The Missing Link

Day By Day

*2 week ago*

The cold drops of rain keeps on falling hard outside. The rain, along with the blowing wind, makes the surrounding nostalgic and sentimental as the girl watched the pouring rain fall below on the ground. She stood out at the huge window while spacing out.

“Tiff,” The other girl whose lying on the big bed called out, “what are you doing there?” The latter just smiled and shook her head.

“Nothing much, I’m just watching the scenes outside. Why, do you need something, are you hungry?” She asked. The girl on the bed sat down and shrugged.

“I don’t know, I just woke up because I didn’t felt your presence here.” The girl pouted.

“Aw you missed me?” The latter cutely nodded her head. “Okay fine, I’m going back.” She, then, sat beside the girl and lean on the latter’s shoulder.

“Geez, it’s so cold, should we turn off the air conditioner?” She asked.

“Tiff, the air conditioner is already shut off. Come here, move a little closer.” Obediently, Tiffany followed as the latter wrapped her arms around her.

“Do you feel much better now?” Tiffany smiled and nodded. “Yeah, thanks Jess.” Then, they stayed like that for a while. Silent but not awkward and after a few silent minutes, Jessica, whose beside Tiffany, decided to broke the ice.

“Tiff,” She spoke, “can I ask you a question?” As Tiffany heard that, she felt that déjà vu feeling and giggled.

“Jess, why do you always ask for permission, aren’t you asking me already? Just go ahead.” Jessica pouted while she grabbed Tiffany’s hand and observed at it cautiously.

“So, do you know why our fingers have distances towards each other?” She asked. Tiffany raised her head and looked at Jessica whose still examining her hand.

“Why ask about things like that?” She asked back.

“Just try to answer my question, Tiff.” She gave it a shot then she thought for a while but she gave up after a minute of trying.

“Fine, I give up, now tell me the answer.” Jessica held her hand and touched her fingers one by one.

“You see these gaps? These are meant to be filled by another hand that is willing to fill up all the distances in your hand each and every day, just like this.” After saying that, Jessica intertwined her fingers at Tiffany with a proud smile on her face. “Oh look, it seems like your hands fits mine perfectly, doesn’t it?” Tiffany looks at Jessica while giggling.

“You know what, I don’t know if that answer is real or you just want to hold my hand.” She teased

“Hey, it’s real and,” Jessica paused for a while, “well, of course I also want to hold your hand because who doesn’t want it, right?” Tiffany put a smirk on her face while responding. “See what I mean?” then, she leaned at her shoulders. With that, they became quiet again. Before Jessica could break the silence again, Tiffany already started to speak.

“Jessi.” She spoke as the latter hum as a reply. “Do you think you can imagine living a day without me?” She asked, causing the latter to look at her.

“Why do you ask?” Jessica asked back and she shrugged with her response. “I don’t know, just try to answer my question.” Jessica thought for a little while.

“Living a day without you? I think I can’t.” She answered. “Living a life without you in it is like living without air, the thought itself suffocates me.” Tiffany just frowned by hearing that. Jessica looked at her in confusion.

“Hey, why are you frowning? You look so disappointed, did I said something wrong?” But Tiffany shook her head with a sigh.

“Don’t mind me. It’s just that… nothing. I’m just tired and all.” Tiffany lied on the bed and patted the space between them. “Let’s just go back to sleep, can we?” Jessica nodded in agreement.

“Yeah, good idea, I also want to sleep more.” Jessica affirmed as she followed Tiffany, also laying her body beside hers. While she imitated Tiffany, she heard a chuckle from her.

“Of course, you’ll like it because that’s the only thing that you wanted to do.” Tiffany stated and Jessica pouted with her response.

“Yah, there’s another one that I really wanted so much, have you forgotten that one?” She asked in disappointment, forcing Tiffany to raise an eyebrow at her. “What is it then?” She asked back.

“You.” Jessica grinned at the latter who had just rolled her eyes at her.

“Oh what a sweet talker.” She mumbled in disbelief.

“But you love this sweet talker, am I right?” Jessica asked, but her tone is in a teasing way.

“Yeah, of course I love this sweet talker of mine even though she’s very humorless and corny at times.” Because of that, Tiffany received a light playful slap on the shoulder from Jessica. “Hey it’s true though, I have a better sense of humor than you do.” She insisted.

“Fine,” Jessica acted as if she was offended, “I can live with that.” Then she back faced Tiffany and pretended to sleep.

“Aw, this baby was throwing tantrums again, what a cutie.” Tiffany, then, back hugged her tightly.

“Be quiet, I’m trying to sleep.” Jessica answered coldly.

“Come on Miss Sweet-talker, stop throwing tantrums at me, don’t worry miss, I’m yours already.” Immediately, Jessica faced her with a bright smile and hugged her back. “Oh, really?”

“Dummy, of course we are, It’s been a half decade, have you forgotten?” She asked.

“No, of course I know that. Those five years are very special to me but I mean is it’s just five year only. What I what to point out is that I want to spend decades and centuries with you.” Tiffany wanted to take it as a joke but she can hear the seriousness in the latter’s voice.

“You know what, let’s just sleep, can we?” She requested. And like what she wished, Jessica gave her a kiss on the forehead and slept in that position. It took Tiffany a few seconds before Tiffany realized that Jessica was already dozing off. She let out a heavy sigh. “Sorry Jessi.” She whispered to Jessica’s ear.

“I-I can’t even stay with you anymore.” She confessed. “I can’t do what you wanted to happen. I can't do things with you anymore.” She hugged her tightly.

“I wish I could stay longer than that but I can’t, sorry.”  She pursed her lip before saying something before crying silently at her lover’s arms.

“Jess, please learn to live your own life without me in it. I can’t teach you why, but please understand me first."

***

Jessica woke up while noticing something. It took her a few seconds to get in her senses then she now realized what she has been noticing.

Something’s missing. She thought. She looked around her room then it struck her.

Tiffany’s gone. She’s missing.

She stood up and went outside her room. She went downstairs wherein her living room and dining area, as well as her kitchen, can be found.

“Tiffany.” She called out. But no one answered. She checked out her bathrooms, two guest room and Krystal’s spare room but there were no signs of Tiffany’s whereabouts.

“Tiff, where are you?” She called out, now using a louder voice but unfortunately, she wasn’t able to receive a response in her silent condominium unit.

“Tiff, are you playing hide and seek with me?” She shouted while roaming her eyes at her living room. Again, no response. “Hey, I give up. I don’t-” before she could speak more, her eyes caught a white folded paper with a familiar hand-writing that says ‘To Jess who owns me.’

Knowing who wrote that, she grabbed the paper and then, she felt a little nervous which is a little weird.

Ignoring her anxiety, she opened the paper with her tensed hands and fingers.

Shaking, she read the writings, letter by letter, word by word, sentence by sentence, until she finished the whole thing until she crumpled it with her own hands.

Panting as she wiped her sweat on her face, she went down from the twenty-third floor of the condo to the ground floor.

Running with her bare feet, she ran outside as the rain dripping down on her.

The cold drops of rain keeps on falling hard outside. The rain, along with the blowing wind, makes the surrounding nostalgic and sentimental as the girl ran on the street with the pouring rain fall below on the ground. Running isn’t her forte but with everything that she read forced her to run even though she’s already out of breath.

“Tiff… Why… What are y-you… doing?” She incoherently whispered.

As the rain keeps on falling to the ground, Jessica can be seen running alone on the street, bare-footed and wet, her eyes are focused on the road that she's stepping at. A crumpled paper can be seen in her hands while she rushed along the road.

As she reached her destination, she stopped in front of an apartment to catch her breath. Finally, she stopped for a while. After a moment, she consecutively banged her hand through the door while calling out Tiffany’s name.

"Tiffany! Yah open the door, don't do this to me!" She shouted. Jessica called out and her voice nearly cracked because she stumbled on the ground. Cold and shivering, she wept silently while whispering a name that pains her heart even more.

Not far from where she was, Tiffany stood from afar with an umbrella in her hand.

"Please don't make it hard of me, Jessi." She whispered as she wipes those tears that can't stop running from her cheeks.

 


A mix of fluff and angst wouldn't be bad, right? Just want to tell you to ready your hearts up :) Belated Happy Valentines Day!

(And oh, by the way, the last part would be entitled as 'The Flowers and Letter')