...because we live in a small world.

Tangled in Your Heartstrings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"That will be ₩200,000... thank you for shopping!"

It was another busy day at the shopping center, specifically at the clothes' section. There was a long line of customers waiting to pay the things they bought, and Yerin could not help but feel more tired just by looking at the queue.

"Don't worry. Just two more hours and our shift will be over," Sowon said as she scanned the items of the customer at the adjacent counter, "It's just that it's almost vacation and a lot of people are buying swimsuits and hats for the beach."

"I know," Yerin smiled, "It's just that... I feel a bit tired today. I wasn't able to get enough sleep last night."

"...that's ₩90,000..." Sowon said to the customer, before turning to Yerin again, "Eh? Why?"

"Dad is sick. He is in the hospital. I had to accompany him last night because my aunt had to go home and fix some things at their place."

Ever since her mother died three years ago, things became a bit more difficult for Yerin and her father. Mr. Jung was suffering from a heart disease, and the treatment costed more than what they had. Yerin had to drop out of college and work to pay for her father's hospital bills, but it still was not enough. The worst time came unexpectedly that she and her father decided to ask money from a loan shark, which became enough to cover three-fourths of the hospital bill, but in return, Yerin had to work for more part-time jobs to pay for the amount they borrowed plus the high interest.

 

-

"Geez, I'm sorry to hear that about your father," Sowon patted her friend's back after hearing her story. The two were having lunch at a food stall outside the shopping center, and the kindly old woman who ran the stall was listening to their conversation without them noticing.

"Ah, that really is a difficult situation you are in!" the old woman suddenly interrupted, "You won't be safe from the loan sharks until you pay them!"

"Wh--what do you mean, ma'am?" Yerin furrowed her eyebrows. She was not the type who easily believed strangers, but the old lady looked very serious and worried; she did not seem like someone who would bluff people who were having problems.

"My neighbor used to run a small pharmacy in our neighborhood, but her husband was a gambling addict," the old woman already took a seat beside Yerin. Her eyes widened as she told her story, "Because her husband spent her earnings on gambling, she went bankrupt. She didn't want to give up the pharmacy so she approached a loan shark and borrowed money. She planned to use it to redeem her pharmacy, but she could not keep it up anymore. After four months, she gave up, closed the pharmacy for good, and left the city. But the loan shark still followed her and forced her to give her land to pay for the money she borrowed," she took a deep breath, before shaking her head in disbelief, "She ended up homeless after that. Good thing her sister took her in."

Sowon and Yerin both looked aghast after hearing the old lady's story, and Yerin could already feel her heart beating too quickly after realizing that she and her father might end up in trouble with the loan shark.

"Tch. If I were you, I'd do my best to pay them within six months, or else they'll make your life miserable while you are alive," the old lady concluded before standing up and doing some stretches,  "I need to go back to work now. I wish you all the best, ladies."

Sowon followed the old lady with her eyes as she walked away, "Pfft, who would even believe such story. This isn't a primetime drama. Loan sharks can't harass people like that. Don't think about it too much, Yerin," she smiled, but the old lady's story really made her friend more worried and uneasy than before.

"I--I need to pay them as soon as possible," Yerin wiped the beads of sweat already forming on her forehead, "Sowon unnie, what if I end up like that lady's friend?!"

"Nonsense!" Sowon held Yerin's shoulders firmly, "Nothing's going to happen to you, so don't worry too much. Well, if they ever come, the police station is just one call away. If you need anything, just tell me."

The determined look on Sowon's face somehow made Yerin feel secure and at ease. If it weren't for her friend, she would probably end up feeling devastated.

"Sowon unnie," Yerin smiled shyly, "Thank you so much. I'm not your responsibility, yet you are doing this for me."

"Tch. You are like a younger sister to me now; of course I'm going to help you," Sowon responded, "Ah! We should cut this out now. We might end up crying if we continue being sappy like this. Let's eat now."

Yerin could not help but giggle at Sowon for being embarrassed about crying. They have been friends for four years already, and she already knew that Sowon was the type who wanted to look tough outside, but she was actually emotional inside.

Sowon noticed that her friend was just staring at her with a weird smile on her face, "Wh--what are you looking at?" Sowon held her cheeks, "Is there anything on my face?"

Yerin shook her head, "Ah, I wouldn't know what to do without you. You know what, I guess I will be the first one to cry once you get married."

Sowon chuckled; Yerin was the only person who could talk to her about marriage as if it would be the worst decision she could make in life. Yerin was harsher than Sowon's own mother when it came to marriage talks.

"Stop saying nonsense," Sowon rested her chin on her hand as she tilted her glass half full with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter