Unspoken

The Northern Border
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Unspoken

            Kyuhyun tilted his head to the side as he looked over Ryeowook in wolf form for the first time.  You look like a pup! he teased.  You’re so small and fluffy!

            Ryeowook growled at him, pretending to be offended and then barked at him.  He pounced over to Kyuhyun and smacked into the side of him with his front paws. 

            Kyuhyun just laughed and nuzzled his throat.  Come on.  Let’s head out before it gets dark, he said, jumping through the dog door and heading outside.

            Ryeowook followed close behind, jumping up and through the door, then around the cabin to where the worst of the snow drifts were.  Kyuhyun was running through the snow and Ryeowook followed him.  As humans, they would have avoided getting too wet or cold, especially if they planned to be outside for any length of time, but in their wolf forms, they loved to play in the snow.  Their heavy fur kept them insulated against the worst of the cold and wetness.  In fact, if Ryeowook was going to be in his wolf form, he preferred to shift in the winter.  The fur was overbearingly hot in the summer months.

            Ryeowook jumped around in the snow and was suddenly tackled from behind and face planted into a soft pile of snow.  He quickly jumped up and began chasing after Kyuhyun, who was laughing to himself at catching the omega off guard. 

            You better not turn your back to me! Ryeowook warned, catching up to him and jumping up against him again. 

            I’m not worried, Kyuhyun said, still laughing.  Follow me.  We have a lot of ground to cover if you want to see it in daylight. 

            The two set off and headed east along the border, stopping every now and then so Kyuhyun could show Ryeowook something of interest.  As much as possible, Ryeowook tried to keep his mind on the scenery around them, as he’d never taken in so much of the area before, but he occasionally felt some of Kyuhyun’s stronger emotions as they ran.  Contentedness, happiness, excitement.  Kyuhyun was thirsty for a while until they ran into some open water, a stream that had not frozen yet for winter. 

            It’s possible that the waterfall hasn’t frozen yet either if this stream still has running water, Kyuhyun admitted.  We’re not far from the falls. 

            Even if it isn’t frozen, I would have wanted to see it.  I’ve never seen a waterfall before.

            You haven’t?

            Ryeowook lapped up more water from the stream.  No.  I’ve never been off the clan’s territory and I don’t come this far north very often.  Most of them think it’s too dangerous for omegas to be this close to the border.

            Most of the spring and summer, I’d agree.  But there aren’t many wolves wondering the area this time of the year.  It’s too cold.  If they are, they are starving and looking for food.  Although I wouldn’t go marking the area or anything.  We don’t need to attract unwanted attention.

            Ryeowook glanced over at him.  You tell me this after I drink a bunch of water?

            Kyuhyun laughed and nudged him to head south.  We’re headed south into the woods more, away from the border. 

            They headed south then, following the stream, which apparently fed into a larger one which turned into the falls.  Ryeowook was not used to running so far in wolf form and slowed down a little, which immediately made Kyuhyun panic.  His thoughts were a jumble of concern and fear, but Ryeowook quickly assured him that he was just a little tired and they slowed their pace.  They still managed to make it to the top of the falls before sunset and stopped to look down at the water, which was still unfrozen and roaring as it fell from the cliff and crashed into the pocket of water below, a cool mist flying up around them. 

            This is so beautiful!

            I know, Kyuhyun only said, nuzzling Ryeowook.  He was very affectionate, Ryeowook noticed, whenever he was in wolf form.  It’s even more beautiful to look at from the bottom.  Should we make our way down the hill?

            Yes!

            Kyuhyun led the lengthy way down, since they were standing on the top of a cliff and had to go around the area a bit to get safely down to the bottom of the waterfall, and it was clearly far easier to do in wolf form than it would have been in human form, as some of the areas were steep and slippery from the recent snowfall.  Kyuhyun kept looking back at him, making sure he was doing all right, a little concern in his thoughts.  And Ryeowook sensed a little something more, something close to affection or approval, as Kyuhyun watched him.  Unfortunately, Ryeowook was concentrating too hard on where he was going to give it much thought. 

            Finally, they reached the bottom and, as Kyuhyun had suggested, the view of the waterfall from the bottom was much more impressive and the noise was nearly deafening as the water crashed into the little pond below it. 

            Wow!

            Kyuhyun’s tail began to wag and Ryeowook could feel that the alpha was excited.  Do you like it?

            I do!  I wish I had a camera with so I could take pictures!

            And you would turn to human form and freeze your off just to get them? Kyuhyun asked, circling him. 

            Well…maybe I should come back when it’s warmer.

            Suddenly Ryeowook felt overwhelming emotions coming from the alpha.  Emotions of affection and hopefulness…perhaps even something stronger.  Could it be love?  Maybe you should, Kyuhyun only said, looking back up towards the falls.

            Wait…what?  Ryeowook tried to calm his thoughts.  He tried not to get excited that perhaps what he’d just felt coming from Kyuhyun was some interest for him…but he could not command his mind to obey him anymore when his heart was suddenly taking control and he knew that Kyuhyun could probably sense his confusion and excitement. 

            It’s fun to see when it’s frozen too though.  You should also see it then, but it would be hard to take pictures of it at that point, Kyuhyun admitted, teasing him.  You really would freeze then.

            Ryeowook was too overwhelmed to say anything.  His mind was reeling.  Could he have actually felt what he thought he felt?  Was it possible that Kyuhyun was in love with him as well?

            They stayed at the waterfall for a few more minutes and took drinks a little further down from the falls.  There was far less snow around there, as the water temperatures were still a little warmer than that of the air, and they walked around on the brown, brittle leaves covering the forest floor, drying off from their run, before climbing back up the hill again. 

            They took a different rou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter