i'm not blaming you; just don't blame me too

i'm good, i'm good, i'm great
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jieqiong doesn't enjoy going to the club.

And neither does the birthday girl, but Yebin had eagerly volunteered to plan Nayoung's birthday party for her and the older woman hadn't cared enough to refuse. (Jieqiong thinks Nayoung was too weak to turn down that deadly combination of hopeful eyes and pouting lips.) According to Yebin, their group's self-proclaimed 'partay' animal, there is no better place to celebrate one's life than at some sleazy downtown club where everything at the bar is overpriced - including the alcohol that Jieqiong can't stand - and everyone seems to get a little too close for her comfort. 

Speaking of alcohol, while half of her friends have drunk enough vodka and tequila to guarantee their misery the morning after, Jieqiong herself hasn't had anything to drink yet. In fact, she hasn't ingested alcohol at all since the last time she went to drink with Minkyung, which was months ago. She doesn't intend to drink tonight either. Perhaps never again, if she could avoid it. She already loathed the taste of alcohol to begin with, but her time with Minkyung taught Jieqiong that it would probably be best for her to dissociate herself from alcohol altogether, especially since it led to undesirable outcomes. For example, a vicious cycle of confession and indulgence that only ended in tears.

So Jieqiong makes the conscious decision of staying away from the bar and dedicating her time to the dancefloor, where most of her friends are anyway. At least she actually enjoys dancing and fooling around with the people she loves. She can still have fun. She mouths the lyrics of the upbeat song along with Sungyeon and Yewon. She grins as Siyeon and Eunwoo playfully bump their hips against her. She laughs at Yebin and Kyungwon's attempts to coax an embarrassed Nayoung into doing a rather silly-looking dance with them. However, as much as she tries to distract herself, Jieqiong can't help but allow her eyes to repeatedly stray to a lone figure sitting at the bar. Despite their friends' efforts, Minkyung still refused to dance with them and insisted on hanging out at the bar by herself.

Jieqiong heard from Yebin that she and Minkyung used to go clubbing together often, but the latter had stopped since she decided that she preferred hanging out with her friends instead - specifically, going out to drink with a particular friend named Jieqiong. She knows about Minkyung's old habits; Minkyung told Jieqiong about them herself. Sometimes, Minkyung would return to these old habits for comfort, until Jieqiong confronted her about it and offered to be someone she could confide in. After that, Minkyung got better at keeping her vices a secret. Jieqiong doesn't think the older girl would revert to her old habits just because the two of them have stopped drinking together, but she's been informed by a few concerned friends about Minkyung's behavior as of late. She doesn't understand why they'd tell her, of all people. Minkyung is a grown woman capable of making her own decisions, whether Jieqiong loves her or not. Or the other way around.

When Jieqiong's gaze once again makes its way toward that lone figure sitting at the bar, it's no longer alone. Now there is another woman seated on the bar stool beside Minkyung, a woman that Jieqiong cannot identify from the view of her backside alone. Her heart gives in to a painful pulse as the unknown woman leans closer to Minkyung, presumably whispering something in her ear. Though there is no way for her to know, Jieqiong has an idea of what she's telling Minkyung just from the way their bodies are practically pressed against each other, among other indications she would've preferred not to see. To Jieqiong's surprise, Minkyung suddenly stands up and the other woman mimics her action. The woman holds onto Minkyung's arm and Minkyung lets her as they begin walking towards the direction of the exit.

It's not her business anymore - it never was - but Jieqiong still finds herself pushing past the bodies around her to follow them.

She's only a few feet away from the two of them when someone seizes her wrist and stops her from going any further. Jieqiong glances over her shoulder to see Nayoung staring down at her, her dark eyes and tightened jaw reflecting a quiet but unsteady fury. Jieqiong knows it isn't directed towards her, but she feels her own frustration threatening to surface at the sight. She's grateful that her friends care, she really is, but she's also tired of their endless, unwarranted pity.

"Jieqiong, don't."

Nayoung in particular has always care

Please log in to read the full chapter