{Kaistal} Just Give Me A Reason

Lover's Paradise - A Collection Of Random One-shots

They were done with each other. One day before the dating news broke out, they broke up. Who would’ve thought that out of everyone, they would be the ones who broke up. Knowing each other since trainees, they’ve been through a lot together but maybe that was what caused them to grow apart.

Kai and Krystal. They both seem cold on the outside but are actually nice once you get to know them. Adding to that, their visuals are also stunning. What brought them together was when important people in their lives left. They connected with the feeling of being left behind.

Now, the fact that they aren’t able to see each other drove them apart. It added more stress to both of them, maybe that’s why they decided to break up. However, Dispatch had to release the pictures the day after. Without either of them being notified, SM already confirmed the dating news. What were they supposed to do now?

 

“You okay?” Suho asked Kai who was sitting on the couch in their dorm.

“About what?”

“Your dating news…” Suho replied.

“Yeah, I’m fine.”

“How about Krystal, have you checked in with her yet?” Suho questioned. That’s right, Kai hasn’t told anyone that they broke up. It was just yesterday and he himself is still processing it.

“I will, don’t worry.”

“Okay, just making sure.” With that, Suho left to go to his room leaving Kai alone on the couch. After what felt like hours, Kai took out his phone. When he typed in his password, he saw his wallpaper which was a picture of him and Krystal. He never once saw her smile as bright as her smile in that picture with him. That made him question, what went wrong?

 

Krystal was lying in bed in her apartment. Technically, it’s her’s and Jessica’s but Jessica usually is not around when she is there and vice versa. Last night, she could not get any sleep. Her heart still feels burdened. She thought that it was because of Kai. Finding out about Dispatch this morning was even worse. She was questioning whether or not they made the right decision.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a ding from her phone. A text message. This entire day, she had received texts from her members, close friends, and also her family but she hadn’t been in contact with him yet. When she grabbed her phone, she saw that it was indeed from him, from MyJongin. She still did not change his name yet.

 

Kai: Soojung?

She hesitated before typing.

Krystal: Yes?

Kai: Are you okay?

Krystal: I’m fine.

Kai: What should we do, about the confirmation?

Krystal: I’m not sure.

Kai: I think we should talk this out face-to-face. If that’s okay with you….

Krystal wasn’t sure if seeing each other was a good idea. But it’ll be the easiest way to sort their situation out. She let out a sigh before agreeing.

Krystal: Come over. I’m at the apartment.

Kai: I’ll be there in 20.

Krystal: Don’t get caught.

Kai: See you soon.

 

20 minutes later, she heard the doorbell ring. Krystal opened the door and saw Kai standing there. She turned around and walked in first. Once they were situated on the couch, Kai took off his cap and face mask.

“So… What should we do?” Kai hesitantly asked.

“What could we do?” Krystal pointed out.

“Nothing.” To that, Krystal nodded.

“That is true. You know how SM is. Once they’ve already made a decision, they know there is no turning back. I guess they thought it out and did what is to their liking,” Krystal stated while staring at the little dying plant on the table. It was one of Kai’s gift.

Noticing how Krystal had been staring off for 10 seconds now, Kai looked at where she was looking off to.

“Krys?” Kai was now looking back at her.

“Hmm?” Krystal was still spacing out.

“Look at me,” Kai commanded. Krystal snapped out of her trance and turned to look at him. “Can you tell me what went wrong? I thought that we were perfectly fine?”

“You know, it’s getting late now. I think you should go…” Krystal trailed off.

“Krys...We’ve known each other for so long. We’ve been friends for so long. Remember what we said since we started our relationship? I don’t get it, our relationship was going smoothly and then you suddenly called it. Just tell me….what went wrong?” Kai used his fingers to comb back his hair.

“I..I..” Krystal was speechless. Nothing went wrong, it wasn’t his fault she thought. She was the one who wanted to break up. Even after they broke up, she kept on questioning herself on why, why did she decide to break up with him. What he said was true and she can’t deny that.

“Krys, I feel like we need to communicate. You know how much I love you. And I know how much you love me.”

“Can we talk about this some other day, I’m tired.” With that, Krystal walked back to her room and left the frustrated Kai on the couch.

 

That was the last time they had a conversation in a while. Both of them were busier after so, to Krystal’s delight, they never had once seen each other. Krystal has been in China for her drama and Kai has been practicing. Except now he’s injured. And she knows.

“Sehun, it won’t make a difference,” Soojung replied through the phone.

“Yes, it will. Krys, what’s your relationship? I mean, ever since it’s been revealed to the public, you guys don’t seem close anymore. Kai’s been isolating himself away and not answering anything. He’s locked up in the practice room all day. Except he doesn’t have anything to do in there. Krys, can you please fix him,” Sehun persisted.

“I’m in China for the hundredth time! Have you tried Taemin?”

“Do you think I would be coming to you if I haven’t? Krys, he’s been so depressed. And even more now. I think you’re the only one that can help, since you were the one that broke him,” Sehun added the last part in a soft whisper.

Soojung actually wasn’t in China, she lied, she got back a week earlier. They were done filming, at least for now, and she didn’t have any reason to stay. She decided to go to Jongin, only because of Sehun’s beg. It was pretty late once she got to the practice room that Kai usually uses. The lights were still on.

She walked in to find Kai with his eyes shut, lying on the floor, and in the middle of the empty practice room.

“Kai…” He immediately opened his eyes after hearing her, her soft voice. He then felt a presence lie down beside him.

“Krys, what are you doing here?”

“I got back earlier than expected. And Sehun won’t stop whining.”

“I don’t get it, Soojung.”

“Get what?”

“How can you just act so normal, like nothing happened between us. Sooj, I don’t get you! I don’t get why!” Jongin exploded. “And now you just waltz in here like nothing happened.”

“I-” Soojung was speechless.

“Just give me a reason. Why you broke up with me,” he said softly after.

“I don’t think I can.”

“Why? You’ve changed, Krystal.”

“I just…” she trailed off.

“What? You can say it. At this point, I don’t think I can get anymore broken.”

Minutes passed full of awkward silence, until she finally spoke up.

“I don’t want to love you,” it was a whisper. When Kai turned his head to look at her, he can see tears starting to brim in the corners of her eyes.

“I just, I don’t want to love you anymore,” she added. With that, she left.

 

Ever since the meeting with Soojung, Kai had been gaining back his momentum. Everybody seemed to notice that, and yet no one has questioned what his and Soojung’s relationship is. s had realized that prying won’t help. Due to Exo’s comebacks and preparing for the concerts, Kai had busied himself, a lot. But now, the concerts were done, he had no more excuses. He had to face Krystal eventually. And Lay.

Shortly after their dating news broke out, Krystal had to leave for China to film her movie, Unexpected Love. And Lay was her co-star. He knew something was up and had been trying to talk with Kai but Kai refused. And now, Lay is most likely in China.

“Kai?”

“What, Sehun.” Exo were now in the studio preparing for their For Life album which is scheduled for December.

“You know what day it is, right?”

“Stop, just don’t even start.”

“But-”

“No, I’m serious.” Of course Kai knew what day it was, how can he forget? It was October 24th. Her birthday. “Leave me out.”

“But it’s a tradition,” Sehun whined.

“No. Sehun,” Kai became serious and that was when Sehun knew to stop. They had a tradition for Krystal’s birthday, it started back in the trainee days. They would give her a burrito, her favorite, stuffed with cucumbers, which she absolutely hates. And later, take her out.

It was now late and Kai decided to stay after. He was in his favorite practice room. Though he is better on the outside, he never healed on the inside. I don’t want to love you. That would always be repeated on and on in his head.

He wanted to ask her, why? Was he not good enough, to her, for her? Does she think he is someone who doesn’t deserve to be loved? The questions kept on swirling around in his head.

 

Krystal had managed to avoid Kai at all costs. She almost ran into him once at the company but ducked away just in time. She was now in Hawaii. She had been traveling a lot since SM doesn’t seem to want to give f(x) a comeback anytime soon. And she was fine with that because it meant that she can avoid Kai.

Everyone had been questioning her. And she had avoided it all. Even her sister couldn't get to her.

Today was one of the days that she couldn’t feel at ease. Nothing seemed right. She should enjoy herself, it’s Hawaii after all. But it was also his birthday. All of the memories poured back into her head. When he confessed his feelings, their first date, their first kiss. She had the urge to do something, wish him a happy birthday maybe, but it would be weird considering her last words to him. He didn’t wish her a happy birthday also.

She won’t lie, she did feel heavy disappointment when he never did anything for her birthday. She always thought that if they ever broke up, Kai would always stay her friend. But she was wrong. And she was glad, she doesn’t feel like she could ever view Kai as a friend again.

 

Kai saw it. It was a month after his birthday. And on Valentine’s day. “I Don’t Wanna Love You.” Does Krystal want to pour salt into an open wound? Oil into fire? He was at SM and so was she. And he knew perfectly where she was.

“Jung Soojung!” he slammed the door after opening. She turned around and saw his face boiling with anger. “How could you?”

“What?” she asked even though she had some clue on what it was about.

“I don’t want to love you. I don’t wanna love you? Are you clueless? You’ve known me for so long, have you ever thought of what I would feel? After you said those words? You knew perfectly well that I would not be fine. And for such a long time I thought that I had figured you out already. But all of a sudden….”

“All of a sudden,” Krystal started.

“Just, stop. I’m done,” Kai left after his rage. And Krystal let out a sigh.

 

June 1st. An insider reveals that Kai and Krystal have broken up. SM confirms Kai and Krystal have broken up. Krystal woke up to those headlines. She was spammed with texts and missed calls. None from Kai. The latest text was from Sehun, saying that Kai was at the building, if she wanted to go and find him. Mustering up her courage, she decided to.

“Why are you here?” Kai asked once he saw her enter the room in the reflection of the mirror.

“Well, I thought that we could talk.”

“Now? Shouldn’t you go and be a goddess?”

“I’m not needed today.”

“Isn’t that surprising.”

“Kai, cut the sass,” she demanded.

“Fine. But we don’t have anything to talk about. I thought that we were done.”

“You told SM, didn’t you?” she just realized.

“Yeah, why?”

“I’m too late, aren’t I?” When Kai looked at Soojung, his expression softened.

“What? You can say it,” he slowly approached her.

“I just…” she let out a deep breath.

“I’m listening,” he looked her in the eye.

“Last time, I realized something. And I wanted to say that all of a sudden,” she looked down at the ground. “All of a sudden I was scared. Of being loved by you. Scared of loving you. I didn’t know what to do, and what you said last time was true, you did figure me out and you are the only one who has me figured out. And I was scared of that.” Kai could see tears start to well in her eyes. “I thought that pushing you away would help but I was wrong, it didn’t. I still am in love with you. But I guess now I’m going to lose you.”

“Krys.” Krystal looked up and Kai wiped away her tears. Embarrassed, she looked back down. “Hey, look up,” he ordered, and she did.

“I never stopped,” he admitted.“I never stopped loving you.”

 


Finally, I got a Kaistal chapter up. I haven't been writing lately but I had Just Give Me A Reason stuck in my head and it clicked with this story so I powered through the last half of the story even though I hadn't touched it in a very long time. I'm not sure on what couple will be next but I am the farthest on Lundae.