Chapter 2

The Faith of the Stars
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Siwon always thought that chances came in multitude but some seemed more important than others. To take a chance when it was provided, grabbing that shining orb with both hands as you fear it will leave your grasp, he didn’t want to live with the regret of a missed chance. As Kyuhyun turned to face him, he knew this was one of those important chances. His breath hitched as Siwon could only pray that he knew what he was doing. It was not the first time he meddled in the life of others, but he truly believed that kindness would always be the right thing to do. Whatever the circumstances might be.

Kyuhyun tilted his head slightly to the left, seemingly pondering over his request. Even now, Siwon thought the man was too calm, emotionless even, while the city around them seemed to move in a constant. Its lights bright and blinding, cars forever moving and the night people out for fun and games, creating a booming sound that Siwon had learned to ignore. In the midst of that all, Siwon stared at Kyuhyun who seemed to be a rock, standing still without a sign of recognition of what happened around them.

 “I can't decide-” Kyuhyun said, his syllables slow and long like he had to think about every word he just said. “- if this what one might say, a pick-up line, or unexpected kindness.” Siwon felt himself turning hot red under the strong eye contact, Kyuhyun’s eyes crinkled slightly as Siwon stuttered over his own breath.

“No, no I didn't mean, oh god no, of course not. I mean, I don't want to be offensive, I just-” Siwon looked up to the sky and sighed. Once, twice and once more for good luck. “I'm not like that, I just thought you might need a listening ear or something like that.” He muttered the last part, his flustered face burning hot under his skin. It didn't seem to bother Kyuhyun, no, as the man walked without a care back to him.

It was rather odd, how Kyuhyun for the first time looked up and down at him. Almost as if Kyuhyun finally noticed and looked at him, truly noticed his existence, even after those long stares Siwon felt there was less distance between them. Maybe he had done something, right? “It's been awhile since I ate something, I will graciously accept your offer.” Siwon blinked, Kyuhyun stared. A laugh burst out in a friendly sound as Siwon shook his head, the blatant nature of Kyuhyun’s speech was something out of this world.

“Alright then, follow me.”

 

Siwon stared in wonder, sipping his ginger tea for good health as Kyuhyun downed his noodle soup and started on the chicken dumplings the moment he swallowed. Kyuhyun said he hadn't eaten in a long time, but the man didn't look exactly starved with the full cheeks and a healthy skin tone. His eyes didn't fall in his sockets and he couldn't see the muscles clinging to his bones. He was not even that skinny, just lanky. For the stoic odd guy Kyuhyun appeared to be, food lightened him up in a strange way. More human and less with his head in the clouds, or wherever his mindset seemed to be most of the time.

“You must have been really hungry.” Kyuhyun stopped chewing and shrugged.

“There are a few things I appreciate in life, one of them is cooked food.” He put another dumpling in his mouth.

‘’You live around here?’’ Siwon carefully chose his questions. He hadn’t expected an actual conversation, Kyuhyun didn’t look like a social butterfly but maybe the other felt obliged to do something back now that he had paid for the biggest bowl of noodles.

‘’Not necessarily.’’ Siwon raised an eyebrow in question, the apathetic gaze started to become familiar.

 

‘’Then, what you do for do living? I’m a night guard for the time being, but I expect to work full-time in the hospital once I’m done with my voluntary internship.’’ Kyuhyun tapped his chopsticks against his lips.

‘’Amusing. You work with the dying and I work with the dead.’’ Siwon sat up straighter, his drink lowered as he watched how Kyuhyun carelessly played with his chopsticks.

‘’I save lives, I keep them away from death.’’ His voice gained some volume as he spoke, while Kyuhyun wasn’t necessarily wrong, the statement sounded wrong in Siwon’s ears. Kyuhyun snorted, it was the second time he did such a thing besides his staring game.

 

‘’The fact that they have to be saved means that they are dying. As much as they wish to deny it, their body is failing them.’’ The grip around his glass tightened, Siwon forced himself to drink something, to let the warm liquid sooth the brushing annoyance.

‘’People, especially children aren’t supposed to die because of illness or disorders if we have the means to save them.’’ Kyuhyun sat back, leaning in his chair as he put his chopsticks down, something in his face seemed to harden. ‘’Born with a dysfunction means death, it is only humans that seem to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter