Here I Am

Look Into My Eyes
Please log in to read the full chapter

He never asked for any of this. His life—or rather his death was simple and annoyingly routine. Charioting souls to the afterlife was the reason for his existence and he never questioned it. Life was easier that way, yet twenty eight years ago his life was turned upside down. A soul lost and a blank name card to fill, correcting his mistakes lead him down dark, confusing paths. And during the journey to right those wrongs he’d lost everything. A friend, his position as a reaper…his past love.

He’d spent the last nine years pushing that history into his past. None of it mattered now. No one in that story remembered who he was. Their lives moved on without him—as they should. He gained position as a reaper after exchanging one lost soul for another. Taking credit for the fall of the Goblin hadn’t been his idea. He hadn’t quite come to terms with Kim Shin’s death to formulate such a conniving plan, yet he hadn’t spoken up when the notion was contrived either. Being a grim reaper was the one thing he knew how to do and with no one to love and no one who remembered to love him, placing that black hat on his head and disappearing forever seemed like his only option.

Until he closed his eyes at night; only then did he remember what he tried so hard to forget. Kim Shin was dead—his body turned to ash and crimson flame right before him. He’d seen the look of horror in the lost soul’s eyes when she scrambled to grab her bag. He’d watched her frantically write down her memories as if they’d soon be torn away; gazed down at her as tears of fear and loss streamed down her young face.

‘You have to remember. His name is Kim Shin. He’s tall and has a sad smile. He’ll come as the rain. He’ll come as the first snow. He’ll keep his promise. Remember…You have to remember. You are his bride.”

But she didn’t remember—not even when she gazed down at her notebook seconds later. She read the words as if reading from a fairy tale and closed the book; but not before folding the corner of the page. She’d gotten up, wiped her face and gathered her things, her uncertainty written clearly in the lines of confusion etched on her face as she gazed around at the empty roof top.

He remained hidden; their last contact a brief graze as she rushed past him and descended the emergency steps.

One lost soul exchanged for another. Although he cared for the girl he couldn’t help wishing that it had been her. Having those thoughts cross his mind scared him. What sort of person would think such a thing?

He decided right then to never contact the lost soul.  Nor Sunny. They deserved the peace of mind forgetting him would give them. Things would be as they were before. The only difference was he knew who he was now. He’d have to live with those memories forever.

That wa

Please log in to read the full chapter