Counseling and Confessions

Unwanted Benefits

“Wh-What?” Rosé stammered. She suddenly didn’t feel very hungry.

“I… I think I like Lisa,” Jennie repeated.

“Jen, we all like Lisa. Who wouldn’t?” Rosé tried to say lightly, but she sounded choked.

“Rosie, you know that’s not what I meant.”

“But… you can’t like Lisa.”

“What? Why not?”

“B-Because… Just because!”

“Are you jealous or something?”

“No, that’s not what this is about. It’s just…”

“Just…?”

“She’s our friend, Jen. She’s sweet and innocent and naive. And I love you to death, but you’re the complete opposite of that and, as both of your friends, I’m telling you that you shouldn’t… taint her…”

“Rosé! What the hell?!” Jennie exclaimed, her cheeks ablaze.

“What?!” Rosé replied, also blushing for some reason. “It’s true. You’re not exactly Little Miss Innocent.”

“I know that. And I’m sure she knows that, too. But this is different… she’s different.”

“Different how?”

“Different as in… I’m not interested in just sleeping with her. I… I really like her. I can see myself… in a relationship with her.”

“You’re joking, r-right? You’re just m-messing with me?” But Rosé already knew the answer by the look on Jennie’s face. The older girl shook her head slowly, her eyes glistening with a mix of emotions.

“I kind of wish I was joking. Having feelings for a friend is… complicated.”

Tell me about it, Rosé huffed mentally. Outwardly, she forced her shocked expression into a smirk.

“The end of the world must be near for Jennie Kim to be considering a steady relationship,” Rosé teased. Especially after what happened last time...

“Agh, don’t say that,” Jennie whined, burying her face in her hands. “It doesn’t matter anyway. I can’t ever be with her.”

“Why not?” Rosé asked, cocking her head in confusion. Jennie peeked out from between her fingers, her eyes wide and full of a strange sadness.

“You’re right. I can’t taint her. She’s too… pure.”

“Jennie, I was only kidding about that. Well, sort of anyway. I just meant that you can’t sleep around with her. But dating her is a different story. As long as you’re serious about that, then I don’t see why you can’t at least try.”

“She might not even be interested. She might not even like girls to begin with.”

“You’re Jennie freaking Kim. Even straight girls fall for you.” Then Rosé added quietly, almost as an afterthought, “It’s hard not to.”

“You know I don’t love you any less because of this, right?” Jennie whispered, tracing the dark marks on Rosé’s collar bone with her index finger. She lifted her eyes to meet the redhead’s gaze, her cheeks a light shade of pink.

“I know, Jen. I know,” Rosé hummed, her eyes fluttering closed at the gentle caress of Jennie’s finger against her chest. The older girl leaned forward, pressing a chaste kiss to Rosé’s trembling lips.

“How about that movie marathon, hm?” Rosé could only muster a slight nod in response, her eyes still closed. Jennie stood to set up the TV and only then did the younger girl’s eyes flutter open to admire her stunning roommate and best friend.

“Jennie?” Rosé breathed, causing the dark-haired girl to look up from what she was doing.

“Yeah?”

“You won’t ever leave me, will you?”

“Oh, Rosie.” Jennie moved to kneel in front of the other girl, her hands gingerly cupping Rosé’s cheeks. She could see the uncertainty in the redhead’s eyes and it made her heart clench painfully. “Roseanne Park, I was yours before I was anyone else’s and I will always be yours. Don’t you ever doubt that.”

“Promise?”

“Cross my heart. I’d never dream of leaving you.”

“Good, because I might just tie you up if you tried.” Rosé cracked a small smile which Jennie immediately reciprocated. This time, Rosé was the one who leaned forward to capture Jennie’s lips. But, unlike minutes before, this kiss quickly became hungry and needy. And, suddenly, the movies and Rosé’s pizza didn’t really seem important anymore.

***

Jennie woke up one morning before her alarm, light streaming into her room. She was tangled in her blankets with a sleeping Rosé clutching onto her arm. It had been almost a week since Jennie had told Rosé about her feelings for Lisa and the news seemed to make the younger girl clingier than ever. The dark-haired girl had woken up like this almost every day for the entirety of the week, not that she was complaining.

Jennie smiled lovingly at the girl by her side, running a hand lightly over the sleeping girl’s features. After a few minutes of shameless admiration, the older girl disentangled herself from Rosé’s embrace and went about getting ready for school. Her roommate was still in a deep slumber when Jennie planted a kiss on her forehead and left the apartment. She was walking to her car, humming softly to herself, when a hand closed around her arm, nearly making her heart stop.

“Seulgi, what the hell! You almost scared me to death!” Jennie yelled as she was spun around to face the older girl.

“Sorry. I called your name but you were too lost in your own little world to notice. Still thinking about her, I’m assuming,” Seulgi said, nodding her head towards the apartment. Jennie clenched her jaw, yanking her arm out of Seulgi’s grasp.

“What are you doing here, Seulgi?” the dark-haired girl hissed. “Were you waiting for me to come out?”

“Don’t flatter yourself,” Seulgi scoffed. “I have a breakfast ‘date’ with Joy and Yeri. I was waiting for them, but I’ll admit I was reminiscing about the last time I was here.”

“Seulgi,” Jennie said in a warning tone, sure of what would come next.

“Did you ever tell Rosé what we did in the living room?” Seulgi smirked at the deep shade of crimson that colored Jennie’s cheeks.

“Did you ever tell Irene?” Jennie barked back, hoping to hit a nerve.

“I mentioned it in passing,” Seulgi answered with an air of nonchalance, that smug smile still on her face. “The reenactment she and I carried out though was beyond hot.”

“You’re unbelievable.” Jennie turned to go but Seulgi grabbed her arm again, pinning her against the car at her back.

“You’re cute when you’re flustered.” The older girl was dangerously close, her eyes flicking down to Jennie’s lips before locking on her eyes.

“You have a girlfriend.” They were the only words that came out of Jennie’s mouth. As much as she hated to admit it, having Seulgi this close still caused her body to react without her consent and her mind was beginning to cloud.

“But that isn’t what you’re worried about.” There was no hint of doubt in Seulgi’s voice and her eyes bore into Jennie’s, challenging her to argue. But Jennie was mute. “You’re afraid Rosé will see. And that she’ll tell Lisa.”

“Wh-What are you t-talking about?” Seulgi ignored Jennie’s question, pressing on with questions of her own.

“Why have you been avoiding me, Jen? You won’t answer my texts or my calls, and you walk the other way when you see me coming. Do you still have feelings for me? Or is it something else? Does it have to do with whatever happened between you and Lisa in the dance studio last week?”

“Shut up.”

“Is that why you’re ing around with Rosé more than usual? Are you afraid of what you’re feeling for Lisa?”

“SHUT UP!” Jennie shoved Seulgi off of her. She was breathing heavily, her chest heaving. All of her anger seemed to have drained in that one outburst, though, and she suddenly looked so fragile. Seulgi wanted to reach out and tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear but she refrained herself, just staring as Jennie whispered, “Please, just… stop it.”

“Answer my questions.”

“I will always feel something for you, Seulgi. You were the first person I ever slept with, and I wasn’t just another girl for you. You took care of me.” Jennie’s voice broke on the last sentence and she had to pause to compose herself. “Lisa and I… we can’t ever happen. I’m not like you, Seulgi. You changed your ways for Irene, out of love for her. But I can’t change who I am. Trust me, I’ve tried. I’ll just end up hurting Lisa and I’d never forgive myself if I did that.”

“And that makes it okay for you to mess around with Rosé?”

“Rosé knows exactly what kind of person I am and she’s okay with that. She always has been. She’s the one constant in my life, and I know she’ll always be there no matter what.”

“You’re taking advantage to her, Jennie, and you aren’t being fair to her or to yourself. You’re going to end up hurting everyone involved, Lisa included.”

“What are you talking about?”

“She likes you. A lot. The way she looks at you? God, anyone would kill to be looked at like that, with innocent affection and admiration. And I can see her heart break a little every time she sees you with Rosé.”

“Lisa knows about my relationship--”

“That doesn’t make it any less difficult to watch. Believe me, I know because I felt it too. No matter how many times you or Rosé say that what you have is nothing more than just some occasional fun, it’s torture to watch you with her. It seems too real. If you don’t make it clear to Lisa that you have feelings for her, she’s never going to try anything with you.”

“I don't want her to--”

Yes, you do. Stop lying to yourself, Jen. You want her, don't you?”

“More than I've wanted anyone in a while,” Jennie finally admitted. “More than…”

“More than you wanted me,” Seulgi finished quietly. She smiled softly, though there was a trace of sadness in her hazel orbs. She couldn't hold back and she reached out, tracing Jennie’s jawline before cupping the girl's cheek. “You don't have to be afraid to say it. I always knew where we stood. I knew it would end.”

“But then why--?”

“Because I was afraid, and you were a safe option. I knew that despite both of us being titled players, you'd take care of me until it was over. And I knew that when I was finally ready to be with Irene that you wouldn't get hurt.” Seulgi paused, gazing intently at Jennie. “And, whether or not you believe it, I did love you.”

“Does… Does she take care of you? Are you happy with her?” Jennie couldn't help but ask, her voice trembling slightly. The older girl smiled warmly, a dreamy look taking over her features.

“She does, and I am. She's more than I could have ever asked for, more than I deserve honestly.”

“You deserve to be happy, Seul.” Seulgi grinned at the use of her nickname.

“You deserve to be happy too, Jen. If you don’t do something about Lisa now, you’re going to regret it forever. I’d hate it for you to have to feel that.” The older girl took a step back, pulling her hand back. “Just try, okay? Even if it doesn’t work out, I promise it will be worth it.”

She started to turn, to make her way back towards the building to wait for her friends, when a soft voice calling her name and a gentle hand on her arm made her pause. She had barely turned around when she felt the familiar press of lips against her cheek and then there were arms around her neck. Jennie held her in a tight embrace for a few moments before pulling away, a grateful smile tugging on her lips.

“Thank you, Seul,” she whispered. Her eyes roamed Seulgi’s features one last time before she turned to go, only stopping to toss one more comment over her shoulder. “And, for the record, I did love you too.”

***

“How long have you been watching us?” Seulgi demanded without moving, her eyes trained on the spot in the distance where Jennie’s car had disappeared.

“Long enough,” Joy answered, coming to stand beside Seulgi. Yeri came up on Seulgi’s other side, placing a hand gently on the older girl’s arm.

“Are you okay?” the youngest asked.

“Yeah, I think I finally am,” Seulgi smiled, bringing a hand up to her cheek.

“You don’t still have feelings for her, do you?” Joy inquired, her voice cold.

“No, of course not,” Seulgi assured the taller girl.

“Good, because I like you and I’d really rather not kick your , but I will if you ever hurt Irene,” Joy said, her expression dead serious.

“Don’t worry, I wouldn’t dream of hurting Irene,” Seulgi chuckled. “I was just offering Jennie some relationship advice.”

“Oh, is she finally getting with Rosé?” Yeri wanted to know.

“I wish, but that girl is more stubborn than anyone else I’ve ever met.” Seulgi rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her chest. “She thinks she likes Lisa, so I told her to go for it.”

“Wait, but Jisoo--” Joy started.

“Will thank me for this later. Rosé too,” Seulgi quickly cut in. She tossed her hair over her shoulder, motioning in front of her. “Shall we get to breakfast now?”

“You know, some day this meddling thing is gonna come back to bite you,” Yeri commented as they walked to Seulgi’s car.

“I don’t think so. I’m pretty good at what I do. After all, I got you two to go from hating each other to having before breakfast, didn't I?” Seulgi smirked as both girls stopped in their tracks, cheeks turning bright pink.

“H-How did you…?” Yeri couldn’t even finish the question, her eyes wide.

“I have a lot of expertise in this area, kiddo. You’re both glowing. Not to mention that the bite marks on your neck are still fresh.” The oldest girl started laughing at the flustered expression on the youngest’s face. Despite herself, Joy found herself chuckling along, shaking her head slightly.

“Let’s just hope you know what you’re doing with Jennie, Kang,” she said, growing serious. She glanced down the street in the direction Jennie had driven off. “For everyone’s sake.”


So I guess introducing Seulgi into the story somehow brought along a huge burst of inspiration and this chapter came to be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm quite roud of it actually, not gonna lie. I hope all of you lovely readers enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it. Until next time <3

~unsungpoet ^-^