...because of a mother.

Tangled in Your Heartstrings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was already 11 in the evening and Junhui and his mother still sat silently facing each other in the dining room. Mrs. Wen was visibly upset, her arms crossed, her phone in front of her with her husband's number on speed dial. Junhui, on the other end of the table, looked devastated, his palms sweaty at the thought of what his mother could do when Yerin arrives.

The awkward silence was unbearable, but Junhui had to endure until Yerin's arrival. His elaborate plan was almost too good, but just because Mrs. Wen mistakenly wandered and entered Yerin's room, his plan went down the drain.

"How many minutes do I have to wait, Wen Junhui?" Mrs. Wen inquired sternly. She used his full name; Junhui already knew that his mother was beyond upset. She was angry.

Junhui took a deep breath before responding, "They're on their way, mom."

"Well, they should be," Mrs. Wen seethed. A few minutes passed and they heard the front door open. Junhui immediately stood up and went to the living room, and saw a worried Yerin enter the room, carrying a box of doughnuts with her. Meanwhile, Wonwoo just stayed in front of the door. Junhui went to approach his friend, who shared the same anxious expression as him.

"Aunt Yiyi's upset?" Wonwoo asked, to which Junhui responded with a nod. Junhui sighed, "Thanks for your help."

"It's okay, dude," Wonwoo pursed his lips and gave his friend a pat on the shoulder, "Just call me when you need anything," Wonwoo remarked before making his way to the elevator.

Junhui slowly closed the front door and turned to look at Yerin, who still stood a few meters away from the dining area. He knew she was afraid. Yerin had always been afraid of being confronted. She could still remember how Yerin looked at Mrs. Wen when they say each other inside the principal's office. He never wanted Yerin to experience such fear again, but because of him, Yerin was dragged into it again.

Junhui slowly appraoched her and held her arm. Yerin was startled.

"Ah, I'm sorry," Junhui muttered, "Mom is waiting inside."

Yerin was still in a daze, but she still nodded and followed Junhui's lead. They entered the dining area together, and Mrs. Wen gave the both of them a glare as they entered the room. Junhui immediately went back to his seat while Yerin approached Mrs. Wen.

"G-Good evening, Mrs. Wen," Yerin greeted meekly as she placed the box of doughnuts in front of the older woman, "I-I brought this f-for you."

Mrs. Wen was unamused. She just shifted her gaze from Yerin to the doughnuts, and let out a deep sigh. Yerin knew it was her signal; Mrs. Wen did not like it. With the tense atmosphere, Yerin just took an empty seat beside Junhui and lowered her head, careful not to let her eyes meet Mrs. Wen's.

Junhui cleared his throat to break the si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter