One Step at a Time

TURNING PAGE

JIYONG

 

"What the hell is this Kwon Jiyong?" She said in a gritted but hushed tone. She has this constricted look on her beautiful face when she glanced at me but managed to give a chic smile to the camera. I led her to the podium with the photographer.

 

Yes, I brought her to a fashion show with tons of fashion critics and high profiled celebrities that are lining up for the official photo ops.

 

Being the acting Chief Director slash only-nephew-of the Lee Young-ae for SIAF gives more perks than of disadvantages actually. I get the treatment of VVVIP for shows like this and literally to wherever I go. My aunt set up herself so high she's like the Coco Chanel version of South Korea plus my late parents were also known in the industry coming from old money. My mother is a fashion designer while my father runs her fashion house.

 

I am leading Dara out of the podium, when I spotted my good friend Lee Soohyuk talking to a blonde girl, probably one of the designers or guest.

 

Dara is so hard on her heels that it feels like I'm dragging her and its making me like to annoy her more. I placed my hand on her lower back which made her flinch. She tried to remove it but you see, I am as stubborn and brat as I look like so she unfortunately (for her) didn't win, I never let anyone win against me unless I let them.

 

Before we reach where Soohyuk is, the lad already spotted me with a crease on his forehead trying to decipher who I am with. He walked towards us and I was expecting him to greet me but to my surprise, he went straight to Dara, I am about to call him out for his action when he spoke.

 

"Nuna! What brought you here with...Kwon Jiyong?!" He asked surprised mirroring my shocked face. How do they know each other?

 

"Long story Hyukie. Long story." She answered seems exasperated which made me a bit irritated. Hyukie?! So, they are on a nickname basis, I see. Why do I sound like some pathetic jealous boyfriend to this ajumma I just met hours ago?

 

"Hey to you too punk!" I nudged to get the jerk's attention. I'm his friend!

 

"Oh, sorry Jiyong-hyung. I just never expected Dara-nuna to be here, most specially to be with you. I never expected that you knew each other enough for her to be your date?" He hesitated on the last word that for some crazy incomprehensible reason, sounded like a nice music to my ears.

 

"Date? This is what we call baby-sitting Hyukie. I'll go get a drink before I render someone dead on this very spot! You want anything?" she asked Soohyuk, ignoring me. ing great! "Yah! do you want anything?" she asked me, still looking annoyed but it's a starter. She asked me, how happy can I be? HAHA…Pathetic.

 

"Wine will be fine with me" I said.

 

She marched to the bar. We're at the lounge entrance. The venue is set up to be like a casual cocktail party but with high stalls in case some stiletto-wearing guests get tired of standing.

 

"How long have you known Nuna? You're good. She never goes to places like this."

 

"Not too long ago. We just have a deal. Why? What places does she usually go?" I fished.

 

"She likes normal places without press and the likes. You didn't know her that much yet, I see. For starters, she's from old money but only few knows about it because she's a very private person so making her go here is really something. We've known each other since I was kid. She lived in Busan, and their hotel is near our resort. My father gets acquainted and eventually befriended her father. We became constant playmates together with Bom-nuna, Il-woo and another guy. The story ends there." he laughed.

"I can see that glint in your eyes Jiyong. I know you that well. Nuna is a very charming person, everyone who gets to know her, falls for her hard and fast but it just ends there. She's very guarded. You'll fall for her like us, and others. Don't tell me I didn’t warn you.” I looked at Soohyuk's face and I saw something that I’ve never seen in him before. Its pain and hopelessness and boy I am intrigued.

 

Who is this girl I accidentally met, who can allegedly inflict great pain on me? I was so into my deep thoughts that I didn't notice that the girl is already standing in front of me, handing me the wine I asked.

 

"Hey, what's eating you? Here's your wine."

 

DARA

 

He seems so into his world that he didn't notice I've been nudging him for a good minute then he looked surprised I awkwardly handed the glass of wine. We stood like freaking statues for a couple of minutes when the organizer announced that the show will be starting. I almost breathe a sigh of relief because the silence is too deafening between us though the venue is blasting with music. I looked at him to make sure he is paying attention when I accidentally caught him breathing a sigh of relief. He felt it too. It's like the gigantic hall is too small for the both of us to breath.

 

He guided me to one of the front seat or rather cocktail table, his arms placed at my back but not touching it which makes it worse because it makes my hair stand in friction I almost flinch, again.

 

Embarrassing. Get a grip of yourself! I lectured myself.

 

It's not like I'm a 16 years teenage girl attending prom with her boyfriend! What am I thinking? Oh! My God! Am I going crazy? One day with this guy and I'm already getting insane? How will I live for the next months? Think about killing him because he brought you to this show! I told myself.

 

But boy he looked so fine. I can see girls checking him out and the boy knows how to flirt, excellent at that. He flashed a cheeky shy grin and all the girls’ looks like a goner.

 

es.

 

Wait, what? Oh My Lord! My brain is such a rebel! You don't say those filthy words. Where is this coming from? Am I now having a mental debate because I can see an angel and devil in the left and right part of my head!

 

I came back from my reverie when the music started, a sign that the show is finally starting. Thanks heavens!

 

Dresses are such a great diversion. My mind was shut with unwanted thoughts and focused on the models walking the runway wearing nice, fresh pieces, new ideas from young minds. I can say mine is the fusion of the past and the present, but more on the past I think…I'm too hung up with the past than I admit.

 

The past. How beautiful and painful that word is, at least in my ears. It's like owning a beautiful piece of art that is worth millions of dollars. I can't sell it even though a lot wants it, promising a higher price and at the same time, seeing it every day inflicts too much pain in me, it tears my heart apart every day.

 

The past. It was beautiful and sad. We were beautiful together. Like yin and yang. He is the most beautiful boy I've ever seen. We're inseparable; we're both sad, not contended with what we have. I can say that he was my star-crossed lover. We're not meant for each other but we still pushed our luck.

 

The Past...

 

"Park Sandara, I'll give you an assignment here." My class adviser said. "We have a transferee from Seoul and I want you to take responsibility of him and tour him to our facilities and all of the things he needs to know. You can review the Student Handbook for that. On our class, he needs to know where are we on our syllabus. You're the only one I can trust." She's the class president so these kinds of tasks are not so new to her. She's on her senior year and it's weird that there's still a transferee.

 

I was scanning through the books in the library when I noticed a very long legs on the end of the hallway, at the dark side of the room. I decided to check on it because if Miss Hwang the librarian finds it, she'll go ballistic. She doesn't want to see kids sleeping on “her” library.

 

As I got near to the leg-owner, I then saw his face. He's like an angel with bruises and cuts but so beautiful it hurts my eyes. I was so hypnotized and mesmerized to his beauty when someone spoke.

 

"Like what you're seeing?" the leg-owner spoke whilst his eyes closed. I was so startled and embarrassed I want the ground to eat me alive.

 

"I'm so...sorry." I stuttered. Man, I'm nervous as hell! "I was about to wake you up..." I hesitated. GET A GRIP! "You see, the Librarian is not fond of the kids sleeping in here. She might go mad." I answered looking down at my shoes, as if it's the most interesting thing in the world that I am trying to find the greatest mystery of humanity through it. He didn't answer.

 

Did he find me weird or something? Oh My God! I need to get out of here.

 

I started to walk without looking at the man, when suddenly; I felt a grip on my wrist. I was so startled that my heart started to beat more than its normal rate. I looked at the hand that's constricting too much feeling in my consciousness and then the face. That beautiful face that blinded me the second I laid my eyes on it, on him.

 

I didn't believe in Love at first sight but... his eyes. I know that eyes. I know it all too well. It mirrors mine. And I fell in love, right then and there. I know it.

 

"Hmmm... I'm a transferee so I didn't know. Would you mind if you'll help me find my new class?" I hesitated but nod lightly. My mind became paralytic. Oh boy!

 

He let go of my hand and handed me his registry paper. I walked him to his class upon seeing it whilst my mind is flying to the never-never-land.

 

"Nuna!" that voice is familiar. Wait, what? We're in front of my classroom. It's Soohyuk. " Nuna, who are you with?" he asked.

 

"He's the new kid." I looked at the registry paper on my hand, like it's a specimen in my microscope during lab.

 

"Dara! Who are you with?" Ms. Min asked. Before I even answered, she immediately went to us with a big smile. "I knew it, Dara, you're very responsible. I was just waiting for Mr. Lee to arrive; I see you already found him. "Come here Mr. Lee, I’ll introduce you to the rest. First, that girl who helped you is our Class President and she's Miss Park Sandara, she will help you with your first few weeks here to get acquainted and know what you're missing in the lesson." Shock is the first word you'll come in mind if you'll look at me and the class. I guess they were also hypnotized by his beauty.

 

"He's...” Ms. Min was cut when 'Mr. Lee' walked, erase, more like cat-walked in the podium. He smiled at Ms. Min, and since she's a mortal like me, she was rendered speechless too.

 

He had dimples too! Oh God! I think this is illegal! He is so beautiful!

 

"I'm Lee Minho, I'm from Seoul. I hope that my stay here will be worthwhile.” He introduced himself, while looking at me the whole time. ‘Those piercing eyes, so different from his angelic face.’

 

The eyes that held secrets and hurt. It was so intense and captivating, dangerous and anything synonymous.

 

To stop the staring battle, I walked to my seat and decided to think ways how to endure this suffocating feeling on my chest.

 

As soon as I sit, I felt someone's on my tracks... and yes, it was him... he stayed on my tracks... For a very long time now.

 

PRESENT TIME

 

The show soon ended and we headed to the after-party. For some unknown and bizarre reasons, Jiyong stopped talking to me. We stayed for a good few hours and decided to call it a night after saying goodbyes to the designer and Soohyuk whom I forgot to get acquainted with. Jiyong dropped me home and rode a taxi going back to his hotel.

 

The next few days were excruciatingly painful. I found out that Jiyong is the acting Director and Editor-in-Chief of Seoul Institute for Arts and Fashion. How lucky can I be?

 

_______________________________________

 

"That is so unfair! Why do I need to pick you up and sent you to home EVERY-ING-DAY Kwon Jiyong? If I remember it correctly, I'm your TOUR GUIDE, not a bodyguard/driver! You're really getting into my nerves now!"

 

"Wait up Ms. Park, if my memory and the contract you signed serves me right, it says and I quote 'I will serve Mr. Kwon Jiyong as a Road Manager and a Tourist guide 24/7 for 6 months and what does Road Manager do? They drive the client to and forth, from point of origin to point of the destination, and vice versa" Jiyong scrolled to his phone while Dara is busy absorbing the absurdity of the information she just learned. She's so annoyed she wants to bury the smirking devil on her side 6 feet under.

 

Speaking of the devil, Jiyong flashed his phone to Dara's face; she almost become crossed-eyed and was almost blinded by the phone light that is practically brighter than her life for 6mons which made her blood boil to 500 degrees Celsius! Beyond the acceptable boiling point!!! The phone has the PDF version of the signed contract which shows the provision Jiyong just quoted. Although Dara wants to strangle the devil to his death bed, she decided to keep her cool. She knows that she's the loser in the end so let it be. She knows that Jiyong wants her pissed to the point of no return. She decided not to give him that satisfaction. She stayed calm and composed. She'll make him pay back and make sure that his karma is a .

 

Jiyong on the other hand, noticed Dara's silence and decided also to just let her anger subside... FOR A MOMENT... (evil smirk)

 

Jiyong and Dara arrived at the office. And all of the employees noticed the dangerous aura surrounding their boss while the usual grumpy Dara is looking happy and gay. All of the employees are on their toes without knowledge on why the Director is looking so mad.

 

While Dara is driving Jiyong's baby, she 'accidentally' stepped on the gas which caused a very small accident on the road and damaged the car in front of them and of Jiyong's car as well. Jiyong is on the verge of killing Dara but instead, he resorted into planning on how he'll get back on her for damaging his beloved Lamborghini for her lifetime.

 

Despite the aura of both, they were able to finish all of the things they need to finish. Dara was able to submit 6 of her designs that are included in the competition. After finishing, she started on packing her things when she noticed that Jiyong's office door has the "Do Not Disturb" sign while the devil is just concentrating on his phone, evidently playing on it. What irks her more is that she told him that she has an important dinner meeting to attend to for her architectural stunt. It is supposed to be her first official function as an out-of-office intern for the Architectural company. Dara knocked on Jiyong's door and silently went inside.

 

"Hi Director Kwon, it's 6 pm already. Can I ask permission to leave now? I told you that I suppose to have a late dinner meeting with a client." She said in polite way (trying not to provoke the devil dragon)

 

"You did? When?" he asked without even looking at her. THE NERVE!

 

"Yes I did sir. While we're on your penthouse, eating chips last Saturday, watching 'The Fault in our Stars', you sobbing like a teenage girl." She said gritting her teeth but still keeping her calm.

 

"Oh, really? I forgot. Just give me a minute. I just need to attack" He said nonchalantly, intentionally pissing the petite girl in front of him who is looking like a raging bull while he's playing Clash of Clans. Dara did not disappoint Jiyong. Dara is going beast mode right after she heard him say those words.

 

"Kwon Jiyong, it's not funny anymore. You know that this is the very first official intern assignment I got for this week." She said.

 

"Okay! Okay! But since it's a dinner, I'll come with you. We'll go to my friend's pad once you're done. I don't know how to go there."

 

“WHAT KIND OF ABSURDITY IS THIS???"

 

"Take it or leave It." point blank.

 

"Let me call Ilwoo." She said defeated.

 

Dara called Ilwoo and informed him about the situation and he immediately approved on it. Since Dara is just there to serve as his assistant, it won't be a complication to have Jiyong especially since the client is someone from his circle of society.

 

"Ilwoo said it'll be fine. Can we please go now?" she said greatly annoyed.

 

Dara drove to Hongdae since the meet up is in one of the restaurant in there. After parking, she didn't wait for Jiyong to get out of the car and went straight to the reception area and inquire about the reservation. Jiyong walked in annoyed because Dara left him.

 

"Excuse me, a reservation under the name of Jung Ilwoo."

 

"May I please know your name?" said the receptionist.

 

"Oh, yes. I'm Park Sandara, Mr. Jung's assistant and I came with Kwon Jiyong."

 

"Thank you for that information Ma'am. Just give me a second while I check on it." The receptionist started typing on her computer keyboard but the employee glancing at Jiyong doesn't go unnoticed by her and to her pleasant surprise, the devil smirked at the giddy girl flirtatiously.

 

"You'll be using room 5 Ms. Park. Let me lead you the way. This way Ms. Park, Mr. Kwon."

 

They were led to a Japanese style room. What's amazing about the restaurant is that, rooms are named and interiorly designed after different countries. Right after they sat on their chairs. Dara's phone rang.

 

"Hi Mr. Jung, we're here now in the restaurant. I'll be ordering drinks now, is that okay?"

 

"Sure. By the way, they informed us late that the person we'll be meeting today is the owner of the house, not the assistant. I actually don't know him yet. His assistant just confirmed it and he/they will be arriving anytime soon. I'm still here at Yanghwa Bridge, traffic is terrific. I might be a bit late so take in-charge for the meantime, okay?"

 

"Alright. Not a problem."

 

Dara started to look at the menu.

 

"What would you like to eat Jiyong?" she asked.

 

"Salmon Sashimi, take charge of the rest.” He said while looking at his phone.

 

Dara requested for a waiter and a young looking, probably in his early 20's came in. The waiter looks like a model and has a demanding charisma. She got interested immediately as she visualizes the guy wearing few of her works. She was out of track thinking about her designs when Jiyong nudged her.

 

"Earth to you. He's asking for the order. Stop drooling! Please give respect to the man beside you." Jiyong said irritated seeing how smitten Dara is.

 

"Man? Yeah right." she said while rolling her eyes. "I'm sorry. I would like to have 3 iced tea and 2 glasses of water. Please give us Takuyaki and Salmon Sashimi first, we'll order again later when my boss and client came in." she directed to the waiter who bowed courteously.

 

"Alright ma'am. Please allow 5 to 10 minutes for your initial order. Thank you." he smiled

 

After the waiter left, Dara resumed on checking the profile of the client and browsed through the picture of the lot where the house will be built. Ilwoo provided the main area designs that the client requested. She noticed the designs are familiar to her. Three areas in particularly are very much alike to the interior she designed to someone she knows. Someone who had been part of her life, Kim Soohyun. He is the first person she opened her heart to after her star-crossed first love Lee Minho. Both she and Soohyun were board members of their respective Colleges. They met during meetings and eventually became close. Soohyun took Business Administration. What she knows is that his family owns a furniture company and he's to take over the company after graduation. He was such a sweet and thoughtful young man. She fell for him but the love she had for him was not enough to make her heart heal. Their relationship lasted for 2 years; she broke up with him because she doesn't want to be unfair to him. Yes, she loved him but she knows that it was not enough and he will only suffer in the end so she decided not to hurt him any further. Soohyun asked her to design a house for him based on her liking. Later, she learned that it was his dream house for the both of them. He already planned his life with her all along. She was also heartbroken but not for herself but for him. The pain in his eyes when she broke up with him was the most memorable of all. It's too much for her to bear knowing how much he loved her and how much pain she inflicted on him.

 

Dara's thought was interrupted when the door opened. A young looking lady came in. "Hi, I'm Bae Suzy and I am the executive assistant of the client. We saw Mr. Jung in the Parking so Mr. Kim and Mr. Jung are still outside. They said they'll be here in a minute." She said politely.

 

Mr. Kim? That can't be him. That will be a sick joke. There are thousands of Kims in Korea. She thought. "That's definitely fine Ms. Bae. I'm Park Sandara; I'm an intern and Mr. Jung's temporary assistant. I'm with Kwon Jiyong." She kicked Jiyong's feet under the table. The devil is still busy with his phone. Jiyong looked at her annoyingly and looked at Suzy and nodded then eventually went back to playing his phone. "Please sit." Suzy gave them a timid smile and sat on the third chair to the last, in front of them. After a couple of minutes, Ilwoo came in and a worry is evident on his face. Dara prayed that it's not him but odds might be really displeased to her way of living for the past years and all of the bad luck is pouring on her face. A shining Kim Soohyun came in the room, all smiles. The same smile he had years ago. He looks younger even. He went straight in front of me.

 

"Nuna. It's been a while." He said.

 

Jiyong's ear dinged by the way the newly arrived client spoke. He looked up and saw that it's Kim Soohyun. He once had a photo shoot with the lad when he was featured as one of the most successful and eligible bachelor of South Korea. He was looking at Dara differently. It's a look of longing and admiration if you base it on a guy's point of view. For no reason, Jiyong got irritated even though he is not sure why.

 

"Kim Soohyun-ssi..." Jiyong noticed Dara's shocked reaction. Jiyong wonders what’s their relationship.

 

"You're too formal nuna. Just call me just like before" He said still smiling which made Jiyong more irritated. He coughed just to get the attention of both.

 

"Oh! Kwon Jiyong-ssi! You're here! I heard that you took over SIAF when Lee Young Ae-nim went to Paris." He said politely directing to Jiyong but a flash of confusion didn't go unnoticed when Jiyong shook hands with the guy.

 

“Yeah, guess she got tired of her job so she passed it on me." he answered with a hint of seriousness. He's so intense and annoyed he forgot that his grip was getting really strong. Soohyun winced a little and Jiyong felt a forceful tug from Dara. He finally let go of Soohyun's hand and they both sat on their respective chairs to ease the unidentified tension.

 

"Hmmm… May I ask why are you here Jiyong-ssi? I don't mean to be rude but I'm just curious." Soohyun asked in a serious tone.

 

"Oh! Me? I'm with Dara. Don't worry, it's not like I understand anything about architecture. Just treat me like I’m not here and you can discuss." he said nonchalantly. Dara elbowed Jiyong.

 

Dara managed to become professional and look unaffected while talking about the design. Soohyun pursued the design she made for him and it makes it more awkward after secretly knowing that it is supposed to be the house he wants for the both of them.

 

After 2 hours of discussion, it's time for them to bid goodbye. Her, Ilwoo and Jiyong sent Soohyun and Suzy in their ride.

 

She didn't expect what happened next...