock you out, pick those locks on the door, and go. But I'm not. Because I need you."

"I'm perfectly capable of completing this mission on my own now that I know you don't have the capsule." Momo pulls her gun off the table, and points it at the doe-eyed girl on the chair. "I don't care if you need me or not. I don't need you."

"I know who stole it!" Mina yells out quickly. "She's still in this city."

Momo lowers her weapon slightly so it's pointed not inbetween Mina's eyes, but right at her heart.

"Listen," Mina stutters, part of her poise lost under the threat of death, "we can make a deal. We work together to get the real capsule back. Once we have the capsule back, it's every woman for herself. A temporary alliance. If you kill me, you lose all your leads." 

Momo wants to say no, she's a bit bitter, but deep down she knows she couldn't pull the trigger on the girl in front of her anyway. With only four days left, she's got to do whatever it takes to get that capsule. Even if it means working with Mina. 

 

"Her name is Minatozaki Sana. She snuck into my hotel room two nights ago, through the window, and managed to crack the safe. I managed to get some security footage of her and compare it with your agencies database, I hacked it sorry-"

"You know how to hack?" Momo interrupted. 

"I know how to do a lot of things." Mina said. "Uh, anyway, she's some sort of world renowned thief. She had an accomplice, but it was too dark for me to really see."

A memory tickles the back of Momo's mind, of Agent Eunha complaining of an impossible-to-track thief. Someone named Sana. 

"I don't think she's left Paris just yet. I tracked her down before you, you know, tried to kidnap me, and she was staying at a hotel under a fake name not too far from here." 

"I successfully kidnapped you." Momo mumbles. 

Mina rolls her eyes, but the other can see she's stifling a small laugh. 

 

Momo starts finding bits of Mina that she likes—she likes the shape of her lips, and her gentle giggle, the way she always has to brush her hair out of her eyes. Mina is, in Momo's mind, a mystery waiting to be solved. She can't tell if she's hunting Mina or Mina's hunting her. 

 

"We're looking for someone who checked in under the name... Jung Eunbi?" Mina asks the hotel clerk in her almost perfect French. 

"Oh yes." the woman smiles. "She just checked out today. She said she was going to visit the Louvre before she left Paris." 

 

"Why are you wearing stilettos?" Momo looks at Mina, almost disgusted. "We're on a high class mission and you chose the worst footwear possible."

"They make me feel powerful."

Momo scoffs, and tilts her sunglasses down, scouring the crowd for Sana's face. 

"There's too many tourists." she hisses.

"The profile I read said she likes 18th-century European art. Maybe in she's that part of the museum." 

"We don't even know if she's still here. Maybe she's already on her next flight."

"It's worth a try."

 

They hurry through the museum, past the ancient Egyptian artifacts, through hallways, and up winding staircases. 

That's when they enter a large room, painted red, with huge paintings on every wall, and a single bench in the middle. Staring at a piece depicting a woman lying in a field of flowers is a girl with straight black hair, small lips, wearing a long trench coat and sunglasses perched on her forehead. When Mina and Momo spot her, her eyes widen, and she quickly stands up.

"It's her!" Mina yells.

"Shhh!" a security guard whispers. 

Mina scurries down the steps, but Sana moves quick, dashing into another room and dialing a number on her phone. 

That's when the fire alarm suddenly goes out throughout the entire museum, and crowds of people begin flooding from room to room trying to find a door. 

Sana is lost in the crowd. 

"See!" Momo says angrily. "She wore boots, so she can run faster." 

"Shut up." groans Mina. "We lost track of her."

"Do we have any idea where she's heading next?" 

"New York."