Lesson 3: A Moment Like This

The Unfairest of Them All

Some people wait a lifetime for a moment like this… only to get it ruined by a mafia gang and a random sorcerer.

Don’t give Junhoe that look.

Junhoe and Chanwoo have been an ‘unloving’ couple (villains don’t do ‘love’) for a month now, and Junhoe thinks it’s time to give Chanwoo something, like a promise ring or engagement ring or something.

So, he has been searching for one; he pondered whether to get one with diamond (a classic choice), or maybe a fancy one with ruby or sapphire, or maybe an ancient ring with magical gems.

However, in his search, Junhoe came across an ancient proverb: It’s the thought that counts. Especially evil thought.

Hence, Junhoe figured, the best ring money can buy is not necessarily the best. The best ring, in this case, is the one stolen directly from the wedding night; preferably straight from the bride’s hand as she weeps over her groom’s dead body.

Therefore, the wedding celebration ended as soon as the unfortunate bride and groom kissed in front of everyone. Need to ruin it at the best possible moment.

Junhoe tries too hard to be evil… Maybe he is; who cares?

The mafia gang starts by throwing some gunshots in the air, informing their presence. The unfortunate couple is obviously shocked; they stop kissing and look around in panic. The other attendees are obviously afraid too, although they do not run since the gang members are everywhere; they’ve got nowhere to run.

Junhoe then stands up from his seat. “Ladies and gentleman! What a lovely party we have here!”, he shouted. “Now, I will appreciate it if you guys don’t run away. We don’t want too much blood on the food; I’ve got a gang to feed.”

As soon as he said that, an attendee jumps in panic and dashes to the exit.

“I said, don’t run!”, Junhoe shouted and shot the running attendee right in the head. The man drops dead on the floor accompanied by the gasps of other attendees.

“Oh well. That’s why you need to listen to other’s people words.”, Junhoe nonchalantly said, waving his gun around. He then signals his gang, and soon after, the soothing sound of gunshots can be heard through the otherwise silent room.

“Oh, don’t forget to keep the bride alive until I take her ring.”, Junhoe instructed his gang.

“What a little horrible thing you are.”, Chanwoo teased as he comes over to Junhoe and hugs him from the back. “You have gone a long way from putting cats on top of a tree.”

Junhoe smiles and turns around. “Thanks to who, huh? You naughty little boy.”, he teased back, lifting Chanwoo’s head up, so they are looking eyes to eyes. “So, do you enjoy the party?”, he asked.

“Of course I do! The pie is amazing!”, Chanwoo declared.

“Anything for you.”, Junhoe said, brushing his finger on Chanwoo cheeks before pulling him for a peck on the lips.

However, their peaceful conversation is soon ruined when a sudden gust of wind passes through them. Someone just passed by, and not just any ordinary someone, but someone super.

“Here comes the hero.”, Chanwoo sneered cynically.

“A speedster.”, Junhoe added.

Chanwoo then turns around, trying to track the speedster. “Well, don’t let this ruin the mood. I’ll handle him.”

“Can you?”

“It’s a good opportunity to test my new power.”, Chanwoo said. Indeed, after getting the artifact, he has only been getting stronger. Chanwoo’s hand is following the speedster’s movement for a while before he finally blasts a spell which shoves the speedster to the wall.

“Oops. It’s actually a her.”, Chanwoo commented. Before the speedster moves again, Chanwoo casts another spell and pin her to the wall. “Is that it?”, Chanwoo mocked.

But the speedster soon breaks loose and starts going after Chanwoo. However, before she gets to Chanwoo, she falls to the floor. Junhoe just low-kicked her. He then tries to shoot her, but she dodges just in time.

Chanwoo gives Junhoe an eye-roll, “I said I could handle her.”.

“The speedier she’s gone, the better.”, Junhoe replied.

Chanwoo snorts, “Is that a pun?”.

Before Junhoe can reply, the speedster is already moving again and engages Chanwoo in battle. Junhoe wants to help, but one of his underlings shouts, “Boss!”.

“What?”, Junhoe asked, turning around. Suddenly, a ring is thrown at him. It’s the wedding ring!

“Why you!? I told you I would take it myself!”, Junhoe shouted.

“He said other supers are coming!”, the underling said, pointing at one of the other guys.

Junhoe sighs. “Well then, time to run!”, Junhoe said. He then pulls Chanwoo and starts running, “Let’s dash!”.

“You won’t get away!”, the speedster shouted as she stops them. Junhoe tries to shoot her a few times, missing miserably, but it gives an opportunity for Chanwoo to cast a spell. Chanwoo traps the speedster’s lower half of her body in shadow, making her practically stuck.

“Good luck getting out of there.”, Chanwoo mocked as he runs away.

They drive to the mafia’s nearest hideout, which happens to be Junhoe’s house. They catch their breath once they’re inside.

“Well, there’s that.”, Junhoe said, still wheezing from the exhilaration. He then pulls Chanwoo to his room and closes the door.

“So…”, Junhoe said as he kneels in front of Chanwoo. “You know the deal; will you take this ring?”

Chanwoo stares at the ring on Junhoe’s hand. He reaches out to take it but then hesitates…

“What’s wrong?”, Junhoe asked. “Don’t you want to tie our relationship?”

Chanwoo sighs. “I want to… I really want to. But that kind of ring…”

“Is it not good enough?”

“No, not that! It’s good; it’s perfect! But… if my dad sees me wearing that…”

“Your dad? As in, that demon from the museum?”

Chanwoo nods. “If he sees that… he will start questioning me.”, Chanwoo explained before pausing and takes a deep breath. “He doesn’t really know about us… yet.”

Chanwoo continues his explanation, “He may look like that, but deep inside, he is just another overprotective dad. In a villain way, anyway.”.

Hearing that, Junhoe just stares at Chanwoo, not knowing how to respond. But he doesn’t have to, as Chanwoo continues soon, “So, you need to get his approval.”.