Lesson 1: Start Small Think Evil

The Unfairest of Them All

Even with all the ruckus with the police, school starts immediately after the opening ceremony.

When they reach the main building, Junhoe and Chanwoo get out from the shadow.

“Oh, the class already started. We’re late!”, Junhoe said, dragging Chanwoo toward the class.

Chanwoo stares at Junhoe, before he says, “You’re really not evil, are you?”.

Junhoe turns around and faces Chanwoo, “What do you mean?”.

“They try to ‘teach’ us how to be evil. Except, going to class kills that purpose!”, Chanwoo explained. Chanwoo then suddenly gets an idea, “Oh, that’s it! I’ll teach you how to be evil.”.

“Eh… What?”, Junhoe asked in confusion.

“As I said, I’ll teach you!”, Chanwoo insisted. This time, he is the one dragging Junhoe away from the class.

“But, where are we going? What about the class?”, Junhoe asked.

Chanwoo turns around and sighs, “You’re a slow one, aren’t you?”.

“Wha- What did you say?”, Junhoe said, twitching his eyebrow. He then lashes out, pointing his finger at Chanwoo’s chest, “Did you just insult me!?”.

Weirdly enough, Chanwoo seems happy with Junhoe’s anger. “That’s the spirit! I know you get that inner badness inside you!”, he joyfully said while resuming dragging Junhoe.

Junhoe is obviously confused with Chanwoo’s reaction. “Wait… What!? Why are you not… Show some fear or something!”, he yelled.

“Why? Did I just hurt your ‘Mafia pride’? Ooh… I’m so scared.”, Chanwoo replied mockingly.

Junhoe pouts. “You’re annoying.”

They continue walking toward the nearest bus stop. When they arrive, Chanwoo says, “We’re taking a bus.”.

“Really, a bus?”, Junhoe asked sarcastically.

Chanwoo hums in respond, “Well, it’s the easiest way.”.

Soon enough, a bus approaches and Chanwoo signals the driver. The bus stops in front of them and, as soon as Chanwoo enters, he said, “I’m taking the bus.”.

The driver is obviously confused at Chanwoo’s remark. But, before he can reply, Chanwoo magically flings him out through the window toward the other side of the street.

Junhoe’s mouth gaps open at Chanwoo’s action. “When you said ‘take a bus’, you meant ‘hijack a bus’!?”, he shouted.

Chanwoo turns around and gives Junhoe a weird look, “Yeah, what’s wrong with that? C’mon, get in.”. Chanwoo then realizes that the bus passengers are staring at him wide-eyed; some from surprise, some from fear. “What? Don’t you guys have something better to do?”, Chanwoo commented, which make the passengers awkwardly look away.

“Oh, can you drive?”, Chanwoo asked.

“I can… But I never drive a bus before.”, Junhoe replied honestly.

“Don’t worry, just drive. You can hit a car or two; I don’t care. In fact, I encourage you to hit something!”, Chanwoo said in an innocent tone as he takes the seat nearest to the driver’s seat.

Hence, Junhoe starts driving. Chanwoo told him that they are going to the city, so Junhoe drives that way. On the way, Chanwoo starts acting like this is a field trip; happily humming an unknown catchy jingle that Junhoe swears he has heard somewhere before.

They then pass by a park, and Chanwoo calls Junhoe. “Look, a park! I know what we’re going to do today.”, he declared.

Junhoe stops the bus near the park, and they get off the bus. Chanwoo quickly dashes toward the park, saying, “Kitty, kitty, kitty… Where are you?”.

Junhoe slowly follows him from behind. “Why are you looking for a cat?”, he asked.

“You will see.”

Chanwoo then soon discovers a cat. “There’s one!”, he said, pointing at the cat. Then, he magically lifts the cat and puts it on a tall tree. “That’s what we’re going to do!”

Junhoe’s mouth gaps open once more at Chanwoo’s action. While scratching his head in bewilderment, he asks, “Why did you do that!? That’s horrible! We’re not even hurting anyone! Just some powerless cats!”

Chanwoo sighs as he turns around and faces Junhoe. “You’re not going to graduate at this point.”

“But… I mean…”, Junhoe still tried to protest.

“Look. Just do it.”, Chanwoo said, staring at Junhoe’s eyes.

Junhoe looks at Chanwoo, but all Chanwoo’s eyes are telling him is that he’s serious. In the end, Junhoe sighs; it seems that he has no way out. He starts walking to find another cat.

“So, you’re doing it?”, Chanwoo asked.

“Shut up.”

After a while, they find another cat. Chanwoo easily catches the cat and hands it over to Junhoe.

“How am I supposed to put this up there?”, Junhoe asked.

Chanwoo shrugs, “I don’t know. What can you do?”.

Well, Junhoe can think of one way… But he feels like a horrible person doing it.

In the meantime, Chanwoo keeps staring at Junhoe. “So…?”, he asked.

“I… I’m not sure.”, Junhoe said, looking at the cute cat on his hand. “Maybe I should just let it go…”

However, the cat does not respond kindly to Junhoe’s compassion. Instead, it slashes Junhoe’s nose with its claws.

“You little…!”, Junhoe shouted as he gasps in pain. He then throws the cat at the nearest tree. The cat meows loudly as it flies through the sky and finally lands on top of a tree.

“You did it!”, Chanwoo merrily shouted.

Junhoe sighs as he touches his nose. “It’s bleeding.”, he said.

“Are you ok?”, Chanwoo asked, with a tone of worry that is just barely there, although it seems that he’s trying too hard to sound nonchalant.

“What do you think?”, Junhoe asked back. “Come, let’s go back.”, he said, turning around and walks toward the park’s exit.

“Umm… I know some healing spells.”, Chanwoo said while playing with his shirt.

“You do?”

“Well, my mom doesn’t like healing spell. But I learned them myself just in case.”, Chanwoo explained. He then stands in front of Junhoe and covers Junhoe’s nose with his hand. Soon enough, Junhoe’s nose heals.

While Chanwoo was healing his nose, Junhoe just stood there staring at Chanwoo’s eyes, dazed by the slight concern that softens Chanwoo’s eyes.

“Umm… Junhoe?”, Chanwoo asked. “Junhoe?”

Chanwoo’s voice brings Junhoe back to reality.

“What is it?”, Chanwoo asked.

“Nothing. Let’s go.”

On the way home, Junhoe sighs. “Is this really where I belong?”, he asked himself.