Rogue Life -2

Rogue Life
CHOI SINHU AGE 49  04/10/1961-01/19/2017  
 
 
I stood in the front of the room watching the dark mourning masses as they payed their respects.
“How could anyone do this? Who was motivated enough to kill the chief on vacation?” I pondered as I stared intently at his picture in the center of the room, a centerpiece to the dark wood casket that held his remains. I reflected back to the last time I had spoken with him, it was shortly before he had left on his much needed vacation.
 
“Mr Choi, sir, you're still here? You should be home it’s late,” I said finding him still in his office after closing.
 
“I could say the same to you Onew,” He said with a chuckle before rifling through a disarray of case files. 
 
“I have so much work to do when I get back from my break,” he sighed “Better that I try and tackle some of it early on.”
 
“I could help sir, you work so hard already,” I said with a timid smile.
 
“Thanks Onew. But Korea has some dark secrets. I don’t want you and the team to be taking cases like mine for awhile” he said with a serious tone.
 
“Besides you’re still young, you should be out dating and enjoying your youth,” he laughed trying to break the ominous mood.  
 
“Yes Mr Choi,” I said bowing respectfully.
 
~
 
I finished paying my respects before heading towards the exit, I didn’t want to stay here any longer than I needed to. I looked up to see Minho standing at the glass doors staring at me.
“Are you okay Onew hyung?” he asked placing his hand on my shoulder, trying in his own way to comfort me.
“Ne... I just feel bad for Mr Choi’s family...”
“We all do Hyung,” He said solemnly. I turned slightly my vision focusing on Mr Choi’s family across the room, hugging their grieving mother. I could only imagine what they were going through.
“Shall we go then hyung? Jonghyun’s waiting,” Minho said breaking the silence
“I guess we should go back to the office and see what's going to happen next,” I sighed as we walked outside, the bright humid temperature almost seemed mocking to the current situation.  Minho turned to me, giving me a stern look.
“I know what’s happening next. We can catch the bastard that did this,” he spoke sharply as he walked ahead of me and opened the car door to get inside, I just sighed at his anger.
“We don’t even know who will get the case,” Jonghyun spoke up from the backseat of the car.
“The chief would have decided that,” Minho said sadly. 
I hopped into the driver’s seat and headed towards the office. It was a quiet ride back, I felt lost in thought wondering what would happen now without the chief. We pulled into the back of the office and made our way inside. I pulled the door open and  was greeted by a busy looking Kibum who was carrying a large file of paperwork
“Oh Onew, you’re back! There’s some people here to see you.”
“Who-” I was about to ask when I was interrupted by Jonghyun.
“Bummie let me help you with that!” he said with a stupid grin on his face, almost like a big happy puppy dog.
“Thanks Jjong” he said lovingly and handed Jonghyun the large stack of papers, then turned to look back at me
“I'm not sure, they just asked for you. They’re waiting for you in the main conference room.”
“Okay thanks Kibum,” I replied, leaving Kibum with a tail wagging Jonghyun.
When I reached the conference room I was greeted by three older men they looked important.
“Hello,” I bowed.
“Hello Mr Lee, It’s nice to finally meet you,” He replied. “Sorry to hear about Mr Choi, he will be greatly missed. He was an indispensable member of this corporation.”
“Ne um.. So is there something I can help you with?” I asked.
“Yes, is there somewhere private we can talk?” He asked.
“Of course, follow me,” I said nodding toward the door. I escorted them back to my office through the hall and closed the door. I gestured for them to sit and sat across from them at my desk.
“Okay, Mr Lee, as you know a very important asset from our team has been lost this week and that position will need to be filled. Mr Choi had a very important job, not just here but all over South Korea..” 
I nodded, my head a little confused at what this man was implying. 
“He had a very high opinion about you Mr Lee. I’ll cut to the chase, I need you to work as Mr Choi  Sinhu's replacement.” 
I nodded my head, not fully understanding what he was saying.
 
 
“Wait, wh-what?”