Chapter 1

Rainy Days and Mondays
 
 
 

Chapter 1:

 

 

Surprisingly, Baekhyun is having an easy day teaching his class. After graduating from the university two years ahead from his supposed to be batchmates, he decided to work immediately and landed a job in one of the well-known university in Seoul. Being an heir, he knew this job will not be permanent and his father will surely demand his help in running their business sooner or later.

It was one of those days where things are going according to Baekhyun, and it bugs the hell out of him. He never had a day where he can enjoy what he's doing, it's either he makes a mistake, or someone else does and it affects him directly.

"Remember, the higher the demand, the higher the price," his class nodded as some of them took down notes, while some started taking pictures of his writings on the board. Baekhyun continued teaching until the bell rang, signaling that the class is finally over, "Alright. See you all next week, and prepare for the graded recitation. Class dismissed."

"Goodbye, Mr. Baek," his class said in chorus as they leave the room.

Baekhyun heaved out a deep sigh, exhaustion finally crawling in as he realized it was his last class for today. He patted himself on his shoulder, murmuring a "job well done for today, byun baek."

He went to the faculty, smiling and greeting his co-professors that just got back from their respective classes, and bidding farewell after he gathered his stuff.

Baekhyun smiled to himself as he left the premises of the university. He can finally have a good night's sleep tonight, and the next two nights. It is when the heavens rambled when Baekhyun noticed that it's going to rain. Great. Just when I was about to go home.

He kept on walking to the nearest bus stop when rain started to pour. Luck decided to abandon him completely when the rain got stronger, and when the bus that arrived is already full. Could this day get any worse?  Baekhyun, a strong believer of miracle even though he's starting to doubt his luck, started to pray to the heavens for someone to save him from the rain. I just want to get home and sleep. Is that too much to ask?

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Baekhyun, you're ---"

"Wet. I know. You don't need to state the obvious, Jongdae," Baekhyun cut him off and headed inside their house.

"What happened?" Jongdae asked as he trailed behind Baekhyun.

"It rained. I don't have my umbrella," Baekhyun answered.

"But why didn't you call me instead? I could have picked you up, or we could have got home from the university together," Baekhyun stopped in his tracks after realising what his dear cousin just told him. He mentally slapped himself for not thinking about texting or calling anyone. Am I this tired to even forget that I have a phone? "You forgot that you have a phone, didn't you?"

Jongdae patted his cousin's shoulder, who's now looking down due to embarrassment, "It's okay, Baekhyun. You're really forgetful. Just don't forget that you're father will be having dinner with us tonight."

Baekhyun nodded, heading to his room. He went inside his bathroom, and slumped in the tub. A few minutes later, he went out and changed to his pyjamas before heading to the dining room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was almost the usual dinner that he's always having, except this time his father's with them. The atmosphere is thick. Both Baekhyun and Jongdae know that this dinner is not just about being able to eat and bond with them. Over the course, Mr. Byun casually asked them how their day went, and they asked the same. It was when dessert was served when Mr. Byun finally dropped the topic, the thing that kept Baekhyun and Jongdae anxious throughout the meal.

"So, Baekhyun," Mr. Byun directed his gaze at Baekhyun, Jongdae looking at his dear cousin worriedly, "Do you still remember the talk we've made when you graduated?"

"Yes, father," Baekhyun gulped nervously, silently praying for Jongdae to save him. But Baekhyun knows better, no one can stop his father once he starts talking.

"Have you decided? It's been months."

Baekhyun put down his utensils, glancing at Jongdae then looked back at his father before saying what's in his mind, "Father, why?"

"What do you mean, why?"

"Do I really have to marry him?"

"But he's still a student."

"But you're still the same age as him, and please Baekhyun, this is your grandfather's dying wish."

"But father, I don't even love him!"

"You're going to marry him, and that's final!" Mr. Byun abruptly stood up, throwing the table napkin on the table before leaving. When the man was out of sight, Jongdae stood up and went to his cousin, hugging him as the latter broke down.

"Doesn't he know that marriage is sacred?" Baekhyun asked, trying to conceal his sobs, "Why is it so easy for him to let me marry someone I don't love?"

"I don't know, Baekhyun. I don't know," Jongdae answered, offering him a glass of water, "Stop crying or else I'll send the video of you dancing to Tell Me Your Wish to your students."

"Yah~! Can't you see I'm being emotional right now?" Baekhyun slapped his arm, drinking the water that was given to him, "And I already told you to delete that video! I was drunk that time!"

"I need something to blackmail you with," Jongdae smiled, mentally patting himself for making his cousin smile again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

There's a frantic knock on his door, a loud 'Baekhyun! Open the door!' calling for him. He made a mental note to kill Jongdae for ruining his mood to sleep early, because knowing his cousin, he would keep him awake the whole night just to chat about things or make him watch those morbid movies like Saw and Paranormal Activity, "Baekhyun!"

He flew the door open, annoyance etched in his face, but Jongdae didn't mind as he let himself in the room, "This better be good, Jongdae. Whatever you have in mind better be good to stop me from killing you."

"Easy. Just sit down, and look at what I've found!" Jongdae took a sit on Baekhyun's bed, opening the scrapbook he's been holding the whole time. Baekhyun followed after closing the door, "This is the scrapbook we made before when we were around 8."

"So?"

"Look who's with us in these photos, and look at what's written on some of the pages," Jongdae beamed, offering it to Baekhyun for him to look at. Baekhyun grabbed it, flipping through the pages and smiling as he started to reminisce the moments. 

It was when he reached a certain page when his mouth dropped open. On it was a photo of a chubby young man holding a ferret while chasing him. The page also has a small letter written beside the photo. He couldn't remember him being with them, or maybe he does, but he chose to forget it. When did we start drifting apart?

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: I'm really sorry for the delay. Happy new year everyone! :) I would love to know your comments and suggestions. (Sorry if my writing is still lame. I promise to grow this 2017.)