final

Falling For You

 

 

In the midst of gentle snowfall is when love hits Yifan in the eye.

 

Actually, it was a snowball that had hit him. But when you’re in love, it’s basically the same thing, right?

 

 

 

Blankets of snow reflect the soft glow of the streetlamps, creating a warm glimmer around the bustling streets. Lampposts are adorned with the traditional holiday wreathes and ribbons that manage to make anyone who spots them immerse further into the holiday spirit.

 

Christmas has always been one of those things Yifan has always adored, even as a child. The prospect of receiving presents and gifts aside, Yifan loved it purely for the feelings it gave him. The small things like the aroma of hot chocolate and peppermint, or the telltale chill of the air that signaled the oncoming of fresh snow were just a few things that added to the delightful atmosphere. Just the thought of surrounding an elaborately decorated tree as a means to spend time with family was always a fond memory Yifan carried with the popular holiday, which only deepened his love for the winter festivity.

 

Albeit, Christmas over in Seoul was much different than it was in Canada and China, but even with the large mile gap and culture shock, it wasn’t hard to get excited over the familiar (and somewhat overrated) Christmas songs that played in the markets or in the streets as Yifan made his weekly trip for groceries and coffee.

 

If Yifan had to connect it with something, his deep love for the holiday had probably stemmed from his childhood, highlighted by the tradition of waking up at the crack of dawn -his parents included (Mom! Dad! Get up, we gotta open presents!)- and instantly beaming once he came down to a tree surrounded by brightly wrapped boxes and bags.

 

Overall, it’s a time of year that Yifan’s always looked forward too since then, even if he’s outgrown the grandiose requests for toys upon toys, and even if his presents are more on the practical side.

 

Yifan is pretty content with how his holidays usually go.

 

But even with the joy warm evenings bundled in blankets and watching holiday movies bring him, there is one thing that Yifan is tempted to wish for, for Christmas. 

 

Amongst his friends, who are all in relationships respectively, Yifan is the only one going without a significant other again this year. Chilly morning strolls through the park and Christmas shopping are fun already, but he feel as if it would just be that much more enjoyable with someone by his side, to nag at him playfully as they bake festive sweets or laugh wholeheartedly at their ugly matching sweaters.

 

On multiple occasions, Yifan’s close friend Yixing, has very gently prodded Yifan on his relationship status, asking carefully if Yifan ever feels lonely spending the remainder of December by himself, to which Yifan would simply shake his head with a smile. Of course, there’s those rare moments when Yifan finds himself longing to have another body to snuggle up to while he watches the same Christmas movies late into the chilly night, but he settles with what he has, which is a large blanket, and a cup of hot chocolate to tide him off for the night.

 

It’s painfully obvious amongst his friend group that he delights in the thought of being able to bring a lover with him to their weekly hangouts; even enough to the extent to go through the long introductions and the small talk every new budding couple goes through. But Yifan insists that he’s alright, and even if he doesn’t have a significant other to shove cake in his face or kiss under the mistletoe, that his goofy friends can make up for that in their holiday spirit as they celebrate their annual Christmas party.

 

Junmyeon had introduced the idea a few years back with Yixing, and since then, it’s been something their large group has participated in every year. But even coming alone has it’s cons when Junmyeon realizes he’s fresh out of eggnog, and with a sympathetic smile and twenty dollars in hand, sends Yifan into the cold to buy more.

 

It’s not something he particularly minds, since a room with ten others can become a bit suffocating, and as embarrassing as it is, Yifan isn’t blind to the sympathetic stares he gets when his gaggle of friends think he isn’t looking. Some fresh air is what he needs to push out the reminder that he’s the last of his friends that is still painfully single.

 

Junmyeon and Yixing’s shared apartment isn’t far from town, and even with a little less than a mile that Yifan treks, he can sense the familiar bubble of nostalgia and fervor once he spots a few children running through the glistening white grounds of a nearby park.

 

In a moment of clarity, he stops to watch the snow fall in gentle droves, the landscape looking like something straight out of a Lifetime holiday movie, and Kris can’t help but fall victim to it’s charm.  The chime of bells in the background only send him into a welcomed trance as he takes in his surroundings, hyperaware of the crisp air and beautiful scene he has managed to walk into.

 

A snowball flying right into his face is what brings Yifan out of his trance, landing right over his eye and effectively sends him stumbling a few steps back from the impact. Before he can finish wiping off whatever snow is left on his face, a figure approaches him, apologizing profusely in a voice Kris can only describe as the embodiment of spun sugar and honey.

 

As he clears off the last of the snow from his face, he feels a sudden rush of warmth run through him, starting in his face. The man before him looks no older than Yifan himself, and is possibly younger. Black hair spiked up and combed out of his face peeks out from underneath a large beanie and if Yifan weren’t preoccupied staring, he’d immediately cry because wow this guy is really cute and he swears that in that moment he’s convinced he’s fallen in love at first sight.

 

Worry is etched in the stranger’s face; plush lips pursed in worry as he spews heavily accented apologies. After getting over the initial shock, Yifan smiles at the other to soothe his worrying. Visibly relieved, the stranger releases a breath and finally smiles.

 

Taking another look at this stranger, he realizes that the landscape isn’t the only thing he’s falling for.

 

Yifan is aware that he is corny. He’s corny for believing in love at first sight, but he’ll be damned for denying it because he swears that with the way he’s falling for a stranger he just met in a snowy setting, he’s just as clichéd as those holiday movies he cries over year after year.

 

Whether it’s the smile, that soft voice, or even the fact that someone his age is decked out in all the cheesy holiday paraphernalia that he most certainly approves of (he notes the navy scarf littered with snowflakes and reindeer), he doesn’t rebut the blush evident on his pale cheeks as him and the stranger stand in the middle of the falling snow, looking at each other with equally soft gazes.

 

“Hi…I’m Yifan,” spills from his mouth before he can think, his smile quivering from nerves and maybe because he’s trying not to grin like an idiot. The beanie guy introduces himself as Zitao, and giggles as Yifan repeats it, this time not fighting the grin that plasters on his features.

 

Yifan extends his hand to Zitao, who takes it gratefully as they walk the expanse of the park, conversation easy and effortless between them as they very animatedly express their love of Christmas.

 

It warms Yifan’s heart seeing just how excited Zitao gets, listing his favorite movies, drinks, and even festive recipes that he admits to trying, and sometimes failing at. In return, Yifan reveals his own routine for the holidays, which include getting emotional over all the heartwarming films and commercials the season has to offer. In that moment, Yifan compares Tao’s giggles to the light tinkling of the bells he hears on sleighs with a fond smile.

 

They get so easily immersed in their conversation, they’re unaware they’ve made a few rounds throughout the park, and Yifan only realizes how long they’ve been talking once the streetlights and lamps flicker on, their yellow light creating a warm image against the darkening sky.

 

“Would you...perhaps, like to accompany me to a Christmas party?”

 

Yifan bites his lip gently, hoping to every being that maybe he won’t have to come back to the party alone once again.

 

Zitao’s eyes glimmer in interest, and a bit too eagerly, he agrees. After the time spent talking to Yifan, he feels like he can trust Yifan. After all, if a man is willing to admit that he’s cried watching The Polar Express, how bad can he be?

 

“Of course. After all, how can I refuse to someone so cute?”

 

Yifan reddens at that, and silently offers his arm, not trusting his voice for their walk back to Junmyeon’s apartment.

 

Their arrival isn’t suddenly noticed, as everyone is in the kitchen and very immersed in some large cake Yixing had just placed on the table, but refuses to allow anyone to eat until their dinner is finished. As sweet as he can be, no one dares disobey Yixing’s instruction unless they’re craving an earful from him.

 

Chanyeol is the first to notice Yifan’s arrival, letting out an ecstatic cry with the possibility of more eggnog, but freezes once he notices the body beside him. The sudden attention from everyone collecting turning flusters Yifan, but Zitao seems to go unfazed as he waves towards the lot, introducing himself and thanking them for allowing him to come.

 

They quickly crowd around Yifan and his companion, eyes lit with curiosity, and Yifan can feel his heart swell as Zitao happily allows him to introduce him again, comfortably slotted at the elder’s side as they chat idly with the rest of people in the room.

 

Junmyeon almost has the mind to complain at the lack of eggnog Yifan has brought with him, but can’t find it in himself to do so, as he decides to leave it with a smile once he sees the fond look on Yifan’s face as he stares adoringly at Zitao.

 

Even later that night, as him and Zitao cuddle against each other on Junmyeon’s couch watching White Christmas, Yifan swears that the hot chocolate in his mug tastes a little bit sweeter, and that his Christmas just got that much better.

 


 

honestly i'm a hoe for christmas and i'm a hoe for christmas aus 

Thank you guys so much for reading. I hope ya'll had a wonderful holidays and I hope you guys have a happy new year!!