You only hear the music when your heart begins to break

Awake and Unafraid, Asleep or Dead

Some notes as a reminder or further explanation on some Magic things.
1. Firstly, Yugyeom's protection spell is the same spell that turned him into Snow White. The spell is broken if anyone knows Snow White is actually Jinyoung.
2. Secondly, Snow White can manipulate plants and command animals.
Other things that are worth noting, this fic is not historically accurate, so don't try to place a time or setting to it. lol.


You only hear the music when you’re heart begins to break

Jinyoung trudges on into the woods, feeling his blood boil. He was useless as a girl, sitting around waiting for the moment the queen will finally attack him. He had been working so hard on his magic to a point that even Yugyeom had an impressed glint in his eye. He could command the forest as he wished it. He could grow strong tree vines in a matter of seconds and call upon animals to his command. He at the very least has found it was always useful.

He had the oversized cloak Jackson had lent him on, the hood covering most of his face as he entered the city.

He blends himself into the crowd, something he had been used to from all the years of sneaking in and out of the castle. It felt strange for Jinyoung to walk in such a familiar place but everything within him felt foreign. The swish of his dress and his swift movements avoiding the crowd and hiding behind pillars that used to barely cover him which was now overly large. His body wasn’t his and as his light footsteps paces through the bustling of the town he felt vulnerable.

Maybe he was doing the wrong thing.

He hides himself behind a wall when he spots the royal blue of the castle guard’s uniforms at the corner of his eye. He stalks them as they slowly move away from him making sure he was fully hidden. When they leave he scouts the area. He could see the castle from where he stood. The vine covered gate walls barely covered the high towers of the castle. It sat on a hill and the path that was paved to the entranced was designed so that whoever was making their way into the castle could be seen from the large decorative windows. Jinyoung had to climb the hill through the heavy bushes surrounding it in order to not be seen. It wasn’t something he wasn’t used to thanks to his regular visits to the forest and it was probably easier to do with his powers.  

He was about to leave his hiding spot when something caught his eye.

A picture of Snow White on parchment with bold letters reading ‘wanted with reward’ was sticking on the wall right in front of him. Jinyoung approached it, hoping for a better look. It was no mistake the picture clearly showed a picture of him and a description that read ‘wanted for treason a fair skinned girl who goes by the name Snow White’.

Jinyoung traces his finger over the picture trying to process the photo. The picture of Snow White was pretty and the description was accurately described his features but the more he looked at the photo the more he felt that Snow White wasn’t him. The way the curl of her short hair frame her miniscule face that was donned with her larger brown eyes, her full lips seemingly small in comparison to his lips. Snow White was essentially him but the more Jinyoung stared at the features the more he felt it wasn’t him.

Skin as white as snow, lips as red as roses and hair as dark as night…

 Jinyoung snaps himself out of his winding thoughts and realizes that the wanted poster was issued by the castle, meaning that it was ordered by the queen. Yugyeom was right. The queen still found him even with the disguise. The queen knew exactly what he looked like without even having to see him. Jinyoung feels his heart drop with dread as he stares at the picture. There is possibility that the queen might know who Snow White truly was but Yugyeom had said that no one could know he was Jinyoung, otherwise the spell would break. Meaning, Snow White was a wanted not because she was Jinyoung.

 

If he managed to walk through the castle, past all the guards to the queen’s chamber where she was most likely staying, she would know he was the enemy. She would know he was there to kill her.

Let her know. Let her feel in whose hands she dies in.

Jinyoung wanted to end this once and for all. He was tired of being stepped on like he was worth nothing; pushed away and ignored whether it was the queen or Mark Tuan; whether he was Snow White or Jinyoung.  He was done.

His march towards the castle was with renewed purpose. His movement charged as he swung on vines that bent to his will up the hill, hands lifted as he concentrated on moving them and finally he reached the foot of the castle. The vines growing on the walls aid his climb as he lowers himself over the gate and onto the castle grounds, careful for any castle guards. The castle still looked exactly the same when he manages to climb his way in through an open window by the vines he had managed to manipulate. He hides behind long curtains when he heard castle maids scurrying towards his direction.

The corridors were becoming dark as daylight quickly dwindled which made it easier for Jinyoung to sneak towards the queen’s chambers. His heart was thumping loudly in his chest as he carefully snuck his way through the corridors, making sure there was almost no sound in his foot steps that would let him be found. He made his way towards the all too familiar grand corridor that leads to the queen’s chambers. The large portraits of previous kings and queens hung in decoration their judging eyes never ceasing to make Jinyoung feel their disappointment in him as the true heir, as if he wasn’t already feeling nauseous from the adrenaline and jitters pumping through his veins to meet his victory or more likely his demise.

The door to the queen’s chambers was tight shut and a castle guard stood in front of it. It was an indication that the queen was indeed in her chamber because the queen never went anywhere without her guards. He needed a plan and he needed one quick. Jinyoung couldn’t simply knock the guard out without making big enough of a ruckus to draw attention to himself. Maybe if he could lure the guard away from the door to his direction, he could bring leave the door unguarded and the sounds of their battle away from the queen’s ears. He could land a mean punch to his jaw and knock him out. Jinyoung knew he could deliver the blow effectively; he had been trained for it before. But how could he lure the guard towards him?

His eyes then fell upon a knight statue that stood at the very end of the corridor. It was far from where he stood but close to an open window. The guard could see the statue from where he stood and in order to get to the statue he needed to past where Jinyoung was hiding behind a pillar. Jinyoung could catch him in his path and knock him out. Hopefully, doing all of this very quietly. Now, all he needed was a distraction.

Jinyoung purses his wet lips together and lightly whistles, concentrating on calling for some friends. His low whistle summons a nightingale that appears through the open window and surges into the armor making the knight statue rattle as its wings and claws hit the metal surfaces within it. Jinyoung watches the guard who was idly standing guard wake at the noise.

The castle guard immediately runs towards the rattling armor. Jinyoung prepared himself for action as he watched the large guard run in his direction. With ease, Jinyoung lands a punch to his jaw that he and catches the unconscious guard before he hits the ground. Jinyoung pulled him towards a nearby cabinet and stuffs him in; hoping none of the castle staff will open the cabinet anytime soon. Jinyoung then makes his way to the door and slowly pries the door open. He is careful to only open it enough for him to peak in without the queen noticing.

“She is nowhere to be found” the queen’s voice echoes through her large room. “The men have raided all the houses and there is no sign of her. How can she be the fairest in the land if she does not exist in this town?”

Jinyoung watches her spit fury. She was pacing the room in front of her dressing table. Her long dark purple dress had a black cloak that draped down to the floor. Her chest was crested with a large shiny pendant that held the cloak in place. The gems in the crown that she wore as a sign of her ruling matched the gem in the pendant.

“I am growing weaker!” She bellowed so suddenly after a long silence. Jinyoung almost yelped in surprise as he racks his brains for an explanation. It was almost as if she was talking to someone but there was no one other than her in the room. The queen stood, heaving her breath, eyes furiously glaring at the reflection of herself in the dressing table mirror.

Jinyoung then realized that the queen did seem weaker. Her once flawless skin was now wrinkled and dull. Her hair that was usually in a tight bun, was now let loose, the strands prominent with white hair. Her movement that was once youthful and energetic was now lethargic. It was almost as if her powers were waning.

“I’m going to try this again and you are going to tell me what I need to hear” she breathed dangerously low. Her tone filled with venom that brought back the memories of his mere escape from her clutches.

“Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?”

Mirror?

Her voice echoes in the large chamber. It is only met with deafening silence that made Jinyoung’s hair rise at the back of his neck. She is speaking with someone.

“SNOW WHITE?!” she shouted, clutching the sides of her dressing table. “I AM GOING TO KILL HER IF IT’S THE LAST THING I DO!”

In a fit of rage she pushes off all the trinkets that decorate her dressing table and they fall onto the hard ground in a loud smash. She lets out a furious scream, her hands clawing at the hair and Jinyoung could see some of it, falling out as she pulls, almost as if youth had escaped her that even her hair was fragile and falling out. She then slumps to the ground in angry tears. Her hands held out in front of her as she gazes onto the strands of hair in the palm of her hand.

She was weak and Jinyoung might just know why.

“So is it true?” he entered in new confidence. “The reason you are using your powers is because of me?”

The evil queen looks up in an almost shock expression at his entrance but it quickly washes away with fury.

“YOU!” she hissed.

 “It’s the mirror isn’t it” Jinyoung snickers, enjoying the desperate panic in the queen’s face. “It’s what powers your magic. It only powers your magic because you used to be the fairest of them all but you aren’t anymore are you?”

“How did you –“ her voice was frail in sign of vulnerability that awakens Jinyoung’s thirst for revenge.

“Is Snow White the fairest of them all?” Jinyoung taunts. “Is that why you are ugly now?”

“HOW DARE YOU” she swiftly raises to her feet and immediately lifting her arms in a familiar exaggerated motion. Jinyoung could predict it and swiftly dodges her attack. A wooden chair flies into the air and falls with a loud crack from behind Jinyoung. Jinyoung could feel the blood pumping through his veins and the accelerated heart beat that held his eagle focus. He dodges attacks swiftly moving around the large chamber, his eyes fixed on the queen’s offense. 

The queen follows his movement as Jinyoung dodges the attacks she flings onto him but she keeps on missing. Her powers weakening with each blow and her energy was quickly dwindling. Jinyoung knew from the way his finger tips tingle what he had to do. It was time. It was finally time.

Jinyoung’s ears perked to the pants of exhaustion from the queen after the last of her energy was spent on a weak blow that missed Jinyoung completely. Jinyoung roots himself to the cold ground and allows his rage to fuel his energy as he lifts his hands and focused on the buzz of his gift within him. Within seconds, dark green vines grew from between the bricks of the floor underneath the queen, shifting the structure of the castle ground, breaking it. Jinyoung could see the queen try to escape but she was too slow and weak. The vines catch her wrist and wrap around her body, holding her in place despite her struggle.

 “You are magic!” she gulped. Her eyes set on his face, a weak glare setting itself in.

“There are plenty of things you don’t know about me” Jinyoung assured smugly.

“You sure seem cocky for a girl who could move trees” her eyes mocking staring at him, once again making Jinyoung feel nothing but worthless. All the times she had put him down surging back at him. All the times he had regretted not telling his father of her abuse towards him. All the times she had stepped on him and Jinyoung had done nothing, making his nails dig into the inside of him palm. Jinyoung was fuming.

“It’s time you paid for all the innocent people you have hurt” Jinyoung said between gritted teeth, the palm of his hands slowly moving in a circular motion making the vines grow to wrap itself around the queen’s neck. Her eyes fixed on his face as if she was concentrating.

You” she says breathlessly as the vines slowly tightened around her slander neck, eyes now squinting his every feature.

Skin as white as snow…” her voice only small murmurs but it cracks through Jinyoung’s façade like a dagger.

Lips as red as blood…” Jinyoung could feel his focus slipping, as her voice filled his hearing, slithering on his skin like an ice cold snake.

Hair dark as night…” she hissed. “I know who you are”

Jinyoung gulped feeling his body freeze under her gaze. She knew. Yugyeom had warned him about how the protection spell would break if anyone knew. She knew and the spell was broken.

Jinyoung could really die tonight.

“Park Jinyoung, the fallen PRINCE!” she growled, words laced with fury, an evil laugh followed. “Finally, the princess your mother wanted you to be I see”

Jinyoung falls back, taking slow steps towards the exit, not daring to face away from the queen and desperately trying to control the vines  he had been manipulating around her body but failing. This was it.

“You thought this would work? Coming into my house and playing me like a fool?” the queen said as she easily shrugged off the now dead brown vines on her body. “Well, you messed with the wrong witch”

She opens her palm and raises it into the air. Flashes of red light temporarily blind Jinyoung and a red apple appears dancing in her invisible grip.

“Your father loved apples. He said it reminded him of your mother. Don’t you love apples?”

Jinyoung shakes head, his hands shakily trying to call for some assistance. He loved apples but there was no need to tell truth to the enemy.

“Well, you are going to love it now.”

He watches the queen murmur under her breath and lightly blows on the red apple, making it fly to Jinyoung’s eye level. Jinyoung lets it dance in front of his eyes, the glow of its skin hypnotizing him. It looked delicious and every fiber of Jinyoung’s body wanted to just puncture his teeth through the perfect skin.

“Go on, take a bite” she urges, catching Jinyoung’s attention. Jinyoung turned her way and saw the reflection of Snow White in the queen’s mirror. After all this, nothing had changed. He was still a girl who could do nothing. He couldn’t avenge his parents or his people. He couldn’t claim what was rightfully his. He couldn’t even look in the mirror and see Jinyoung, his true self, rather than a description of what his father wanted him to be. Nothing has changed and yet he was going to meet his demise.

The apple then flies in front of him again and he grabs it in his hand. Don’t eat it.

He thought of the grave look that flashed across Yugyeom’s face when he told him about his vision. Yugyeom had probably seen this coming. Yugyeom had probably seen him die. Don’t.

He could feel his heart fill with sorrow and his eyes water with tears as his lifts the apple to his mouth. It looks perfect, the red matching his lips. It was almost as if he was destined to bite through it. It was almost as if he was made to fall in love with a perfect apple.

Goodbye world.

Goodbye Mark.

He takes a bite.


 

 

 

 

a/n: is it getting too complicated? did you get what i mean? ah the questions i want to ask my readers. tell me if you don't get anything! happy to answer questions.
anyway, title is a lyric from Kids of Yesterday - MCR.
also this came in a month late. you guys must hate me ;~; i'm sorry. working on the next one as we speak, hopefully it won't take another month *fingers crossed*
ask me on tumblr or mention me on twitter @gotsichi7