Too Late

Unwanted Benefits

 

“I can’t believe she’s really going through with this,” Rosé huffed, pacing back and forth in front of her living room couch. She kept running her hands through her hair or biting her nails, unsure of what to do with all of the nervous energy pulsing through her.

“Why are you even surprised? You know how Jennie gets when there’s something she wants--she won’t stop until she gets it,” Brian said from his place on the couch. Rosé didn’t answer, opting to shoot the boy a glare before resuming her pacing instead. Brian’s eyes followed her movements, back and forth and back and forth. “If you keep that up you’re going to make permanent tracks in the floor.”

“Ugh!” Rosé sighed dramatically, plopping down beside Brian. She threw her head back, covering her eyes with her arm, and groaned loudly.

“Why are you even stressing about this so much? It’s not like Jennie’s never been with anyone before.” Rosé let out another sigh, letting her arm drop to her side so that she could look at the boy by her side.

“It’s different when she’s just messing around. This is serious and Jennie really wants to have a relationship with Lisa.”

“Shouldn’t you be happy that she’s finally getting over whatever happened when Seulgi left? Aren’t you glad that she’s finally treating a girl like more than a distraction?” Rosé didn’t answer, her gaze shifting to the side as her teeth sunk into her bottom lip. “Or are you too upset that the girl isn’t you?”

“What?! No! That’s ridiculous!” the redhead answered sharply, her head snapping up. Her eyes were wide, a light blush crawling up her cheeks. Brian rolled her eyes.

“Are you just going to live your entire life denying that you’re in love with her?” Brian demanded, a note of irritation slipping into his voice.

“I-I’m not in l-love with Jennie,” Rosé stammered. Even to her own ears it sounded weak, and she could hear the tremor in her voice.

“You know I usually stay out of your business when it comes to Jennie, but I’m really getting tired of watching you get hurt time and time again. And I can’t even be mad at Jennie for her obliviousness because you’re just as responsible.”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about your feelings for her, Rosé! You tell everyone that you’re okay with your ‘friends with benefits’ dynamic, and maybe you’ve even convinced yourself that you are, but everyone can see how much of a lie that is--everyone except for you and Jennie. Every time she goes off with someone else, you sulk around like a kicked puppy for days until her attention is solely on you again. I know you love her, Rosie, and you can’t say it’s ‘as a sister’ or ‘as a friend’ because no one would ever look at their friend or sister with the amount of lust and longing that you have when you look at Jennie. You may be content letting Jennie go around and find her own happiness or whatever, but you’re not even attempting to find your own happiness.”

Brian’s chest rose and fell rapidly when he finished talking, his breathing slightly heavy from the breathless rant. His cheeks were tinged pink and his eyes shone with an unfamiliar flame of emotion. Rosé started at him, open-mouthed with the shock of his outburst.

“Okay… I’ll admit that I have feelings for Jennie, strong feelings. I don’t know about love--”

“You love her, damn it!” Brian interjected. Rosé continued as if he hadn’t spoken.

“--but I do want to be with her. I just don’t know what to do. If it’s really as obvious as you say, then why hasn’t she realized it yet? It’s been years, Brian, and she’s never even once seemed to notice how much I care about her or given any indication that she feels the same way.”

“Rosé, when it comes to feelings, Jennie isn’t the best judge. She doesn’t easily pick up on other people’s feelings and she can barely discern her own. Honestly, it’s a miracle she’s even realized her feelings for Lisa and is acting upon them.”

“That’s the other thing. How am I supposed to do anything if she’s on her way to ask Lisa out right now? I’m already too late so really this conversation is pointless.”

“Oh my God, do I have to do all of the thinking for you?” Brian rolled his eyes, sighing in exasperation. He got to his feet, pulling Rosé after him and pushing her towards the door. “You have to go and get your girl, Rosé. You’re giving up too easily. You can’t just wait for Jennie to come to her senses on her own because she never will.”

“What do you want me to do though? I can’t just show up and tell Jennie not to date Lisa.” Rosé whined, struggling against the taller and stronger boy. He stopped abruptly, taking Rosé by the shoulders and staring intensely into her eyes.

“Do you want to be with Jennie or not?” Brian demanded.

“Y-yes,” Rosé stammered.

“Do you love her enough to take a leap of faith and tell her how you feel?” he continued.

“Yes,” the redhead answered, more confidently this time.

“Then prove it. Take the risk and put yourself out there, or live with the regret of never trying.”

“You’re right, I have to do something,” Rosé sighed. She smiled at Brian, a new determination lighting up her eyes. “Thank you.”

And before he could answer, Rosé had already bolted out of the door.

***

Jennie felt her heart pounding furiously as she put her car into park. She drummed her fingers nervously against the steering wheel as she tried to calm her breathing. Why was she so nervous? It was so uncommon for her to be anything but confident and nonchalant all the time. But now she was a nervous wreck and she was literally seconds away from turning back and going home. But she could already see Lisa approaching the car and she knew that there was no turning back now. So she took a deep breath and forced herself to exit the car, her hands clasped behind her back as she moved forward to meet Lisa.

“Hey, Jennie,” Lisa greeted, her obvious confusion unable to stop the small smile that lit up her features. “Is everything alright? You sounded kind of panicked when you called earlier.”

“Yeah, well, I am a bit nervous,” Jennie admitted. She let out a soft chuckle when she heard the slight tremble in her own voice. “Okay, I’m really nervous.”

“Nervous? About what?” Instead of answering right away, Jennie brought her hands out from behind her back, a single red rose clutched tightly in her shaky grasp. She lifted her eyes shyly to meet Lisa’s wide-eyed gaze.

“I was nervous about coming to see you because I’m not really good at these kinds of things.” Jennie took a step closer to the younger girl, trying to keep her heart from jumping out of her chest. Lisa’s eyes were the size of saucers and her full lips were parted in a perfectly round O, making her look more doll-like than ever. “I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you since yesterday. I thought I needed time to think, but I can’t think about anything besides you.”

“Jennie… are you saying what I think you are?” Lisa asked slowly.

“I don’t want to rush this, okay? I still don’t trust myself and I don’t want to end up doing something stupid and hurting you. But I want to give this a try, you and me. I want it to work, if you’re willing to give me a chance.” Jennie swallowed and took a deep breath before extending her hand, holding the rose out for Lisa to take. “Lisa, will you go out with me?”

“Yes, Jennie, of course!” Lisa accepted the rose and threw her arms around Jennie’s neck, pulling the startled girl in for a hug. Jennie tentatively brought her own arms up to wrap around Lisa’s slim body. The blonde laughed softly at Jennie’s careful movements and light touches. “You don’t have to be afraid to touch me, you know? I’m not made of glass.”

“I’m not afraid to touch you. I’m afraid that I won’t be able to stop if I start,” Jennie said honestly. Lisa pulled back slightly, but only enough to look into the older girl’s eyes.

“What if I don’t want you to stop?” she asked innocently, her eyes focusing on Jennie’s lips for a second before flicking back up.

“Lisa, don’t tempt me. Please,” Jennie whimpered, using all of her self control to stop herself from claiming the younger girl right then and there.

“Just one kiss?” Jennie hesitated, already feeling flushed from the extended period of close proximity that they were sharing. Lisa noticed Jennie’s uncertainty and jutted her lower lip out in a pout. “Come on. Just one?”

Jennie knew she couldn’t say no, not when Lisa was looking at her like a pleading puppy, her lower lip just waiting to be devoured. Unable to restrain herself any longer, Jennie closed the miniscule distance between them and took Lisa’s lower lip between her own. The older girl could feel her pulse soar and wondered if Lisa could hear the frantic thumping of her heart. Her head was swimming, her thoughts foggy, as her senses were consumed by Lisa--her taste, her smell, her touch. Jennie knew she was entering dangerous territory as the small part of her brain in charge of being responsible (and it was a really small part) began shutting off completely. Before she was even aware of what she was doing, Jennie’s teeth sank into the soft flesh of Lisa’s lower lip, tugging gently. The action elicited a breathy moan from the younger girl. The soft sound, though deeply arousing, was enough to finally snap Jennie back to her senses and she broke the kiss, panting heavily.

“Whoa,” Lisa breathed. Her lips curled up in a wide grin, making her suddenly look very innocent and childish as if she hadn’t just instigated a makeout session. “If I asked for another kiss like that, would you give it to me?”

“You’re not as innocent or naive as you seem, are you?” Jennie wondered out loud, looking curiously at the blonde still in the circle of her arms. Lisa let out an adorable giggle, tucking a strand of Jennie’s hair behind her ear.

“No one stays innocent forever,” the younger girl answered softly. When she met Jennie’s eyes, there was a spark of mischief there. “And naivety is for people that don’t know what they want.”

“I have the feeling you are going to make it very hard for me to behave myself.”

“Don’t worry. Sometimes it’s more fun to misbehave.” Lisa winked, somehow managing to look extremely alluring and y while remaining sweet and cute. She laughed at Jennie’s open-mouthed expression, noting the blush crawling up the older girl’s cheeks. “You’re cute when you’re flustered.”

“T-thanks?”

“Not that I wouldn’t love to continue standing out here with you all day, but don’t you have a class to get to?”

“Um… n-not until later. But you have class, right?”

“Unfortunately, yes. Otherwise I’d ask you to take me out right now.”

“I mean, I could drive you if you want.”

“I would love that, but Jisoo is already on her way down. But we’re all still going out for lunch later, right?”

“Yeah, of course. So I’ll see you then?”

“Definitely. And you can give me the details for when this date of ours is going to happen.” With that, Lisa stepped out of Jennie’s embrace. She turned to head back towards her dorm building to see what was taking Jisoo so long, only to spin back around and plant a quick kiss on Jennie’s lips. The older girl had no time to react before Lisa ran back towards the dorm. Her laughter rang through the air and she looked over her shoulder to see a dumbstruck Jennie frozen in place. She stopped when she reached the doors to the dorm, offering Jennie a loud “See you later!” before disappearing inside.

***

Rosé watched the scene unfold before her and felt like her heart was literally being ripped out. She’d arrived far too late, just in time to watch Jennie and Lisa kiss passionately. She felt like she was going to be sick, tears already streaming down her face. This wasn’t fair. She had been by Jennie’s side practically forever. Why didn’t Jennie look at her with such cautious longing, or touch her with such restrained desire? How come Lisa got to experience Jennie’s romantic side, a side that had previously been revealed exclusively to Rosé? And why did it hurt so damn much?

Rosé felt defeated and foolish. What did she expect anyway? It’s not like she ever bothered to tell Jennie how she felt. She had been stupid to believe that the outcome would be anything different that what she was experiencing now.

She felt alone, but little did she know that she wasn’t. Because from a third story window of the dorm building, Jisoo was looking down at the events transpiring between Lisa and Jennie too. And, just like Rosé, she had that same crestfallen expression on her face and the same ache of heartbreak making it hard to breathe.


Okay I am going to start off by apologizing to all of the Chaennie shippers and Rosé stans. Please don't hunt me down and kill me, thanks.

Anyway, I'm sorry this took so long to get up but I honestly had no idea how I wanted this chapter to go or how to make the events play out. I'm still not satisfied but I hope I got the emotions across as intended. Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed this chapter even if you want to kill me right now! Until next time!

~unsungpoet <3