A Day Off

You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 4: A Day Off

“Do you think we could go out this weekend? It’s getting boring inside this apartment.” I spoke in my cutest voice as I poked at the arm of the girl beside me. She seemed unaffected by my antics and continued typing on her computer. My face dropped as I realized that she probably hadn’t even heard me.
 

“Hey! Can’t you stop typing for one second and talk to me? I’ve been sitting here for hours.” Anger slipped into parts of my sentence and although it wasn’t my intention to get angry, I was glad that it seemed to get her attention.
 

“What? Did you say something?” Ok. Almost get her attention.
 

“I said I want to do something because we’ve been in this place for days and if I don’t see the sun soon I think I might die.” I over-exaggerated by flinging myself back onto the bed we were sitting on and heard a small laugh as I did.
 

I laid on the bed waiting for a response, but instead I was met with the sound of a computer closing and the jostle of the bed as another individual fell back beside me.
 

“I’m sorry. I know it’s been annoying staying inside while I’ve finished up this stupid paper, but it’s practically done now so we should do something.” The girl next to me spoke in a soft tone and I could tell that it was taking everything in her power not to close her eyes and fall asleep after working on the paper for so long.
 

I propped myself up on my elbow and gazed at her only to see that her eyes had indeed shut and her breathing was evening out with every passing second. I smiled at the way her hair had been flung over her face as if it’d been placed by hand to make her look even more beautiful.
 

Sighing, I brushed the hair out of her face and inched closer to her unmoving body before I placed a gentle kiss onto her forehead.
 

“There’s always tomorrow.” I whispered before I cuddled into her side and allowed myself to drift along with her.

My eyes burned as I attempted to open them. A ray of sunlight was perfectly aligned with the slit in my blinds; slicing through the space around me to shine directly at me. I shifted in my bed to avoid its gaze and ended up rolling out of my blankets in the process.
 

The new air grazing my skin didn’t affect me. I was too caught up in my dream. It had been so long since I’d thought of her. It felt like ages almost. For the most part I’d followed through on my promise to forget her, yet I trickled back into her embrace so easily.
 

Since I’d found my phone and saved those photos elsewhere, she’d started to become a distant memory. It wasn’t until this dream that I’d even contemplated her. I wish I hadn’t dreamt at all.
 

I rolled out of bed with less enthusiasm than normal and shuffled my way to the kitchen. Seohyun had work today, but I was off. That meant the apartment was mine and since Hyoyeon was forced to be at the office today, there was no way I could be pulled away from my solitude.
 

I knew that interaction was good and all, I’d practically been a prime socialite back in California, but something about Korea just made me want to stay inside. Maybe I was afraid of what could happen beyond my own doors.
 

Settling my thoughts, I made a cup of coffee and retreated to the couch. As always, nothing of interest was playing so I resorted to my favorite pass time of social media browsing.
 

I mindlessly scrolled through page after page, delving deeper when the topic at hand interested me. I waded my way through the ocean of trending tags and popular accounts that I always tended to check when I got on in an effort to waste the time I’d been so happy to have upon waking this morning.
 

It wasn’t until I heard a knock at the door that I realized my coffee had gone cold and my back had grown stiff. Sighing, I placed down my phone and padded to the door ready to give an intimidating glare towards anyone who dare dared to disturb my time wasting tactics.
 

As soon as the door opened, I was met with a blur of moving body as the one who had knocked entered the house. I almost screamed at the sudden intrusion before I heard the individual speak.
 

“I’m so bored!!!” I immediately settled and instead transferred my emotions to a sense of displeasure knowing that the blur from before was none other than the girlfriend of my roommate.
 

“Hello Yoona. Please, come in.” I spoke sarcastically as I shut the door and went to grab my coffee cup off of the table in the living room. Before I was able to reach it though, Yoona sat down and lifted the mug to her lips. She took a long sip before spitting the liquid back into the mug with a look of disgust plastered on her face.
 

“What did you do to this coffee?” She spoke as she set down the coffee cup and pushed it ever so slightly away from herself.
 

“It’s this new brewing method I’m trying called leaving it out for at least 2 hours after making it.” My sarcasm continued as I couldn’t find it in myself to be nice on my day off. Something told me I’d somehow end up babysitting today if I wasn’t careful. Yoona didn’t seem to pay any mind to my remark besides a shrug before she spoke.
 

“God, Seohyun’s right ya know. You look like you haven’t left this apartment in weeks. What can you possibly do in here for that long?” Yoona appraised my appearance and got up to pour the contents of the mug down the sink.
 

I huffed and proceeded to the couch in an effort to bury my head into a pillow.
 

“Please don’t tell me that you won’t hang out. I’m so bored right now and Seobaby said if I go bother her at work one more time she won’t go out with me for a week. Do you know what a week of no Seobaby would do to me Tiffany?”
 

I made a mental note to not imagine the possibility of Yoona having to survive without Seohyun and instead decided to make an attempt at getting Yoona out of the apartment.
 

“Look, you have 3 other roommates and 2 friends who live somewhere around here.” I looked away to think if I knew either Sunny or Sooyoung’s schedules but seemed to come up at a blank.
 

“Why don’t you just hang out with one of them? Specifically, hang out with one who isn’t trying to enjoy her day off.” I sent a pointed glance her way, but she seemed unaffected as she joined me on the couch and gave me a long stare.
 

“Hyoyeon and Seobaby are working, which you know. That takes out 1 roommate and my girlfriend. Sunny and Sooyoung are having a ‘couple day’ which basically means that stopping by their place could prove bad for my health. That takes out the 2 friends you mentioned. Lastly, the other 2 roommates I have are pretty much reenacting Battle Royale at the moment with the way they’ve been yelling and screaming this morning. I wouldn’t be surprised if one has thrown a knife by this point. So basically, that leaves me with no one except for you Tiffany.”
 

I stayed silent as I processed the information that Yoona had so effortlessly spit out. It was obvious she’d put a lot of thought into the best individual to cure her boredom and although part of me was impressed with her thoroughness, another part of me felt a bit betrayed at being the last resort.
 

“And no Tiffany, you weren’t the last resort. I know you’re practically a hermit and I didn’t want to risk getting inside all day.” I frowned at her seemingly being able to read me like a book and decided that I wasn’t about to let her get everything right.
 

“I’m no hermit. I was planning on going out today anyway.” I stood defiantly like a teenager

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter