I Love You, I'm Sorry

Unwanted Benefits

Jennie, quietly crept into the apartment, gently shutting the door behind her. She set her bag down on the entryway floor before tiptoeing towards her room.

“Where were you?” a voice demanded, causing Jennie to jump. She spun around, spotting Rosé curled up on the living room couch, her phone screen eerily illuminating her face.

“Oh, Rosé, it’s just you. You nearly gave me a heart attack,” Jennie breathed, placing her hand on her chest dramatically. Rosé sat up, turning on the lamp beside her.

“It’s almost one in the morning, Jennie. You nearly gave me a heart attack. Where were you?”

“Is it really that late?” Jennie looked up at the clock on the wall, her eyes wide.

“Yeah, it’s that late. Don’t you look at your phone? Oh, wait, that’s right--you don’t. Or else you would’ve seen the calls and messages I left you.” Rosé crossed her arms and glared at Jennie.

“I’m sorry, Rosie. My phone died and I was really enjoying my time with Lisa--”

“With Lisa? You were with her this whole time?”

“Not the whole time. Just… the past few hours.”

“What the hell were you guys up to in the middle of the night?”

“Well, she found me in the library and we just started talking--”

“The library doesn’t allow students after ten unless it’s an emergency, and we both know it wasn’t.”

“You didn’t let me finish. We left the library at like nine thirty because we were both hungry. So we went out to eat together. I drove her to her dorm building afterwards but we ended up staying in the car for a while, talking and stuff. I guess the time just slipped away.”

“So are you guys like best buds or something now?” Rosé demanded.

“Why do you say that like it’s something awful?” Jennie asked, beginning to feel annoyed. Rosé got to her feet, also starting to get worked up.

“Because you were off the radar for over five hours and come home at one in the morning acting like it’s nothing!”

“You’re not my mother, Rosé! I don’t have to answer to you, or anyone else for that matter. I’m a big girl. I can stay out as late as I want, with whomever I want.”

“You could’ve at least let me know--”

“I don’t have to keep you updated on my every move! It’s not like you’re my girlfriend or anything, so stop acting like you own me!” At that, Rosé paused, truly taken aback.

“I was just worried about you, Jen,” she said quietly. “Last time I checked, I’m your best friend. I’m sorry, maybe I was mistaken.”

“Rosé, wait,” Jennie started. Rosé, however, had already made her way to the door. It closed with a loud bang, causing Jennie to flinch. She groaned in frustration, running her hand through her hair. She stood there for a moment, debating whether or not to go after Rosé. In the end, her pride won out and she tiredly made her way to her room and plugged in her phone. She got into bed, but not before shooting Rosé a series of texts asking if the girl was okay, none of which were answered though all were read. Jennie heaved a sigh and pulled her covers over her head, deciding she might as well attempt to get some sleep. She tossed and turned, sleep evading her despite the fact that she was beyond tired. Every few minutes, she would roll over and send Rosé another message but she received no reply. It wasn’t until almost an hour later that her phone vibrated with a short message from the girl occupying her thoughts.

(Rosie 1:47 AM): Go to sleep

Jennie immediately typed out a reply, relief flooding her at the thought that at least Rosé was still alive and well enough to be angry.

(Nini 1:48 AM): I can’t. I need to know you’re okay

There was a lengthy pause and Jennie feared for a moment that Rosé would once again ignore her. But then her phone vibrated, the screen lighting up with two new messages.

(Rosie 1:56 AM): I’m fine

(Rosie 1:56 AM): Not that you care

Jennie felt as if she were being stabbed through the heart. She knew that her words had hurt the younger girl, and she hated herself for it. She desperately tried to remedy the situation, but her attempts were futile.

(Nini 1:57 AM): Rosie, of course I care

(Nini 1:57 AM): You know you’re so important to me

(Nini 1:59 AM): Rosé?

(Nini 2:03 AM): Please talk to me

After a while of not receiving a reply, Jennie gave up. She sank back into her pillow with a resigned sigh, running her hand tiredly over her face. She attempted to sleep once again, but it wasn’t until she heard the front door open and close that she was able to relax enough to drift off.

***

Jennie yawned, climbing out of bed. She rubbed the sleep from her eyes, padding into the hallway. Just then, the sound of movement behind Rosé’s door caught her attention. She moved up to the door, pressing her ear to the wood. She could hear footsteps and the sound of things being moved, acoustic covers of pop songs playing quietly in the background. Jennie knocked quietly but received no reply.

“Rosie?” she called, knocking again. But, once more, there was no reply. After calling a bit louder and knocking a third time to no avail, Jennie cautiously pushed the door open. Rosé was moving back and forth between her closet and a suitcase open on her bed, her movements almost robotic. “Rosé, what are you doing?”

“What does it look like?” Rosé answered dryly.

“It looks like you’re packing,” Jennie said dumbly.

“Wow, what gave it away, genius?” Rosé’s voice was cold and emotionless, which was very unlike her.

“What’s going on?”

“Do I need to spell it out for you?” Rosé huffed, stopping to glare at the dark-haired girl in annoyance. “I’m leaving, Jennie.”

“What?! But… w-why?”

Why? If you have to ask, you’re really just giving me more of a reason to leave.” Rosé continued what she’d been doing previously, speedily folding a variety of articles of clothing and shoving them into her suitcase.

“Is this about what happened last night?” Jennie asked, helplessly watching Rosé move about.

“Nope, not at all.” The amount of sarcasm in Rosé’s voice made Jennie flinch.

“C’mon, babe--”

Don’t call me that. I’m not your babe, remember?” Rosé’s voice cracked on the last word, tears beginning to pool in her eyes. She looked away, adding in a whisper, “I’m not your anything.”

“That’s not true,” Jennie tried to argue. But Rosé was already zipping up her suitcase and heading towards the door. Jennie felt desperation bubble in . “Rosé, wait!”

“I’ll be back for the rest of my things later,” Rosé stated simply. “Goodbye.”

Before Jennie could protest anymore, Rosé made her way out of the room and down the hall. Jennie stood frozen, only moving when the front door slammed closed with a sharp sound of finality.

***

For the second time in as many days, Jennie jolted awake, her heart thumping furiously. She scrambled out of bed and across the hall to Rosé’s door. She pressed herself against the wood, straining her ears until she detected the soft sound of Rosé’s breathing. With a sigh of relief, Jennie slid down to sit on the floor. Her stomach was churning with guilt. Although Rosé leaving had only been a dream, the rest of the events from the night had actually transpired. She knew that she’d hurt her best friend, and that was something she hated. She knew she needed to fix things, but how? An apology wasn’t enough, that was for sure. Jennie thought about it as she got to her feet and made her way back to her room. She checked the clock--half past six. What with Rosé’s late night endeavor, Jennie was sure that the girl would be deeply asleep for at least a few more hours. That gave her some time to plan a proper apology, but what? All of a sudden, an idea struck Jennie and she jumped to her feet. She quickly got dressed before dashing out of the apartment.

***

Rosé turned over with a groan, her room full of sunlight despite her blinds being closed. She squinted, annoyed by the bright light. She pulled her blanket over her head, trying to block out the source of her annoyance. But then she became aware of the sound of clamoring in the kitchen. She peeked out from beneath her covers, opening one eye to look at the time.

What the hell is Jennie doing up at nine in the morning? Rosé thought, slightly irritated. She considered just ignoring the noise and going back to sleep. Eventually, however, she realized that she felt well-rested and that she was actually quite hungry. With another groan, Rosé rolled out of bed and trudged to her bathroom. She took her time going through her morning routine, allowing herself to fully wake up before forcing herself to face Jennie. Rosé made her way to the kitchen, prepared to pick up where they had left off last night. But then she stopped and gaped at what she saw--a single red rose in a vase on the table, two places set, and an array of breakfast delicacies. There were assorted fruits (strawberries, blueberries, and bananas, all of which she loved), scrambled eggs, strips of crunchy bacon, and heart-shaped French toast waiting to be slathered with syrup or Nutella. What struck her most, however, was the shy girl standing next to the buffet. Jennie looked nervous and uncertain, her cheeks a light shade of pink as she looked at Rosé through her lashes.

“Good morning, Rosie,” she said tentatively. “I made you breakfast.”

“Jennie… What is all of this? Did you do all this for me?” Rosé demanded, still unable to believe the gesture. Jennie nodded.

“I feel really bad about how things went last night. I didn’t mean to worry you, and I definitely didn’t mean to snap at you the way I did. You don’t deserve that,” Jennie said quietly. Still being cautious, she took a few steps forward so that she was right in front of Rosé. She gently pushed Rosé's fiery locks away from her face before trailing her fingertips down her jaw. “You mean so much to me, Rosé. I know I don’t say it enough, but I love you. I’m sorry for treating you so poorly last night.”

“Please, shut up and kiss me already,” Rosé breathed, unable to bear the proximity and delicate touches. Jennie’s lips quirked up into a smile but it only lasted for a second before she cupped Rosé’s cheek and closed the distance between their lips. Their mouths moulded perfectly to each other, moving in unison until lack of oxygen forced them to break apart.

“Am I forgiven?” Jennie asked breathily as they rested their foreheads together.

“More than forgiven,” Rosé hummed in reply. She tilted her head to capture Jennie’s lower lip once again in a slow kiss. When she pulled away, Jennie was grinning like an idiot.

“I’m so glad to hear you say that because I know you don’t have class today so I’ve decided to stay with you,” Jennie announced.

“Jen, you can’t do that. You can’t skip class for me.”

“Too late. I already have people to take notes for me. Besides, it’s been a while since we’ve spent the day together.” There was a mischievous glint in Jennie’s eyes as she wrapped her arms around Rosé’s waist. Her hands slid beneath Rosé’s shirt and pressed against the small of her back. Rosé tucked her bottom lip between her teeth, biting down as Jennie’s lips moved lightly against her neck. “I’ve missed you, Rosie.”

“I’ve m-missed you too, J-Jen,” Rosé stammered, her voice faltering when Jennie nibbled on her earlobe. “Don’t you think we should eat f-first? Wouldn’t want it to g-go to waste.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” And just like that, Jennie had twirled away from Rosé, a smirk on her face as she finished setting everything down on the table. She sat down, motioning for Rosé to do the same. Rosé did so, her eyes never leaving Jennie’s teasing expression. This was going to be a long day.


Hello my lovlies <3 I hope you haven't missed me too much. I tried to make this chapter really Chaennie focused and fluffy because I'm sure y'all missed that. Again, my apologies for the inconsistent updates. I can't promise that I'll ever get better so please bear with me. Anyway, hope you enjoy. Bye~

~unsungpoet ^-^