some are irreparable

the bitter cold

Baekhyun smiles as his last student of the day, Seungwan, leaves the vocal studio. She’s his favorite, which probably has something to do with how her sonorous voice evokes memories, full of smiling faces and loud laughter, from his past, reminding him of what he left.

The click of the door to the studio opening jolts Baekhyun from his thoughts. He glances up to see a man clad in a (expensive) suit standing in the doorway.

“Can I help you, sir?” Baekhyun asks politely.

“Hello, I am a representative for S.M. Entertainment. Is Mr. Byun Baekhyun available?”

“That’s me, sir.”

“Your presence is requested at a conference this afternoon. CEO Lee Soo Man would like to speak with you.”

Baekhyun considers pretending he’s busy but… it is only one in the afternoon. Despite what he wants to think, in reality, Baekhyun has plenty of time to “talk” with his former CEO. Baekhyun sighs, contemplating his decision.

“Alright,” Baekhyun says slowly. “ I am available today.”

“Excellent. We have provided a shuttle to you to the S.M. building.”

Although the drive isn’t much more than an hour, it feels like an eternity to Baekhyun, who spends the entire time feeling insecure and nervously fidgeting with his prosthetic, still hidden by his sweater.

Baekhyun sits back in the seat of the shuttle, staring forlornly out the window, as if watching a film of his past go by, right before his eyes. He regrets agreeing to meet with Lee Soo Man. There’s no reason to--Baekhyun is perfectly content teaching his young students at the studio, each of them aspiring to become a successful  idol like he once was. Baekhyun teaches not for the money, and not even because he enjoys singing, but because he sees himself in every one of his students--he sees the same eagerness, naivety  and ambition that once sparkled in his own eyes.

The sharp “ahem” of the representative clearing his throat pulls Baekhyun back to reality as they arrive in front of a building that Baekhyun has not seen for a very long time, and yet is all too familiar.

Baekhyun in a deep breath, emotionally bracing himself for certain people he hopes not to run into, and follows the representative in through the polished glass double doors. His hands start to tremble and Baekhyun suddenly feels very, very small and insignificant in the vast lobby. The representative leads Baekhyun to one of the elevators and they wait in an awkward silence, waiting for the ding! alerting them of an open elevator.

Baekhyun is told to wait in the sitting area (featuring expensive-looking white couches) outside the CEO’s office (according to the shiny, polished plaque positioned next to the door).

Baekhyun momentarily panics.

“Wait, but sir, I was under the impression this was a conference, not a one-on-one meeting?”


-----
hahahaha 
this clearly isn't finished oops