Black Coffee

Menboong (Mental Breakdown)

“One macha latte please.”

She ordered while the barista nodded. True to her words, Sandara decided to meet up with her cousin Bom. The last time she met her was during their high school graduation. After that, she immediately flew to Amsterdam. Her first stop of escapade in Europe. Bom was angry with her at first for not saying goodbye, but eventually, they continued their friendship through emails. She was not just her cousin. She’s also her best friend. She also met her once in Paris during one of those fashion weeks. Bom’s a big fan of high fashion brands, so when she learned that Dara was there for the meantime, she immediately flew to meet her and they both attended one show.

“Here’s your latte ma’am”

She smiled and paid for her drink. She choose a table near the door so she could easily spot her cousin. She doesn’t want to admit it but nowadays, she is having trouble with her sight. She believes she’s becoming near sighted but doesn’t want to wear eyeglasses.

“Here is for the breaking news”

She turned her attention to the flat screen tv of the cafe.

“Top hallyu chaebol actor is seen kissing a popular soloist! The soloist is believed to be in a relationship with another singer so paparazzi were shock when they caught the said actor and soloist kissing inside a bar!”

 Sandara rolled her eyes while taking a sip of her drink. When she heard “the breaking news”, she was expecting something serious.

“Both agencies of the two denied the accusations and are gearing up for filing a case against those who are spreading this rumors”

“”

She heard someone say making her almost choke on her drink. She looked sideways and saw a woman all clad in black. She’s wearing a black beanie, big black sunglasses, a black mouth mask, a black mini dress and black flat sandals. She looked around and saw the other customers look at her too.

“Um excuse me?”

“It’s me ugly”

The woman said, taking a seat in front of her. Sandara was taken aback. There is only one person who would call her that.

“Bom???”

“PSSSSHH”

She put her finger on Sandara’s lips.

“Can’t you lower your voice?”

Dara swatted Bom’s hand and raised her brows at her.

“I missed you too”

She fired back sarcastically. Bom just shrugged.

“Excuse me. One black coffee here!”

She yelled making the others look at them again. Dara rolled her eyes at her cousin’s antics.

“What’s with the get up?”

They waited after the waiter finished serving the coffee. Bom immediately took it and had a long sip.

“Yah~ What’s going on?”

“What do you mean?”

Dara huffed. Bom still haven’t changed a bit. Seeing Dara’s irritation, Bom started to laugh. She was laughing so loud, some of the customers throw  disapproving looks.

“Yah ugly! Can’t believe you forgot that I am celebrity!”  

She chuckled loud enough just for the two of them to hear. Sandara blinked a couple of times before the word registered on her brain. Oh yeah! Bom’s a popular singer in Korea! Seeing her expression, Bom shook her head in amusement.

“Man! You have a celebrity cousin but you forgot! I am hurt!”  

She punched Dara’s shoulder quite hard making the other squirm.

“I’m sorry okay? I keep forgetting! Geez! You’re such an amazonian!”

She yelped in pain.

“If you don’t want to get recognized you should not wear clothes like that!”

“What do you mean?”

“Are you serious? You looked like you are asking for attention!”

“Yah! I didn’t dress like this on purpose okay?! I just finished shooting a music video and I came here immediately!”

Bom fired back, crossing her arms. Dara felt sorry for dissing her but she knows Bom can’t get angry with her.

“Omo~ I am so glad I have a cousin like you! Ottoke! What to do?? I mean, I have such a wonderful, beautiful, amazing, talented ----”

“Yah ugly~ you want to die?”

Bom hit her again but this time playfully. They both laughed and started talking about random things.

“By the way, who were you calling a a while ago?”

Sandara asked in between her sips. Bom raised a brow and irritation showed on her face.

“Who else?”

She retorted.

“Yah~ you’re acting as if you’re that soloist involved.”

Sandara blinked before realizing something.

“YAH! Don’t tell me that you are indeed that girl!”

She pointed an accusing finger at her cousin. Bom growled in irritation.

“No way!”

She firmly cried.

“I’d rather get mobbed by my antis than date that disgusting !”

“Oh. So you do know who that actor is!”

“Of course I do! How many chaebol actors are there in korea?!”

 “Wow. You really hate him don’t you?”

“I used to not, but then she started dating my friend - the soloist- and now he is denying her! Of course I hate him!”

“But I think the girl is at fault too. She’s in a relationship right? Why get involved with another guy?”

Bom just sighed and closed her eyes.

“I’m sorry if I’m taking my frustration out at you Dara~ I just hate it when someone takes advantage of another person.”

“I understand. You used to protect me in high school remember? This friend of yours is lucky to have you.”

Dara smiled sincerely. Bom is a feminist. She used to get into trouble with her words a lot in school but she just meant well.

“Anyway, back to the more important things, why are you back here in Korea?”

Dara blinked and chuckled.

“Yah~ did you and my brother talked? You guys are saying the same thing to me”

She was laughing awkwardly.

“We didn’t, but most of our family members are saying the same. You should go back Dara”

“Yah”

“We’re saying this for your own good.”

“I’m going to stay”

She looked at Bom with desperation.

“Please Bom. I’m tired of running away. It was not even my decision to leave. This is my home.”

“She’s going to give you a hard time. You do know that”

“I know”

She sighed. Bom looked at her before taking another sip of her coffee.

“So what do you plan now?”

For the first time, Dara didn’t know what to answer. During her stay in Europe, she took an online course at a prestigious university. She just graduated a month ago and decided to go home. Now that she’s here, Bom’s question hit her. What will she do now?

“Be my PR officer”

“Huh?”

“You heard me. I know you took business management courses in Europe. Put that to use and be my PR officer. Well not really my PR officer but the agency’s. There are looking and I think you suit the position.”

“But I don’t know anything about entertainment.”

“You’ll be fine. You’ll learn about it along the way”

Sandara paused for a moment.

“Arasso~ I’ll apply then”

“Great! You’re hired!”

 Bom stood up and slapped her back.

“Wait- what?”

She stood up too and followed her cousin.

“Just like that?”

Bom stopped on her tracks and faced her still confuse cousin.

“I already submitted your application days ago. No one really applied so you got hired on the spot. You work starting tomorrow.”

She stated matter of fact before turning around towards her car.

“Ottoke~ Bommie! Saranghae!”

Bom stopped amidst opening the driver’s door and looked back at her.

“Yah ugly”

“Huh?”

“You better start drinking coffee again if you don’t want her to intimidate you if you know what I mean”

Bom looked so serious.

“I am trying Bom”

“Try harder.”

She answered back almost immediately.

“See you tomorrow”

She added before entering her car and driving off.