2

Marriage Material

It was a week after the two fumed over Kim Jongin’s childish behaviour and Hanuel’s refusal to give him Minah’s number that Minah returned to her workplace in the elementary school where she taught several grades.

 

The school had a middle school as well as a high school level within the same campus and she nearly bumped into some of the high school students as she sleepily made her way in and smiled as they greeted her. There were to be some new recruits joining in today thus the teachers had been called in for a meeting to introduce the new teachers. Minah also noted that there was to be a new student in her class transferring in from China and she knew the day was going to be long.

 

Heading into the teachers’ lounge she dropped her bag on her seat and pulled out the papers she needed to give out for the day. She turned when one of the grade six class teachers, Soojung, pushed the lounge door open and grinned at her as she grinned back.

“Apparently the new recruit is some really good looking fellow.” she said, dumping her bag on the chair as the crowd of teachers slowly started piling into the room.

“Any idea about him?” Minah whispered back as Soojung shrugged.

“Apparently he’s teaching them dance as a part of their physical activities.” Soojung whispered back as the door finally flew open and the principal of the elementary school walked in followed closely by someone who made Minah’s jaw drop. Kim Jongin had to duck when he walked past the door frame and entered the room turning around to meet her eyes with a soft smile.

“Damn.” Minah vaguely heard Soojung mumbled as she gaped at Jongin who was still smiling at her. She snapped out of the daze quickly and picked up her material for the day and headed towards the crowd of people the Principal was addressing.

“This is Kim Jongin, he will be teaching dance to the children. Please be kind to him. Kim Minah, will you show him around the school? I hear you both went to college together?”

Minah froze as she felt all eyes on her, she blinked in response as Jongin’s face swam in front of her before she cleared “I apologize, I have a new student in my class and will be focussing on making her comfortable in the new environment. If it is possible for someone else…” she saw the smile on Jongin’s face drop.

“I’ll do it!” Soojung chirped as Minah nodded, bowed and left the room sensing everyone else dispersing and following her out. Soojung had sufficiently held Jongin back from following Minah out as the latter made her way to her classroom which was in the other end of the building with between grades two and three. She spotted a man man standing outside the classroom with a child and assumed this was the new student.

“Zhang Shuang?” she called out and the man turned to face her and Minah’s eyes widened at how young he looked. His dimples peeked through even with the anxiety that was evident on his face, he extended his hand in greeting as Minah shook it as he introduced himself as Zhang Yixing, Shuang’s father.

“She has not been in Korea for too long so her skills in the language are not too strong. Neither has she been parted from me for very long either. But she is a good child, I hope she doesn’t cause too much trouble.” he rambled looking more and more flustered as Minah smiled.

“Please do not worry about Shuang, she will pick up on the language quickly and I will make sure she is comfortable in every way. I’m sure she will make good friends in the class, they are all sweet and welcoming.” Minah replied watching Yixing visibly relax. She let him say goodbye to his daughter and wondered what lucky woman had married this attractive and sweet man before leading Shuang into the classroom.

As she had expected, the day had been long and exhausting with all the new material to be covered and ensuring that Shuang was still keeping up. Her other classes had also begun where she taught English to grade five and now finally at the end of the day, she sat in the teachers’ lounge with all her things on the table waiting to be packed away into her bag.

“Hey Minah.” the voice was all too familiar as Mianh nearly dropped the book in her hand as she sighed and turned to Jongin.

“Yes Kim Jongin?”

“Wow, talk about being familiar.” he laughed as Minah turned back to her things and began packing them into her bag.

“What do you want?” she grumbled, choosing not to look at the man who was now leaning against her desk.

“I want to marry you.”


Feedback is loved :)