Gay-O Daejun

Gay-O Daejun

Bored. He was bored. Very bored.

Maybe he should give Seungri a ring.

Maybe not. He didn’t need to deal with extra whininess.

Maybe he should write another trot song. Even promoting Gwisoon was better than this.

Or maybe not. He’ll just leave the songwriting to the experts.

Maybe he should just call Seungri after all.

He dialed the number and was greeted with Seungri’s solo part in Bang Bang Bang, Narcissism runs in his blood he thought. No one answers the phone.

Maybe he’ll just watch a movie instead.

He googled the top movies of 2016 because he’s no fool, he always does his research. He’s had one too many incidents where he’s fallen asleep halfway in to movies recommended by T.O.P.

He settled on one and clicks play.

2 hours of laughing and crying later he was very satisfied and in love.

***

(SBS Gayo Daejun 2016 Rehearsals )

He walked on stage with the rest of the members and smiled widely at the fans.

From the corner of his eye he spotted a lone figure shuffling towards the exit. His heart skips a beat.

“Seungri oh my gosh Seungri that’s him!” He whispered.

“That’s who?”

“The kid! The one from the movie!”

“Which movie?”

“The one I told you about!”

Seungri turned his head to look for “the kid”.

“No don’t stare at him!” he hissed.

Seungri rolled his eyes and squinted in the direction of the kid. “Ah.” He said knowingly.

Daesung grasped his arm. “Why why?” he asked.

“That’s that Satan kid from EXO.”

“DON’T CALL HIM SATAN LOOK AT HIM HE’S AN ANGEL!”

“Oh honey.” Seungri shook his head sympathetically.

“So he’s from EXO?”

“Yup.”

“How do I talk to him?”

“Why the you gotta ask me bro. I ain’t the y man of Japan.” Seungri huffed.

“Geez I can’t believe you’re still hurt that they like me better than you.”

“Yeah well at least I got into the Top 100 Most Handsome Kpop Idols list.”

Daesung gawked at him. “RUDE!”

Seungri snickered.

“Oh come one dude just tell me how to talk to him!

 

***

Daesung was never one to listen to Seungri’s advice but he figured it won’t hurt this one time. He loathes admitting it but Seungri has genius tendencies occasionally. He hid behind the pillar and bid his time. If the plan fails Seungri can kiss his spot on the 100 Most Handsome Faces of Kpop goodbye once Daesung was done with him.

He heard footsteps coming towards his direction and stiffened instinctively. He took a deep breath to calm himself and patted his hair. Perfect. He slid out from behind pillar and nonchalantly sauntered towards the approaching kid with his hands in his pockets.

“Oh! Daesung Sunbae-nim! Hello!”

He was greeted with a 90 degree bow that would have put a protractor to shame. His well rehearsed pick up line (courtesy of Seungri) died in his mouth. “Ah yes hello. EXO. Right.”

The kid gave him a polite nod and made as if to walk away.

“WAIT!” He squawked and turned as red as GD’s hair in embarrassment. Daesung wished his hair was still long enough to cover his flaming cheeks.

The kid gave him a look. “Can I help you?”

“Ah yes um do um you um knowwherethebathroomis?”

“I’m sorry?”

“Do you know where the bathroom is?” He managed to say.

“Uh yeah it’s down the hall to your right.” The kid said with a smile.

Daesung felt his heart melt into a puddle of marshmallows. “Oh I see. Thank you um-“

“Do Kyungsoo.”

“Kyungsoo.” He sighed dreamily. "Kyung. Soo."

Kyungsoo gave him a look of concern. “Sunbae-nim? Are you okay?”

“What? Yes. Just fine Kyungsoo.” He giggled. “Kyungsoo.”

“Are you sure you’re okay? You look a little flushed.” Kyungsoo’s eyebrows were furrowed in concern as he peered closely at Daesung’s face.

Daesung gulped and took a timid step back. Too close too close. Retreat! Retreat!

“Nope. Just fine just fine. Thank you …Kyungsoo.” He muttered and scurried off in the direction of the bathroom.

Kyungsoo looked on with eyebrows raised as Daesung almost tripped over a stray peaceminusone hat which he picked up stealthily tucks it his pocket.

“Oh dear. Must be tough times for him.” Kyungsoo muttered shaking his head.

Daesung skillfully avoided running into Kyungsoo for most of the show. He saw him sitting with the rest of EXO and his heart thumps every time Kyungsoo smiled at something someone said. He growled under his breath as he spotted Kyungsoo patting that tall bushy haired kid on the arm. His nails dug into Seungri’s thigh when he saw Kyungsoo grinning at that human broomstick.

Seungri let out a yelp. “Hyung. Get your damn nails out of my damn skin dammit!”

Daesung showed no reaction to having heard him and continued glaring. Seungri followed his gaze and smirked deviously when he saw what his hyung was staring at. “Man you’re so in to that Satan kid.”

“I TOLD YOU NOT TO CALL HIM SATAN!”

Youngbae who was seated on Seungri’s other side heared him and peered over his shoulder. “Which Satan kid?” he asked, curiosity lacing his voice.

Seungri nodded in EXO’s direction. “That bug eyed kid with the ugly hair and the poker face.”

“Dude!” Youngbae leaned over and gave Daesung a judging glance. “Really? Out of all 12-“

“11.”

“- 11 of them?”

“I heard it was 10 now though?”

“Wasn’t it 9?”

Daesung looked at them both angrily. “Could please take your conversation elsewhere? You are disturbing my star gazing.”

Youngbae sighed and raised his hands in mock surrender. “Okay but seriously dude? That Satan kid?”

“He’s not a Satan kid okay!” Daesung pouted. “He’s really nice and he told me where the bathroom is.”

Seungri let out an offended gasp. “Oh. My. Gosh. You asked him where the bathroom was?! He probably thinks you have diarrhea now idiot! Nice going! Why didn’t you tell him what I told you to tell him? That was tried and tested with a 95% success rate and the only reason that other 5% didn’t work was because Jiyong hyung was there. You complete idiot!”

Daesung felt his lower lip quiver. “I was nervous okay!”

Seungri sat up straight in his seat and leaned in closer. “Personally I think-“ “

Oh out Seungri! Switch seats.” Youngbae stepped over and plopped down between them. He put a comforting arm around Daesung. “Tell hyung what happened, Daesungie.”

Daesung sniffled. “Well I watched this movie and….”

Seungri gaped at them. “Why do they always leave me out of things?!”

 

***

Seungri being the ever supporting dongsaeng he is, had decided that their current seats weren’t good enough to watch his beloved TOP hyung performing. It was of utmost importance to him that the cameras and the fancams capture his “supportive maknae” side. Daesung unfortunately was an unwilling participant in Seungri’s hunt for the perfect seats. Daesung could almost swear that Seungri was getting revenge on him for some petty thing or another because he decided to go and land his in the seats right behind EXO. He tried not to let his nervousness show as he trailed after Seungri.

Kyungsoo spotted Daesung walking behind him and stood up. He had been quite concerned about his behavior earlier because quite honestly that was one of the most awkward encounters of his life and Kyungsoo being a very awkward person has had one too many awkward encounters. He made his way to where Daesung and Seungri were standing.

“Daesung Sunbae-nim!”

Daesung whirled around in surprise. ‘Oh oh oh oh . Say something .’

“Ah Kyungsoo!” He grinned as widely as he could manage.

Kyungsoo smiled at him and bowed politely at Seungri who was trying not to burst out laughing.

Kyungsoo extended a hand out to Daesung who shook it gleefully. ‘Conceal don’t feel. Don’t let your inner fangirl show.’ He chanted in his head.

“Are you feeling alright now Sunbae-nim? You looked quite unwell earlier. ”

“What? Oh yes yes. All good. Peachy.” Daesung laughed uncomfortably and gave him two thumbs up. “Just peachy.”

“Oh good. I guess you found the bathroom then.”

“Ahahaha yes bathroom. Yup found it.”

“Okay great. See you around then Sunbae-nim.” Kyungsoo bowed and made his way down again.

“Hyung.” Daesung called after him weakly. “Call me hyung.”

 

***

Daesung had spent the latter half of the show trying not to moan in despair while Seungri tried to contain his laughter. He stood by the bar at the after party, nursing his glass of champagne.

Seungri sidled up to him and leaned in close to whisper in his ear, “Bathroom boy at your 3 o’clock. Go get him”, and sidled away as smoothly as he came.

Daesung downed his glass of liquid courage and maneuvered his way through the sea of drunken SBS staff members to get to where Kyungsoo was standing by the entrance with that Korean excuse for Legolas.

“Hey Kyungsoo!”

“Daesung Sunbae-nim!” Kyungsoo bowed politely.

The Korean Legolas also bowed and gave him a very excited grin that showed more teeth than Daesung needed to see.

“Nice to meet you Daesung Sunbae-nim! I’m Chanyeol.”

“Hm yes Chanyeol whatever.” He brushed him off with a wave of his hand. “So Kyungsoo, I watched your movies!”

“Oh really? Thank you Sunbae-nim.”

“I watched them all too!” Chanyeol piped up.

“No you didn’t Chanyeol shut up.” Kyungsoo said, whacking Chanyeol playfully on the arm.

Daesung felt triumphant. He just one upped Legolas. “Call me hyung Kyungsoo.” Daesung said, his confidence levels rising by the minute.

“Oh okay Daesung hyung.”

Daesung practically purred like a well fed cat. “So Kyungsoo you seeing anyone these days?”

“Um well actually-"

“How about you let Daesungie hyung buy you a drink hm?”

“Uh actually hyung I-"

“Kyungsoo is dating me though.”

Daesung’s heart dropped to his stomach. He stared at Chanyeol in shock. “You and Kyungsoo what?!”

“We’re dating.” Chanyeol enunciated slowly, linking an arm with Kyungsoo. “Have been for years now. Even Seungri hyung knows.”

Daesung felt all the blood drain from his face. He turned around and slowly walked towards Seungri who was slapping the table and laughing so hard he had tears streaming down his face. A face that was never ever going to be on the 100 Most Handsome Faces of Kpop list ever again.

“SEUNGRI YOU MOTHERING SON OF A !”

***