Final

The boy with the umbrella

As soon as his eyes opens and a few blinks is made he looks up for a short time before averting his eyes around his surrounding. The first thing he notice is the fact that he is in a unknown room. It’s dark but not completely dark since a lamp far away from him is on and the curtains are almost closed, welcoming the moon’s light from the sun to come inside too. 

 

It’s weird, way too weird. Because just a few minutes ago he was with a boy taller than him, a boy holding an umbrella for him. It was also dark there and it was raining hard. Is it possible that that boy with the umbrella took him home? But why in the world is he breathing through a ventilator? His breathing began to increase and his chest was moving up and down in a hard pace and it was hurting him, his throat and the adrenaline could be felt. Fat drops of sweat was dripping down from his temples and forehead and his whole body was drained.

 

From being calm at the beginning he was now trashing around; pulling the IV’s out of his arms. Immediately he sat up and began get up because he was scared. He didn’t think of anything but he felt so lonely and almost as if someone had kidnapped him. 

 

He’s near the door when suddenly it slams wide open and several unfamiliar people in white rocks runs to him; carrying him back to the bed. The lights were on making his eyes sting. The two people holding him down on each side of him was trying to calm him down as he was moving around. Other people was busy with other stuff he didn’t care or was obvious of.

 

Then the person beside him to the left moved closer to him and whispered ”If you calm down we are going to tell you why you are here.” The old looking woman said in a soothing voice. Eventually he calmed down and by now his whole body was wet; even the bed.

 

Sensing that the boy was less tense the two nurses released the grips and sat down on a chair.

 

”Are you feeling okay?” The other nurse asked who seemed to be younger.

 

”Yes.” His voice was unexpectedly hoarse and very raspy. He wondered why he sounded like an old granny.

 

”Good. Now before you freak out more, depends on your reaction we are as calm as possible going to tell you what happened and why you are here.” She explained.

 

The boy nodded hesitantly.

 

The young woman continued, sometimes glancing at the other woman.

 

”You have been in a coma for 5 months due to a car accident.”

 

His eyes widened and he stilled for a moment. A car accident? How is it possible?

 

”Unfortunately…” The nurse looked at the elder for confirmation and they both looked down at the confused boy. ”You are the only one who survived. By unfortunately I mean that you lost your whole family…”

 

They waited for a reaction but the boy stared straight at the wall in front of him. He motioned her to go on and so she did.

 

”People found your whole family in smashed car under a strong rainy day at night. According to the ambulance your car had rolled around several times and crashed into trees and another car causing your family members to strain their backs and neck. And that resulted with them breaking their necks, having a sudden death.”

 

He swallowed so hard that he’s sure everyone could hear it.

 

”And…why did I survive?”

 

”Apparently you had a neck pillow around you and that helped your neck to be more stable than the others. The only thing you had to suffer from was your head being hit several times which made you unconscious.”

 

”That’s so unreal.”

 

”If you want we can leave you alone to think of it.”

 

He shook his head fast and looked at her with sad eyes. ”I don’t want to be left alone, it’s scary.”

 

She nodded and let out a heavy sigh. ”If it’s okay the doctors will check on you if you have any more damage from your coma.”

 

”It’s fine. Do whatever you want with me.” He mumbled.

 

The nurses got up and let the doctors take over. They looked more scarier but he paid no attention since he was still trying to process everything.

 

”Hi there, my name is doctor Smith and that’s Rosé. Do you by chance know what your name is?”

 

The question hit him hard as a stone straight to his face. His name? What’s his name, he can’t even remember that. He wants to say it but every time he opens his mouth nothing comes out.

 

Doctor Smith chuckles lightly and pats his head. ”Easy there, I know exactly what has happened to your poor brain.” The doctors keeps looking at a screen and hums to himself.

 

”He has memory loss.” Rosé said directly to Smith.


”You’re right and it looks quite bad but luckily your head is hard as a rock.” He playfully hit the boy’s head making him smile just a bit.

 

”If you think of something, anything you remember. Can you tell us what it is?”

 

The boy closes his eyes and it immediately shows that same boy with the umbrella. He quickly opens his eyes and his heart race a bit.

 

”What did you see?”

 

”A-a boy…I have seen him several times.” He thanks a nurse who gave him a glass of water to refresh his dry throat.

 

”A boy? When did you see him?”

 

”When I was sleeping or..when I was in a coma. We were in the same place and…” He closes his eyes again and relaxes a bit. ”I can’t really see his face that clear since it’s so dark and it’s raining. But somehow he’s always protecting me from the rain with a sky-blue umbrella. I can’t think of anything more, I’m sorry.” He slumps down into the duvet.

 

”It’s perfect, thanks young man. And by the way, your name is Do Kyungsoo.” Doctor Smith smiles when Kyungsoo’s eyes brightens. ”As weird as it may sound your body needs rest and I’m sure that you will by now be aware of your movements and possibly wake up many times.”

 

”There is water for you right beside the bed and if you need anything just press this button.” The young nurse says and smiles.

 

Kyungsoo nods and thanks everyone in the room.

 

When they had left and he was the only one in the empty dark room ( the lamp being off too ) he looks straight up breathing calmly.

 

As he thinks of his family being dead he chews on his lower lips harshly. The fact that they are all dead and he’s the only one who survived is surreal, but he will admit it. He doesn’t even remember them, he couldn’t feel that real pain. All he felt was the loneliness, that he might not have anyone to lean on or talk to because he can’t remember anything beside the boy from his dream. 

 

From all the thinking his eyes closes and he flies to the dreamland of his.

 

•••

 

The next morning Kyungsoo wakes up with a dizzy head and a blurry vision. He immediately touched the side of his head because it hurt a bit. This night was so weird, he couldn’t sleep properly and every time he wanted to sleep there was something that flashed in his head making him see that same scene with that boy. He still can’t understand who that boy is and why it’s always the same scene. And how can he remember it when he was in coma? Everything is spinning in his head - he doesn’t even know who he is himself.

 

A moment later of just looking up at the ceiling the same two doctors opened the door in a gentle manner making Kyungsoo look at them. They both smiled and greeted him as they headed towards his bed. ”How was your first night after being in coma Kyungsoo?” Doctor Smith asked as he looked at his head from a monitor.

 

”I don’t know…it felt so weird.” He starts.

 

”Weird? Can you explain please.”

 

”Whenever I wanted to sleep there was this scene I told you about. That same boy.”

 

Suddenly doctor Smith turned his whole body directed at Kyungsoo as the boy sat up to a more comfortable position. Sarah shifted a bit too but only because she was nervous.

 

”Kyungsoo. May I ask you something very important?”

 

”Of course. Anything will do Dr.Smith.” 

 

The said man smiled but it was already gone in a second.

 

”It’s the answers to that scene.”

 

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened just a bit. Was he finally going to get his questions answered?

 

”And I will also talk about your coma so you will understand more.”

 

The tiny boy hurried the doctor to just tell the answers so he can finally be calm.

 

”Right.” Doctor Smith took a deep breath. ”That boy you have sort of dreamt of or better said saw all the time is your boyfriend.” Before continuing he waited for Kyungsoo’s reaction and he did get what he expected. The boy stilled and didn’t move. His eyes was by now just staring at the wall in front of him; without moving his body.

 

”Go on.” He said with a blank expression.

 

Dr.Smith nodded and straighten his back. ”Your boyfriend’s name is Kai and he has been visiting you everyday when you were in coma. He used to tell you the same story in details. I believe that’s why you saw the same scene all the time, because you were imagining it, you heard his voice somehow. Maybe you aren’t that sure but it must have been that way.”

 

”W-where is he now?” Kyungsoo’s world stopped. His heart was already pumping so fast. Was he happy? Of course he was, but there was so many emotions that he didn’t know how to really react to the news.

 

”I haven’t told him you have waken up and I’ve also told him to not come since he should get some proper sleep. He had been staying with you all day, saying the same story all the time in hope for you too wake up.”

 

”I want to meet him, please.” Kyungsoo felt the urge to see his boyfriend. He doesn’t remember his face since it was dark. All he could remember was that his boyfriend had plump lips and that’s all. But now that Dr.Smith is talking about hearing a voice - Kyungsoo did actually here someone speaking, he remember how he tried to hear it more clearly but it didn’t work. The voice was way too soft and quiet that he couldn’t catch every word properly, but there was someone there who talked to him; he knew it.

 

”I will call him and tell everything. Sarah here will bring some light snacks for you and will check a bit on your body so that everything is fine.”

 

”Thank you so much.”

 

•••

 

20 minutes had passed after Sarah left the room, leaving Kyungsoo alone to prepare himself to meet a ”stranger” yet someone who had been in his whole life. It’s a bit scary to think he has a boyfriend and the more he think about it the more it hurts. He couldn’t even say his own name to the doctors! What about his age? Beside Kai, he have remembered some things. For example a dog he named as Snow was found on the gate just like that but after been taking care of the little dog the owner had picked him up which was a bit sad but at least the owner promised to be more careful. There was actually a lot of small things he remembers. But his boyfriend? He doesn’t know who he is and it disturbs him so much. The pit in his stomach is killing him inside, what should he say once they meet each other after 5 months of not having any contact?

 

The door opens and Kyungsoo doesn’t know what to do. He can already hear a soft ’ thank you ’ from someone unfamiliar. So the first thing that came to his mind was to close his eyes hard hoping that the person that came in fell for it.

 

But then a hand was placed on his cheek making him flinch a bit. 

 

”I know you are awake, you can’t fool me.” The voice was so strange, he had recognized it for a second but then it was just something unfamiliar to him. However he couldn’t help but open his eyes. The sight he was met made his heart swell from happiness, because the first thing he saw was those plump lips and that umbrella, that beautiful light blue color. It was then when he noticed it was raining outside.

 

”Do you remember me?” Kai asks while the other’s hair back.

 

”Yes.” Kyungsoo answered as he looked straight into Kai’s eyes. They were gorgeous and so brown he noticed. ”I might have fallen in love with you.” He blurts out, still not averting his eyes away.

 

Kai smiled fondly and kissed Kyungsoo’s cheek. ”And I have always loved you.”

 

”Say, why did you tell me the same story?” Now that Kyungsoo has the answers to his questions he wants to know the reason behind it.

 

”It was late on October 27th three years ago on a Sunday evening. I had taken you somewhere far away from your house because you had cried calling me on the phone.” Kai breathed heavily as he recalled back the sad yet the good memories.

 

”You told me with a shaky voice that you had came out to your family and they had looked down on you immediately. That’s why I took you to a park even though it was raining with force. With only one umbrella I held it above you.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded when that scene flashed in his head.

 

”We hadn’t started dating yet but we were best friends since I first met you when you was born. I’m 22 years old now and you are 19 now. Your birthday is today.”

 

”Woah.” Was all Kyungsoo could say.


”Yeah… Anyway back to our history.” Kai joked which made Kyungsoo chuckle a bit. ”It was that night when I confessed to you. I asked you to be my boyfriend and you had immediately said yes. It was also on your birthday.”

 

Kyungsoo began tearing up a bit. The fact that Kai was still in love with him despite being in coma for 5 months.

 

Seeing him tearing up Kai took his hand and held it gently. ”That’s why I told you the same story all the time because it meant so much to me and I hoped that you would listen to me and maybe have a chance to imagine things. I’m not really versed in coma, but I talked to you anyway.” Kai wiped the tears away from his boyfriend. ”And then came the worst news in my life, 5 months ago I got a call from a doctor telling me that you had been in a car accident with your whole family.”

 

”Until now I can’t believe you are alive and still looks the same.”

 

Kyungsoo scrunched his nose. ”Of course I look the same but I can’t imagine how badly I smell. Or how my breath must stink like rotten egg.”

 

Kai smiled sweetly. ”Who cares I’m still going to kiss you.” Without having any time to react properly Kyungsoo stared wide eyed at Kai as they connected their lips together. He couldn’t maintain his heart’s speed.

 

”Kai…”

 

”Hm?”

 

”I may have been in love with you before and I may have been your boyfriend too but…I believe this is love at first sight for me and…” Kyungsoo blushed a bit. ”May I ask you to be my boyfriend?”

 

Kai laughed and kissed his cheek. ”Yes!”