One

Transparency
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Harsh, man. And then she stopped talking to you?”

“Yeah. I mean, what the heck. I played nice, I sat with her in all our classes together, even sought her out in their college fair. And she had this really confused look when I gave her that gift. I mean, didn’t she see all the signs?”

The two boys talked animatedly as they returned books from their cart to the library’s shelves. They laughed and joked around about the girl, not expecting the subject herself to appear as they rounded on the corner.

“Oh sh- Hi, Maven.”

Maven gave the two boys a steely look, but did not say anything. They glanced at the book she was clutching against her chest. Culture and Engagement of Companies, one of the boys groaned inwardly. They were in the Business section.

“Have you, I mean, how are you?” his friend asked pleasantly, trying to dissipate the atmosphere. She stared at him blankly. “I mean...well, have you been here long?”

Maven seemed to snap out of it, and glanced at them both, lips pursed. The boys couldn’t help but feel the chill as she nodded slightly and started to walk past them.

“Long enough.”

 

͠͠

 

Kyungsoo jumped slightly as Maven banged the plastic cups she took from the overhead shelf on the kitchen counter. He stopped whisking the fresh batch of cheese mixture to stare at her as she proceeded to wash the glasses angrily, plastic and sponge squeaking as she went.

“Uh...can I help you...?”

“NO.” Maven half-filled the glass with tap water and swirled it round; unfortunately, in her anger she spilled most of if around the sink, on herself, and on Kyungsoo.

“Watch it, oh,” Kyungsoo stepped back as a fresh wave of soapy droplets hit his face. “Dude, stop. You’re gonna get soap in the cheese.” But Maven paid no heed, so Kyungsoo nudged the cheese away and walked up to her.

“Maven.” He grabbed her shoulders and turned her towards him. “Leave. My. Cheese. Alone.”

Maven’s eyes snapped up to meet his, and scrunching up her face, sighed loudly. “Sorry.” After a beat, and looking remorseful, she added, “Are they ruined?”

Kyungsoo made a face. “The customers will live.”

“Shut up.” Maven punched his arm, one hand still holding a glass. She chuckled slightly and Kyungsoo grinned. He took the glass off her hand and set it on the countertop. He then went back to his station and inspected his work.

“What has gotten you annoyed this time?” He asked as he turned the mix over and over to check for soap suds. Fortunately, it didn’t seem to have been affected.

Maven leaned sideways on the counter looking at him. “That boy I’ve been telling you about.”

“Ah, necklace boy? What’s your problem?” Kyungsoo nodded and made his way to the small fridge, sticking the new mix in with the others. He turned around as he shut the door of the refrigerator to see Maven twisting her face in a mixture of annoyance, embarrassment, and frustration.

“I heard him talking to a friend about me. Like how he show

Please log in to read the full chapter