Chapter 3

Rainy Days and Mondays

Chapter 3:

 

 

 

It's been exactly a month since his father announced his final decision without even consulting him. The coldness he's feeling ever since that day doubled as the cold weather in Seoul will finally reach it's peak according to the daily weather update, and the rain that'll occur sooner or later will turn into snow. It will rain - or snow - and Baekhyun hates it. The dampness of his clothes and of the ground will make him freeze some more, surely it will make him sick with a cold.

On the side note, Baekhyun will still look forward for this day because it's a Monday - a new beginning and a new week for him to get busy - to get rid off of unnecessary thoughts running in his mind right now. Albeit the uneasy feeling he's got since he stepped out of their humble mansion, the petite man still kept his composure and cheered himself up.

When Baekhyun got inside the Faculty Room, he noticed a memo on his cubicle saying all the students in his classes today are required to attend a symposium concerning the Labor Market of the country. Having no class to teach for the day, he slumped on his chair and rest his head on the table. Noticing the brown haired petit man, a colleague approached him quietly asking for a favor because of an emergency. Since Baekhyun doesn't want to slack the whole day, he gladly agreed to the favor, earning a big hug and huge thank you from his colleague.
 

 

 

 

 

 

It's a Monday and Chanyeol hates it. For a student, Monday is the day everyone dreads the most. Monday means the start of a weekday, the start of another piles of homeworks and readings and such. For a Monday, the only thing that makes this day good for the giant is the fact that it'll rain. It was said on the news that the cold weather reached its peak, a possible first snow could happen sooner or later. That fact alone cheered him up. With a smile on his face, he sped through the concrete jungle of Seoul to head to the university.

He parked his car on the farthest side of the university, having no choice because the parking near their building is already full. Looking at the skies and seeing how gloomy it looks, Park Chanyeol smiled a little. Yes, first snow will happen soon! He started walking to head to their building, accidentally bumping to some students who are in a hurry. It was when he was near the building Jongin talked about last month when he noticed a familiar petite man, walking gracefully as he entered the building. Dumbfounded and shocked, Chanyeol remained stoned. If not for the ring of his phone, Chanyeol wouldn't have snapped out of it.

He took his phone and looked at the caller ID before answering, "Hello?"

"Hyung! Where are you?" Jongin said on the other line, "You have 5minutes to get here before our professor arrives! Hurry!"

A smile formed on Chanyeol's lips, touched by how his friends are always concerned about his whereabouts, "Don't worry, Jongin. I'm almost there. Bye."

"Alright, hyung. Take care. Bye," Jongin hung up and Chanyeol looked at where the petite man entered one last time before he ran to their building.
 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun dismissed the class he substituted teaching right after the bell rang, smiling at the students and wishing them good luck for the upcoming exams. The first class wasn't hard to teach, Baekhyun could only hope for the next one to be like it. He took his phone from his pocket, calling his cousin to invite him for lunch since the both of them have the same break time every Mondays.

"Jongdae!" Baekhyun yelled over the phone, giggling when his cousin let out an irritated groan, "Let's have lunch?"

"I can't, Baek," Jongdae sighed, feeling guilty, and whined to explain why, "I need to finish my term paper which is due after lunch. I'm sorry."

Baekhyun chuckled, although sad because he'll be eating alone, but he finds Jongdae's whine cute. He feels bad because it's finals week, yet his cousin still has to pass some requirements, "Alright, dae. I'll bring you food later."

"I'm really sorry, Baek."

"Tch. It's fine. I'm a grown up. I can eat without company," Baekhyun replied, "Just finish your term paper. Okay? Call me if you need help."

"I will. Eat well," Jongdae answered, hanging up the call. Baekhyun chuckled as his stomach growled, he really needs to feed the monsters in there.

The walk to the food park is undeniably slow if you'll ask Baekhyun. It took him 5 minutes to get there just because the food park is far from their building. Baekhyun got tired of the foods in their building's cafeteria that's why he chose to buy and eat his food in the food park. Walking through the food park, he noticed how there were additional food stalls, but he chose to walk to the last one and one of the oldest food stalls.

Byun Baekhyun found himself smiling as the old lady greeted her, motioning for him to take a seat on one of the vacant chairs, "It's been a long time."

"I know, Mrs. Do," Baekhyun replied, still smiling, "I missed your foods that's why I'm here."

"This kid did not even miss the ahjumma that's waiting for him everyday to eat here," the lady pretended to be hurt, "Same order?"

"Yes, please."

"Alright. I'll be right back," the lady then left for the kitchen, leaving Baekhyun to wander his eyes inside this restaurant. He noticed the photos and notes pasted by the students on the walls, putting dedications and such. He did not fail to notice particular photos, and he did not chose to shrug it off. It's really been a long time since I've been here. Was it 3 or 4 years?  He drummed his fingers on the table as he waited patiently for his food when he heard an awfully familiar voice. Clutching the pendant of his necklace upon instinct, Baekhyun decided to look. It couldn't be him, right?

"Ahjumma~!" The man sing songed, as he approached the counter, "Mrs. Do~"

Mrs. Do stepped out of the kitchen when one of her staff called her. Seeing Chanyeol, the lady broke into a grin, "What brings you here Chanyeol?"

"Well, Jongin's with your son, again. Sehun went out of the university to eat together with his precious Luhan. They don't want to eat with me," Chanyeol answered, "I figured I'll eat here instead."

The lady chuckled, patting Chanyeol's shoulder, "Very well, then. Take a seat. I'll bring you your usual order."

Baekhyun bowed his head, gulping nervously as he saw Chanyeol look around to find a vacant seat. Unfortunately for Baekhyun, the only vacant seat available is the one in front of him. Chanyeol went to it, and sat, failing to notice the petite male who's looking at him. Baekhyun took out his phone, typing a quick "HELP! AT MRS. DO'S. NOW. PLEASE." to his cousin. Just when he was about to hit send, his phone decided to betray him. He never felt this way before, he was ready for this day to come - or so he thought.

 

Please, don't look at this direction.

 

Please, don't look.

 

Please.

 

Baekhyun's request wasn't granted when Chanyeol looked up to see who's staring at him. Both their eyes widened as realization dawned in. Chanyeol stared at him, convincing his self that Baekhyun is really there. Just when Baekhyun was about to leave, a tray of foods were placed on his table, "Eat now, Baekhyun. I'm sure you missed this."

Baekhyun looked at Mrs. Do, giving the lady a smile, "Thank you, Mrs. Do."

Not long after, a tray of foods were also placed on Chanyeol's table. Still staring at Baekhyun, he muttered a simple thanks to whoever was the one who placed the foods.

Awkward. That's the best word to describe their situation right now. Mrs. Do did not allow them to leave without eating, they had no choice but to follow her orders. After eating, Mrs. Do approached them to decline their payment, "It's on the house. It's rare to see you these days. I missed seeing you together."

Baekhyun gave his thanks instead and bowed before leaving. He half ran, half walked through the food park, hoping to leave this place before Chanyeol could manage to catch him if he ever plans to. He was forced to stop when he heard squeals from the students, following where they're looking at, he also looked up. Droplets of what's supposed to be the rain turned to ice. It's snowing. Memories kept flashing back in his mind and he found himself tearing up. It's the first snow, and Baekhyun hates it. He harshly wiped the tears away and ran through the crowd.
 

 

 

 

 

 

"The professor's not around," one of Chanyeol's blockmates announced, which earned a lot of cheerful noise from the class. A day without the terror Literature professor will give them the sanity they need to survive for the rest of the week, and he might add that this is their last class for the day, meaning they could all go home early, "Sadly, there's a substitute  to take his place for the meantime."

The whole class groaned, including Chanyeol. Still waiting for the substitute professor, Jongin approached Chanyeol who's now back to staring mindlessly at the ring on his finger - not failing to notice that scar on his hand. He sat on Chanyeol's stable which shocked the latter. Chanyeol looked at him like some kicked puppy, eyes continuously blinking as if asking Jongin what his problem is through eye contact, "Chill, hyung."

"Chanyeol, why are you so quiet ever since after lunchtime?" Sehun asked without sparing a glance from his phone. Finally looking up from his phone and to his seatmate, Sehun added, "Are you sick?"

Chanyeol just shook his head, lying his head to rest on Jongin's lap, "Hyung, seriously? What's wrong?"

"You've been spacing out and staring at that ring a lot," Jongin added, carefully running his fingers through his hyung's hair. It's rare to find Chanyeol like this if you'll ask Jongin and Sehun. Chanyeol usually yells at them when they're treating him like this, like someone younger, because according to Chanyeol for fcks sake I'm the oldest one here. Jongin and Sehun looked at each other, questioning each other even though neither of them probably know what's going on. This couldn't be because of the upcoming engagement, Chanyeol's been focusing a lot on their upcoming final exams which really doesn't give him enough time to think that the engagement will be right after the day that this semester's over. Nope, definitely not it, Sehun concluded.

Both Jongin and Sehun sighed heavily before giving up on thinking what might have caused Chanyeol to act strange today. Just then, a knock alerted the whole room and a man, noticeably has the same age as them, went to the front. Sehun and Jongin looked at each other before looking at Chanyeol.

"Before we start, please go back to your proper seats," the man said with authority. Everyone scrambled as they went back to their seats, everyone except Jongin because Chanyeol held his hands tight like asking for support.

"Hyung, I need to go back," Jongin murmured as he saw the substitute professor looking at him, then to Chanyeol. Chanyeol reluctantly let go of Jongin's hand, finally looking at  ---

"I'm Byun Baekhyun and I'll be the substitute professor for today," Baekhyun said to the class, still looking at Chanyeol. Chanyeol did not fail to notice how puffy Baekhyun's eyes looked, "Any questions before we start?"

Chanyeol's classmate who's seated in front of him stood up, "Sir, I'm Taemin. Are you in a relationship?"

Baekhyun chuckled, "That's none of your business, Taemin-ssi."

The whole class protested.

"Fine, I'll answer," Baekhyun chuckled nervously and looked at Chanyeol, "Yes."

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I know. It's lame. Kill me. T______T But hooray because this is my longest update yet. hahahhh t_____t