Chapter 2

That Should Be Me

Author’s POV

 

As Jihoon got closer to the two people by the tree, he heard familiar voices and giggles. He was getting very anxious and heard some conversation exchange by them.

 

“Cheollie, I love you. You know that right?”

 

“I love you too my precious angel.”

 

“But, what about Jihoon? I already feel bad that we’re doing this behind his back.”

 

Jeonghan seem sad all of a sudden as he let out soft sobs. Seungcheol immediately embraced him in a tight hug.

 

“Angel, don’t cry anymore. It’s my fault that I fell for you. Don’t ever say anything like that again ok? I’m going to break up with him soon and we can date in official,” Seungcheol patted Jeonghan’s head not knowing that his words broke someone else.

 

Hearing all the conversation, tears were running down Jihoon’s face. He can’t believe it. His boyfriend cheated on him. Worse, it was none other than with his “friend.” Jihoon’s heart ached, and not being able to handle seeing the other two together, he quickly ran away to somewhere.

 

His legs took him where he knew he’d be safe. It was to his best friend’s house. After running with tears streaming down his face, he finally arrived in front of Soonyoung’s house. He rang the bell so many times, that he lost count of it. Finally the door opened with Soonyoung looking annoyed.

 

“Who the hell- oh my god Jihoon why are you crying?!” Soonyoung was shocked seeing his best friend crying so hard in front of him.

 

“C-can I c-come in?” Jihoon hiccupped as he said the words. Soonyoung quickly nodded as he led his friend into the house and to the living room. Jihoon quickly sat down on the couch and curled into a ball. Only sobs were heard through out the house.

 

Soonyoung sat down next to Jihoon and pulled the latter closer. Hugging Jihoon tightly he let out some comforting words. It was a while before his bestie had stop crying. Soonyoung let go of his friend and wiped away the tears that had left the latter’s eyes.

 

“Why are you crying?” he asked softly afraid that Jihoon might even break down again. Just with that questions Jihoon started to sob all over again. This was a scene that Soonyoung didn’t get to see everyday. His best friend was always strong. Even when his had his own breakdowns he never cried before.

 

“Jihoon look at me,” Soonyoung placed his hand under Jihoon’s chin and lifted Jihoon’s face, his heart breaking at how broken his best friend looked.

 

“What’s wrong? Did someone hurt you?” Jihoon only nodded at the second question with tears still streaming down. Soonyoung thought about what could have happened? Jihoon was the type of person to never have any close friends. In reality Soonyoung was one of the close people he have in his life other than his family and Seungcheol.

 

Seungcheol…

 

“ that jerk. I’m going to kill him,” Soonyoung muttered under his breath as he got up quickly and was about to walk out the door giving that certain Choi a piece of his mind.

 

“Soonyoung no!” Jihoon exclaimed as he grabbed Soonyoung trying to stop him.

 

“Let me go Jihoon. I don’t know what he did to you but no one makes my best friend cries and go away with it!” Soonyoung tried to shove Jihoon off him, but the latter won’t even budge.

 

“Please, Soonyoung. Don’t,” hearing the other guy begging him, Soonyoung stopped and turned to Jihoon.

 

“Fine, but you have to tell me what happened ok?” Jihoon nodded as he wiped away his tears.

 

After sitting down with Soonyoung, Jihoon finally let out what had caused him to be crying like a baby. During the whole time, Jihoon could see his best friend clenching his fists and his jaws tightened. To calm his friend down, and to assure that his friend won’t suddenly go and kill Seungcheol, Jihoon held Soonyoung’s hand.

 

It was normal skin ship between them. Other than Seungcheol, Soonyoung was the only person he was very close with. Given the fact that Soonyoung had been his very first friend and all that.

 

Listening to Jihoon’s story, it only made Soonyoung madder than ever. How dare of Seungcheol to cheat on someone as precious as Jihoon?

 

When Jihoon was finally done telling Soonyoung what happened, he was crying all over again.

 

“Jihoonie,” Soonyoung pulled the latter into a tight hug again and rubbed his back whispering sweet words. When Jihoon finally calm down again, his eyes were bloodshot red from crying too hard. His nose was running and he just looked so broken Soonyoung even felt like crying himself.

 

“What are you going to do now?” Soonyoung asked Jihoon quietly. His friend didn’t answered. It was quiet for a bit moment.

 

“I think I’m going to break up with him. There’s no point of me being with someone who doesn’t love me. Do you mind if I move in with you Soonyoung? I have nowhere else to go,” Jihoon said as his voice cracked. Soonyoung quickly nodded at the suggestion.

 

He knew how his best friend is. Jihoon will close off anyone when he’s in this “mood” and someone have to care for him because Jihoon will start to skip meals and just do nothing but sleep.

 

“Can I sleep here tonight?” Jihoon asked as he lay down on Soonyoung’s lap as the other started to play with his hair. Jihoon closed his eyes and relaxed despite his mind running in every possible direction.

 

Soonyoung sang out quietly for Jihoon as the latter slowly fall into sleep. Seeing his friend’s pale face, Soonyoung just felt sad for Jihoon. He just didn’t understand why Seungcheol would have cheated on Jihoon. Worse, it was with none other than Jeonghan. Like people say, “Betrayal never comes from your enemies.”

 

***

 

Jihoon woke up seeing nothing but black. He was covered in a blanket and blink a few times to adjust his eyes to the dark. He could make out a few figurines and posters on the wall and realizing that he was in Soonyoung’s room.

 

His mind refreshed the things that happened that afternoon as he felt his heart ached. His first love, first kiss, first boyfriend had cheated on him.

 

Throwing the thoughts away he scrambled out of Soonyoung’s bedroom feeling hungry because he didn’t have lunch either. As he got out, he smells some beautiful aroma and just followed the scent. It led him to the kitchen were his best friend was cooking.

 

“Oh, you’re already awake? Sit down Jihoonie! I made your favorite food,” Soonyoung cheerfully said and headed back into the kitchen. Jihoon sat down smiling at how his best friend was trying to make him feel better. He was really lucky to have someone like Soonyoung for sure.

 

“Here you go!” Soonyoung said as he set down some kimchi-fried rice with an egg. Of course there were some more side dishes. He then sat down with a smile and Jihoon was confused.

 

“Aren’t you going to eat too?” Jihoon asked but Soonyoung shook his head.

 

“I already ate. This is just for you,” Then suddenly a loud growl came out of Soonyoung’s stomach making him blush, as he was embarrassed. Jihoon on the other hand, realized what happened let out a loud giggle.

 

“Fine, I haven’t eaten anything yet because I was going to make sure you eat first. I thought you would be skipping your meals,” Soonyoung explained making Jihoon smile.

 

“Go get your food idiot. I don’t want to eat and let you starve there,” Jihoon chuckled as Soonyoung sprinted into the kitchen getting his food. He came out later with his own plate of kimchi-fried rice.

 

“I’ll eat well!” they both chorus and started to dig into their food.

 

“As expected, Kwon Soonyoung you never fail me with your cooking,” Jihoon gave his friend a thumbs up in which Soonyoung replied with a peace sign.

 

They both turned quiet eating as it was getting kind of late. Within the next ten minutes both of them had finished their meal.

 

“Go rest Jihoon, I’ll wash the plates,” Soonyoung said as he gathered and piled up the plates.

 

“No, I’ll wash them.”

 

“Jihoon, you’re the guest here. I should be the one to wash the plates,” Soonyoung headed back to the kitchen sink where he set the plates down. Jihoon followed him as he huffed in annoyance.

 

“Kwon Soonyoung, I said I’ll wash the plates,” with that an argument started as both of them didn’t want the other to wash the damn plates.

 

“FINE! Let’s just wash it together!” Jihoon screamed. They were both quiet for a moment before bursting out laughing. The short argument ended and the both wash the plates. Well Soonyoung washes them while Jihoon wiped them clean.

 

Afterwards, the two best friends went to the living room and sat down on the couch. Soonyoung opened the TV, as they both got comfortable in their own position. The TV was airing a drama that both of them didn’t know of, still they just watched it.

 

***

 

Jihoon’s POV

 

I woke up and it was already morning. How did I fell asleep last night? I thought I was watching some drama with Soonyoung. I looked around and saw that I was Soonyoung’s room again. He must have carried me after I slept. I got out of the bed and headed out the room.

 

I couldn’t hear Soonyoung in the kitchen. Where is he? I looked around before finding him asleep on the couch with a thin blanket. His face was full of discomfort. His back must be hurting. I walked near him and sat down next to the couch.

 

“Soonyoung-ah, go and sleep on the bed,” I patted his cheeks. I got no answer.

 

“Soonyoung,” I called out again. I heard a groan but he finally got up with his hair all over the place. I chuckled.

 

“Why did you wake me up?” he asked as he let out a loud yawn.

 

“Go sleep on the bed. I need to go somewhere,” I said in a hard tone knowing that I’ll be heading back to the place that I used to call home and break things off with someone. Soonyoung look like he was wide-awake then.

 

“I’ll go with you,” he said, as he was about to stand up when I pulled him down the couch again.

 

“It’s fine Soonyoung. I’ll be back soon. You didn’t forget that I’ll be moving in with you right?” He shook his head no.

 

“Don’t worry. Now I’ll go shower. Do you mind if I use your clothes? I didn’t bring anything extra,” Soonyoung didn’t say anything but he headed to the kitchen probably going to make some breakfast.

 

I sighed and went to shower knowing it was surely going to be a tough morning. I showered quickly and changed into some of Soonyoung’s clothes. Thankfully they weren’t that big on me.

 

I headed to the kitchen seeing Soonyoung with our breakfast already ready. I sat down in front of him and dig into my share of pancakes. After eating quickly, I stood up and put on my shoes.

 

“Jihoon,” I turned around when I heard my name being called out. Soonyoung looked tense.

 

“You know I’ll support you no matter what right?” he asked and I nodded.

 

“I’ll be back soon,” I said as I finally got both my shoes on and headed out the door. With heavy steps, I walked back “home.”

 

Finally I arrived at the front door of the place. I typed in the passcode and entered the place. I looked around; trying to remember all the memories I had here with Seungcheol. Suddenly I heard I the door click and Seungcheol coming out of our room looking sleepy.

 

“Is that you Jihoon? Why did you come back home now?” he asked but there was no words such as “I miss you” or “I was worried about you.” I guess he didn’t really care because I didn’t even have a text message from him.

 

I ignored him as I walked pass him into our room and looked around for my luggage. It was under the bed as I pulled it out and opened it. Opening the closet, I started to take all of my clothes and belongings out and pack them into the luggage.

 

Then I heard the door being open as Seungcheol step into the room. He looked confused as I started to pack everything that I owned.

 

“Jihoon, what are you doing? Are you going somewhere?” I kept on ignoring him as I just pack all my clothes and zipped up the luggage. I walked past him again and headed out to the front door. I wanted to break up with him over text. Then he wouldn’t have to see me crying like .

 

As I headed out I heard footsteps behind me as Seungcheol held my wrist stopping me.

 

“I asked you Jihoon, what are you doing? Why did you pack everything? Are you leaving?” I just gave him a cold gaze.

 

“Let me go,” I said I shook his hand off and walked to the door. I was stop again with Seungcheol blocking my way.

 

“Lee Jihoon, what are you doing?” he said in a low voice. Please, just let me be. I don’t want to be with you any longer.

 

“You know what? I was going to end this quietly but you aren’t allowing me to. Let’s break up Seungcheol,” I said with confidence but my voice faded off at the last few words.

 

I think he heard them though. Seungcheol’s eyes were widened, as he looked surprised and somehow sad?

 

“What do you mean Jihoon? Break up? You’re kidding right? Please tell me you’re joking,” he said in a small voice. That got me mad.

 

“I ing meant what I just said. Choi Seungcheol I’m breaking up with you. Goodbye and please just forget about me. If you want to know the reason just remember it was your fault all along. No one deserves to get cheated on,” was all I said before I left the house for good.

 

I didn’t look back nor did he chase me. I guess this is goodbye for us.