i walk this path (on the snow)

this world is a wasteland (of opportunity)

xiumin/sehun

rating: g

title from exo's on the snow.

-

 

 

“Einen eiskaffee bitte. Vielen dank.” An iced coffee, please. Thank you very much.

Minseok took the cup from the outdoor vendor, pulling down his scarf slightly and sipping at its contents, humming in contentment as the lovely bitter flavors danced on his tongue.

“Kalter tag um ein kaltes getränk zu bestellen, sir.” Cold day to order a cold drink, sir.

Minseok looked up to meet the young vendor’s eyes, noticing how the man – boy, more like, as he appeared only midway through his teenage years – seemed to startle a little at the contact. He supposed it was his eyes. Vibrant, ice-blue irises weren’t uncommon in these parts of Europe, let alone Germany. But with someone with Minseok’s appearance, well.

It couldn’t be helped.

“Ich bevorzuge die kälte,” Minseok replied, pulling his scarf back up to cover his mouth. He tilted his head towards the boy in salutation, “Einen schönen tag noch.” I prefer the cold. Have a nice day.

Beverage in hand, Minseok turned his back and began his trek back home.

“Es ist ein blizzard heute abend!” Minseok heard the boy call from behind him. He stopped walking and looked back at the vendor, who looked sheepish at his outburst. “Bleiben sie warm, sir.” The boy said, a little softer.

It’s going to blizzard tonight! Stay warm, sir.

Over his large scarf, the boy was only able to see Minseok’s bright upturned eyes crinkle in amusement.

A blizzard, hm?

Minseok walked back over to the vendor to order a second drink.

 

Home, as it turned out, was an admittedly shabby apartment only a few blocks away. No heater, but that didn’t bother Minseok. It never did.

Now that he was alone, out of other’s eyeshot, Minseok walked over to his coffee table and set the two drinks in his hands down. He tugged off his scarf, hat, and shrugged his overly large (not to mention hot) jacket off his shoulders, folding it neatly and setting the clothing down on a nearby armchair. The layers were just so stifling.

He looked up at the sound of his rickety balcony doors rattling and clicked his tongue. So impatient.

Leaning down, Minseok reached for his drink and gently pushed the other hot drink he ordered a fair space away from him. Then, he walked over to the still-rattling balcony doors, unlocked them, and pushed them open. Instantly, a shock of frigid air hit him in the face, and Minseok closed his eyes and breathed it in deeply, relishing in the feeling of the chills running down his spine.

A shuffling behind him had Minseok opening his eyes, and he made his way back over to greet his young visitor.

 

“Hyung,” Sehun, who was bundled up in Minseok’s discarded clothes and clutching the hot drink in his hands, whined where he sat on one side of the loveseat, “Why is it always so cold here?”

Minseok walked over to him and gave him an unamused look. “Don’t ask questions you already know the answer to, Sehunnie.” He sat down and huffed when Sehun immediately scooted over to cuddle close to him, still clutching the drink in his hands.

“I don’t understand why you always insist on doing this,” Minseok sighed, referencing Sehun’s clingy nature, “You know that I run colder than you or any human. There is no heat to be gained from my body.”

“So rude, hyung,” Sehun mumbled into Minseok’s thin shirt. He lifted his head just enough to sip at his drink, making a small noise of delight at the taste of chocolate on his tongue, “You got me cocoa…hyung, you’re my favorite.”

Minseok rolled his eyes, “You called me rude not just two seconds ago, brat,” he muttered, pinching Sehun’s side and enjoying the little yelp the younger let out in response, “Make up your mind.”

Sehun shifted a little, bringing his long legs up to curl underneath him as he sipped at his drink again. “You’re my favorite rude hyung.” He decided, silver eyes crinkling into eye smiles at Minseok’s resulting disgruntled expression. He giggled and returned to his drink and Minseok sighed.

For a little while, they stayed quiet, simply enjoying each other’s company. Minseok looked out his still-open balcony, monitoring the weather. The wind had calmed some, now that Sehun was here. But it hadn’t snowed, yet.

Hm.

 

“hyung,” sehun whined, having noticed flakes of snow beginning to fall outside and, since the balcony was open, inside as well. “don’t make it colder!”

he yelped as minseok pinched him again, and sehun glared. minseok side-eyed him, “if you hate the cold so much, why did you come to visit me?”

at that, sehun paused. fidgeted. averted his eyes and fidgeted some more. “…because you’re my favorite hyung?”

“sehun.”

i mean, because you’re my favorite rude hyung—“

sehun.”

sehun whined softly, cowering away a little from minseok’s stare. it wasn’t that he was afraid, no. well, he was afraid but not of minseok, never of minseok, minseok would never hurt him, that wasn’t the problem, it was—

sehunnie,”

sehun snapped out of his thoughts and looked at minseok, who’s intense stare had softened. it was then that he noticed that the balcony doors were hitting against the wall intermittently, that a few papers had gone from one side of the room to the other, that minseok’s own half-finished drink had not only tipped over but completely blown off the table.

sehun calmed himself. he shouldn’t get too worked up.

’m sorry,” sehun mumbled, feeling his eyes grow a little wet from embarrassment. he was eighteen already, for gods’ sake. this shouldn’t still be happening.

 

Minseok reached up and gently rubbed the back of Sehun’s neck. When the younger sighed at the affectionate and calming gesture, Minseok took Sehun’s drink with his other hand, set it on the table, and gathered the boy into his lap. It should seem comical; Sehun had such long limbs, broad shoulders compared to Minseok’s compact form, and yet he curled so easily in the elder’s lap. This was a familiar place for him, for both of them.

There was another moment of quiet as the wind calmed, as the snow slowly fell.

“There’s an issue,” Sehun finally said, mumbled into Minseok’s shoulder. “Joon-hyung wants everyone home.”

Minseok froze. Everyone? “Home?” he asked, looking down at Sehun.

The younger only hid his face again, curling up on himself. Taking that as enough of an affirmation, Minseok closed his eyes and let his head fall back against the couch.

Home. Never has the word sounded so daunting.

Sehun fell asleep not long after that. Minseok stayed there with him, awake and alone with his thoughts as the snowfall grew heavier and a lone snowflake blew in, falling inside a paper cup and melting into lukewarm chocolate.