Tough Times

First Try At Idol & Me (Unfinished Story) ***Read Foreword**

“Jiwon, I swear if you don’t get out of bed this second, you’ll be swimming in your sheets,” Bobby stirred under his covers as he attempted to shield his eyes from the morning light coming through the cracks in the shades of his window.

“What time is it?” He groaned.

“It’s time for your to be out of bed and ready to go to the dojo,” Jiun said as he kicked his brother’s bed one more time.  “If you’re not ready to leave in half an hour, you’ll be stuck with mom and you know she isn’t going to leave you alone.”  Bobby huffed at those words and threw the covers off of him to flash his brother an annoyed smile.

“I’ll be down,” he said.  Jiun just rolled his eyes and left the room to finish getting ready himself.  Bobby yawned before swinging his body over to force himself out of bed.  When he looked at his phone, his mouth dropped as he read 6am.  “It’s way too early.”  He brought his phone to the bathroom and started playing music whilst getting ready to take a shower.  After he finished, the song changed in the middle of the chorus.  When he checked, he realized that it was his phone ringing and answered it to see Hanbin on the screen.

“Hey, I wasn’t sure you would pick up since it was so early.”

“Yeah, my brother is making work today, so up and early is how my summer will begin.”  Hanbin just nodded as Bobby continued to get ready.

“What about you guys,” Bobby said, “how was today’s practice?”

“It was alright.  We got a lot done since you-” Hanbin cut himself off after he realized what he was saying and looked at Bobby wide eyed.  Bobby just smirked.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“Nah, it’s fine.  I get it.  Well, I better get going before my brother comes back.”

“Ok,” Hanbin said sadly, “I’ll tell the guys you said hi.”  Bobby just nodded his head before hanging up the call.

It’s only been a little more than 24 hours and they’re all already doing better without me, he thought.  He huffed before grabbing his sweater as he closed the door to his room to meet his brother.  Bobby stopped in the kitchen and saw nothing there for him to eat and only saw his brother putting something in his mouth before it disappeared.

“Whoa, what about me?”

“What about you?” Jiun said with an eyebrow raised as he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.  “Who said I had to make you breakfast?”  Jiun grabbed his keys on the counter and walked past Bobby.

“Be outside in 5 minutes,” he yelled before walking out the door.  Bobby stood in the kitchen dumbfounded at the event and mumbled angrily as he tried to find something to eat in the fridge.  When he opened it, he scanned to find nothing except a box with a note on it.  He picked it up and read it.

Hey, honey.  I had a feeling your brother wouldn’t go easy on you this morning so eat some of this.  Love, Umma.

Bobby put the note on the counter and opened the box to find hard boiled eggs.  He sighed as he took the box and popped one in his mouth before grabbing something to drink and leaving the house.  Jiun was waiting in his car and sighed as he saw Bobby sluggishly walking with the box in his hand.

“Hurry up, I’m already late.”  Bobby looked at Jiun in confusion as he checked the time.

“It’s only 6:30,” he said as he got in the car.

“Yeah, I guess you forgot how far things are in here,” Jiun said as he drove off, “I’m guessing you also forgot how things are done here too.”


“A mop?” Bobby said as he looked at the took disgustingly.  “I thought I was helping you with the dojo.”  Jiun just rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, you’re helping me keep it clean.  What’s hard to understand?”

“So why did I have to change into a uniform if I’m not fighting anyone?”

“First of all, I don’t teach kids how to fight.  I teach defense and skill.  I wanted to be a ninja when I was a kid and I’m living my dream.”  Bobby just put his hands up in defense as he started putting the uniform on.  “Second, you don’t know anything and cleaning is the best thing you can do for me since this place is a mess.”  Bobby just pouted as he put his stuff away in Jiun’s office.

“Fine.  I’ll be your janitor.”

“Good, you can start by mopping and cleaning the bathroom.”  Bobby turned as pale as a ghost at the order.  He gulped as he took his mop and pail, praying it wasn’t a pigsty.  Luckily for him, it was an average amount of bathroom filth, so he continued on.  The sound of the door opening was heard behind him as he was mopping, making his stop.

“It’s so early for lessons,” he said as he read the time as 7:00.

“Hey Jiun,” Nari said.

“Hey Nari.”

“There weren’t any glazed donuts this morning so I just got you vanilla frosted ones.”

“Awesome, that’s fine,” the sound of chairs moving filled the background as Bobby continued his duties.  “Come on, let’s eat.”  Bobby stopped what he was doing and turned around to look at the door where Jiun was outside a few meters away.  Nari looked over in his direction and the two of them made eye contact.  She gave him a smile and a wave while he gave her a head nod before she turned away to continue talking to Jiwon.  

“He didn’t eat breakfast and he was being an earlier?” He just rolled his eyes and mopped the floor harder.

“Did your brother eat?” Nari asked as they ate.

“Yeah, my mom made him some boiled eggs,” he chuckled.  “If my brother is given sugar this early in the morning, then he’ll be super annoying.”  Nari just smiled as the two of them continued to eat.  Bobby mopped angrily as he continued to mutter to himself.

“I could be dancing with one of the best companies in the business and yet I’m here, mopping my stupid brother’s bathroom,” Bobby grumbled, “what the hell is this punishment?”  He continued on while kids started arriving for their lessons and didn’t come out until the bathroom was spotless.  He didn’t want to see his brother until he was sure that he wouldn’t use some crude language in front of the children.

After a few hours, Bobby finished cleaning the bathrooms and the halls in that area.  Jiun and Nari were able to see him from where they were teaching and just watched impressed.  They didn’t expect him to comply so easily.  Bobby just did his work with his earphones in and blocked everyone out.

“He complains a lot, but he gets his stuff done,” Jiun said after their first classes finished.  He handed her a towel and a water bottle to which she accepted.

“Thanks, he seems like a hard worker,” she said.

“Oh definitely,” Jiun said as he sat down on a mat.  “My brother didn’t get to where he is now by bullting his way.  He’s hard headed.  When he wants something, he will work so hard.”

“I guess that college in Korea is really something,” Nari said in awe.

“Definitely.  You guys are kind of the same,” Jiun said, “just in different areas.  I guess that's why Jeeyoung is so for you guys becoming friends.”  Bobby came out of the hallway with a mop in his hands and earbuds still inside.  He just raises his eyes to give them a sign of acknowledgement as he passed by them.

“I don’t see why not,” Nari said as she watched Bobby walk into the locker rooms.

Bobby put the mop away in the closet and stretched to relax the muscles he had been using to get all the grime away.  He started massaging his shoulder as he walked to the mirror to see what tired mess was before him.  The light shined on Bobby’s reflection, highlighting all the stress lines on his face and the beads of sweat falling down his face.  He rolled his uniform up his arm and saw a few bruises forming.  The earbuds in his ear were still playing and it was the same song he and the rest of the team danced to for the first episode of their survival show.

Bobby looked around the dark room to make sure he was alone and focused for the key point in the song.  Once he heard Drake’s voice begin, the energy within him burst and he recreates each movement from that day.  As he danced, the rope holding the torso portion of his uniform got loose.  Bobby watched himself in the mirror as he hit every move sharply, sweat building up on the initial amount he had.

As he looked at his reflection, Bobby forgot how tired he was feeling and how much his muscles were aching.  The only thing he could feel was the music flowing through his body like electricity.  Everything was so fluid and felt perfect.

Bobby’s moment of serenity was disturbed when the lights of the room suddenly and he turned around quickly to see a shocked Nari staring at him with wide eyes.  He breathed heavily as Nari attempted to speak.

“Um, uh, sorry,” she stuttered.  Her attention from his eyes started going lower and she gulped as she quickly looked back up at Bobby who has his eye brow raised.

He looks a lot better than Jiun, she thought.

“Your brother is looking for you,” she said as Bobby just smirked.

“Thanks,” he said, “did you like what you saw?”  The nervousness Nari felt went away at the cocky tone in Bobby’s voice.  He just smiled as he picked up a towel near him and walked toward her.  He slowly started tying the rope again to close the shirt and looked at Nari.

“I don’t blame you for being in shock,” he said.  “It happens a lot.”  He winked and left Nari alone in the room.  When he let the door close behind him, he just chuckled.

That was interesting, he thought, not as innocent as I thought.

“What’s up?” He said as he walked up to Jiun.

“Well you seem to have had enough cleaning for today, so I’ll let you help me out with some demonstrations for the next class,” Jiun said as he fixed the mats.  “Do you want to eat something before the kids start coming in?”

“No, it’s fine,” Bobby said.  “Why am I helping if I don’t know anything though?”

“Well, you’re not doing anything.  You’ll just be my attack dummy if you will,” Jiun said.  At that moment, Nari walked in the room with a ponytail tightened on her head.  Bobby just smiled at her while she just ignored her.

“Nari was supposed to do it, but she told me she didn’t want to hurt you since she didn’t know you,” before Jiun could continue, Nari stopped him.

“Actually I think I know him enough,” she said, “I’ll do it.”  Jiun just looked at her confused and shrugged his shoulders.

“Ok, I guess,” he said, “so then you just stand on the mat while she does whatever I instruct.  Ok?”  Bobby just nodded before Jiun went away to his office.

“Why the sudden change?” Bobby said cheekily.

What a difference from last night, She thought as she shook her head.

“It doesn’t matter.  So just follow what you’re told,” she huffed before going to warm up.

Different from the girls in Korea who would throw themselves at me,  he thought, the perks of her not knowing who I am I’m assuming.

After a couple of minutes, kids started walking into the dojo.  They were older kids who had some more strength in their bodies.  Jiun came out of his office and greeted every kid that saw him.

“Jiwon,” he called out.  “Organize their things in the corner and make sure the mats are all in place.”  Bobby nodded as he jogged to his place.

“Ok, guys, for a few weeks, we’ll be joined by my younger brother.  His name is Jiwon if you didn’t already hear me say it.  Some days he’ll be cleaning and other days, like today, he’ll be helping with demonstrations.  So, don’t be afraid to say hey or anything.”  The kids all looked over at Bobby who gave them a little wave from his corner.

“So today, we’ll be doing some offensive tactics,” the sound of Jiun’s voice faded as Bobby stood in the corner.  From the corner of his eye, he could see Nari getting ready, putting more power in each punch.  A little side of him was getting scared.

There’s no way she can hurt me, he thought,  she is so small.  He watched her walk to the matnand bowed to the class before beginning her piece.  He looked at the clock and yawned.

It’s already 4? He thought.  Practicing at such late times and not having regular eating schedules allowed him to last the whole day on a few eggs and not feeling starved.

I wonder if that pizza parlor is still around, he thought before being interrupted by the sound of his brother’s voice.

“Jiwon, come here,” Bobby walked onto the mat and smiled at the kids all staring at him curiously.

“Hey, I’m Jiwon,” the kids all greeted him and Nari stood by him and rolled her sleeves to prepare for the move.

“Ok, Jiwon,” Jiun said, “just relax and stand still.  Let Nari do everything.”  Bobby just nodded and Jiun began explaining what exactly Nari would be doing.  He just tuned it out, the sound of his brother’s voice not being something he wanted to constantly hear.  His attention moved to Nari who was stretching her neck and he was impressed when he heard the cracks come about.

Maybe I can take her to get some pizza after this, he thought.  Nari didn’t look at him at all until the very end but only had a stone cold expression.

“Ready?” She asked.  Bobby just nodded and shrugged, fueling the anger bubbling up in Nari’s body.  She went into a fighting stance and Bobby just smiled.

She’s really cu-, his thoughts were suddenly interrupted as Nari came at him and flipped his body entirely until his back made harsh contact with the mat.  It didn’t offer as much protection as he thought as it only absorbed the impact.  The pain was still clearly there.

He groaned on the mat and squirmed, his eyes closed trying to focus on getting rid of the pain.

“Always remember, guys,” she said.  Bobby opened his eyes and she was looking at him with a fierce glare, scaring him a bit.  “No matter, your strength will overcome your opponent if you’re confident and never underestimate them.”  Bobby gulped as Nari let him go and stood up to face the class directly.  He didn’t hear the rest of what she said because he was still in shock of what happened.

What the hell? He thought.  Is she mad at me?

“Ok, that was great,” Jiun said as he tried to contain his grin.  “Let’s keep going.”  Bobby just sighed as he tried to stand back up, no help being offered from Nari or Jiun.  For the rest of the hour, Nari threw his body around like a ragdoll and showed no mercy or signs of going easy on him.    When it was the students’ turn, some even practiced on him to avoid seriously hurting a classmate.  The sudden attempts by each child pulling at his body made each try more uncomfortable than the previous one.  By the time the class ended, he couldn’t get up from the mat and just lied there, just trying to understand what happened.

“Bye kids,” Jiun said as the kids went out the door.  Nari smiled at him as she went into the locker room to change.  He turned to see Bobby breathing heavily on the floor, trying his best not to move.  Jiun just chuckled as he grabbed some water and a towel before sitting down to join his brother.  He rested his head in his hand after giving Bobby the things and sighed.

“Rough day?”  Bobby couldn’t even turn his head to glare at his brother and instead huffed angrily.

“I’m supposed to be dancing and rapping in one of the best companies in the world, preparing for my career to take off,” Bobby said, each word being difficult to say.  “But instead, I’m here.  Being used as a punching bag.”

“Well, you deserve it, kid.”

“What do you mean?  What did I do that was so bad to deserve all of this?  I know I screwed up a little, but I know that.  Why am I here?” Bobby let out in frustration.

“The fact that you’re asking me just proces that you still don’t understand.  It’s so much more than just you realizing what you did wrong.  Anyone can do that.  You still don’t understand what your actions to everyone and from what I see,” Jiun looked at Jiwon and up and down his aching body before shaking his head, “you’re not the same kid that left years ago to go follow his dream.”  Before Bobby could think of some snarky comeback, Nari came out of the locker room.

“Do you need me for anything else?” She asked, not looking at Bobby’s state on the floor.  Bobby turned his head to look at her, an annoyed feeling rising.  Not once did she apologize or give him a look of reassurance for each thing she did to him which pissed him off greatly.

Jiun looked at Nari and glanced at Bobby’s slowly moving body.  He was trying to flip over on his stomach so that he could push himself up.

“Um,” he started, “actually, can you take Bobby home for me?”  The two of them suddenly heard a smack on the mat and saw Bobby lying face first on the ground.

“Ow,” he groaned.  His brother’s request caught him offguard as he was getting up, the surprise making his elbows give out.

Why would he suggest that? He thought.  I don’t want to see this girl again.  Bobby slowly pushed himself up again and mumbled in pain as his muscles ached when he finally stood up.

“Not to be rude, oppa,” she said carefully, “but why?”

“Yeah, are you not going home now?” Bobby spoke up as he brushed his shoulders and legs.

“Nope,” Jiun said as he looked out the window of the dojo and smiled.  “I have plans.”  He opened the door and Jeeyoung burst in with a smile.

“Hi guys,” she said with a perky tone.  “How are you guys doing?”  Jiun just put his arm around Jeeyoung and smiled brightly.  She looked over at Bobby and Nari, sensing the tense atmosphere between them.

“Uh, are you almost ready oppa?” She asked Jiun.

“Yeah, I just have to get some stuff from my office.  So is it fine, Nari?” He asked again.  Nari just sighed and nodded with a forced smile.

“I’ll wait outside,” she said and walked out.  Once the door closed behind her, Jeeyoung looked over at Bobby.

“What did you do?”

“Nothing.  She literally just went and threw me around.  I have no idea what happened,” Bobby said with his hands raised.  “I’m going to get my stuff and go before she leaves me.”  Jeeyoung and Jiun just watched him leave the room and shrugged.

“They’ll be fine,” Jiun said.


Once Bobby changed into his sweats and sweater, he left the dojo to see Nari leaning against her car.  He sighed and hiked up his bag before walking to her.

“Do you want to get something to eat before you drop me off?” He suggested.  Nari looked up at him and just sighed.

“Whatever,” she said as she opened the door to get into the car.

“Whatever,” he mocked as he crossed over to get in the car.  The ride was an awkward experience as none of them said anything.  The only sound was the music from the radio and the soft sound of the car’s engine.  Bobby just tapped his finger and nodded his head to the music as it played.  He side glanced over to Nari and saw that she rest her head on one hand and the other hand was on the wheel.  Her lips were moving, most likely muttering the lyrics of the song.  Bobby just smiled and let out a light chuckle.

“What?” She said, the chuckle getting her attention.  “Why are you laughing?”  Bobby’s expression changed instantly, confused as to why she was so touchy.

“Nothing, you just look cool when you drive.”  She just scoffed and shook her head, making Bobby upset.

“Can I seriously not compliment you without you your teeth at me?” He said annoyed.  “What did I do in less than 24 hours to make you hate me?”

“It’s nothing.”

“It has to be something if you refuse to acknowledge any nice thing I might be doing.”

“Fine,” she said.  The car slowed to a stop as they reached a stop light.  “When I walked into the locker room,” she started.  Bobby just smirked to himself.  Ah, that’s what this is about, he thought.  He looked at her again and she just scoffed.

“Exactly, that’s exactly why,” she said with a glare.  “Forget it.”  The light turned green and she started driving again.  Bobby was caught offguard, still not understanding what happened.

“What the hell?” He said aloud.  She didn’t respond or look at him.  “Fine, just tell me and I won’t react at all.  You’ll just talk as if I’m a wall.”  She glanced at him and saw that he zipped his lips and gave her a gesturing glance.  She just shook her head before opening to speak again.

“When I walked in, the first thing you did was act like a douche.  Like just because you have a fit body, you think you’re entitled to having eyes at you.  Just because a girl is flustered that she saw someone not fully clothed, your mind instantly changed and assumed something.  It’s disgusting.  Sure, confidence is great, but I just know you have a big ego.  You act so cocky.  Like someone I--” she stopped herself before continuing.  “Forget it, but that’s it.  You seemed nice and then you acted like a boi just like that.”

Bobby sat back in his seat.  I honestly did not expect that, he thought.  Never heard that before.  Words like that have never been relayed to him unless it was like one of the guys.  Coming from a girl, it hurt a little.  He looked over at Nari whose angry scowl calmed down a little.

“Well,” he said.  “That’s a first.”

“I know.”

“Wow,” he said giving a forced chuckle.  “Well I’m sorry I guess.”  Bobby was at a loss for words, not really sure how to feel about the situation, but he knew it wasn’t a good feeling.

“It’s whatever now,” she said.  “I was going to get over it eventually.”  Bobby was still at a loss for words as she pulled up and parked in front of the place.

“I don’t know what you want, so I just stopped for pizza,” she said pulling out her keys and getting out of the car.  Bobby followed in suit and looked at the pizza place in awe.

“It’s still here,” he said in amazement.

“What?” she said.

“This is my favorite parlor,” he said with a smile before holding the door open for her.  Nari just nodded her head as she walked in.

Bobby walked in after her and looked around the old shop, remembering every time he came in after school to get a slice or just hang out with friends.  The place never changed.  The smell of the freshly baked pizza and the distinct cheeses filled the air, giving the whole room a warm feeling.  The two of them bought their own slices and sat down in front of the window with step stools.

Bobby didn’t know what to say to Nari after all of that, nor did she know what to say after releasing the anger.  The silence was broken when they saw a bunch of kids walk past the front of the store.  They were all wearing long gowns and suits as they laughed together.  The kids were dressed up well and were rushing to get into their cars.

“Oh, I forgot that it’s prom night,” Nari said.  Bobby looked at her with a curious look.

“What are they doing?”

“I don’t know.  I guess they went to grab a bite before going to the actual venue,” she said.  She bit into her slice and saw Bobby just nodding and looking at the kids with a different look in his eyes.

“Do you remember your prom?” She asked.

“No,” he said with a laugh, “I didn’t have one.”

“What?  Why?  Did something happen?”

“No, it’s not like that,” he said before taking a sip of his drink.  “I had to leave for Korea before the year ended so I never got a chance to go to prom or like really graduate from high school.”  He looked at the kids as they drove out into the street and grabbed his slice to eat.

“I bet they’ll have a nice night.”  Nari just looked at him in shock.

“Did school start that much earlier?”  She didn’t understand why he didn’t get to experience those things, especially the graduation part.

“It’s complicated,” he said.  “But what about you?  What was your prom like?”

“Oh,” she said with a forced laugh, “I didn’t go either.”

“Why?” He laughed.  “Did nobody ask you?”  She just glared at him.

“For your information, someone did.  But, I couldn’t pay for it so I stayed home,” she retorted.  Bobby’s face changed from silly to apologetic in an instant.  Damn, Bobby,  he thought, you’re 0 for 2.

“I’m sorry,” he said.  “So I guess we do have something in common.”

“Yeah, I guess.”  The night went back to having an awkward silence and Bobby sighed.  He didn’t want to have their entire summer be like this, constantly bickering or not having a good time in general.  She seemed nice, but just wasn’t the type of girl that he’s used to.

This girl is very different, he thought.

“Look,” he said trying to get her attention, “I’m sorry for whatever happened tonight.  It’s going to be a long summer if we don’t get on each other’s good side.  So I think we have to be somewhat civil if we want to have a nice summer at least.” Nari just looked over at Bobby and saw the genuine look in his eyes.  He looked like he would explode if she remained silent and she just sighed.

“Fine,” she started, “I’m sorry too.  I get heated really easily.  That’s just how I am now with how my life is.  I can’t really help it.”  She finished her pizza and wiped her hands and mouth with a tissue before turning her body directly to Bobby.  He did the same and followed in suit slowly.

“So, from here, we’ll start on a clean slate,” she said.  Nari brought her hand out for a shake and Bobby just looked at it with an eyebrow raised.  “This is the part where you shake my hand too so we can start over.”  Bobby just shrugged his shoulders and took her hand into his.

She has soft hands, he thought to himself.

“Are your hands usually this sweaty?” she asked after letting go and wiping her hand on her pants.  “It’s kind of weird.”  

“Um,” he said with a chuckle, “yeah I don’t know why it does that.”

“Ok, so then before we go, why don’t we say one thing about each other so we can get closer like you wanted,” she offered.

“It’s like the first day of school,” he said with a grin.

“Well yeah,” she laughed, “we have to start somewhere.  I’ll go first.”  She took a deep breath and looked at Bobby in the eyes before speaking.  He was slightly scared of what she would say because of the deep look in her eyes.  He could feel his palms sweating again.

“I love ice cream.”  Bobby just rolled his eyes before shaking his head with a small laugh.

“What?” she said, “it’s like almost an obsession.  I have to have it every night or I have like a sugar deficiency or something.”

“Nothing,” he said, “it’s funny.”  He cleared his throat before telling her his thing.

“Well,” he started, “I like to play basketball, but I was never good enough to be on a team and I never really understood the rules.  So, I just play.”  Nari just smiled before grabbing her plate and getting up from their spot.

“You’re odd.”  She left their spot and Bobby just smiled before following in suit.  The two of them entered the car and Nari pulled out to start going to Bobby’s house.  The ride for the most part was silent.  The windows were down and the wind blew their hair behind them.  The music filled the silence until the car slowed down to pull up in front of Bobby’s house.  He sighed before turning to look at Nari.

“So should I walk you to your door like how prom dates usually would?” she said with a smirk.  Bobby just looked at her in disbelief.

“You change your emotions just like that,” he said, “you’re weird.”  He laughed before getting out of the car and thanking her.

“No problem, girly,” she winked at him, “see you tomorrow.”  Bobby just walked into his house after watching her car drive away.  He let out a big sigh and shook his head as he went up into his room.  He plopped down into his bed and stared up at his ceiling.  The eyes of Tablo were staring down at him.  The images of the practice room and the rest of the guys.

“This is going to be an interesting summer.”