Final

The Hunter's Vampire
Please log in to read the full chapter

She waited until she could hear the soft click of the door closing before she opened her eyes and jumped out of the bed.  This was bad.  Very bad.  Her kind did not belong in the hospital.  
  With her ear pressed up against the door, she could hear the voices of the nurses talking and typing away at their computers.  It was hard to tell how many of them there were.  With all of the different thumps of heartbeats that surrounded her, she could not tell how many came from nurses and which came from patients in the other rooms.  It was too risky to try to escape the conventional way.  Although it would not be hard for her to kill any witness, she knew the place was littered with cameras.  
  She wasn’t afraid of being caught and sent to prison.   No one would be able to catch her.  She wasn’t afraid of being labeled a mass murderer.  She had done much horrific things in her 465 years of being on this planet.  She was afraid of the wrong people learning that vampires did not only exist in books, but in modern society as well.  
  There were only a handful people in the world that knew of their existence.  The people were known as “hunters”.  These people dedicated their lives to hunting down her kind and then killing them.  Hunters saw vampires as malicious scum of the Earth that needed to be killed.  The sad part was they were completely right.  Vampires deserved to be killed, especially her.
  A friend she had made in high school was a hunter.  She was completely oblivious to the fact until one day he came to school reeking of vemon.  Most of the time, people did not become hunters until they were twenty years old.  The poor boy was only seventeen when he had his first try at killing the undead.  Not many people knew how to kill a vampire.  She had a feeling that was why her kind out numbered his kind by ten fold.  She was also confused as to why none  of the vampires he hunted in the past didn’t try to kill him.  Maybe it was the same reason she didn’t kill him when he hunted her.  
  He was so innocent.   It was obvious he had no idea of what he was doing.  She was sure he was forced into the business by the higher ups.  She knew he was assigned to kill her.  They had been playing this game of cat and mouse for a year and a half.  They liked to tease each other.
  She racked her brain for an alternative escape route and mentally gave herself a high five when her eyes landed on the large window.  She peered out at the cars passing  on the street and realized she was on the fourth floor.  For her, the jump would be easy and survivable, but she would run the risk of people seeing her jump.  This was not a good escape either, but it was better than the prior. 
  She froze in her spot when she heard the door to her room open.  
  “You’ve been here for less than five hours and you are already trying to leave?”  She couldn’t help but roll her eyes. She knew that voice possibly better than her own.
  “Oh, give me a break, Baekhyun,” She huffed.  He gave her a smirk and leaned against the door with his arms crossed.  She copied his stance.  “You know damn well I can’t be here any longer than I have to be.”  
  “Why so pissy?” He questioned. He grabbed one of the chairs by her hospital bed and flopped down in it.
  She let out an exasperated laugh.  “I don’t know, maybe it’s because some stupid hunter,” she snatched up the box of tissues sitting on her table and chunked it at Baekhyun, “called an ambulance and got a vampire sent to the emergency room!”
  She noticed his arrogant smirk fade off of his face.  
  “I admit that was not my proudest moment, but what was I supposed to do?  Let my friend who I just witnessed get shot in the chest die?”  
  “I am not your friend,” she stated flatly.
  “You used to be.”  The room went silent.  She could hear the hum of all the heartbeats once again.  His face went blank as he bore his eyes into her.
  “Besides, I can’t die from being shot.”
  “But you were bleeding so much.”  She could tell by his small voice that he was replaying the fresh memory in his mind.
  She lowered her voice.  “That wasn’t blood, I can’t bleed, either.”  He met her eyes in confusion.  She didn’t want to tell him of all of her secrets.  Each one she told him would just make it easier for him to kill her.  “That was vemon.  I just turned it red because of the other witnesses.” She rubbed her face in frustration.  “There is so much you have to learn.”
  “But,” He began, “ you were in so much pain…”
  “It didn’t hurt at all, it was an act.”  She heard a shuffle outside of the door.  “Be cool,” She hissed.
  With two knocks on the door, the young nurse shuffled inside of the room dragging behind her a blood pressure machine.  “Hello, Miss Choi Hanbi. I am Sujin and I will be your nurse for this

Please log in to read the full chapter