Sequel

Hear Me Out

Before Kyungsoo met Jongin he was the grumpy type; the antisocial one, who has only a few friends and likes it that way.

The first time he met Jongin wasn't on a sunny summer day, with birds chirping above them and the sunbeams lighting their faces. It was a rather ty day for Kyungsoo, who spilled his coffee on his way to the bus station and forgot his umbrella at home, the cause for his wet hair and soaked jacket. He was walking hurriedly to the bus station when the bus has just drove next to him, the water splashing in his direction from the puddles almost mocking him. He groans loudly as he watches the doors open and a tall, muscular guy walks in. "Hey!" he calls after him as he starts to run again. "Tell him to wait!" he doesn't really care at the moment about the weird glances he gets in response from passers by. The guy doesn't even turn his head as he smiles to the bus driver and hands him the cash.

 

Kyungsoo is shocked; how can someone be so rude and ignore someone who clearly needs his help (in some kind of way)?

But he has more important things to do right now before huffing to himself about some random douchebag, because he has to get onto this bus. He manages to catch it eventually, panting hard while taking out his card and putting it in the right place so the machine will scan it. Being a student can be nice sometimes, too.

He doesn't even understands his eyes are looking for the rude guy when their eyes suddenly meet. He has tanned skin which contrasts beautifully with his grey locks. He has almond eyes and he's really handsome. But Kyungsoo isn't someone to fall for looks only, and he frowns when the said male keeps staring at him in slight confusion, as if he can feel Kyungsoo has something to tell him.

And maybe it's stupid and childish, but Kyungsoo hates this kind of behavior, and the urge to say something about this situation just burns his insides as he strolls to the guy that's sitting alone in the middle of the bus.

"You know, I mostly don't do it, but it was extremely rude of you to ignore my call to hold the bus for me."

He stares at him for a few long moments, and then Kyungsoo can indicate a faint blush covering his cheeks. "Oh, I'm sorry." He bows his head. "I probably didn't notice." He smiles sweetly, and Kyungsoo feels like punching him.

"Are you kidding me? I yelled two times."

The smile fades away as his blush reddens. He gulps down and presses his lips uncomfortably. "I'm really sorry, I didn't notice you called me." he bows his head again.

"Nevermind. It's not important because I'm here eventually, but just be more aware of your surroundings and listen carefully."

He nods in response after a few more long moments. "Ah- yes. Excuse me, again." Kyungsoo can hear a slight pang of accent in his deep voice, but he doesn't stay long to find out what its origin is.

 

--

 

"I can't understand people like him. It was so ing rude. I barely got to this stupid bus." Kyungsoo huffs angrily as he and his bestfriend, Baekhyun, enter the cafeteria in one of Seoul's biggest universities.

"I bet he just didn't hear you, Soo. You're overreacting over nothing." Baekhyun tries to talk sense into his friend but the younger is stubborn as a rock.

"No, he was ing ignoring me! He didn't even turn his head. He talked to the bus driver like I was never calling him. I can't stand this kind of behavior, you know it."

"Ok, chill. He's not your boyfriend or something. Just forget it. What's important is that you got on this bus safely-"

"And apparently he's studying here! As if it's not enough. He was smiling at me when I talked to him-" his words are being cut off when the older's eyes go wide in shock.

"Wait, wait. You wanna tell me you talked to him?" Kyungsoo nods. "About this incident?" Another nod. "Soo, what the ? That's embarrassing!"

"I had to tell him something about this!" he folds his arms in protest. "Are you going to be as rude as him or listen to me?"

The older lets out a chuckle in response. "Continue, please."

"So, when I talked to him he literally smiled to me! Is he one of these people who doesn't get situations right or something? Who smiles when he's being scolded?"

"Done?"

"Yes."

"You're such a diva sometimes, Soo. Leave it. Maybe he was just in a bad mood or something."

The younger rolls his eyes as he pokes the food in his tray with a huff.

 

--

 

It's a week later when he sees the tall, tanned male again. He walks out of a class with another tall guy who Kyungsoo can identify as the captain of the basketball's team. He tries not to stare too hard as he walks in their direction to his next lesson; Literature, his favorite. There's a fair distance between them, and Kyungsoo can't lie about feeling relieved he's not too close to the rude guy who couldn't care less about him being late. Without noticing, his lips get pressed together in annoyance. He takes a small breath that gets hitched when he notices something flowing in the air right out of the due's direction in front of him. He crouches in front of the piece of paper and takes it. Kyungsoo knows it's non of his business, but the curiosity is too big for him as his fingers work on the piece of paper open.

 

Uh, hey, Jongin. I know it's a stupid way to do so but I really can't wait for the class to be over. Had a great time on our date. You forgot to take my phone number, so here it is. I'll be waiting for your call. And then there was a phone number.

 

Kyungsoo's cheeks flushes red in embarrassment when he realizes he just really hurt the other's privacy. He starts to jog after the two tall guys, contemplating on his way if to call him by his name and basically exposing himself on reading the note. "Hey!" he calls, and there's a bitter feeling of de ja vouz when the silvered hair male doesn't turn around, totally ignoring his calls.

Chanyeol is the one to turn around. He grabs supposedly Jongin's elbow and looks confusingly at Kyungsoo who's running towards them.

"Do you have a bad habit of ignoring people when they call you?" He pants out in clear annoyance.

The two males look at each other in a knowing look when the tanned one blushes in response. "Oh, it's you." he smiles again. "That's funny. I probably didn't hear you." his smile is so sweet and actually genuine and Kyungsoo wants to tear him up. He notices Chanyeol tightens his fingers around his elbow, but the tanned male ignores it. Or maybe it was just his imagination, because it was so brief.

What the is wrong with this guy? "Yeah, me again." he sighs. "Is this yours? I saw it falling from, well, your direction." He hands the piece of paper to the taller.

The confirmation about his name comes right after, when his cheeks flush crimson red and he nods hurriedly, shoving the paper into the back of his seat. "Oh, thank you." he nods stiffly, the smile is already gone.

"Sure." He presses his lips. There's an awkward silence. "Well, I'll be going now. See you around, I guess."

Jongin smiles in response. He's really pretty, Kyungsoo notes to himself. "See you around." He waves as Kyungsoo just nods in response and keeps walking to his class.

 

--

 

Chanyeol frowns the minute Kyungsoo's is out of the radius of hearing. "Why did you let him talk to you like that? Can't he see you're deaf?" he furrows his eyebrows in confusion, his eyes darting to the direction the short male walked to.

"Ah, I don't think he noticed." Jongin laughs. "It's amusing, to be honest. And look at him. He's cute."

"He's a jerk."

"Isn't he your crush's bestfriend or something? I think I saw him with, what's his name, Baekyun?"

"Baekhyun." Chanyeol corrects with a huff when he notices the younger's male playful smirk. "And yeah, he is. How can such an angle like Baekhyun be a friend of this jerk?"

"I bet he thinks I'm a jerk too." He laughs. "You know, with me 'ignoring' him twice and all."

"Twice? When was the first time?" he a confused eyebrow.

"About a week ago? I was getting on a bus which he ran to. Apparently, he called me so I'll ask the bus driver to wait for him." he presses his lips awkwardly. "I obviously didn't hear him. But I'm sure he's already over it." he shrugs it off with a smile.

Chanyeol only sighs in response.

 

--

 

"He literally ignored me again, Baek! You're stupid basketball captain had to grab his elbow so he'll notice me. That's ing rude, you know?" Kyungsoo frowns once he flops on his seat in the lecture hall. "I don't like this guy."

"Wow, chill. He probably heard music or something-"

"He didn't have earphones, and he was talking to Chanyeol."

"Maybe he didn't hear you. You said they were far from you."

"And Chanyeol did hear me? Come on, Baek, the little er ignores me. Does he know me from somewhere and he doesn't like me for something I did to him and forgot? Oh my god, do you think I slept with him-"

"You're not the hookups type, Soo."

"Ok, scratch that." he presses his lips. "So what is it? It drives me insane!" he calls in frustration.

Baekhyun is already cackling on the other side. "Why do you care so much? It sounds like you want him to notice you."

"That's basic manners we're talking about here, Baek. You can at least react when someone calls you."

"You literally yelled 'hey'. How does he supposed to know it's meant for him?"

"Are you with me or with this ?"

"I don't know about me, but you definitely sound on his team."

" you, Baekhyun."

"I'm waiting for Chanyeol, honey-" he hurries to hang up

He tries to fight back the blush when Jongin enters the class and smiles brightly at him, waving as if the didn't just talk.

"Hey! Are you learning Literature now too?"

Kyungsoo nods. "Uh, yeah."

He chuckles. The sound sounds cute. "That's so weird. Do you mind me sitting here?" he raises his eyebrows.

"Yeah, sure. I don't care." He looks away, hoping the taller will get the hint and stop talking to him, because he feels this weird mixture of feeling towards him and he doesn't like it.

"I'm Jongin, by the way." He suddenly extends his hand.

Kyungsoo fights back a groan. "Kyungsoo." he turns his head and shakes his hand politely. "And I already kn-" he cuts his own words when he realizes what he just said. His hand freezes and his eyes widen with Jongin's own.

"D-Did you read it?" he asks awkwardly.

Kyungsoo's hand falls and he hurries to take it to its original place, flushed at peering too much into someone's private life. "Sorry, I just- sorry." He realizes he doesn't really have something to say as an excuse.

Jongin's eyes are already in their regular size when he sighs and runs a hand through his hair. "Well, I guess it's ok." he says eventually and turns around.

The rest of the lesson the uncomfortable silence remains as is.

 

--

 

It's been two weeks since Kyungsoo had his first official conversation with Jongin, and he didn't talk to the taller man since then. Said man started sitting with him in Literature, the only class they shared together. He was quiet for most of the time, unless he needed a pen or asked him what the professor had said. As Kyungsoo thinks of it, the tanned boy asked him a lot of times what the professor has said. His eyes were trained on him as he scribbled notes in a messy handwriting, never detaching his eyes from the professor. Kyungsoo finds it a bit creepy, but maybe he was one of those students. He just shrugged it off at the time.

 

Kyungsoo is on his way to the cafeteria when he suddenly hears a weird call of something similar to his name. "Kyonghoo!" he can't catch the voice at first and match it to a familiar face, but then Jongin appears, clenching his forearm desperately. His eyes were terrified and he basically looked like he's running away. Kyungsoo was star struck, and not only because he just called him 'Kyonghoo'. "I-I know it's a weird ask to ask from you, but you're the only one I know here because Chanyeol-" he starts blabbering, and it's really weird for the older because he never even heard him talking so much.

"Ok, relax. What's wrong?" he tries to be as nice as he can, even with the death grip the younger has on his forearm. "For the start, why won't you let go of my arm? I think the blood stopped flowing there." He says and moves the latter's hands.

"Oh, sorry." Jongin returns after a few seconds of intense staring at his lips. What's wrong with this boy, really? "Can you please just do what I ask? I know it's weird, I'll explain it to you, I promise." He presses his lips anxiously.

"What do you want?" Kyungsoo asks in defeat. He hates to admit the stressed tone in his voice makes him a bit less tougher.

"Just hold me. Like this." He grabs his arm and wraps it around his waist. He steels a look from behind his back and cusses lowly. "I'm sorry for what's going to happen." He says and before Kyungsoo even gets the chance to ask what the is going on, he can feel a thumb on his lips and Jongin is leaning closer, eyes shut. His heart beats rapidly in his chest and he can feel the blush creeping to his cheeks when Jongin presses his lips over his thumb. He can feel the corners of his lips touching his own, but for his luck the thumb blocks most of his plump lips. He shuts his eyes maybe too strongly, and only when he hears the only another person's footsteps less and less louder he cracks an eye open and looks aside, watching an unfamiliar slumped figure in the distance. Only then he pushes the younger male by his chest. "Ok, what the was that about? Are you trying to make your ex jealous or something?"

Jongin's eyes are trained on his lips again, and he really hopes its not because he just half kissed him. Kyungsoo doesn't have any problem with gays, because he is himself (high school brought with it some ual identity crisis), but he does has a problem with people he doesn't know kissing him in the middle of a bright day. Ok, maybe not a bright day because the clouds are dark and heavy with droplets of rain, but you got the point. Plus, he doesn't know if Jongin is even gay, so it's really weird for him. "Don't think I'm homophobic or something, I'm not, but why did you kiss me and not a hot girl instead? I think your ex would be more jealous of her."

Jongin scrunches his nose in distaste. "Firstly, I don't see why would my supposed ex would be jealous over a hot girl more than you." Kyungsoo brushes off the half compliment. "Secondly, that's not my ex." He sighs. "Remember the note you found before Literature class like two weeks ago?" he raises a brow. Kyungsoo nods in response. "I went on a date with this guy, and he's sweet but I don't think it can work out. I thought the fact I declined his kiss at the end was a big enough hint for him to understand I don't want to go for another date, but he didn't get the message. And now he tries to talk me into going on another date."

"He hadn't left you from two weeks ago?"

The taller nods. "It's really annoying. And I don't have the heart to tell him I'm not interested in a more tough way. I don't want to hurt his feelings, but he's so annoying."

Kyungsoo presses his lips. "Well, I think he got the point now."

Jongin blushes. "I'm sorry for doing it. You don't know me well enough and it was-"

For the first time since he met the younger, Kyungsoo smiles at him. And it's genuine when he says, "It's ok, Jongin."

"Really? I'm really sorry, it's just that you're the only guy I saw here that I know enough to, well, kiss him."

"It's ok. It wasn't even a kiss, to be honest."

"Y-Yeah…"

"Don't worry about it. What do you say about we go to grab something to eat?" he raises his eyebrows suggestively.

"Sounds good." He smiles back, and Kyungsoo has to suppress his smile from widening.

 

--

 

One of Kyungsoo's favorite things to do in his free time is to watch his bestfriend embarrass himself next to his crush. And what a lovely coincidence it is when Kyungsoo and Jongin enter the cafeteria together in comfortable silence and head to his and Baekhyun's table. Chanyeol, being Jongin's bestfriend and also Baekhyun's crush, approaches the table with a confused attire. Kyungsoo suppresses another smile, this time to not expose his bestfriend's nervous nature around his crush. "Hey, Jongin." Chanyeol smiles at him weakly.

"Hey!" Jongin greets with a big smile. "Uh, Kyonghoo, this is Chanyeol, my friend." He can't miss the puzzled look on Baekhyun's face to the sound of his mispronounced name. He just lets the younger call him that, a bit amused with the fact.

"Yeah, I remember you." Chanyeol says and looks over at Baekhyun. "Hey, Baek." He smiles at him softly. "Long time didn't see."

The older male frowns. "Yeah, because your basketball is taking over your social life."

The giant laughs. "Sorry, I promised we'll go grab something to eat and it'll come true. I didn't forget." His smile is genuine, and Kyungsoo's heart strings move a little as he watches their small flirting session. "So, um, are you sitting here today?" he looks over at Jongin. Kyungsoo notices he talks a bit slower with him.

"Is it ok if Chanyeol will join us?" he looks at Kyungsoo and then at Baekhyun who nods enthusiastically.

"Sure." He hurries to answer.

Chanyeol chuckles to himself before taking a seat next to Baekhyun. The lunch break goes surprisingly well, and Kyungsoo starts to think maybe Jongin isn't such a dickhead like he thought.

 

When Baekhyun and Kyungsoo are doing their way to the choir practice they're having in less than half an hour, the older suddenly remembers how Jongin mispronounced his bestfriend's name. "Why did Jongin call you Kyunghoo?" he asks with a puzzled look in his eyes.

The older shrugs and smiles at the mention of his new name. "I don't know. He just called me like this a few times already, so I'm not correcting him. It's cute." He chuckles.

"Are you sure he gave you a nickname? Since when did you even start to talk to him? I never saw you too together."

Kyungsoo chuckles to himself. "Remember the dickhead I was pissed at for not stopping the bus for me?" Baekhyun nods. "Well, it's him."

Baekhyun's eyes widen. "Soo, oh my god."

"What? What's wrong?"

"Are you serious with me? You were angry at him for 'ignoring' you?" he raises his eyebrows.

"Well, yeah, it was pretty rude of him-"

"Soo, he's deaf." And then Kyungsoo stops in his place.

"What the ?"

"He's deaf. That's why he stares at your lips, you know, to read them. And it takes him a little longer to answer. And that's why he didn't hear you."

Kyungsoo wants to bury himself somewhere and never get out. , he's so stupid. "Oh my god, Baekhyun, why the are you telling me this just now? He's ing deaf and I- I thought he just ignored me and, oh my god I'm a . He probably thinks I'm the worst person on the world-"

"Hey, hey, you're overreacting here. Jongin isn't dumb. I think he understood you don't notice he's deaf." Baekhyun tries to cheer him up. "Plus, he calls you 'Kyonghoo'. I bet he'll react the same way when he'll find out your name isn't Kyonghoo." He chuckles a bit, and Kyungsoo can't really resist the smile tugging at his lips.

"I hope he doesn't see me as a jerk. From the little I talked to him he seems like a nice guy."

"Where did that come from? Isn't he a rude ?"

"Maybe I was wrong." He admits with red cheeks. "And he looks really good, you have to admit. But it's not that! He acted really nice on lunch, and I don't know, he's just cute. Can you stop looking at me like this?" he snaps as he notices Baekhyun's smirk.

"Well, well, would you look at that-"

"Shut the up, Byun." Kyungsoo hisses one last time before they enter the classroom.

He can't stop thinking about Jongin for the rest of the day.

 

--

 

Kyungsoo hasn't seen Jongin for two days, and he doesn't have a good feeling about it. Maybe it's just the stupid anxiety making him think Jongin doesn't want to talk to him, maybe he just has a busy schedule. Kyungsoo hopes it's the latter.

 

It's natural for him to smile when he finally sees Jongin exiting a classroom with Chanyeol. "Jongin!" he calls, and then he remembers the younger man can't hear him. Fortunately, Chanyeol heard him and so he stops both of them, tugging at Jongin's elbow lightly. "Hey," he tries his best not to look ridiculous.

The chuckle Jongin emits after a few seconds makes him feel dumb. "Hey," he says eventually. "I'm on my way to Literature class. Want to join us?" he suggests with a friendly smile.

Kyungsoo nods in response, his smile widens slowly as he takes his place on the other side of him.

"I'll see you later, Jongin, my class is on the other way." Chanyeol announces with a warm smile before ruffling his hair.

The younger pouts in response, and Kyungsoo can feel his heart jumping in his chest. "Sometimes he forgets I'm younger than him by a year only." Jongin sighs when Chanyeol is already gone.

Kyungsoo chuckles in return, observing his facial features. "You two are very close, huh?" he tries to talk a bit slower than usual, knowing Jongin will understand a bit better that way.

"Yeah." he answers. "I've met him when he was in his last year in high school. We had this kind of an immediate connection." He shrugs. "What about you and Baekhyun?"

"I've known him since we were in kindergarten, so I'm stuck with the idiot for a very long time already." He laughs.

"Oh, that's cool." After this remark they fall into comfortable silence.

Kyungsoo nibbles on his bottom lip for a few moments, contemplating whether he should expose himself or not. He taps on the younger's shoulder to get his attention, and when their eyes meet he tries to smile as much as he can in his stressed situation. "Baekhyun told me you're deaf." He says. Jongin just purses his lips as his eyes are trained on the older's. "Look, I'm really sorry about how I talked to you. I didn't know you actually didn't ignore me, and I'm ashamed I scolded you like that." he sighs once. He wants to look down, because Jongin's eyes are too fierce for him to look at. After a long pause he continues. "And after the last time you sat with us at our table, I realized that you're a really nice person." He can see Jongin's smile appears after a few seconds. "And I know it's weird for me to ask but I'd like to start over with you, maybe we could go grab a coffee together?" his cheeks are already crimson red when he finally looks up from the younger's shirt.

"Sounds good." Jongin says eventually.

Kyungsoo smiles as he takes his phone out and types his name. "By the way, It's Kyungsoo." he smiles widely when the younger's cheeks are being flushed with beautiful pink tint and his eyes widen in embarrassment.

From this day Kyungsoo started to learn how to be a better person for (and because of) Jongin, who now he can call his boyfriend.


Ok so I actually started writing this a month ago or so, but I got stuck and I'm working on a fanfic too so I forgot about this here. And then I decided I really want to write how these two met because it's funny (to me at least) and there's something charming, I guess. So here it is, I really hope you guys enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing.

Comments are always warmly welcomed! <3