-1-

Tutored to Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jongin was told that Ms. Lee has called for her right after her classes, she knew what to expect. It’s not like she is looking forward to the talk that she will have with the dance club advisor but she’s holding onto a small hope that they will be talking about something else other than what she has been dreading. Jongin has to climb down two flights down to get into the teachers’ lounge where she will be meeting the teacher. At the last second, she remembered to text Yixing that she will be quite late for their practice. He replied quickly with an okay, Jonginnie. Take your time and see you later.

She took a deep, calming breath before she knocked thrice out of courtesy and then opened the door slowly. She’s greeted with a few sets of sofa that are arranged neatly to sit almost half of their faculty members. There perched in one end is Ms. Lee, looking at her quite expectantly. Without any other choice, Jongin strode towards her with a small, shaky smile and greeted her with a polite bow.

“You called for me, Ms. Lee?”

Ms. Lee’s welcoming expression turned into a solemn one and Jongin knew she’s screwed.

“Jongin-ah, I’ve heard that you’ve failed three of your mid-term exams,” said girl tried not to flinch hard upon hearing the shameful fact. By no means is Jongin a genius but she’s quite above average and that is the reason why she has gotten her scholarship and was able to maintain it for two straight years until now. She has started quite stable this term but it only started to go downhill because of the annual intercity dance competition that she and the rest of the dance club competes in.

Jongin didn’t mean to have lesser time to study and even neglect some of her requirements. It’s just that the competition is demanding much of her focus and time, if she would want to lead the team to victory this time around. She could feel the pent-up frustration from her teammates when they failed the past two years and she promised to herself to put a stop to that when she was appointed as their leader.

But it seems like she can’t get the best of both worlds because she’s standing inside the teacher’s lounge with her scholarship on the line.

It’s just then that Jongin has realized the gravity of her actions. She might lose her scholarship and she can’t have that. Her scholarship is important to her because this is the reason why her mother has started to smile again after her father died four years ago. It’s not like she can’t support Jongin financially but Jongin made it her life’s mission to do things that would make her mom proud of her and give her an incentive for trying to continue living even though losing her husband has gotten her broken. She could feel tears prickling on her eyes as she remembered their dark times.

Ms. Lee smiled understandingly at her and pulled her to take the seat beside her. Jongin was then being hugged and she let herself to cry. She’s not with the teacher Ms. Lee anymore but she’s now with her Hyorin unnie, friend to her mom and one of the persons who gave her strength after losing her father unexpectedly.

“It’s going to be okay, Jongin-ah. You’re not going to lose your scholarship just yet. I’ve… I’ve set you up for tutoring sessions after the competition. There should still be enough time for you to catch up,” Hyorin assured her with gentle pats on her back. “I don’t want you giving up on dancing. It’s the one thing that keeps you going but rules are rules, dear. You need to work harder and I know you can do it.”

Jongin is grateful for Hyorin. If not for her, she wouldn’t have known what to do with her mother and herself. The elder didn’t hesitate to get out of her way for her and her mom. And the least that Jongin could do for her is to make her help worthwhile. She gave her a tight hug before letting go, all teary eyes and a small smile.

“Thank you, unnie. I—I’ll work hard, I promise.”

“Just don’t overwork yourself, Jongin-ah. You have the tendency to do everything independently but that won’t work all the time. If you need help, ask for it. Your teammates are good so trust their abilities and rely on them. Win together and win as one. Your grades took a blow but you are a smart girl; you can do this. But if it’s hard at times, I’m here if you need help beyond what your tutor could give you,” Hyorin started to smile as Jongin’s tears ceased.

“I understand, unnie. Thank you. Just… thank you. For being there for me and mom.”

“Don’t mention it, silly. I love you and your mom. And I’m sure your tutor will help you keep your scholarship. You’re going to meet him here on Monday after class, okay?”

It barely registered to Jongin that her tutor is a guy. She’s just happy that she’s still given a chance and this made her even more determined to not let all her hardwork and sacrifice go to waste.

“Okay, unnie.”

 

 

Jongin has forgotten to tell Ms. Lee that she has a scheduled meeting and practice with her teammates after her class the Monday following their talk. She has been prone to forgetfulness lately that she jumped when she heard her phone go off in front of her, displaying a dorky shot of Hyorin. She groaned inwardly and excused herself from the meeting. Thankfully, it’s more of refining points of their choreography so they could handle themselves for a little while.

“Jongin? Where are you?”

“I’m so sorry, unnie. I’m with the team right now. I kinda… uhm, forgot?”

Hyorin sighed from the other line. “Couldn’t you leave for a bit? Your tutor has took his time to wait for you here so you could meet prior your sessions. I wouldn’t want to do it closer to the competition…”

Guilt made Jongin flinch and she looked back to her team. It seemed like they could be left alone so she fetched her bag and slung it over her shoulder.

“Sorry, Ms. Lee. I’ll be there.”

Her teammates looked up at her questioningly and she smiled sheepishly. “Sorry guys. Ms. Lee is introducing me to my tutor and I completely forgot about it.”

Yixing then smiled at her and waved his hand, dismissing her. “You can go, Jongin-ah. We’ll be fine,” he smiled even wider, his deep dimples showing.

“Thanks. I will be back before we start the practice…”

Her assistant leader stood and pushed her out of the dance studio. “Go, Jongin. You’ve done more than enough for the competition, let us do something, yeah?”

Hyorin’s words echoed in her head at that and she smiled apologetically. “Alright, sorry. Just let me know if you need me here…”

“Yes, mom. Now go. Ms. Lee might give us hell too if we are the reason that you’re even more late.”

So Jongin walked across the short distance to the main building and headed towards the teachers’ lounge for the second time in two days. She knocked on the door before opening it as carefully as she had yesterday. She easily found Hyorin because she’s sitting where she had been the day before and she didn’t miss the guy with her. Jongin knew him and she’s quite comforted that her tutor isn’t a complete stranger.

He’s Do Kyungsoo, a year ahead of her but they attended the same high school. He had been somewhat famous back then because he is smart, attractive and surprisingly friendly. He’s got the round nerdy glasses perched on his nose, dresses in a way that he blends in the crowd easily and his poker face is kind of intimidating yet, he wasn’t too easy to ignore whenever he smiles. His eyes turn into crescents and his lips curls into a heart that makes him look like a cute little doll on display in a toy store. And she has known that Kyungsoo has been one of the active tutors then as well. Jongin may have harbored a small crush on the elder before but just as it has sprouted, she had to bury it deep into the back of her mind because of her father’s passing.

“There you are, Jongin!” Hyorin called her over with a little too much excitement in her voice. It puzzled Jongin but she shrugged it off and joined her advisor and to-be tutor. Kyungsoo turned to her and she almost tripped on her foot when he smiled at her. She has seen him smile before but there is something about it that was disarming. The tutee willed away a blush and pretended that nothing happened. “I didn’t know you and Kyungsoo went to the same high school.”

“Yeah. He’s a year ahead of me but I know of him,” she replied to Hyorin and didn’t forget her manners despite rediscovering her crush on her tutor. “My grades are in your hand, Kyungsoo-ssi. Please take care of me.”

Kyungsoo bowed to her as well and a misplaced playfulness on his innocent features flashed on his large, clear eyes. “I intend to do everything in my power to help you, Jongin-ssi. Let’s take care of each other.”

He extended is hand and Jongin jolted into attention, waking from her slight daze at the fact that she’s still attracted to this guy, and accepted it in a shake. She can’t help but notice that Kyungsoo’s grip is uncharacteristically firm. She’s expected a soft and gentle hold but it’s the opposite. Interesting, she mused as their handshake lasted a little longer than necessary.

“Since this is settled, I expect a progress report from you Kyungsoo after every other session and I think it is better for you to share numbers so that it will be convenient for you to set-up your sessions. This arrangement is temporary, don’t worry. Just until Jongin’s grades are safer than stable. Is that good for the both of you?”

Hyorin must’ve said something important judging from the tone of her question but Jongin was locked in a silent trying of the atmosphere between her and Kyungsoo. They’re looking into each other with unconcealed interest and amusement. Ms. Lee simply sighed as she witnessed this, debating with herself if she made a mistake or initiated something good to brew.

 

 

Do Kyungsoo

 

Today is your competition, right?

Good luck, Jongin-ah! ;)

Thanks oppa~ the offer still stands btw  :D

I’ll have you know that I’m not a person for clubs, I’m sorry.

Hu says u hav to be?

I’ll be downright awkward there. =_=

That’s ok! U r comin there to just watch

Its ok to not talk to anybody u might get kidnapped :O

Wow. So much trust you have for me.

I feel like proving you wrong now.

I can take care of myself, you know?

Hmm, I dunno. Maybe I do have to see ;P

Is that a challenge?

^_^

You’re on.

Yey! U hav to see me later oppa.

It feels like you tricked me to this.

But I’ll see you later. :)

\(^-^)/ :*

 

Jongin’s giggles were cut-off when her phone was snatched from her. It has just been two days since she has exchanged numbers with Kyungsoo but they have been constantly texting. She has never been this attached to her phone ever and that’s the reason why it has gotten Yixing’s attention. Their leader has been suspiciously smiling to her phone whenever she has it in her hands since the day that she was called by Ms. Lee. His curiosity has him snatching the phone and he was surprised to see the name of the person she has been messaging.

“I didn’t know that you know Kyungsoo. What a small world, indeed,” he remarked teasingly. When Jongin blushed brightly, he can’t help but laugh in amusement. It’s the first time that he has seen the younger react like that because of a person, a guy at that. He has witnessed Jongin getting much attention from the male population but she’s usually just bashful and she politely wiggles her way out of their clutches.

But a shy and blushing Jongin? That’s new.

“I… uhm, we were schoolmates before and… he’s gonna be my… tutor,” she answered in a near whisper. But then she looked at Yixing with a question. “How do you know him, anyway?”

Yixing smirked at her. “Oh, that makes sense. Sorry I forgot that you are cooped up in your own world outside of dance but I’ll have you know that Kyungsoo is my roommate and he’s also Luhan’s ex.”

Jongin choked on her spit. “Luhan? Our Luhan?!”

Xi Luhan is the eldest member of the dance club and she’s like a living doll. She could’ve easily been the club’s leader but she relinquished the role to Jongin because she said that she’s a better follower anyway. And Jongin could’ve also sworn that she has been forever with Sehun but apparently, she had a boyfriend before him. And it was even Do Kyungsoo. What the hell?!

“Yup. Our Luhan,” Yixing’s smirk grew even more mischievous. “Why do you look so surprised, Jonginnie?”

“N-nothing. Just thought that Lu unnie has always been with Sehun. And um, it didn’t seem like she and K-kyungsoo-ssi…” she mumbled, slowly feeling embarrassed at her reactions. So what if Kyungsoo had a girlfriend? Even though he doesn’t look like he’s already had one, how could he not? And it’s Luhan so it’s totally understandable. How could anyone not like sweet, bubbly and cute Luhan? Jongin swallowed the slight bitter taste in .

“Kyungsoo may look very much innocent but he’s not, Jonginnie. I’d say that you should be careful around him,” the elder tried to put up a serious façade but he failed miserably, ending up chuckling in mirth. “But as I could see, my warning is already too late.”

Affronted, Jongin swiped her phone from Yixing’s hold and harrumphed away from him, muttering about nosy seniors.

 

 

Jongin couldn’t help but cry as she received the champion’s trophy in behalf of her team. She was being huddled around but she managed to raise their proof of triumph high in the air for everyone to see. All of the hours that they have spent in rigorous practice have bore fruit and there they are, standing on the highest level of the podium with the biggest smiles on their faces.

She squealed when Yixing led the others into lifting her up with cheers. Jongin wasn’t able to do anything about it but be mindful that she won’t fall over. She hugged their trophy close and when her eyes swept through the audience, she has spotted Ms. Lee beaming proudly at them and someone with a familiar smile is standing beside her. The renewed thumping in her chest came back. She didn’t mind it over the joy that she is feeling and she was even bold enough to wink and send a flying kiss to the amused Kyungsoo who’s almost drowned from all the people around him.

They were eventually ushered off the stage but the high is still palpable. Every one of their team are still cheering and there is just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter