Pre-Crash

Crash & Fall

Namjoo walked in to their dorm, exasperated and a tad heartbroken although they had encountered a lot of fights in the past. She saw Bomi huddled up in their couch, reading a book in her pajamas. It was 11 pm then and she’s probably reading herself to sleep. Namjoo smiled a little bit at the thought that Bomi’s been waiting for her.

Bomi looked up from her book to see the younger one, hovering above her. Namjoo had a solemn face on. It was hard to read so Bomi put her book down and pulled Namjoo to the couch. “How was the dinner? I lied my off to cover you up from Chorong.”

“Are you going to hate me if I tell you it went bad?” Namjoo slumped at the mere thought of their small fight. It really was disheartening. She always knew that Sungjae’s a snowflake of his own. She shouldn’t be surprised. She kept on replaying the scenario in her head on the cab back to the dorm. No matter how many times it played in her mind, it stung like a raw wound unable to heal.

“Maybe?” Bomi said then, laughed.

“C’mon, Bomi!” Namjoo felt faint. She couldn’t handle two heartbreaks in one day. If there’s something she had always been good at, it’s getting the approval of the older crowd. Chorong did dub her as a daughter–material.

“I’m kidding. How did it go, kid?” Bomi snuggled against Namjoo, trying to use intimacy as a healing pill for the troubled girl.

“It was horrible.” Namjoo wilted at Bomi’s touch, turning weak at the sudden comfort. She had wanted warmth all night long. Sungjae didn’t even give her a hug.

“I thought it was supposed to be a good night, with the wine and all. Heck, you even bought him a Rolex. What could possibly have gone wrong?”

“He’s going to be in a show, and I can’t support him with that decision.” Everything turned silent for Namjoo as she said the words out loud. Not saying it didn’t make the rejection real. But now, as she said it out loud, she’s no longer in denial. Sungjae really wanted that role and he can’t be bothered with her opposition. She should’ve just went along with the lie.

“Remember when Naeun came to us with bright eyes and a silly grin on her face, claiming she has big news? It was like that, Bomi.” Namjoo hasn’t even noticed that she was crying. She was so deep into the image of Sungjae grinning at her that she didn’t notice her tears.

“Oh my, kiddo. I’m sorry.” Bomi pulled the younger one into a hug, feeling a tad sorry for what Namjoo was feeling. If she could only absorb all her pain, she would.

“I thought he was going to make it official. I thought he finally had the guts to end our little play and take it up a notch. I’m so disappointed to find out he’s okay with us, just being friends with a mutual understanding. I thought I meant so much more to him. It’s been years, for crying out loud! But the only thing he cares about is his career.” Namjoo hated the way venom tasted in . She let it slip anyway. She has been so patient and understanding with him that almost all her friends call her a saint. It was difficult not to let it loose. All the years they spent together, it had always been Sungjae. But Namjoo was so in love that she didn’t notice him standing on her. She wanted to believe it’s just a phase. Maybe Sungjae wants to be well-off when he goes public. But that’s the thing with an unpredictable character, you always guess.

“Maybe he wants to be fully established when he finally asks you to be his girlfriend. You know him, he takes a lot of pride in all things he does. The guy’s kind of like a show off, but you know he’s a softie inside.” Bomi prodded a finger against Namjoo’s tummy, injecting a little optimism no matter how pathetic.

“So, I should just support him?”

“Of course. We’re all struggling. Maybe he just needs a little validation from his dream girl.” Bomi gave her biggest smile for the sake of Namjoo’s heart.

“Alright. I’ll call him.” Namjoo stood up from her seat and went into her room to call Sungjae.

As she closed the door behind her, Bomi released an exasperated sigh that could speak louder than any other words regarding her feelings for the young couple.