Part 1: A change in routine

Medicine and ink

 

“Kyungsoo, have fun in school!” his mom yelled from the living room. Kyungsoo walked out of the door “Yeah mom. Bye!” he smiled before shutting the door. The smile disappeared.

 

Fun. Yeah med school is totally fun. Totally. Med school is never fun and Kyungsoo has photographic memory, so it’s actually really boring for him. He didn’t have to work that much to get straight A’s and the fact that his family owned a hospital would mean he didn’t have to worry about looking for a job placement.

 

He was groomed to be a doctor as a child and to uphold the family name. It was easy because he always did well in school and he got into one of the top medical universities with first class honours. He never had any problems in school and never had a criminal record of any sort. The perfect son.

 

But as we know, perfection doesn’t exist. There’s always a flaw in everything that makes it unique. In Kyungsoo’s case, he’s apathetic. Sure, he can fake some emotion when the situation calls for it but really that’s about it.  He couldn’t care less about things because it was relatively easy. The only thing he couldn’t do excellently arts.

 

He can remember every single intricate and detailed patterns and designs of an art piece but when he drew it on a piece of paper, it looked nothing like the original. Now, he could have easily accepted and moved on with life but the pride took over. He got angry and started redoing the same piece over and over again until he made the perfect copy.

 

Art was a challenge  that he enjoyed very much. However, his family were highly against it. When they saw his art paper, they tore it up in front of him and gave him an entire lecture on how it wasn’t a respectable profession and that he would ruin the family image. He obeyed them for about a week because he got bored. He bought a scrapbook and has been secretly drawing ever since.

 

The way to his medical school was a lovely walk. There were trees that bloomed cherry blossoms and regular trees for shade. Wherever the sun was, it never scorched the pathway leaving people shaded. It was blissful and never got anyone in a bad mood (unless you're one of those s).

 

Kyungsoo loves to walk here. It gives him new ideas to draw and it relieves some stress. This is his usual route for his routine. Use this route, go to school, listen to Sehun’s obsession with a guy from nursing, whom Kyungsoo believes his name is Luhan, do work,go back home, have dinner and contemplate life. The next day would come and the whole cycle repeats.

 

Nothing new happens in this routine, not even in school. Heck if someone was sleeping with a professor that's not even new. Kyungsoo figured working in a hospital would be much more interesting than attending school. He's been to the hospital a couple of times and found things were always different every hour. But right now, he's bored.

 

As mentioned, the routine has begun and right on time, Sehun walks into class. Kyungsoo actually never figured out why Sehun always hung around him. It’s not like Kyungsoo ever talked to him. Sure, they were in the same group a few times but that was it. Kyungsoo refused to give him any signs of friendship but Sehun still acts like they’re best buds. Kyungsoo sometimes wonders if the boy has any friends at all.

 

The day goes by and Kyungsoo is at home. His family isn't home( probably at the hospital) and he ends his day the same as before.

 

The next day, well, it was the same as yesterday with the exception of a white cat that he never saw before. It was a change and he went to pet it. The cat purred under his touch and Kyungsoo realised how he had never really tried drawing cats. It was strange really but that didn’t affect him that much. He took out his phone to take a picture of the cat but said cat took his phone in his mouth and ran off across the road.

 

“Hey! Give that back!” Kyungsoo yelled. The cat stopped and stared at him as if it wanted him to follow. “What a jackass” he thought. He can’t walk away from this. His parents were very strict and would give him an earful about not answering and losing his phone.

 

Kyungsoo made sure to watch the traffic before crossing. When he made it the other side, the cat walked off to another street. Kyungsoo let out a sound of frustration before following the cat. When the feline finally stopped, Kyungsoo took his phone back and realised he was in an unfamiliar part of town. It took him a few more seconds to realise he was at the part of town where some shady stuff goes on.

 

“Oh no” his parents are gonna kill him. They forbade him from entering this part of town. If they ever heard about this, no food and so much study.  Oh, such torture. He had to go back, like now. He took his phone to open his GPS. Oh , he’s pretty far from school. Kyungsoo started running until he hit something.

 

The hit sent Kyungsoo on his and his things everywhere. Kyungsoo didn’t bother looking up as he started to gather his things.

 

“Dude! Hey! I’m sorry I hit you!” a male voice said. Without even looking up, Kyungsoo replied. “It’s fine”

 

“Here, let me help” the voice said, as he bent down and took Kyungsoo’s sketchbook. Kyungsoo, always hiding the fact that he draws, immediately reached out for  the sketchbook but the male wouldn’t let go of the book.

 

Kyungsoo finally saw the male and he was hot. The male was looking at Kyungsoo’s drawing with such intent. “Did you draw this?” he asked, turning to look at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo swore his heartbeat got faster. “Y- Yeah” why was he stuttering? The male smiled. “It’s beautiful” “Huh?” Why was he feeling like this?

 

“With your permission, can I put this on my body?” the male asked. Kyungsoo was baffled. “What?”. The male stood up “Could you follow me, please? I really want a trace of this.” he said. Kyungsoo was late but this guy got him speechless. He can’t even brain what the guy is even saying so he just agreed and followed the guy. “Oh, my name is Jongin, by the way” he said.

 

“Uh, I’m Kyungsoo” Jongin smiled. “ Nice to meet you Kyungsoo. Sorry about bumping into you. I wasn’t really looking”

 

They walked into a closed tattoo parlour and Kyungsoo realised Jongin didn’t flip the open sign. “Hey” Jongin looked up and followed Kyungsoo’s eyes. “Oh! I’m closed today. I’m doing inventory. I got some new stuff that arrived this morning.” Jongin explained. Jongin walked towards the back of the shop where a desk was covered with pencils and papers. “Sorry if it’s a bit messy. I was meant to clear it.”Jongin took off his jacket and Kyungsoo looked somewhere else. “Do you want anything to drink?” Jongin asked. Kyungsoo shook his head.  “Okay, but don’t hesitate to ask anything” He took out the sketchbook and began tracing the design.

 

That was when Kyungsoo finally got a better look at him. Jongin had white hair tucked underneath a beanie and he was lean and tall. He wore a black wifebeater (that’s a horrible name for a tank top I reckon) and it showcased his tattoos.

 

Kyungsoo didn’t know how long he was staring at Jongin until the tattooed male called out for him. “Huh?” Kyungsoo responded. Jongin smiled at him “You’re adorable. Anyway, I’m finished.” he said. He took the sketchbook and handed it back “Thank you”.

 

“Um, hey, could you like not tell anyone about this?” Kyungsoo asked. Jongin raised a brow at him. “I’m not exactly allowed to draw or even be here” Jongin nodded in understanding and smiled. “Don’t worry, if anyone asks I’ll just say a cutie drew it.” Believe it or not, Kyungsoo blushed and then got a bit curious “Where are you going to put it?”

 

Jongin lifted his shirt, he has abs, and pointed to his left . “Right here, next to the heart” “Why?” he inquired. “Flowers bloom and what better place to put your drawing than right here?”

 

Kyungsoo didn’t say anything. He was too flustered to look up. Jongin noticed this and he laughed. “ God, you're cute” Wow, okay Kyungsoo is really embarrassed someone put a medal on Jongin. “So, uh” Jongin started “I must have taken a lot of your time. Can I make it up to you by taking you to lunch?”

 

Kyungsoo looked up and saw Jongin rubbing the back of his neck with hopeful eyes. “Yeah lunch would be nice. Wait..lunch” Kyungsoo thought “What time is it now?”he asked. Jongin looked at his watch “It's about… half past 12. Why? Oh, you had to be somewhere” Jongin said dejectedly.

 

Kyungsoo had missed an entire lecture. Not like he needed to go for it, half the class doesn't even pay attention anyway.

 

“No, I don't have to be anywhere.” Kyungsoo lied. He's not going to drop this opportunity to skip class especially with this guy. “Where do you have in mind?”


Jongin smiled