Butterfly (CL & KAI)

My 2nexo Archive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Description

“Shhh…the weird b*tch is coming.” Chaerin heard right after entering the school’s hallway. Few girls dashed away while giggling and even looking at her over their shoulders. Having fun, huh? Chaerin grimaced with disgust.


 

Chaerin smacked her bubble gum. She tied her jacket around her hips already feeling tired of school - the place full of weak people.


 

She wasn’t one of them. No way in hell.


 

Chaerin sighed when her homeroom teacher stepped on her way. Just my luck. Mr. Kim, the P.E. teacher measured her from heads to toes and touched his temples in disbelief.


 

Chaerin casually took of her shades and stared back into his eyes with hands crossed in front of her chest.


 

“You’re not helping here Chaerin-ah.” The teacher stated “Your skirt is too short, what about your shirt’s sleeves? Did you pin studs in them? Are you some kind of a celebrity to come here with sunglasses on? And what’s with that makeup?” he asked rather calmly.


 

“You’re not much of a help here either… Sonsengnim.:” Chaerin scoffed back annoyed.


 

“Chaerin-ah I let it go when you dyed your hair blonde even though other teachers wanted to put you to suspension for a week. I stood up for you knowing how hard your situation was.” He added making Chaerin to only roll her eyes “Wouldn’t a tiny little bit of your help to fix the situation? Make them see you in the brighter light?”


 

“Yah, Sonsengnim … I’m in a hurry. I’m sure you don’t want to see me at the staff’s room later because I was late for class?” Chaerin replied and not even waiting for his answer went ahead through the hallway.


 

“Tch! Yah! Behave today…” The teacher yelled after her frustrated and himself headed to the school’s gym.


 

Chaerin walked into the classroom where as always only murmuring of her classmates greeted her. Her desk was disturbingly clean today. What? Did they get bored? Chaerin thought and sat on the chair. Seeing how others kept glancing at her, she casually put her legs on the table, giving all of them.


 

I hope that they’ll get scared. she thought and turned her head to look through the window.


 

“I heard she’s possessed …” someone whispered.


 

“Yah, she already looks like a delinquent. ~Scary~” another person added.


 

“I would’ve also lost my sanity If I lived in a haunted house like hers.” High-pitched female voice said.


 

“I heard that the circumstances of her parents death remained unknown. Even after all those years.” someone added.


 

“Her grandmother’s a witch. Did you see her? I’m serious. That’s not a joke…” a boy with thick glasses said.


 

Chaerin felt her insides turning upside down. Nothing hurt her more that people treating her family as if they were trash. All of them know s*it.


 

She could feel the burning stares on her skin. Ever since she stopped caring about what they thought or said about her, every day started the same – without her trying to explain what the truth about her family was. The less they know, the better it is. Chaerin kept repeating.


 

With time even Chaerin started wondering with what gossips will the people at school come up today. And she could swear that their imagination was definitely on another level but… were all of the things they said wrong?


 

“I saw her Grandfather at the market yesterday. I thought I’ll get cursed or something.” The same boy from before said.


 

Chaerin pulled out her textbook and threw it on the desk harshly. The smacking sound made everyone wince surprised.


 

“Yah? If you are disappointed that he didn’t? Want me to curse you right here? Right now?” Chaerin leant forward and smiled like a psycho.


 

The boy gulped nervously while others did everything they could to avoid her gaze.


 

“Or maybe I should tell my dear ghost friends to visit you tonight?” she added “Especially girls will love it. Poor, young souls … craving for young men’s flesh…”


 

Seeing how drops of cold sweat came out onto his forehead, Chaerin internally smiled to herself. Another as*hole out! Hah…


 

“Students attention.” The teacher walked inside and the 1st period with the gloomiest atmosphere ever started.


 

Chapter 1

With heavy feet Chaerin stopped in front of her house’s gate.


 

Another tuff day and it’s only the beginning. She sighed and grabbed the handle.


 

After that carefully she peeked inside with a bitten lower lip. Maybe they’re busy today? She wondered. Maybe they’ll let me rest today?


 

However at the moment she let her guard down someone’s hand grasped around her shoulder like some kind of a snare. Chaerin felt cold shivers running down her spine. Only one person in that house could make her feel that way.


 

“Grandma?” Chaerin whined as soon as the tiny woman with dozens of wrinkles covering her face started pulling her away from the house’s main door to the side – where their family shop was placed. They dashed through the idyllic garden her grandfather has been growing so devotedly since Chaerin could remember.


 

“Hurry up Chaerin-ah, the line is pretty long already. Your grandfather’s been keeping the customers busy till now, but they’re starting to get whiny.” Her grandmother said and without even waiting for what Chaerin had to say, pulled her inside the shop’s back room. “Hurry ~hurry!” was all she said.


 

Chaerin sighed in despair unable to say no.


 

Her grandmother started throwing colorful Hanboks out of the drawers. Knowing what was going to happen next, Chaerin started undressing.


 

“How was school today?” grandmother asked while helping Chaerin out.


 

“Pretty normal… I guess.” Chaerin replied and let her grandma put the Hanbok pieces on her.


 

“And what does ‘normal’ mean in your opinion?”


 

“Ayyy Helmoni~” Chaerin whined and gasped out for breath when the older woman tied the straps a bit too tight.


 

“I hope that Mr. Kim won’t call us again?” Grandmother asked a bit harshly. Even though she loved Chaerin deeply, she had to play the bad policeguy sometimes too.


 

Chaerin scoffed and pouty sat in front of the dressing table. As usually, her grandma with agile hands tied her hair into precise bun and stuck a golden hairpin in it to crown the masterpiece.


 

Then with fast but still careful movements, she put red, creamy lipstick on Chaerin’s lips.


 

“Done.” The woman stated and walked away for a moment to find the last missing piece of Chaerin’s look.


 

Chaerin looked at her reflection in the mirror. Here she was living a second life and looking like a woman straight from Joseon era that she saw in historical books, on art pieces or during new Lunar year celebrations.


 

She avoided waring it at all cost and wore Hanbok only here – at her workplace.


 

Many would’ve called her a witch, others would’ve called her a medium, because ever since she was young, ghosts were following her for 24 hours a day.


 

Chaerin touched her neck and grimaced worriedly. Another day in business? She thought and wrapped fingers around the thin chain. Then she slid the necklace out and placed it on top of the Hanbok’s outer robe.


 

The sliver pendant shaped into a butterfly shined soothingly.


 

“Here.” Grandma pulled the white mask in front of Chaerin’s face.


 

With dozens of second thoughts like not giving a damn about the business and escaping from there right away, Chaerin sighed again and took it into her hands.


 

“I’ll check if everything in the meeting room is ready. You have five minutes Chaerin-ah.” Grandma placed a swift kiss on Chaerin’s forehead and rushed out of the room.

 

“Five minutes…” Chaerin repeated and glanced at the necklace again.


 

She took it off after hesitating few times and looked around.


 

“Finally she took it off!" the female ghost that was sitting right next to her cheered.


 

“I thought you forgot about greeting us today Chaerin-ah!” another girl added with a pouty face.


 

Chaerin touched her temples. Why do I always hope that all of this would be just a dream? She thought.


 

“Did you have fun today? How was school?” the third girl asked with a bit of aegyo.


 

“I managed to scare one of the boys saying that you’ll visit him at night.” Chaerin replied.


 

“Omo!” the ghost with puffy cheeks and crescent shaped eyes materialized in front of Chaerin’s face “Was he cute?” she asked.


 

Chaerin thought about it for a second “Nope~” she almost giggled while remembering the guy’s scared face.


 

“This way she’s not going to find a boyfriend anytime soon.” The thinnest of the female ghosts stated.


 

“Who said I’m looking for any?” Who would even want to know me… Chaerin thought.


 

“But you still have us.” the third ghost with two tiny ponytails said sadly.


 

“I know.” Chaerin replied with a smile.


 

Actually those three ghosts were better to her than any female friends she could ever imagine to have. All three of them didn’t remember the way they … died, but by the way they were dressed in high school uniforms, Chaerin suspected the they were classmates or friends even before.


 

“Alright girls, we have work to do.” Chaerin stated trying to sound excited and put the mask on. She put the necklace inside the tiny pocket she had hidden in the dress’s sleeve.


 

“Help me out there…” she added and stood up confidently.


 

The girls looked at each other “You can always count on us.” the thinnest one said.


 

As she was getting closer to the meeting room, she could already feel the gloomy and thick aura spreading out of it. Being there always tired the hell out of her. Hell… Chaerin shook her head. How ironic…


 

Chaerin knocked to the door and recognized her grandfather’s shadow behind it. After opening them for her, he leant closer and caressed his long beard.


 

“This time it’s a widow. Her husband died after divorcing her and remarrying another woman. That woman was way younger than him.” He whispered into her ear.


 

When he left, Chaerin looked down at the woman sitting at one of the pillows and emotionlessly looking at the cup of tea standing on the table in front of her.


 

Chaerin took a deep breath and sat at the opposite side of the table. Even though she liked helping these people at setting their minds and hearts at peace, helping them forget and live, communicating with ghost and cursed souls was difficult sometimes.


 

“Ahjumoni?” Chaerin called the woman.


 

She looked at her with teary eyes.


 

“I heard about the medium here from a distant acquaintance… “ she started coldly “I decided to came here myself and check if you were worth something.”


 

Great… Chaerin sighed.


 

“Tch! What is wrong with her?” one of her ghost friends scoffed.


 

“Our Chaerin’s the best.” The other one added.


 

Not wanting to say anything to them in front of the customer, Chaerin slightly gestured them to keep quiet with her hand.


 

“My husband… died.” The woman said “I wanted to know… if there’s any possibility of talking with him.”


 

Chaerin straightened her back “It depends. If there’re some unfinished business he left in our world, I’ll be able to summon his soul… if not – I won’t be able to help you.”


 

The woman nodded her head.


 

Chaerin grabbed the brush and pointed it at the paper that’s been laying on the table. “What was your husband’s name?”


 

“Lee HyunSeok”


 

With precise calligraphy Chaerin wrote his name down and said each syllable out. “Lee-Hyun-Seok, I summon you.”


 

The moment she said it her vibrant voice dispersed around them like a shock wave.


 

Chaerin had her eyes closed tightly, while listening to her surroundings. Not even three beats of her heart passed when she heard him.


 

Chaerin opened her eyes and through holes in the mask saw him. A poor shadow of a man in his forties, who was hovering in the air right next to his ex-wife.


 

“Now you can ask three questions.” Chaerin continued.


 

The woman with eyes like coins looked at her in disbelief “Is he here?” she asked.


 

“Yes.”


 

“Where’s he?” the woman asked and looked around hoping to see him.


 

“I’m sorry but … you won’t be able to see him.” Chaerin already lost the count of how many times she’s been saying that to the customers.


 

“What? Am I supposed to believe that?” the woman at the verge of tears “Then… then ask him why did he leave me? After 20 years of marriage?”


 

Chaerin looked at the her ghost-husband. He’s been looking at his wife sadly. “I was stupid to let go of you… I stopped seeing all the happiness that surrounded me with you by my side.” He replied slowly.


 

Chaerin repeated each of his words.


 

“Was it worth it?” the woman asked when first tear slid down her cheek.


 

“Not only that woman’s words poured the poison inside me. I stopped seeing clearly because of her.”


 

“You said that the ghosts with unfinished business aren’t able to leave our world…” the woman asked Chaerin.


 

“Yes.”


 

“Why can’t you leave?” the woman asked her ex-husband.


 

“Because I regret… I regret so much… if you could only forgive me…”


 

The woman straightened her back and grasped the bag on her knees tightly. “I should let you stay in that state forever… how much I wish that you would hurt just like I did.” She said.


 

“But… “ the woman looked to her side and Chaerin felt her heart squeezing because it looked just as if she was seeing him too.


 

“I forgive you for the sake of our children… I forgive you.” she said calmly.


 

Chaerin looked at the ghost- husband. The beatitude expressed on his face was indescribable. Her turned his head at Chaerin’s direction. ”Tell her that she was the only woman I ever loved truly in my life.” He said.


 

When she did as he said, his see through but still thick like fog body dispersed slowly. It wasn’t the first time that such situation happened in front of Chaerin but… love? isn’t it fascinating? Chaerin thought.


 

The woman thanked Chaerin and left the room in silence. Does she feel better now? Was asking about him necessary? Couldn’t she simply forget about him if he hurt her so badly? Does she still love him no matter what happened?


 

So many questions and none was answered. “So touching~” one of the female ghosts cried.


 

Another customer walked in. However it was weir because usually Chaerin’s grandfather would come and see how she was after the previous session.


 

“Annyeonghaseyo.” Chaerin bowed at the old lady who entered.


 

“Annyeonghaseyo.” The woman answered and slowly sat on the pillow.


 

“What brings you here?” Chaerin asked and ripped the paper with the previous ghost's name into half – to break the spell of summoning.


 

“I came to see you child.” The old lady replied with a raspy voice.


 

“Yes? And?”


 

“How come I couldn’t sense your energy earlier? Now I can see with my own eyes that you’re truly powerful.”


 

“Excuse me?” Chaerin was confused.


 

“Something’s not right…” Chaerin’s thinnest ghost friend stated all of a sudden, making her even more tensed.


 

“But your mother learnt the spells of hiding well…” the old lady said “…and she used a lot of them to hide you Chaerin-ah.”


 

“Excuse me but… “ Chaerin stood up and moved away from the table “… I must ask you to leave.” She added while the three ghost-girls tried to somehow shield Chaerin but it was all pointless.


 

The lady with skin so dry and wrinkled like a dried persimmon laughed creepily.


 

“Remember my words:

Beware~ Beware of the wolf in the boy’s skin.

Beware of his dark eyes and lustful touch.

Beware of the one who’s willing to take away your soul.

Because you are the key to his invincible strength,

He’ll not hesitate to mark and make you his own~”


 

The old lady said with an unnaturally deep voice.


 

“What the?”, “What was that?” the ghosts were as astonished as Chaerin.


 

At the same time the door through which the customers usually entered opened up and Chaerin’s grandfather walked in. “Chaerin-ah?”


 

All of a sudden the cape the old woman’s been wearing fell on the floor. Her body changed into black smoke and dispersed right away.


 

“What happened?” grandfather asked surprised after seeing the mysterious material on the floor.


 

Chaerin felt goosebumps all over her skin. What the hell is the meaning of what happened just now? What did I do?


 

“Chaerin-ah?”


 

“Grandpa?” she took off her mask “I… I don’t think I can do this anymore…” she said thinking that it was the best way to avoid and other, unpredictable situations.


 

She had no idea that it was already too late.


 


 

To be continued


 


 

<3<3<3<3

So what do you think? I hope that you found it interesting

I’m slowly introducing the characters ^^ the three female ghosts~

WAITING FOR YOUR COMMENTS!!!

Thank you for your support


 

 


 

“Can you smell it Sehun-ah?” Kai deeply inhaled the air that surrounded him.


 

“What? Is it here?” Sehun asked with a pouty face because he couldn’t smell anything that would catch his attention.


 

“Yes…” Kai opened his eyes still mesmerized by the scent that’ve been giving him a seriously hard time for the past few days. Ever since he left the Underworld.


 

“Are you going to eat it all by yourself?” Sehun asked with a bit of hope in his voice.


 

Kai frowned at his question “That soul is mine… It always was.” He stated and looked at the beautiful Seoul panorama.


 


 

Chapter 2 : Hidden evil

Chaerin took the raspberry smelling like foam into her hands and gently blew it off after staring at it for a moment. She’s been sitting in the bathtub for past twenty minutes, thinking about what happened today.


 

When she told her grandfather about that old lady, the words she said and how she simply dispersed when he entered the room, it surprised her because he decided to close the shop immediately.


 

Knowing that money was slightly higher than family on grandpa’s ‘most important in life things’ list, made Chaerin even more confused and nervous.


 

“Cheer up~” Minji, the ghost with two little ponytails said while sitting on the floor.


 

“I still get goosebumps all over my body when I remember the tone of her voice ‘Beware…’” Bom tried to resemble the old witch who visited the shop earlier.


 

“Goosebumps?” Dara scoffed “And about what body are you talking about?” she asked making Bom pout sulkily.


 

“What was she talking about again?” Dara asked and grimaced disappointed when the hairbrush she tried to grab didn’t remain in her transparent hand.


 

“Something about a wolf…” Chaeirn hugged her knees and pulled them closely to her chest. She could feel the wrinkles covering her fingertips but leaving bathroom seemed like such a bad idea.


 

“A wolf in the boy’s skin!” Bom cheered quite enthusiastically.


 

Earlier Chaerin didn’t want them to think that she remembered each of the sentences perfectly. “Beware of his dark eyes and lustful touch. Beware of the one who’s willing to take away your soul. Because you are the key to his invincible strength, He’ll not hesitate to mark and make you his own~” What is that supposed to mean? She asked herself.


 

“Wouldn’t having a boy here feel quite refreshing?” Bom asked and inclined her head with dreamy eyes “Don’t you think?” she asked after a while.


 

“Oh c’mon!” Dara rolled her eyes “All you can think about 24/7 are boys!”


 

“Yah!” Bom scoffed back.


 

“Girls! Can you calm down?!” Chaerin burst out suddenly, making them all shut up “I’m tired … all I want to do is forget about that woman and her words. I have school tomorrow.”


 

“But Chaerin-ah? I don’t think what she said is something you can ignore so easily.” Dara stated.


 

“Enough…” Chaerin said and found her necklace – the only medicine she knew for the whole mess she’s been living in. She cruelly stared right into Dara’s eyes right before putting it on. All the three of them disappeared from her sight right away. She was left alone.


 

Finally~ she thought when silence surrounded her.


 

But after a moment of staring at the ceiling loneliness hit her again.


 

They did nothing to deserve this… Chaeirn thought about Minji, Bom and Dara. But I had to do it. Talking with ghost is not normal. I have to rest too. She told herself. It’s not like they’re real?


 

After few more minutes, she walked out of the bathroom dressed in a fluffy robe, with dinosaur slippers on her feet. Her wet hair were hidden under the towel bundled around her head.


 

She instantly noticed the dimmed light in her grandfather’s office. After few seconds of fighting the will to go there rather than going to her bedroom, she ended up heading closer to the source of light on her tiptoes.


 

“How is that possible?” she overheard grandma’s voice.


 

“The great witch of the valley came here to see our Chaerin.” Grandfather replied with hearable concern in his voice.


 

“But Heneul (*Chaerin’s mother/fictional) sacrificed herself so none of them could find her.” Chaerin gently pushed the door and peeked inside.


 

Her mother’s name was never recalled by her family members. Every time Chaerin asked about her mother, grandparents changed the subject, got angry or too confused to answer her. Now Chaerin couldn’t help the curiosity that evolved inside her and leant closer to hear as much as possible.


 

She noticed a piece of white paper lying at the table in front of her grandfather. She recognized the characters written on it with black ink. They represented the cloning spell, which means that the woman who visited Chaerin wasn’t real. It was a clone like vison of a person who sent it.


 

Seem like both of them know who it was. Chaerin thought.


 

“The witch from the valley has an ability to contact the Underworld. I’m afraid that…” grandfather chocked on his words suddenly “…the time when Chaerin’s soul will shine with its brightest light is nearing and many are waiting for that moment. Not every century shamans as powerful as her ooccur.” He added.


 

“What are you saying? It can’t be… it’s too soon?” grandmother couldn’t accept those words.


 

“I know. Neither am I prepared for what is going to happen, but the more time passes the spell of hiding is getting weaker. Chaerin’s 17th birthday is nearing.”


 

“I can’t allow it to happen for the second time.” Chaerin heard her grandmother’s voice “I won’t allow it! Do you hear me?”


 

For the second time? Chaerin repeated. What does it mean? My birthday?


 

“I do.” Grandfather said “But we have to be prepared. Who knows how many of them have left the Underworld already.”


 

“What will we do about Chaerin’s school? Can she still go around Seoul alone?” Grandma asked.


 

“The necklace is still protecting her. I’m not sure how much time we have left but outside the house, she shouldn’t take it off no matter what. If any of them touches her right now, it’ll affect its power fatally.” Grandfather replied after a while “We should not underestimate them. What I’m afraid of the most is that if they come, they’ll have a plan…”


 

“We should reinforce the current spells.” Grandmother stated.


 

“Yes… we should. They won’t be able to come inside until we let them in ourselves.” Chaerin heard the grandfather sighing with defeat in his voice.


 

Hearing that they started moving around the room, Chaerin dashed away from there in a second and quickly run to her room.


 

What are they saying? She thought and curled up on the sleeping mat. The Underworld? Them? Who were they talking about?


 

Did they talk about ghost? Even more ghosts in my life? Chaerin cried and hid her head under the blanket.


 

She wasn’t able to fall asleep for a long time and when finally she managed to, it seemed as if the alarm clock rung few minutes after she closed her eyes.


 

With hands and legs stretched out into all possible directions Chaerin found it hard to move after opening her eyes. She blinked few times dazed and unable to even recognize what day it was today.


 

She reached out her hand to look for the phone and turned the alarm off right away. After sitting up and slapping her cheeks lightly to somehow sober up, she went to the bathroom.


 

Everything seemed fine, just like any other day used to be. She wore her uniform and added few favorite accessories such as skull earrings, black, fingerless gloves and over the knee socks. She ended her look with highly tied, fluffy ponytail and heavy smoky eyes makeup.


 

Mr. Kim is gonna love it. She smirked to herself and hid the butterfly necklace deeply under her shirt.


 

“Grandma?!” Chaerin called out on her way to the kitchen. It seemed quite odd that today she didn’t come to rush or even check if Chaerin actually woke up.


 

Chaerin was about to pass through the living room, but after entering it, she stopped totally astonished with the view that welcomed her there. “What the?” she mumbled and looked around.


 

Her grandparents were casually napping on the sofas while everything around them was covered in paper sheets.


 

Chaerin walked closer and took one of them into her hands.


 

“Hiding barrier spell?” she recognized the characters instantly. Ever since she was young, she’s been learning those spells even though the need of using them never occurred.


 

What the hell are they doing? Why won’t they simply tell me what is going on? Chaerin folded the paper by clenching her fist.


 

“Oh? Chaerin-ah you’re up?” Grandmother rubbed her eyelids after waking up “You’re all ready?” she asked again and looked at the watch.


 

“Omona! It’s so late already?” she stood up and rushed to the kitchen.


 

Chaerin only shook her head. Yeah, as expected she’s acting as if nothing happened. She thought and headed to the entrance.


 

“Chaerin-ah your breakfast!” Chaerin heard while putting her black platform sneakers on.


 

“I’ll eat out or buy something later.” Chaerin casually threw her schoolbag over her shoulder and was about to leave when someone grasped her shoulder.


 

“What now?” she turned back pissed off.


 

Her grandfather was staring at her with tired, veiny eyeballs “Here!” he said and shoved a pile of papers into Chaerin’s hands.


 

“Grandpa what are you?!” Chaerin scoffed.


 

“You have to take them.”


 

“I’m not going to! What if anyone at school notices this? I’m already an outcast, I don’t want to stand out even more!” Chaerin cried and pushed his hands away.


 

“Lee Chaerin!”


 

“But?!”


 

“There’s no but! Here…” Grandfather ped Chaerin’s bag and started shoving the papers inside it. Defeated Chaerin let him do it and simply waited until he was done.


 

How can I even live like this? She asked herself.


 

“The necklace?” Grandfather asked and measured Chaerin’s neck.


 

She dug her hand underneath the shirt she wore and pulled it out for a moment, only to show it to him.


 

“Good. Remember to not take it off no matter what.” Grandfather stated “Now go! The knowledge is waiting! Go, make us proud!” he hushed her out right after grandma handed her lunch in a paper bag.


 

“Come home right after school!” grandma added while both of them waved at her leaving.


 

“Yeah, yeah…” Chaerin wagged her hand at their words without even looking back at the two of them.


 

Fully prepared for the attack? Of the unknown … Chaerin headed to school.


 

As every other day she got in the same bus as always and with earphones on sat near the window. The lyrics of the the first song being played on some radio station started and made her sink into a gloomy atmosphere already.


 

How come everyone is singing about love? She looked through the playlist she had saved and then played some powerful alternative rock.


 

Feeling all pumped up Chaerin entered through the school’s gate and went ahead not caring about the judgmental looks other students have been giving her. She changed into indoor shoes and carefully hid her favorite sneakers inside her locker.


 

Like a Moses in the Bible she did the same with the hallways full of people. All of them dispersed like Red Sea in front of her.


 

Casually chewing on the strawberry bubblegum, she entered the classroom and sat at the her seat 15 minutes before 1st period like a perfect student she always aspired to be. Even though her grades weren’t as perfect as she would like to. She did her best at studying.


 

When class was about to start, even the teacher was surprised that he entered the classroom in deathly silence. Today all Chaerin’s classmates were slightly scared to talk near her thinking that she might’ve overheard. They were afraid to say something unnecessary, that could piss her off.


 

Even Chaerin wondered why were all of them so well behaved today. Only later, after hearing the teacher checking the attendance list, she realized that the boy with thick glasses who was gossiping about her family yesterday and who she threatened with midnight-ghosts visit, was absent today.


 

So that’s why. She giggled to herself and by that assured some of the students who were watching her at the moment that she was indeed crazy.


 

Actually seeing all of them, who’ve been hurting her quite frequently since they became classmates, in such a pity state made her day at school enjoyable.


 

She even threatened a group of ing girls that they’ll probably share his fate the next night, after she overheard them talking more lies about her in the toilet.


 

“Come on.” Chaerin laughed when they run out of there with the speed of light “Are they serious? Thinking I’m a psycho? Murderer? Or even incarnated evil?” she asked her reflection as if it was her only friend.


 

I’m not even 17 yet… she thought sadly.


 

After classes were over, Chaerin was about to change into her own shoes when she heard something clanging inside one of her sneakers.


 

Yah? Seriously? She frowned in disbelief and turned it upside down to throw the pins out of it. “Yah? Is this all you’ve got?!” she hissed at the group of students who’ve been starting at her. She knew that they waited to see her humiliation. Not this time!


 

“Pathetic!” Chaerin scoffed and glared at them till they left.


 

Hearing that all of the pins were out she wore both of the sneakers on. Only with the second one, she didn’t notice that one pin stayed in the shoe and hurt her feet.


 

“Aish!” Chaerin cursed and threw the last pin away.


 

“Yah!” Mr. Kim’s voice called “What mess are you making in here, huh?”


 

“ME?!” Chaerin couldn’t believe it “Sonsengnim? Are you seriously thinking that I put all of these pins inside my own shoes? What am I? An acupuncture master?”


 

“Calm down Chaerin-ah.” Mr. Kim looked at the mess on the floor.


 

“Tch!” she scoffed and looked away from his face.


 

“A mess is still a mess.” The teacher stated.


 

Chaerin put her bag over her shoulder and was about to leave “Someone has to clean it up, don’t you think?” Mr. Kim asked.


 

That way she ended up staying longer than others after class. What is it? Community service?! She internally hissed. Cleaning other’s sh*t. I’m not even on duty this week! She cursed while furiously sweeping the floor. At least I hope that grandpa is not going to have a seizure when I won’t come home straight after classes.


 

Mr. Kim nodded his head after seeing how she cleaned up. “I’ll take this.” He said and took the broom and scoop from her hands.


 

She was about to leave without a word when “Are your family’s shop opened today?” Mr. Kim asked.


 

“Huh?” Chaerin looked at him confused.


 

Ever since Mr. Kim visited her at the shop to contact with his dead wife she started treating him more kindly. To be honest he was the only teacher at the whole school she respected. Because she saw his weak side…


 

“I’m not sure…” Chaerin tried to avoid his eyes. After what happened yesterday, she wasn’t sure if the shop was going to be back in business ever again.


 

“Why? Something happened?” the teacher asked.


 

“Our… medium took few days off…” she replied and felt guilty over lying to him straight away.


 

Thanks to the mask and her attire Mr. Kim didn’t know that Chaerin was the one who helped him to contact with the spirit of his dead wife.


 

“Will it take long?” he asked saddened. Seeing that made Chaerin’s heart clench with remorse.


 

“I’ll tell Sonsengnim as soon as she comes back.” Chaerin said swiftly and turned away at the spot. She got out of school in a hurry.


 

She checked time on her phone and found out that she had less than five minutes to get to the bus stop before her bus leaves. If she missed it, she had to wait for 40 minutes to get on the next one. However it would’ve been pointless because talking a walk back home takes her around half an hour.


 

Chaerin walked alongside the sidewalk in a hurry and at the same time searched for her public transport card inside the bag.


 

She was waiting at the red light when she heard someone crying. What the…? She looked around and saw that no one from the people who’s been waiting for the green light together with her didn’t even bother about it.


 

After internally cursing all of them, she found the source of that whining. Few seconds later when the red light changed to green one, Chaerin didn’t follow the crowd of people but went to the side, where a playground for the kids was.


 

She saw a group of boys around eight years old standing around something. “Yah!” she yelled after coming closer to them.


 

It turned out that they were bullying a boy much smaller and probably younger than them. They were pulling at his hair and shirt, calling him names. Where did they even learn those words? Chaerin thought after hearing them.


 

The boys dashed away with the speed of light as soon as they realized that she’s been talking to them. “Yah, punks!” Chaerin yelled after them.


 

She looked at the tiny, crying boy and bit her lower lip confused. “Are you alright?” she asked but he cried even louder.


 

“Yah… don’t be a pushover!” she scolded him “Boy or girl… what’s the point of being a crybaby? If they see you being weak like this, they’ll bully you even more.” Chaerin said but after seeing his eyes, wasn’t sure if he even understood what she meant.


 

She found a pack of tissues in her bag and gave it to him. “Yah! Where’s your mom?” she asked but at the same moment a woman – the kid’s mom appeared.


 

“Jin-ah?” she called. At the same time Chaerin noticed the mom measuring her from head to toes and then looking at her son’s tears.


 

“What did she do to you?!” the mom yelled and rushed to her son.


 

“I’m sorry… but you misunderstood…” Chaerin tried to explain but instead the woman yelled and scolded her for talking to her son and looking like a delinquent.


 

Delinquent? This is fashion bish… Chaerin thought in disbelief.


 

She touched her temples frustrated. I can’t believe we belong to the same species. She sighed when the overprotective mother took her son out of there and both of them disappeared from her sight.


 

After taking few deep breaths in she turned away and from afar saw the bus she was supposed to take taking off from the bus stop.


 

I can’t believe this. She pinched her earlobes frustrated and knowing that there was no sense in waiting for the next bus, she decided to take a walk.


 

At least the weather is nice. She thought. I’ll relive some stress by walking it out! She internally cheered and fastened her pace.


 

Was trying to see the bright side of any situation she found herself in her flaw? Maybe…


 

The last corridor. Chaerin thought and started looking for the keys in her bag.


 

However right after getting on the final stretch to her house, she heard crying again. That sound made her stop suddenly, but after remembering what happened few minutes ago, she decided to neglect it and go ahead.


 

The crying got louder and more… heartbreaking?


 

That was it. The feeling of her heart being squeezed with remorse made her stop again.


 

She looked around and almost jumped up surprised when she found a tiny little girl with black, wavy hair standing around two meters behind her.


 

“Are you lost?” Chaerin asked after a moment of looking around.


 

The girl wore a plain, white t-shirt and pants slightly oversized on her petite figure.


 

Chaerin’s mouth opened bewildered after the girl stopped crying all of a sudden and looked back at her with big, dark orbs. Beautiful… she thought mesmerized.


 

In silence they kept staring at each other for a solid minute.


 

“Did you lost your mom too?” Chaerin asked but there was no answer.


 

“Do you live nearby?” Chaerin asked again and this time the girl denied by shaking her head.


 

Chaerin took out her phone and was about to dial the emergency number when the screen showed not only that it was out of service but also low battery alert all of a sudden and then it turned black.


 

“What?” I swear there was more that 50% of the battery when I last checked. She thought.


 

The girl looked interested in the content of Chaerin’s bag and walked closer. So cute… Chaerin found herself being off guard again and stared at that child’s beautiful face.


 

It’s just that everything about it was perfect. The eyes, cheekbones, eyebrows, the structure of her nose, pouty lips and even slightly tanned tone of her skin.


 

“How about I’ll call the police from my house? Huh?” Chaerin asked but the kid kept looking at her with no reaction.


 

“Yeeah…. I think that’ll be a good idea.” Chaerin replied to herself and turned away from the kid.


 

But? I can’t leave her here, right? She thought and looked over her shoulder.


 

Omo~! Why is she so cute?! Chaerin cursed at herself for letting that cute kid steal her heart so easily.


 

“Here! Take my hand and let’s eat something delicious!” Chaerin cheered and reached out her hand.


 

The kid looked at it for a moment and slowly grabbed Chaerin’s hand.


 

Chaerin couldn’t see the smile that carved on the child’s lips. Was it a honest, thankful smile? Or rather a cunning smirk?


 

Chapter 3 Tricked

After getting inside the house Chaerin wanted to call the police but neither the phone at home, or her own worked even after she plugged it into the power outlet. What the…?


 

“So what am I supposed to do now?” Chaerin scoffed at herself and looked around the living room. Every few meters, she could see white pieces of paper with black characters written neatly on each one of them. She recognized few while other remained unknown to her. Some were replicated numerous times and stuck to different furniture, walls and even on the floor.


 

Thinking that her grandparents went way too overboard with all those protective spells hung up all

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter