Where Are You?

Look Into My Eyes
Please log in to read the full chapter

The cold gusting wind ripped at his skin like blades. They sliced at his willpower and bled him dry. Once the sword is removed you’ll finally be at peace. If this was what awaited him after nine-hundred years he’d rather suffer another century on Earth. His threadbare clothing was soaking wet and layers of ice stung his flesh. They reminded him that he was alive, yet not quite. And dead, yet not so far removed from suffering to find true peace. Purgatory was the closest way to describe the hell that he was in.

Was he still being punished? Hadn’t he suffered enough?

His boots crunched the snow beneath his feet as he walked toward the East, turning only when he saw no end in sight. Following his own path gave him direction and motivated him to keep moving even though he knew what rested at the end of his journey.

Yet, he pushed forward. His body refused to give in. When he fell he would curse and force himself to rise again. He hadn’t given up in all this time, why should he now? If this was his final test he would conquer it.

Facing the west, Kim Shin peered ahead at the miles of endless snow. White, even. Clean. This could be heaven if it was not for the hellish, biting wind. He crossed his arms over his chest and carried on-- one step after another.

For nine years.

And then he saw it; a flower peeking through the snow. He quickened his steps, falling a few times along the way. When he was a short distance away he stopped and gazed down at it---a buckwheat flower.

A hint of a smile rose to his lips as he remembered Eun Tak’s question. He had answered her so matter-of-factly. If he had known then that he would fall in love with her he would have lied. If it would have saved her from the misery she must be feeling now he would have pushed her away.

He had so many regrets.

Kim Shin knelt and the flower as he tried to push memories of Eun Tak from his thoughts. His mind rested on memories of his time spent with the Reaper. He knew the meaning of the flower because of Wang Yeo. The man spent hours in their library reading books. He should have known who the Grim Reaper reminded him of. Wang Yeo, the King of Goryeo, had an extensive library. He knew more about the history of their Kingdom than many practiced scholars. He’d found the Grim Reaper sifting through his library after moving in. He held a journal about botany.

“A book about flowers. I didn’t take you for a man with feminine interests.” He’d said, making jabs at the other man’s expense. He saw how awkward Wang Yeo was around people, especially women.

“At least I don’t carry Buckwheat flowers to make myself smell nice.”

Kim Shin had glanced down at the bundle of buckwheat flowers in his hands. He’d recently picked them to place on his ‘relative’s graves.’ A grimace creased his face before he smirked. “They are a gift.”

Wang Yeo turned to look at him then, his expression serious. “A gift for who?” He faltered, his social awkwardness presenting itself yet again.

He thought they were for him. How ridiculous.

“Does it matter?”

Wang Yeo had shaken his head. “It could if they were given to the wrong person.” He eyed the bundle with interest, his expressionless glower annoying Kim Shin more than he’d care to admit.

Kim Shin extended his arm then and offered the flowers to the other man, a playful smirk on his aged face. “They’re for you.” He said, watching the other man’s expression.

Wang Yeo’s eyes widened and he stuttered. Kim Shin managed to catch a few random words in the jumbled mess before he asked the man to speak up.

“Do you know what that flower means.” Wang Yeo said. He crossed his arms over his chest, holding the book about botany close to his body like a protective shield.

When he didn’t speak, Wang Yeo cleared his throat and met his gaze. “They mean lovers.” The many, uninterrupted seconds that passed between them as they locked eyes seemed like an eternity before Wang Yeo ducked his head and quickly left the room, leaving him standing in the library alone and lost in his embarrassing thoughts—thoughts he knew Wang Yeo could hear.

 

Why was the flower here? Kim Shin stood and looked around him. There were no trees. There were no other plants. Was there life beneath the snow then? Did that mean it would eventually melt? He pursed his lips and rolled his eyes. If so, it would take years. There wasn’t a sun hot enough to melt all of this snow…

Glancing at the lone flower a final time, Kim Shin moved to continue walking when a sharp, burning pain tore through his chest. He yelled out in agony and collapsed to his knees as his vision blurred and faded to darkness. In the depths of his mind, he could hear a voice—a low, masculine, tenor voice that made his entire body tremble. He clutched at his chest and squeezed his eyes closed.

“Kim Shin. Please…I can’t go on living like this. Please. Kim Shin. I need you. Please…”

He fell backwar

Please log in to read the full chapter