The Heartache

Day By Day

 

It was nearly evening and the rain is still pouring hard outside. But noises from a unit on the 23rd floor of a condominium can be heard from the corridor.

"Hey Sica, stop drinking that! You had too much already!" Yuri grabbed Jessica's wrist while Jessica groans like a child.

"Aw, come on Yuri, just one more glass please?" Jessica pouted. Yuri tried to look away from Jessica's charms.

"Yah Yuri! Don't tell me that you'll fall of that?!" Sunny asked in disbelief.

"But, look at her Soonkyu, isn't she adorable? This is so rare to see, let me take a picture of this." Yuri replied while pinching Jessica's pouting face and she got her phone to capture the drunk woman. Sunny gave her a disgusted stare.

"Oh my gosh, you're so ridiculous! Yah, look at her! She's trying to get another glass of vodka, stop taking a picture of her and don't call me Soonkyu!" She flicked Yuri's forehead while the latter grabbed Jessica's drink with a pout on her face.

"Yah, Give me back my drink!" The drunk woman commanded while hitting Yuri. But she acted like no one was talking. Before they start a riot, Sooyoung barge in Jessica's house while catching her breath. And apparently, she got everyone's full attention.

"Yah is it true that Tiffany and Jessi-" She asked with catching her breath, but she was cut off by the drunk woman.

"Oh yes! We broke up already hahahahaha! Five years, five years were wasted and thrown by a lame letter. It was like a joke, hahahahaha what a stupid joke!" The drunk woman laughed crazily while tears are falling from the side of her eyes.

Sunny and Yuri glared at Sooyoung while giving an innocent glance. They're like having a conversation using their eyes.

"You stupid shikshin, you're just making it worse!" Sooyoung was almost melted by Sunny's glaring eyes.

"But it wasn't my fault that I was late! My stomach is grumbling so I need to eat, you know?" Sooyoung reasoned out with a whisper.

"But you're always hungry!!" The two almost shouted at the woman and she just whimpered.

"Break up... Ha. Ha. Ha. Ha. What a very stupid joke!!" Jessica hummed while playing with the glass with her drink. Her friends just gave her a sympathetic look. The three of them sighed in unison as they mumbled the hardship of taking care of a drunk Jessica Jung.

***

After they put Jessica to her bed, the three sat on the nearby couch to rest for a while.

"Unnies, can someone explain to me what happen-" The youngest was cut off when a crumpled paper hit her face straight and landed beside Yuri.

"Yah, what was that for?!" Sooyoung exclaimed.

"Just shut up and read that, shikshin! Keep your voice down, someone sleeping, okay?" Sunny hissed at the younger while she cursed quietly. Yuri picked up the crumpled paper next to her and opened it carefully.

After a moment, the paper is still not opened and Sooyoung looks at her impatiently while tapping her foot on the floor.

"Can you just make it faster? You're too slow, you know?" She mumbled.

"Will you just wait?! You're too impatient, I'm just being careful so that the paper won't be destroyed since it was wet a while ago because of the rain." Yuri explained with an irritated tone. Sooyoung just answered with a whatever-you-say look at Yuri.

A silent minute has passed and finally, the paper was completely not crumpled. Luckily, the handwriting, which is from Tiffany, is still readable so Yuri volunteered herself to read the letter. This is what the letter looks like.

 

Jessica,

            As you take a moment of reading this, I hope you take every word that I wrote here seriously. Lately, I've been making a decision about us and this decision - I think - will be the best for us, especially for you. You know how much I do care about you, you know that. That’s why I really need to do this.

            Right now, please bear with me. I need time for me to think about how things should go. I'm... ending this; I need to end what was going on between us. I know and I’m very sorry. This thing between us is not right anymore. It feels so wrong and inappropriate. Please let me be, I know everything's confusing and I can see that, someday, you'll be able understand me. But for now, I think that this will be the best and the right thing for us. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, please forgive me.

            For now, I want you to be courageous and independent without me beside you. I know you’re strong and I believe that you can do this.

Always do remember that I truly love you, and that's not a lie

I love you Jessi. I love you 'til I take my very last breath.

- Tiffany

 

After reading the letter, the three girls looked at the lying girl at the bed with pity. But the eldest of the three sharpen her eyes at the letter.

"Girls," Sunny said, "do you smell something different?" Sooyoung sniffed through the air.

"I smell nothing but the fried chicken outside and the pizza on the neighborhood."

"That's not what we meant!" The two girls said in unison.

"What I mean is there's something different to this letter." Sunny added. “Actually, this letter doesn’t sound like it was a goodbye letter to me.”

"Like what?" Sooyoung asked innocently.

‘Ugh, this girl is becoming too slow.’ Sunny sighed before continuing. "Like why Tiffany is saying I love you in a break-up letter than saying goodbye. I just don't get it." Sunny said.

"I noticed that too, this letter doesn't make any sense to be honest. Also, knowing these two girls, they're inseparable. I think there's a reason behind this." Yuri stated.

"Maybe we can call Tiffany and ask her about this rather guessing, right?" Sooyoung suggested.

"Oh finally, for the first time, you said something right!" Sunny mumbled while Yuri grabbed her bag.

"Wait, I'll call her right now." Yuri said while dialing Tiffany's number. After a few rings, the receiver is still not answering. Yuri and the two girls are becoming a little impatient not until the call was answered. Yuri pressed the loud speaker button to let Sunny and Sooyoung hear it.

"Hello, Yul?" A voice answered but the three girls knew that it's not Tiffany's. Even though it's not hers, they know who owns it.

"Taenggu," Yuri called, "Where's Fany?" Even though she's curious why Taeyeon answered the phone, she just kept shut.

"Oh, she's at my room upstairs, changing her clothes. But don't worry, she's about to go down here." Taeyeon, whose on the other line, answered.

"Is that so? Well then, I'll just wait for her." Yuri said. The three decided not to throw questions at Taeyeon and waited for Tiffany. After a minute, a weak hoarse voice spoke from the other line.

"Hello Yuri, are you still there?"

"Yeah, it's us. I'm with Soonkyu and Sooyoung." Yuri answered.

"S-so, why did you call me, is there something wrong?" the voice asked.

"Nothing's wrong, it's just that, we heard about it." Yuri replied, "We want to ask you."

"You see, we just want to hear your side, we know that there's a reason about it." Sunny added.

"O-oh, so you already knew that." bitterness can be heard from her tone. "Are you at her place right now?" She asked.

"Yeah, we're here." Sooyoung said.

"Is she okay? Is she hurt or something?" She asked worriedly. The three glanced at one another.

"Don't worry Tiffany," Sunny answered, "She's fine, just drunk and broken, and that’s all." Sooyoung continued.

"G-good to know that. By the way, about your question earlier, can you just come over here at Taeyeon's house? I don't think I can say it here, alone." Tiffany said.

"Okay, we'll be there within an hour." Yuri replied.

"Wait, you'll leave her there alone?"

"I think no one is coming but Jessica is a big girl already so yes. She'll be alone here" Sunny said.

"Will it be okay for her to be alone?"

"She's a strong girl; I know she'll be fine." Sooyoung answered.

"Is that so? Then I'll be waiting for you, take care."

"Okay, we'll be hanging up the phone, bye." Yuri ended the call and she looked at Sunny whose nodding her head.

"I knew it." Sunny spoke

"Knew what? Yuri and Sooyoung asked.

"Nothing, don't mind me. Let's just fix this drunk's house before we go." Sunny said.

***

"Ugh." The woman in bed moaned in pain while trying to sit straight without giving pain in her sore body. She glanced at the digital clock at her side table and 12:51 was flashing to its screen

"Ahh, w-what did just happened?!" She mumbled while massaging her temples. She tried to stand and walk in the kitchen to get a glass of water. After drinking water, she sat on the chair and placed the glass into the side table. There, she saw a worn-out paper that seems familiar to her.

She took the paper and read it. But before she could finish reading the first line, she regretted the idea of taking it on the first place and threw it far from her.

"I-I thought that was but a nightmare." She muttered. Unconsciously, tears fell from her eyes again. She cried there for a few minutes, not until somebody called her. She reached out for her phone and saw that the caller was from Sunny so she answered it right away.

"H-hello." She greeted, not minding her voice became wavy and hoarse.

"Oh Sica, h-hey." Sunny said. Jessica noticed that, like her voice, Sunny's voice was hoarse.

"Yeah it's me. By the way, why did you called? And what happened to your voice?" Jessica asked.

"M-my voice? D-don't mind me, I-I just finished a lot of dramatic movies yesterday s-so don't worry. I-I just called to check you i-if you're okay." Sunny replied with a chuckle.

"Is that so, I'm okay. Just a little hangover but it will soon disappear so don't bother yourself about me." Jessica assured her.

"That's good to hear. Take care of yourself okay? Don't you dare skip your lunch." Sunny reminded. This made Jessica smiled.

"Why are you being caring today, did you ate something good?" Jessica .

"Yah, I'm just worried about your health!" Sunny exclaimed seriously. Jessica was a little shocked by Sunny's sensitive reaction.

"Hey, take it easy. I'm just kidding. Don't worry; I'll eat lunch later on."

"It's just because... ah forget it! Just take care of yourself." Jessica smiled while hearing that.

"Okay, I get it." Jessica said. "So while I was asleep last night, where did you all went?"

"We went to, uhm, to Taeyeon's place." Sunny answered.

"Why didn't you wake me up?" Jessica frowned.

"B-because you're drunk, have you forgotten that? We don't want to disturb you so that's why."

"Okay fine, so where are you now?"

"I, I mean, we are, uhm, still here." Sunny hesitantly answered.

"Oh really, can I come over?" Jessica asked.

"No! No, you can't." Sunny rejected her as she frowned.

"B-But why not?"

"Because, just because no. You still have your hangover and it's not safe for you to drive. So no, deal with it." Sunny reasoned out.

"Aww, then fetch me here, please?"

"N-no is a no and that's final, I'm ending the call, bye." Sunny ended the call before Jessica could protest. She lay on the couch with a frowny face and spaced out until she fell asleep again.

***

"Yul-ah, come on! I need some company here. It's been a week since I last saw you. Let's go out!" The voice on the other line whined.

"Quiet down, Jung! Please just stay at your house and stop bothering me!" Yuri complained

"But almost everyone already rejected my invitation already, you're my last hope!" The voice exclaimed.

"Listen to me, Sica." Yuri called out. "For the past three nights, I wasn't able to take a nap. And this is my only chance to have a sleep. Now, if you excuse me, I'm gonna sleep now and just try inviting your sister or Yoong and Hyunnie instead."

“Look, have you forgotten that I can't invite Soojung, Yoona and Joohyun, they're all in California right now so you really are my last hope. Oh by the way, why weren't you able to take a sleep? Is there something wrong?"

"Oh right, I forgot. Well, I was at the hospital for four days becau-" Before she could finish, Jessica already reacted.

"What, you were hospitalized?!" Jessica asked.

"N-no, I said I was at the hospital, I didn't said that I was hospitalized, t-that's somebody else. I was the one who was looking after her." Yuri explained.

"Fine, I'll let you sleep then, but I'm gonna fetch you there by five, is that okay?" Jessica asked.

"Deal! Fine, just let me sleep right now, will you?" Yuri sighed in defeat.

"It's a deal then, no turning back okay? I'll be-"

"Yeah whatever, I'm going to sleep now, bye." And again, before Jessica could protest, Yuri ended the call.

"Ah, sleep at last." Yuri lay down on her bed and closed her eyes.

***

"Hey Yul." Hyoyeon shook Yuri who’s sleeping on the bed. Yuri hummed while stretching her arms.

"Jessica called me, she's looking for you." Hyoyeon said.

"Oh Sica, hmm, okay." Yuri said unconsciously as she lazily sat up.

"And by the way, she said that if you won't be out here any minute now, she'll kill you." Hyoyeon added. Just then, she realized something.

"Oh my gosh, Hyo. What time is it?" Yuri rushed and went straight to her closet.

"It's 5:15 in the evening, why?" Hyoyeon asked curiously.

"Aish, I'm a dead meat! Tell her to give me 20 minutes more." Yuri said.

"Well, she already ended our conversation. And I told her that I'm not home because I also rejected her request. So just move fast or she's skin you alive." Hyoyeon replied.

“Wow, thanks for reminding me, Hyo.” Yuri sarcastically said.

“Just move quickly, slowpoke!”

“Okay, okay stop reminding me. I know that already. By the way, thanks for waking me up.” Yuri said while running towards the bathroom.

After a half hour, Yuri is almost done fixing herself when she heard some continuous knocks on her door. She already knew who it was.

She grabbed her bag and some of her things on the table before going to the door. As she opened it a smile from Jessica greeted her.

“Oh hi Kwon Yuri, you’re such an early bird.” Jessica faked a smile.

“Y-yah, it’s not my intention to be late. I’m tired and all so just try to understand me.” Yuri defended.

“I do understand you but the fact that you made me wait here for almost two hours pisses me off. Nobody has ever done that to me. No one.” Jessica exclaimed. “You didn’t even make me enter your apartment.”

“Okay, I’m sorry for that.” Yuri apologized. “Now let’s go. Time is ticking fast.” Yuri grasped to Jessica’s wrist and pulled her somewhere.

“Ah I love this chocolate latte here. It’s so perfect!” Jessica complimented while blowing the hot air from the cup.

“Yep, this café will always be the best for me.” Yuri said. They drank their drinks silently. Jessica decided to start a conversation.

“So, why were you gone for a few days again?” She asked.

“Ugh, I was at the hospital.” Yuri weakly answered.

“Who was hospitalized?” Jessica asked. Yuri stopped from playing with her cup.

“You…You don’t know her.” She answered with her head down.

“Is that so?” Yuri nodded as an answer. Jessica found Yuri’s uneasiness very suspicious but she just ignored it. So she diverted the topic of their question.

“How about Taeyeon, do you know what happened to her? I haven’t heard anything about her since a few weeks ago. Do you know something?” Yuri didn’t answer her quickly. Instead, she just avoided Jessica’s gaze and looked outside. “I-I don’t know either.” She answered.

Just then, as Yuri looked outside and saw Sooyoung, and two other girls who seem familiar to her were about to approach the café. Her eyes widened as she return her gaze back to Jessica ‘Oh no, this is not good.’ She thought.

“Hey, what wrong? Your face looks like you’ve seen a ghost.” Jessica .

“Sica, I think we should go now.” Yuri suggested with seriousness on her face.

“Why should we, we’ve just arrived earlier, why do we have to go already?” Jessica said while frowning. As for Yuri, she kept on looking at Jessica’s back, which is the entrance of the café. At the entrance, the wind chime made a sound, informing the employees and customers that somebody has entered. That somebody was Sooyoung and the two girls entering the store, one by one.

“Hey Yul, yah what’s happening to you?” Jessica asked as she followed Yuri’s stare. She only recognized Sooyoung because the two other girls are back facing her.

“Oh wait, is that Sooyoung? I thought that shikshin has somewhere to go.” Jessica was about to stood up from her seat when Yuri stopped her.

“Sica, wait.” Yuri said while grabbing the latter’s wrist.

“What is it now?” Jessica asked. Yuri pursed her lips before answering.

“D-don’t go.” Yuri pleaded. “Why not? Why are you acting so strange?” Jessica asked suspiciously. Yuri, again, pursed her lips before giving a reply.

“B-because… Nothing, never mind me.” Yuri sighed. Instead of making an argument, Jessica just pulled her up and went to where Sooyoung was located.

“H-hey Sica, s-slow down.” Yuri requested, making Sooyoung gaze into their direction in shock, she eyed Yuri. ‘Oh my gosh, why are you here?!’ she screamed into her thoughts. It seems like Yuri understood Sooyoung’s gaze.

‘I-I’m sorry I wasn’t able to stop her.’ Yuri stared at her apologetically. Before Sooyoung could answer, Jessica already greeted her.

“Yah shikshin, I thought you’re about to go with someone else? Tell me, who are the reasons why did you ditched me?” Jessica kidded. Before Sooyoung could reply, the two girls with her faced her already, revealing Taeyeon and Tiffany’s face.

“Hey Soo, why aren’t you-“ Jessica stopped once she saw the two girls, Tiffany and Taeyeon, together with their fingers intertwined and that caught her attention. As the atmosphere became heavy, the two other girls, Yuri and Sooyoung was very tense and much pressured about what was about to happen.

“Whoa” After seeing them, that was the only word that escaped Jessica’s mouth

“S-Sica,” Taeyeon was about to speak but Jessica interrupted her.

“Long time no see.” She greeted but her eyes and emotions tell the opposite.

“Y-yeah,” Taeyeon awkwardly answered, “I didn’t expect to see you here.”

“Same,” Jessica spoke coldly, “I also didn’t know that I’ll see you two together, what’s the catch here?” The four girls became silent while averting their gaze at the latter.

“Come one, say it. Are you two officially together now?” Jessica’s voice became a little too loud, attracting some people’s attention around the café. The others decided to ignore them and avoided to join the dense situation.

“Jessi,” Tiffany called “please don’t make a scene here. Let’s talk about it somewhere el-“ Tiffany pleaded but the latter ignored her words.

“We’re already talking, Tiff! Why, are you afraid to let the world know about the two of you?” Before answering, Tiffany sighed in distress and bowed her head.

“Please Jess, stop.” She weakly requested. Jessica only exhaled to control her temper.

“Why are you stopping me?! Why can’t you just tell me the truth, did you cheated behind my back? Answer me” Jessica demanded, but instead of answering, she just kept shut.

“Speak to me,” Jessica ordered while grasping the latter’s wrist “did you broke up with me for the both of you to be together? Was that your plan all along, to end our relationship just because you already found someone else?” Jessica’s voice wavered in rage, frustration, disappointment, and other emotion that she’d been keeping for the past few days. Tiffany chose to keep quiet and listen to the girl’s rants.

“Was I not enough for you? Did you got sick of my attitude? Or was she better than me?” Then, her tears started to stream down her face. “I-is my love insufficient for you, tell me. D-did you really love me?” She shook the girl’s wrist and called her. “Tiff, please.”

After she heard her name, Tiffany raised her head, revealing her crying face to the latter, and she eyed her with sadness in her eyes. “What do you want from me?” Exhaustion appeared from Tiffany’s voice.

“The truth, Tiff.” Jessica answered. “I need the truth, why did you broke up with me, is it because of Taeng?” Again, she averted her eyes away from Jessica.

“Tiffany, tell me, now!” Jessica commanded. Slowly, Tiffany’s eyebrows collided as she looked at the older.

“Fine, yes. Yes, I cheated on you, I lied to you. Yes, I fell in love with someone else, and that’s Taeyeon. Now, what is it to you then? What more do you want to hear from me?!” After hearing those from Tiffany, Jessica’s grip to Tiffany’s wrist loosen and laughed bitterly.

“Wow, finally! At last, you admitted the truth, wow. Thank you for clarifying everything. Thank you for making me believed that everything we did and everything we had was real. I should have known that those years that we’re together was just a game. Thanks.” Jessica faked a smile while her tears were still flowing from her eyes.

“You should have told me that it’s my best friend that you love, not me. I didn’t knew that loving you would hurt me this bad b-but,” She paused and smiled at Tiffany “like I told you, you were and will always be worth a heartache.” After that, she wiped her tears and smiled again as she looked at Taeyeon and Tiffany.

“I hope you’ll be happy now, I-I” Jessica inhaled. She couldn’t believe she’ll say it. “I’m setting you free.” After she spoke those four painful words, she left the café, making Yuri follow her outside.

Sooyoung and Taeyeon were still in a state of shock about what just happened. Sooyoung checked Tiffany’s condition, and as expected, she really looks bad.

“Fany,” Taeyeon spoke. “This is not right anymore.” Unexpectedly, Tiffany smiled while she wiped her tears away.

“ No Tae, everything would be okay, don’t worry. I know she can do this.” She answered. “She should be.”

 


 

So, how was it, is this okay? (I didn't proofread this one so bear with me) I'll be dividing this fic into three (apparently, there's two more) so don't worry, there's still more to come :)