FrozenTears |★| A Thousand Words Too Short

♣ ♦ One Last Silent Kiss |★| Chunjoe One-shot Request Shop ♠ ♥ {HIATUS}

A/N: I normally save my author notes for afterwards, but for this short I just had a few notes for before the story. Firstly, this one-shot wasn't requested, hence my username is the one in the title. I was listening to this song that I hadn't heard in a while and I suddenly got this idea, so I'm quickly writing it up now. If possible, you should listen to the song while reading it (Sorry to all the readers on their phones). It's not necessary but I think it's a nice effect. Here's the link. One Way- A Thousand Words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO74jNT_sZo


Sitting down on the stool, I lifted the lid of the piano to reveal its neglected, slightly dusty keys. I ran my fingers along the ivory and ebony keys, gently caressing them. I switched on the nearby dim lamp to give myself a little bit of light. The light emanated just enough light to create a faint glowing spotlight around the piano. I hadn't used this piano in such a long time. It was probably slightly out of tune by now. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It brought back too many old, forgotten memories. It reminded me too much, of you. So why, on this lonely night, did I find myself placing my hands on this forgotten memory? Maybe it was the gloomy dark skies that were pouring down with rain outside? Or maybe even the slightly oppressive and slowly suffocating heat? This night reminded me too much of our unspoken promise. On nights like these, I would you hold you in my arms and soothe you from the wrath of the outside world. You would whisper sweet words into my ear and together we would fall silently into deep slumber, still in each other's embrace. But you were no longer in the safety of my arms. It was this particular night that once again aroused my desperate desire to feel your warmth again. The desire was an unfamiliar feeling, as I had learnt to forget such emotions long ago. However, some of that desire must have stayed locked in my mind, as I was now vulnerable to it again. My mind was in a daze, my body out of control and I let that desire take over.

Lightly, I pressed down on one key. The sound echoed through the room. I pressed down a few more, testing the piano. When I was satisfied with the sound, I reached into the top drawer of the wooden filing cabinet and pulled out the first piece of sheet music and a tape recorder. I rested the tape recorder on the top of the piano and pressed the record button. I unconsciously knew which song I had pulled out as I had always kept 'that' song in the same place. Resting my hands on the starting position, I began to play.

I was still familiar with the piece. After all, I couldn't simply just forget the song that I had specifically written for you. I never considered myself as a singer, that was more in your territory, but the song wasn't complete without the lyrics. 

On my way back home
I'm slowly breaking down, just can't help it
Never once been better off without you
And I, I need you more than ever
Wanted to stay with you forever and ever
Oh, what am I gonna do?

Even though my voice definitely wasn't on par with the angelic nature of yours, the lyrics reminded me of your sound. As I sung, I imagined that you were the one that was singing. I imagined us back in that room when we were younger. I would play the piano and you would sing. We were the perfect combination. I still remember your smile from the day that I brought this song into our practice room. You loved the song immediately. We would practice it over and over again just so we could hear it. It was our song and our song alone. You were amazed at how I could come up with such saddening lyrics to go with such a sweet melody. We were so happy together in our own little world. What happened? Why did our perfect world break apart?

My tears are falling down
And why did we come out, today? (No no no)
I've come to find one thing and I'm sure
That you were mine just yesterday
But now you're my miles apart

Of course I still remember when we first met back in middle school. I was so engrossed in my music, I stayed in the practice rooms of the music building every lunch time. You were wandering around the school trying to find something to do when you heard me playing. Apparently my sound had piqued your interest. I didn't even notice you come in. You silently stood behind me, listening to me play. You only made your presence known when I had finished the song. You picked up my sheet music and scanned it. I remember your first words precisely.

"Why aren't you singing the lyrics?"

To which I replied, "because I can't sing."

You smiled and cleared your voice. "Then I'll sing for you. Can you play without the sheet music?"

I nodded without hesitation.

From then on, it just became routine. We would meet in the same practice room and just... enjoy each other's company. It was just me, you and the music and nothing could disturb our paradise.

I'm running out of time
Cause soon I gotta find
The ways of living with you, I'm losing my sight
Of path we walked through together
And baby tell me now
Does it have to be right now?
You're all that I've got, all I need
So I'm willing to say a thousand words put together, I love you
I love you.

 

Through our three years of high school, we had grew closer and closer. We were practically inseparable. Everyone never understood how we had gotten so close so quickly. They never thought that we would get along. Other than music, we didn't really have that much in common. But music was our secret, so every one was surprised at the sudden friendship.

That faithful day back at the practice room. We had agreed to stay back after school to work on a new song I was composing. You were late. I didn't think much about it. You were probably just catching up with your other friends. But suddenly the lights went out. The curtains of the practice room had been closed that day and there was no other light source. The room was pitch black. I heard the door creak open. The soft faint glow from a lighter approached me from the door. I couldn't see who was holding the lighter because they were holding it far to one side and I was always naturally a little blind in the dark. I could only see the sleeve of our school blazer and that was hardly a defining quality. The person approached me at the piano but stopped short. Before I could call out to this mysterious person, they had suddenly released the lighter, plunging the room into complete darkness. Simultaneously I felt the person press their lips against mine. They placed their hands on shoulders. I squirmed under their tight grip. As much as I was shocked, I strangely felt comfortable with the kiss. When I was released from the kiss, I saw the person light the lighter again. and lit a candle that they probably took out from the pocket. The light was brought to the person's face. That was when I discovered that it was you. Next thing I knew, we were kissing again. Our first kiss by candlelight.

 

Now you're gone far away
You're so far away from my heart
And I'm so afraid to lose you, baby
Cause I, I need you more than ever
Wanted to stay with you forever and ever
Oh what do I have to do, oh

We even survived university together. It was work that kept us apart. I got a job teaching music at Busan Arts University while you managed to secure a job in Seoul. I had to move down to Busan. I offered not reject the offer but you wouldn't let me. You wanted me to follow my dreams. We agreed to write letters and call each other frequently. For the first few months, it was all fine. I was settling into my new life in Busan well. Your job at Baekseok Arts University was also gong well. We were still happy. But our happiness didn't last very long. Your replies to my letters took longer and longer and eventually stopped completely. I would call your phone over and over but no one would pick up. Eventually, even your number was cancelled. You had changed your number without telling me. Was it something I did? Was it something I said? What created this huge divide between us? Did we fall out of love?

Our world had spun around
But why did we just stop, today? (No no no)
It's hard for me to say, cause I'm sure
That you were mine just yesterday
But now we're miles apart

It's been five years and I still haven't heard from you. I never got a single reply to the countless letters that I sent. Three years after moving to Busan, I was given a chance to visit Seoul for a holiday. Of course I was excited to see my family again, but I really just wanted to find you. I wanted to hold you in my arms again. I wanted to hear your voice. I wanted everything to be normal again. The taxi pulled up opposite your house. Stepping out, I looked over at your front door. You were just returning home from work. I had found you. I wanted to scream your name. But then, I saw her. She opened the door when you knocked and kissed you on the cheek. You smiled. You laughed. You returned a kiss to her cheek. You looked so happy. Without me. For all that time, I kept blaming myself. I just couldn't let you go. Standing there watching you betray me, I still couldn't let you go. As much as I wanted to hate you; as much as I wanted to forget you, I just couldn't do it. Even now, our incomplete melody lingers in my heart.

I'm running out of time
Cause soon I gotta find
The ways of living without you, I'm losing my sight
Of path we walked through together
And baby tell me how
Does it have to be right now?
You're all that I got, all I need
So I'm willing to say a thousand words put together, I love you

As the song finished, silence greeted the room. I stopped the recording, rewound it and took out the tape. Opening up the filing cabinet again, I pulled out a blank envelope. I walked to my study and sat down on the desk. The sun was starting to rise and sunlight started seeping in through the curtains. The rain had stopped but the dark clouds still remained in the sky. I wrapped the tape with some random bubble wrap that I found in my study in order to protect it. I scribbled your address onto the front of the envelope, slapped a stamp on it and slipped the tape inside, sealing it with a quick message that I quickly wrote on a scrap piece of paper.

I'm willing to say a thousand words put together, I love you.

I grabbed my long coat and walked out into the cool morning air. The nearest post box was just at the end of my street. The street was silent. I could hear each of my footsteps. The few people on the streets just walked past me without a second glance.  I felt oddly alone and hollow, almost invisible. At the post box, I held the envelope at the opening. I hesitated for a moment. I didn't even know if you still lived at the same address. I didn't know if you would even open the letter. I didn't know if you would listen to the tape. I didn't know if you would remember our song. I was so unsure about so many things. I hesitated. I hadn't written on a return address. 

I wasn't really expecting a reply. I just wanted you to know. Taking a deep breath, I pushed the envelope into the slot and I heard it land at the bottom of the box. The wind picked up a little. I wrapped my coat tighter around my body. Just for the next few moments, I stood in front of the post box, just staring at it. This was the end. You had left a long time ago, but I didn't want to finish our song. Now, our song had finally drawn to a close. The final note had been played. And yet I was standing there on the street, with tears streaming down my face, just wishing and hoping that my heart would reach you. 

You know I love you, right?
Can you hear me?
I know it's been so long
Oh so long
But if you're there
Here is where you belong


YAY! It's done! I hope you enjoyed this little short. It was just a random idea that I got when I couldn't sleep last night. I'll try my best to complete the other requests soon (SORRY ILOVEYOU_FOREVER AND BAMBOOBOMB!) I hope this makes up for the long wait?

I had to change the lyrics a tiny bit. The lyrics said "you were my girl" so I had to change it to "you were mine."

Please comment! Let me know what you think! Is my angst as good as my fluff? 
 

Edit: I just realised that I never mention ANY names in this at all and yet everyone seems to know who is who. :) I like that.