a surprised; he confessed his love through the sound of music with his voice like honey

For awhile; someone died tonight

a/n: the song used is Fall In Love by Barcelona (I hate this song now by the amount of time I've played it). I would like to apologize for any mistakes because I like to write but having to check for mistakes, some of them goes unnoticed and it reminds me of how terrible I wrote this. Thank youu for reading x

 

“Am I supposed to be surprised?” Vernon asked his friend, Seungkwan who rolls his eyes in response at the confused boy. “Boo!” He calls out which made his friend turn around with a smile appearing on his lips. Vernon brought his arm around Seungkwan’s shoulder and brought him in for a side hug. “I was kidding, this is amazing! I am really looking forward for you to be up there.” He gestures towards the small stage at the corner of the café.

 

The café they met for the first time has been named as their own café. It was the place where it all started. Where curious eyes turn to talks about life then developing a friendship between two strangers. Since the day they met, they have used every single free time of their day to meet up in the café. The two friends talks about anything that doesn't necessary have to be something big but enough to distract the life they have outside the café. It was sort of their little heaven where everything is just perfect.

 

However, today will be something different for the both of them or mostly Seungkwan. He had came up with a bulletproof plan, metaphorically speaking. There are few upsides of how it might end but there are also many downsides of it. Vernon wasn’t aware of what was going on in his friend’s head, he was suspicious though. Seungkwan had only told him that today will be the day that he will perform live, in public with people he doesn't know. The reason was still unknown and Vernon assumes it’s Seungkwan’s way to get out of his comfort zone but for Seungkwan, it’s more than getting out of his comfort zone.

 

“When do you go on?” Vernon asked his friend who suddenly found his shoes more interesting. He lets out a small laugh at the distracted boy. He brought his hand lower to Seungkwan’s waist and squeeze him lightly. This action got the boy’s attention as he lift his head to meet his eyes.

 

Their eyes were staring into each other’s, the moment seem to only be between them. Whatever going around them were just ambience sound. Vernon’s hold on Seungkwan wasn’t rough but it felt so gentle like holding him wrongly can break everything. He didn’t want to ruin it.

 

“Boo Seungkwan! You’re up next!”

 

The loud voice broke the two boys out of their trance. An awkward cough leaves Vernon who scratches the back of his head when he had let go off Seungkwan. He pointed towards the stage then closes his eyes, a few seconds pass before he opens them again. Vernon brushes the dust off Seungkwan’s shoulder.

 

“Just do you, man.” His words of encouragement ease up the nervousness that was building up in Seungkwan. Vernon smiles at Seungkwan who thanks him before walking up the stage. He turns around to find the closest chair he could which was few steps away. He intently stares at the stage in front of him as he waits for the performance to begin.

 

Seungkwan clears his throat, making a huge mistake by doing it directly at the microphone. A loud screech came through the speaker which made the people in the café to cover their ears, some of them glares at him which didn’t help him in any way. He was at the verge of wanting to get down the stage and walking out of the café but then his eyes fell on the reassuring brown eyes. Vernon gives him a wide smile and nods his head then mouthed, “Ignore them”. Seungkwan takes a deep breath and gestures for the man near the stage to play the music.

 

The music plays through the speaker that was located down the stage, it was clear for everyone around the café to listen. Seungkwan closes his eyes, letting the music conquer his mind and let it take away any sort of nervousness he felt. Music can be an escape and a help to heal oneself. He’s using it to escape and at the same time, help him.

 

We've been on for a minute, no more feeling alone...” Seungkwan sings into the microphone softly, his voice was shaking but he tried his best to not make it show. “We're trying hard not to bruise it...” He continues to sing softly. “I said, if forever's gonna last then we'd better find the same direction.” This reminded him why he needed to do this, find a way to express his thoughts and feelings. Seungkwan opens his eyes but closes it immediately when his eyes directly meets Vernon’s eyes.

 

Behind his eyelids, pictures of the familiar person appears. His eyes open slowly as he sings the next line,  “I've been gone for a minute”.  Vernon was looking at him with a smile that’s reaches up to his eyes. “I've been out on the road and the night got me thinking” He pointed towards his head and shakes his head. “Thinking...about lying in bed in the dark in the warm and we're ”.  He smiles shyly, a part of him wished he didn’t had to sing that part but it wouldn’t be complete. Seungkwan wanted to tell his story so he had to do it.

 

The music stops for a mere second before it started playing more upbeat than before. Seungkwan sings much louder this time,  “I want you for so long, tell me is it so wrong”. He looks at Vernon, their eyes were staring deeply into each other as he sings the next line,  “Even if we fall in love...fall in love”. He brought his free hand up to rest on his chest as he continues to sing, “I don't wanna hold you down, dear”. His eyes doesn’t leave Vernon as he sings the final line of the chorus, “Trying to make it so clear, hoping that we fall in love….fall in love”.

 

Seungkwan moves along to the music playing in the background, he felt his whole body starting to get used to the feeling of being on stage. “It's getting hard not to take it, I wanna ask but I don't...” He sings softly, his eyes were looking everywhere but at that one person. He wants to express all that his spoken words couldn’t. “But it's time for me to face it” He sings and slowly turns to see Vernon clapping his hand excitedly at watching Seungkwan singing. “Keep telling myself run away, run away, run away, don't chase it” He remembers the night he stayed away, reminding himself of how bad it could turn out and he should just leave it behind. He was afraid to put effort into something that’s still uncertain.

 

A memory comes in his head, it was when they had gone out for dinner. Seungkwan was so happy till a waitress came over to their table and ruin every bit of happiness that was in his heart over being able to spend time with Vernon. It was pure jealousy. He didn't want to admit it but Vernon saw the harsh glare he gave the waitress. Vernon found it funny while Seungkwan found it embarrassing. It was a story that will be brought up once in awhile, Seungkwan will always be upset or tried to be but it won’t work when he hears Vernon laugh and sees his bright eyes.

 

Don't give up on me, baby...when I stumble along….when I act a little crazy” Seungkwan sings while his eyes is looking at Vernon and his mind is playing back the many memories they shared together.  “Remember my love for you won't fade, won't fade, you keep it blazing” He hopes that after the end of this, what they have will still be intact with no chances of it falling apart.

 

Seungkwan sings the chorus once more then it reaches to the near end of the song. “When you hold on to me...when you let me in…” His eyes shut close for awhile, letting the words sing out smoothly before opening his eyes again. “You better know that I got you under my skin..” He unconsciously pointed at Vernon but quickly turn his hand to wave at the audience. This action made Vernon look at him confused.

 

Ooh, you got me restless, I can't sleep alone...you better be waiting till I get home..” He sings these words louder, letting the emotions in his voice be heard. The chorus of the song comes once more, he sings it with just as much passion he had before. Seungkwan looks at Vernon whose eyes are watching his every move. The look of adoration is obvious, it was so evident and it made Seungkwan surprise. Vernon is actually listening to him sing and he’s paying attention to every one of the lyrics.

 

“Hoping that we fall in love...fall in love…” Seungkwan finishes the song with the last line. The people in the café erupts in cheers and claps at his performance. Vernon stood up from his chair and clap for his friend on the stage. Seungkwan shyly thanks the audience and walks down the stage. The few people there personally went up to him and complimented his performance. He walks to the one person who was in his mind at every word he sang.

 

Vernon had a wide smile on his face which shows his teeth. He quickly engulfed Seungkwan in a hug, his arms going around the boy’s waist while Seungkwan stands still without taking any other action. He was too lost of words and action. The way Vernon is holding him right now, it felt like he did everything right. He didn't want this to end.

 

“It will be great if you could hug me back.” Vernon spoke up, he pull away slightly and locking eyes with Seungkwan. “Hey, I know you're a big star now but it doesn't give you the right to forget me and not giving me my favourite hug.” He teasingly said. Seungkwan tried to hide his face but eventually hugs him just as tight.

 

They pull away from the embrace, hands never letting go of each other as they remain in a close proximity. Vernon’s smile didn't go away as his eyes watch over the facial expression on Seungkwan. The obvious shyness from him didn't flatter. Vernon brought his teeth to bite down on his bottom lip, he waited for Seungkwan to say something. He notice that the boy’s eyes are not meeting his own but solely train on his lips.

 

“Don't just stare at me, you should ask me out.”

 

Seungkwan lose his hold on Vernon and nearly falls back, if it wasn't for Vernon who held him back. A laugh escapes from the taller boy who lead Seungkwan to the empty chair. A knowing smile is on his face as he sees the nervousness that's very evident on Seungkwan’s face, the way his eyes kept flickering from the tile floor to his feet made it obvious.

 

Vernon shakes his head at his friend. He bends down, letting his knee touch the ground. He brought his hand to rest on Seungkwan’s knee and tap it once to get the boy’s attention. Although Seungkwan didn't look down or meet his eyes, Vernon took it as his opportunity to go with what he has to say than wait till something happen, if it does.

 

“Boo?” Vernon calls his name but he didn't get a response. The corners of Seungkwan’a lips curved into a smile which made Vernon mentally cheer. “Was that song…maybe...for me?” He ask, there was no point of me to play it off like he knew nothing till the obvious truth is out. Seeing the way Seungkwan is acting right now, he wouldn't be surprise if he only talks after days or even months.

 

A song. That was the words Seungkwan couldn't directly say so he sang it. He poured his whole heart out in a song for one person, Vernon. There are so many possibilities of how it will end and he didn't want either of it ending with him losing Vernon forever. Seungkwan wouldn't be able to live the same without Vernon in his life. Vernon is too important to him.

 

“Yes...” Seungkwan answered with hesitation. “No, I did sing that for you- it's for you.” He struggles with the words that left his mouth but nonetheless try to continue talking. “I really like you, Vernon...and it's not like how friends do…” He felt his heart tighten as the word friends came out of his mouth. But that's how all relationships starts, with a friendship. It still fear him how it can remain the same or nothing at all.

 

Vernon nods his head, he doesn't say a word as he watches the way Seungkwan mouth seem to open but close. There was more he wanted to say but the words wasn't coming out of his mouth while his eyes showed the stories he didn't dare tell.

 

“Ask me out.”

 

Seungkwan looks at Vernon in shock. This is the second time but this time, it sounded more real like it wasn't anywhere close to a joke. He looks at Vernon, waiting for him to laugh. Seungkwan felt the uncomfortable feeling in his stomach that's going up his chest. Vernon’s eyes showed no sign of lies, then it made him think about how he likes looking into those deep brown eyes.


This. It feels right.