An Uninvited Guest

The Northern Border
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An Uninvited Guest

            When Ryeowook woke again, he found himself alone in the bed.  The light was shining in through the windows and the percolator was sitting on top of the wood burning stove, keeping the morning’s coffee warm.  Kyuhyun was not in the cabin, but there was a note sitting on the table and Ryeowook wrapped himself in one of the blankets and walked over to it, picking it up and reading Kyuhyun’s messy scrawl. 

 

Ryeong—

            I have left to go check on the trail and will be back in a few hours.  Would you please make some lunch for us?  I left you some bread, nut butter, an orange, and coffee.  If you need new clothes, just pick something of mine from the wardrobe. 

                                                                                                            Kyu

 

            Ryeowook walked over to the wardrobe sitting against the far wall and rummaged around for the smallest clothes he could find and managed to find some that wouldn’t fall off of him as he walked.  He’d have to quiz Kyuhyun about how he washed clothes later, but was fearful that it involved heating a bunch of water on the stovetop and scrubbing everything by hand.  He never realized what a luxury his washer and dryer were.  After changing and using the bathroom, Ryeowook ate some breakfast and then started to plan out lunch, which might very well take him an hour or two to make, since cooking on the wood burning stove hadn’t proved to be a very quick method. 

            Since Ryeowook had no distractions in the cabin, no television to watch or radio to listen to as he worked, his mind kept replaying the conversation he’d had with Kyuhyun the night before and the scene, early in the morning, when they were cuddled up together in the bed.  He found himself blushing, just thinking of it.

            It seemed obvious that Kyuhyun had told him about the agreement he’d made with Leeteuk so that Ryeowook would not get his hopes up about mating with Kyuhyun.  But that did not mean that the alpha felt nothing for him.  Then again, it didn’t guarantee that he did either.  But why would Kyuhyun cuddle up with him in bed if he had absolutely no interest in him? 

            Ryeowook found himself chopping the vegetables a little too violently and stopped for a moment, taking a deep breath.  Hadn’t he sensed a lot of affection coming from Kyuhyun?  Certainly there was more to it than brotherly fondness or friendship.  Ryeowook took another sip of the coffee and grimaced.  It was strong and somewhat bitter.  He doubted that stovetop coffee got much better, but he missed his drip coffee maker at home. 

            Just then, the distinct sound of the dog door opening and starting to swing back and forth could be heard.  Ryeowook’s heart began to beat a little faster, until he looked over and saw a large, muddy colored wolf.  Thankfully, he recognized the wolf immediately as one of their own clan, but it didn’t lessen the surprise of seeing someone other than Kyuhyun enter the cabin.

            “Shindong!”

            The large alpha changed into human form, which wasn’t the most attractive look for him.  At least, not without clothes on.  “Ryeowookie!  What are you doing here?”

            “I, ah…I was picking roots up north here when the snow began to fall and got stranded.”  It still seemed like the most believable lie to tell, even if Kyuhyun didn’t buy into it.  Of course, who knew what the older alpha was bound to believe.  Ryeowook reeked of Kyuhyun on him, after cuddling with him all night, but there wasn’t a hint of mating pheromones in the air.  They hadn’t done anything but sleep, after all, so even the older alpha would know that nothing had happened between them.  And, of course, it wasn’t that unheard of for clan members to sleep together…it just wasn’t normal for unmated alphas and omegas to do so.  Then again, the cabin only had one bed.

            “Oh, I see,” Shindong said, nodding.  He headed over to Kyuhyun’s wardrobe and opened a drawer at the bottom, taking out a large pair of sweatpants and a long sleeved shirt.  “Kyuhyunie always keeps clothes in here for me.”

            “I wish I could say the same,” Ryeowook said, pointing out the sleeves he had to roll up several times.  “What brings you over?”

            “I thought I’d check on the lad after the snowfall.  He usually stops by once in a while and hasn’t for the last few days, so I thought I ought to make sure he was still doing all right,” Shindong explained, pulling on his pants.  “My mate was getting a little anxious about it as well.  And she’s made some extra bread and cakes recently, which we were going to give to him when he came by next.”

            “That’s nice of you.  I think I might have just finished off his last loaf from you,” Ryeowook said.  “It was delicious.”

            “I’ll tell my mate you enjoyed it,” Shindong said, walking over to the table to see what Ryeowook was making.  “You making lunch?”

            Ryeowook nodded.  “I’m trying to make fried rice, but I’m not sure if I can get the temperature hot enough on the stovetop for it.  It may just end up being cooked vegetables in rice.  Guess we’ll see.  Would you like to stay for lunch?”

            Shindong nodded.  “I’ll take my chances that you’ll have at least moderate success.  Since you’re a wonderful cook, it should at least be edible enough.”

            “I appreciate your vote of confidence!” Ryeowook laughed.  “Would you like coffee?”

            “Did you make it or Kyuhyunie?”

            “Kyu.”

            Shindong shook his head.  “No, thanks.  That stuff will put hair on your chest…and my mate says I already have more than enough of it.”

            “It would be more palatable with cream,” Ryeowook agreed. 

            “If I’d known you were here, I’d have brought some for you.”

            At that point in time, the dog door swung open again and in came Kyuhyun this time, barking excitedly when he looked up and saw Shindong sitting at the table with Ryeowook.  Then he shifted form and walked over to the older alpha and bent down to hug him.  “How’s my favorite neighbor?”

            “Favorite neighbor?  I’m your only neighbor!” Shindong laughed, playfully shoving the younger away from him.  “Don’t hug me while you’re .  Ew!”

            Kyuhyun wrapped his arm around Shindong’s shoulder.  “What?  Does that bother you?”

            Shindong smacked him in the .  “Quit parading around without clothes in front of the poor omega.”

            Kyuhyun glanced over at Ryeowook and smirked.  “It doesn’t bother him.  He’s a nurse,” Kyuhyun explained, walking over to his wardrobe to pick out new clothes. 

            Ryeowook suddenly realized he’d been staring for far too long when Shindong turned back to look at him, shaking his head.  “Young unmated alphas think everyone wants to see them in all their glory.  Siwon is the same way, always looking

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter