Chapter I

Listen to you

 

 

“Bit party tonight!” Mark said, “Happy New Year everyone!!”

 

The guys sited on the couch in front of the TV only looked at him strangely. Something’s up.

 

“What are you talking about?” Taeyong asked.

 

“Big party?” Mark said again, “let’s make a party tonight”

 

“You know we can’t do that” Taeyong repeated, “our landlord will kill us”

 

“I already talk to him”

 

“No, you didn’t” 

 

“Well, no, I didn’t” Mark sited on the table in front of them. “But he went to Busan with his family, what can he do from there?”

 

“How do you know he left?”

 

Mark made a paused, “I didn’t spy him”

 

They all giggle at him. This kid is unbelievable.

 

“Oh, come on!” He stood up. “Are we going to be all gloomy tonight?” He said, “Don’t you remember? This year is our last year as college students, we need to started big time”

 

“I don’t think we should do it, man” Jaehyun said, before standing up.

 

Mark followed him with his eyes until he disappeared on the kitchen “Ah, stop being so worry about anything. Half of our neighbors left the building, the other half will be celebrating” He makes a pause and went on, “if we can’t spend time with our family, may as well spend time together, having fun”

 

“We can have fun only us five” Yuta added pointing at the console.

 

“No, we can’t!” Mark stated, “we need friends, drinks, snacks, it would be awesome, I swear”

 

Silence.

 

“My family is Canada” Mark started to say, “Taeyong? Your family left to… where was it?”

 

“Jeju…”

 

“Jeju! And you couldn’t go because you were busy” Mark pointed at Jaehyun, “Yours Jae, went to America, Yuta’s are in Japan, Sicheng’s at China… Taeil! Well… that did went with his family… but we can do such a big party despite that”

 

“Ok” Jaehyun started, “If we do it, how the hell will we find all the things in a Saturday afternoon in December 31?”

 

“I already did all that” Mark made gun signs with his fingers. “I bought everything a week ago” He ran towards his room.

 

“So, you would have done it anyway” Sicheng said, crossing his arms on his chest.

 

“Duh” Mark said, after coming back, “The only thing that stopped me was Landlord and he isn’t around so yay!”

 

“You’re so sneaky” Taeyong mumble.

 

“So, what about if we separate into groups, Tae and I will go to bring the things from the store, Sicheng and Yuta will call the guests…” He handed a piece of paper to the guys.

 

“Oh, we can call Taeil to come after 12”

 

“No!” Mark yelled. “He abandoned us! He doesn’t deserve us!”

 

“Oh man, grow up” Jaehyun said, getting closer to the guys and giving a slightly punch on Yuta’s shoulder. “Call him”

 

Yuta nodded in a sign of approval.

 

“Jae, do your kitchen magic” He clapped his hands. “This is going to be so sweet!!”

 

Mark was surely happy. Can you see?

 

“This is… this is a damn guests list?” Yuta screamed after checking the paper. “You have been planning this since when?”

 

“Christmas” He said, lifting both shoulders as he stormed out. “Stop complaining and make calls!!” he screamed from the door.

 

Mark went out of the apartment first and Taeyong didn’t even stood up yet. He looked at the guys and went to the door so he could put his sneakers on.

 

“Jae, you created a monster” Yuta turned around to face him.

 

“Yeah” Jae said, “Sorry about that.”

 

Indeed, Mark had everything prepare. The only thing left was just pick the drinks and snacks he send to make a day ago. He also bought balloons and decorations, even new clothes. Taeyong only drive him around, he didn’t say anything, not even if he wanted to but Mark repeated and assured him that this was going to be just a little and decent party. But… looks like is not a decent party at all.

 

“Are those fireworks?” He asked.

 

“Yeah” Mark smiled.

 

When they arrived home, Jaehyun had already prepared some homemade snacks. Yuta was still on the phone and Sicheng was checking the track list. Looks like they were all cooperating with this end year’s party. Taeyong placed all the things they went to pick on a large table that Yuta placed in the living room with the snacks Jaehyun made earlier, than he placed the new snacks. Before going to get a shower, Mark prepared a punch, only Jaehyun knows a bit of this, the others were seriously intrigue by it.

 

They all went to shower and to get ready for the big night. At the beginning they were a little negative about it but the guys took the chances to have fun a little. Family for friends, is not the same but is not bad either. And at the end of the day, they will spend time with their families soon after this… so why being all sad about it? Let’s have fun.

 

Of course, they wear the most handsome and stylish clothes they found.

 

This looks like a good idea from the actual perspective.

 

“Ah, I’m so excited for this” Mark said, getting himself a drink. “Did you guys taste it already?”

 

“I’m scare… I saw you putting so much alcohol on it” Sicheng said checking the punch from a few steps away.

 

“Jae, taste it” Mark handed a glass to Jaehyun who poured some on his glass. He took it. Made a face. “Ah…It’s good”

 

“Your face didn’t said so”

 

“Ah, Taeyong, just taste it” He said pouring a little on a glass and handed to Taeyong.

 

He drinks it. Made a face. “Ah, so bitter!” He made a pause “But it’s good”

 

“But you say it was bitter!” Yuta said, punching his shoulder.

 

“That’s how it supposed to taste” Jaehyun defended.

 

“Taste it!” Mark yelled.

 

The guys tasted the punch and they totally hated it, but it fade away with time. Punch after punch and guest after guest the party was starting to be wild. It wasn’t a decent and little party at all. Yuta and Sicheng did their jobs right. They call all the people on the list that Mark gave to them and all the people actually went. They also called Taeil but he said he travelled to Jeju so he couldn’t go. Jaehyun snacks and the new snacks were the stars of the party; no one really knows this kid cooks so well.

 

And in a low profile, he also was the star of the party himself; the girls couldn’t take their eyes or their hands from him; this handsome young man was so well dressed and smelled so good plus talking so well… dream guy.

 

But the night passed, including the New Year time when everyone hugged, laughed and the fireworks exploded. The drinks went from their glass to their heads. The music and the party were even wilder as the night went on.

 

It was crazy.

 

“Dude” Sicheng said, grabbing Yuta’s shoulders. “I’m so tired and I feel so dizzy”

 

Yuta was just leaning at the wall, equally tired of dancing. “Me too, too much punch” He said but started to walk suddenly.

 

“Where you going?” Sicheng asked.

 

“To get another glass”

 

The other guys were bad as well. Mark made out with two girls and he was uncontrollably drunk and he kept pouring more and more punch on his glass, even dry drinks.

 

While Taeyong and Jaehyun were helping each other to walk.

 

“Dude, dude, stop, stop” Jaehyun said, “I- I can’t keep walking I’m to wasted”

 

Taeyong laughed out loud. “Come on… we- we- we were going to get more drinks, stand up!”

 

“I’ll wait for you here, just leave”

 

“No man, I will never let you helpless”

 

“Holy , dude, you are so awesome. Hug me”

 

They hugged and talk for a few minutes on the couch. They were taking drinks from people when they were distracted, taking their foods and snacks. They were out of control.

 

“Ah, I want more alcohol”

 

“Ah!” Taeyong yelled, “That’s what we were going to get… I didn’t remember that” and they both laughed again.

 

But if they were bad, they went worse.

 

“He can’t stand up, what the do I do?” Sicheng asked, he can’t stay on his feet either.

 

Jaehyun couldn’t even stand up from the couch. He was so drunk that he didn’t recognized himself… maybe a little. He wanted the guys to leave him there but they kept repeating he should go to his bedroom. But how drunk guys can take another drunk guy when they all are so drunk to the point that if they bring him up, they all fall? Don’t know; these guys have the moral the size of a bee.

 

“Oh! I have an idea” Taeyong said and went running to the kitchen and brought a girl with him.

 

“What can she do?” Yuta asked between hiccups.

 

“Hello, my name is Mark, how are you?” Mark let go Jaehyun to shake hands with the girl. Drunk and shameless, nice.

 

“Mark, is me, Chae” She said, waving her hand.

 

“You look blurry Chae” Mark said, narrowing his eyes. “But good to know you still pretty even if I’m drunk”

 

Taeyong raised his voice a little. “Guys, she’s Chaeyoung, she takes guitar classes with me and Mark. She’s good; we’re not, only there to get girls. She is a part-time nurse, she can help us”

 

“You think a nurse will bring him back to life?” Sicheng asked, punching Jae softly on his cheeks. He looks like he’s passed out.

 

“I can bring him back to life” The girl said. “But let’s get him to his room first”

 

“Ah, Chae, I might be drunk but I think that’s a bit unfair for you” Mark said.

 

“We need to bring Jae back man; he might have an ethyl coma or something”

 

“He doesn’t have an ethyl coma Tae, don’t overreact. He’s just passed out”

 

“Ok, at three we lift him up…”

 

“Oh no…”

 

“One…”

 

“You guys are going to fall”

 

“Two”

 

“Please let me try something”

 

“Three”

 

And all the guys who tried to lift Jae up went to the floor with him.

 

 

Jae saw himself so suddenly in his bedroom, the escenarios changed so quickly he didn't notice. He fell to the floor as he entered the bathroom and saw the WC. He didn’t notice what person brought him here but thankfully this person brought him, otherwise he would have made a disaster outside. Well… he will regret it in any point because he will be so embarrassed in the future. Or… right now.

 

“I can’t throw up, is so disgusting” He said.

 

“You need to do it” She assured him. “Or the migraine will be horrible later”

 

He got so scared at the voice… Oh my God, he thought one of the guys were responsible for this. But the one who could stand him up and bring him here was a girl… and he can’t see clearly but this girl is gorgeous… here it comes.

 

The embarrassment made him vomit.

 

“Oh please, tell me you’re not pretty”

 

She laughed. “I can’t answer that”

 

“Usually girls who say that are pretty… this is so embarrassing”

 

“It’s ok… I’ve been there”

 

He took a deep breathe. “I can’t do it anymore, seriously is so disgusting”

 

“Can I try something?”

 

“What?”

 

“I’ll put my finger inside your mouth”

 

He giggled a bit. “Without even a first date?”

 

“I’m just trying to help you” She giggled too.

 

He thought for some minutes until he nodded at her. He can do it himself but he just doesn’t want to. It is disgusting. Besides, she was there to help right? And he needs help with this.

 

He could do it… very slow and taking his time, but he did it well.

 

“You didn’t eat?”

 

“No I didn’t”

 

“I guess that’s what made you fell quickly” She said, before standing up. “Stay here ok?”

 

She went out of the room and stayed outside for some minutes and he was starting to feel a bit better. He still dizzy but he can at least stand up and now, with the power of reasoning, he thought on how this girl actually brought him here? She looks so tiny and thin and he is heavy as , she had to have strength to pull him in like this, which makes him wonder, how he looks? He saw his clothes… well at least he didn’t puke in his clothes, looked his eyes as he stood up before the mirror… looks soulless but it was because of pure alcohol.

 

He heard the door and looked outside and Chaeyoung was entering with a plate full of sandwiches and water bottles.

 

“Oh, you stood up!” She said; a smile formed on her face. Oh , she is pretty… no wait… she’s gorgeous… now he IS embarrassed for sure.  “Here, take this” He took it. “Eat it all, ok? It will help you to minimize the alcohol on your stomach. I’m not saying all of it. But it will” She winked. “Ah and water… drink this too”

 

He was in shock. “Oh, wow, thanks”

 

“No problem”

 

She was about to get out of the room when he stopped her. “Can you… stay? I don’t like to eat alone”

 

She smiled at him and shrugged. “Ok, I will” and sited beside him on the bed.

 

 

At the first bite he felt his world touched the ground. The dizziness still there, not doubt about that but he feels way better then hours ago. He could say he didn’t knew who he was before this food arrived… or her help… I think he needs to accept her help save him. He was a bit more compose and easy. Thanks to her, he didn’t wake up in the morning full of makeup.

 

“Ah, this is so good” He said, after he introduced on his mouth the last piece of bread. “Can you make more?”

 

She nodded at him. “Maybe I can”

 

”Are you chef or something?”

 

“No, I’m a part-time nurse”

 

“Oh, now I get it” He said, drinking from the bottle. “You are amazing, thanks”

 

“You’re welcome. Can you walk? Walk with me to the kitchen”

 

They both got out from the room and all they could see was a disaster. A tremendous disaster. A disaster that only Mark will clean. Cans of beers everywhere, glasses scattered around, bottle of water half used, food on the floor, food on the walls…oh . They headed to the kitchen, Chaeyoung entering first and leaving Jaehyun watching with horror in his eyes how this apartment ended up. Mark is the balcony with a girl, Taeyong is with other, Sicheng is on the ground probably passed out and Yuta is dancing with a girl romantic songs. This is a funny disaster to be honest. The rest of the guests left the party before 7:45 am. They were too drunk to continue.

 

When Jae entered the kitchen, Chae was already preparing a bunch of sandwiches. He took one and leaned in the edge of the counter.

 

“You can eat how much you want but let some for the rest of the guys” She said, saving some on the microwave.

 

“I will try” He answered her. He thought about it since she left the room the first time. But in any moment of the night he has to say it. He needs to know. He took a deep breathe one more time, “I will make the most embarrassing question of my life… but… do I know you?”

 

She laughed. “Yeah, Taeyong introduces us when I arrived with my friends. I guess you don’t remember”

 

“Oh my god…Of course! Chaeyoung! The girl from their guitar class! Why am I so stupid? Please don’t be mad. I swear the alcohol change me and makes pretty stupid things on me”

 

“It’s ok. I’m not mad at all”

 

“Yeah, maybe you say so but I would definitely feel a bit offended if I was introduce to someone and that someone doesn’t remember me”

 

She smiled at him. “Ok, maybe I am little offended. But it’s fine”

 

“This is horrible Chaeyoung… I really sorry”

 

“Hey, stop it ok?” She caressed his shoulders. “It’s fine”

 

They made silence for a moment only the slow music on the background was sounding. She poured herself a glass of water and handed one bottle to Jaehyun which he took and drank. He was following her orders to keep his body hydrous.

 

Suddenly Taeyong arrived at the kitchen and hugged him.

 

“I love you man” He said, “You are one of the most amazing things that ever happened to me. Did I ever told you that?”

 

Jaehyun was drunk again from Tae’s horrible breathe. “No…” He said.

 

“And Chae… Chae, you are amazing. You’ll be an amazing doctor soon, you know?”

 

“Thanks” She answered with a smile on her face.

 

“Jae, you are the best thing that ever happened to me, did I told you that?”

 

“Yes, Tae, you did, can you go to bed?”

 

He shook all his body. “I have a girl… what do you think I should do?”

 

“Get a shower and sleep” He answered.

 

“Ah, no, no, how can I sleep with this beauty beside me?”

 

“You will not take her to your room”

 

“Ah, Jaehyunnie don’t be so jealous, you are the best thing that ever happened to me, did I told you that?”

 

“Enough!! Let’s go to bed”

 

“Are you going to sleep with me? That’s friendship!!!”

 

Jae took Taeyong to his room and left him there, promising him he will come back soon, which he didn’t right away. He called a taxi and walked the girl to the exit of the building so she could go. When he went back to check on Taeyong he was already sleep, so he decide to come back with Chaeyoung to the kitchen, of course after checking if Tae was not death.

 

“I think I have to leave” He heard her say.

 

“Already?”

 

“Yes” She said, “My friend is in Mark’s bedroom doing the business, I supposed”

 

He saw her walking out the kitchen but suddenly notice the place crystal clean… this girl was amazing. He is afraid she might be angry… she came to enjoy a New Year party and all she got was taking care of a drunken guy and a friend who let her alone to have , he must do something to pay her back all the good things she just did for him.

 

“OK, I won’t let you go” He said and she turned around. “I at least have to drive you home”

 

“Oh, please no. I’ll take a taxi downstairs. You need to rest”

 

“No way in hell” He said, reaching the keys of their car. “After all you did for me; I will not let you go in a taxi”

 

She smiled at him and he smiled back.

 

He took his coat and started to walk outside. She thought about it for a few moments, he really needs to rest but how can she say no? Probably is for the best, she is tired, a bit drunk and the only thing she wants to do is go to her place and sleep for a bit… Jae giving her a ride, is not a bad idea.