Pre-Crash

Crash & Fall

Namjoo sat quietly as she slowly processed the news of Sungjae getting involved with yet another woman. She tried hard not to tell envy or anger get into her. Sungjae is an actor. He acts with other women. He kisses them on screen without ever catching feelings for them. So, why was she getting so pumped up by the news? It’s just We Got Married, right?

“That’s great, then.” Namjoo looked up to see Sungjae who has turned more apprehensive the last few seconds. She took his hand and softly tugged it down to let him sit. Sungjae sat next to her, his knees touching hers. He raised his free hand to comb his fingers through her hair. It’s something he picked up after a few years together. The act always relaxed Namjoo and in that moment, it did. Namjoo slowly closed her eyes, and Sungjae swore he saw her face lighten.

“You’re not saying anything.” Sungjae said as he continued on running his fingers through Namjoo’s hair.

“I just said it’s great.” Namjoo kept her eyes closed, afraid that he could see through her.

“It’s ridiculous to get upset over this.” Sungjae’s hold on her hand tightened, eager to push his point.

“I’m not upset, okay?” Namjoo opened her eyes, looking at Sungjae with outmost sincerity that it even surprised herself. She wanted to believe her lie so badly that she became a manifestation of it.

“You are. Tell me why.” Sungjae took his hand off her hair and placed it on her other hand instead. He started to frown. Sungjae usually isn’t easily offended but with how Namjoo was reacting to possibly the biggest break of his career, it’s impossible not to.

“It’s We Got Married.” She said as if it justified her disappointment.  

“It’s only a show.” He spoke softly, careful not to break anything. He knew well that being aggressive with Namjoo wasn’t going to change anything. But it’s his career that they’re talking about. He couldn’t understand why she’s being so sensitive about it.

“Tell that to Naeun who stopped functioning two months after their segment ended.”

“What?” Sungjae stood up, surprised. Did Namjoo think he’s going to fall in love too?

“She fell in love, Sungjae. And I’m afraid that’ll happen to you too! I’m afraid that when you come back to me after the show, I won’t be good enough for you anymore.” Namjoo leaned on her knees, feeling like the walls were closing in on her. She thought the truth would eventually set her free. But why did it feel like it only made the situation worse?

“It’s all pretend.” Sungjae shrugged it off. His reaction to her outburst didn’t surprise her. It was almost a slap to her face.

“Sungjae, please. For once, please acknowledge that I’m scared and envious. Instead of me being with you on national television, there’s another chick.”

“You’re jealous.” He slowly said as if it just dawned on him. He smiled as he painted a jealous Namjoo in his head. Namjoo saw the look on his face and got even more disappointed. Sungjae really wasn’t taking her seriously. So she stood up, gathered all her stuff on her way to the door.

“I’m sorry. I can’t do this right now.” Namjoo gave him the gift she was supposed to reveal at the end of the night, but the sour atmosphere told her she’s not going to make it. It was supposed to be a romantic night. Big things were happening for the two of them. She wanted to celebrate that; Not the thought of him possibly falling in love with another girl.

“But you support me, right?” Sungjae called out, partly to make himself feel better about the situation. He wanted to at least get Namjoo’s opinion on it, no matter how bad it is.

“I’ll call you.” She said one last time before shutting the door.