Chapter 8

The Faith of the Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun looked at the sky, the fussy woman was dragging him around blabbering about her garden and her lonely life outside the city. From the garden, he looked up to see Siwon sitting on something. The room was highly decorated as far Kyuhyun could look into the room. His eyes narrowed as he tried to see what the other was doing while he was exposed to this babbling woman. Siwon seemed to talk to someone, he supposed it was his sister because there was a sweet smile on his face. Kyuhyun sighed and looked down at the woman next to him, she was completely oblivious that her words didn’t reach him at all.

 

The house and its garden was relatively in good shape. In his flight to this outskirt, he had seen some sad cots that were crooked and overgrown by plants. Unkempt gardens, rusted metal and filthy bricks weathered by time. From high up in the sky, the river was a sickening green among the dirt ground of grey asphalt and the red roofs.

 

‘’-don’t you think, Kyuhyun?’’ He frowned as he looked to the side, they stood under a big tree that seemed one of the few that weren’t sick and dying. The woman gave a friendly toothy smile.

 

Before they had left Seoul, Siwon had stood before his building, a big suitcase next to him. Kyuhyun had leaned against the wall to wait for the other to check his suitcase and bag one more time. It looked exhausting. The man sighed contempt when he seemed to have everything on his list and then he had turned to Kyuhyun. ‘’We’re going to my aunt, so be nice. I know you are you, but try to be less... emotionless.’’ He had frowned at the request, but Siwon had looked slightly nervous and was fidgeting. If he hadn’t given his best happy smile with a promise, Kyuhyun surely would have leaned against the same wall by now. Siwon was a worrywart sometimes.

 

‘’I’m sorry, I zoned out.’’ A smile formed on his lips as he forced himself to focus on the aunt. Be nice, he reminded himself, she is a great cook, Siwon said. If not, he was sure to scare the living daylights out of Siwon. Maybe he would ditch his shirt again. The last time he had exposed from his flimsy blouse Siwon had fallen into a coughing fit, blooming full red and flustered. He wasn’t sure what the big deal was, Kyuhyun saw plenty of people wearing nothing but pants in the summer. It had been fun enough to see the other choke on his chicken soup after Siwon had the audacity to steal the last piece of beef.

 

‘’Don’t worry dear, I wondered what you thought of the countryside. I know it lost most of its charm but we still is nice and quiet. Away from all those nosy people, don’t you think?’’ What was he supposed to say? Kyuhyun considered his options that wasn’t a complete blatant lie. If it was up to him he would live in the Aeterna forever, the golden dome was probably his favorite place to be. Even if it was usually completely empty. The resonance of Mother, the warmth of the pure energy would make him wonder why anyone would prefer their home above Aeterna If humans only knew what they missed out on.

 

‘’I travel around a lot, but I enjoy some quieter places now and then.’’ He vaguely said but he covered it up with a smile. The woman seemed to be content with his answer, she smiled and nodded and started to talk even more. They continued the tour of her house and land, as if Kyuhyun could get lost in this place. He gazed up at the window, a last glance at Siwon who was still talking to his sister, before he followed the woman back inside.

 

 

Dinner had been amazing. Kyuhyun laid in the grass outside, enjoying the light breeze. An obligatory scarf was wrapped around his neck and a long black cardigan draped around his shoulders. Siwon on his own liked to worry, Siwon and his family was even worse. The scarf was accepted with a scoff and a snort, Kyuhyun really didn’t understand why Siwon bothered to clothe him warm. He wasn’t human, Siwon knew that but he was still stubbornly set on choking him with a scarf. Kyuhyun wondered, if Siwon would get the point through his iron skull if he would lay in the snow fully . When his aunt came hurrying after him with a cardigan, Kyuhyun had wanted to roll his eyes and refuse the offensive piece of fabric. Of course, Siwon had stood right behind the window to stare at him with huge bug eyes telling him to ‘be nice.’ 

 

‘’You ,’’ Kyuhyun complained from his position on the grass.

 

‘’You’re delightful company.’’ Siwon retorted from behind him. Kyuhyun hear a rustling, he had to tilt his head up to see Siwon sitting close behind him. Kyuhyun turned around on his belly so he could judge Siwon with ease. Judging the other had become his favorite past time, Kyuhyun would never admit it, though.

 

‘’Why do you even bother? It’s not like I’m capable of catching pneumonia.’’

 

‘’I like to imagine you can.’’ Kyuhyun snorted and looked at the idiotic worrywart. Siwon should never take a vacation, his doctor side was showing. Siwon took his hand, a weird gesture because they were never really touched each other. Unless when he jumped from a certain height and Siwon had his panic attack. He wasn’t sure why Siwon held himself back, Kyuhyun had seen him interact with his coworkers and patients. With the few friends, Siwon cramped into his schedule. He hugged, threw arms around shoulders, bumped shoulders, Kyuhyun frowned. His inhuman nature was probably unnerving Siwon, despite his denial.

 

‘’How are you always so cold?’’ Siwon asked as two warm hands cupped his own, the heat seeping into his skin but Kyuhyun knew it would never warm up his icy hands. He didn’t dislike it, though.

 

‘’It’s a precaution method,’’ Kyuhyun said. He thought it was quite clear but the heavy frown on Siwon’s face made him sigh. ‘’Like you drink tea from a double layered cup instead of right from the kettle.’’

 

Siwon seemed to consider his words. ‘’So, you will always stay cold?’’ The dark brown eyes grew in unbelievable proportions, Kyuhyun quirked a smile.

 

‘’It’s not that impossible. If I wouldn’t I would burn everything I touched.’’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter