3. Tao

Cerca Trova

Short: After what happened to your boyfriend Suho, you have to leave the comfort of your home and live up to your promise. For him. (this can be read as a one shot)

Type: Angst, a little bit of fluff, loads of dialogue
Words: 9455 (oops?)
Pairings: (Reader X Suho), platonic!Reader X Chen
Warnings: ahhh nothing? a bit of angst. 


Barcelona 19:50

Your flight to Barcelona was long, but you didn’t hate flying so it was fine. You picked a cheap hotel not to far away from the airport, to start. This city was big as well, and your Spanish wasn’t any better than your Kazakh, but maybe your French would help. 
The location however, on the polaroid seemed more easy to find. It was a cafe, so more people might know the place. It wasn’t a picture of a part of a building, it was actually the front. It was a little too blurry to read the name of the cafe, but the doors were white and the walls grey. There were little wooden chair outside, with an open parasol. It looked cozy, and you’d love to sit there for a while, enjoying the sun. 

tumblr_nph4adkFaV1rl6hpro9_r1_500.gif

Originally posted by theseoks

 


For now though, you checked into your hotel and went up to your room. You spread the pictures out on the cover of the bed. Jongdae’s picture you put with the other pictures that belonged to him, and you wrote his name on the back along with his number, 21. Suho’s pictures also went together with his number, 01. 
What number would you meet this time? Would this be Jongin’s location? The boy who’d saved you and abandoned you at the same time. How would you ever find someone who teleported, he could be anywhere right?
You let yourself fall back after you’d neatly stacked all the pictures back into the little box. After finding Jongdae you had a little more hope of finding the others, you just hoped they’d all be so nice. You remember the feeling of his lips against yours, the little spark you’d felt. He was Suho’s brother, you’d never date him, but he deserved it really. He would call you soon, you were sure of it. Just to check on you maybe. 
Tomorrow your search would start, beginning in the city centre. But now, now you were going to take a rest from your trip. So your changes, brushed your teeth and got under the covers. 

The next day you took a metro to the city centre, navigating here was easier. And french did help somewhat, luckily. You found yourself a large pastry store and bought a croissant there, you’d missed those. The store owner was nice and you showed her the picture. “I’m looking for this, do you know where it is?” 
To your surprise, there was a young girl standing next to you, maybe 16. She translated for you, and you thanked her. 
The lady frowned, and went then pointed somewhere outside, mumbling something in Spanish. The girl tapped your arm. “She says it’s called Cafe Kafka, it’s a few blocks from here, to the left of the church.” 
Your eyes were wide in surprise, were you really this close? Would it really be this easy? “Thank you so much, thank you.” 
With your croissant in hand you ran over the street, following to the place they’d pointed you. A few blocks, how many? You slowed down, taking a bite, and roamed around for a little. 
Then you stopped. There, right in the centre of a little plaza, was the cafe. It was small, but it was definitely there. Cafe Kafka. For a moment you just stood and watched, and then you went inside. But wait, this was a cafe, does that mean he comes here every day? Or is it a one time thing. The floor above seemed to be holding apartments, maybe he lived there? Should you just knock or?
You finished your croissant, and went inside to just get some coffee and think. It seemed fancier on the inside, and you ordered a cappuccino. There was a nice place in the corner, and you sat down there. You noticed then, that the seat was warm. Like someone had just sat here, but the table was already cleaned and cleared. What if it was him? Were you too hopeful? Maybe you were. 
When your drink came you thanked the owner and grabbed your laptop from your back. There was wifi here, thank god. You logged on and went to your email, sending one to your parents. 

Dear mom and dad, 
I’m in Barcelona right now, sitting at a small cafe near the city centre. Almaty was beautiful, and I think I liked it better until now. Although the Spanish language is better. I hope you guys are doing okay, and that you don’t miss me too much. I’ll send you some pictures later when I get the time to transfer them from my camera. 
Love, Y/n. 

You also went and called your friend over Skype, but she didn’t pick up. Maybe she was out or something. So you decided to just text her, giving her a similar message you’d given your parents. When you locked your phone, you saw the picture of you and Suho, his face buried in the crook of your neck, holding you from behind. 
It made you a little sad again, remembering how happy you were. You had to be happy now as well, to be strong. 
You remember the stories, about the others. How Suho told you Jongdae had tried to comfort him when they were in that van, and you remembered him mentioning Zitao. Zitao who had cried on his shoulder there. Jongin and Sehun, their youngest, and Yifan, their eldest who hadn’t survived. You remembered Yixing who had gotten captured first, who’d screamed for his freedom. Luhan, who was lost, and might never be found. If you could, you’d go out and find him, but that was worse than looking for a needle in a haystack. At leat you’d know to tell a needle from hay…
When you finished your cappuccino, you’d browsed your social media, you’d ordered another one, and the hope was sinking. Finding the location so soon gave you false hope, maybe he was near, and not just here. 
No, you told yourself, you couldn’t give up that easily. You had to keep going, maybe if you came back a few days at different times. Maybe he’d already been here, or only comes around later in the day, or just on thursdays and mondays. It was Tuesday now. So you just told yourself you’d spend half a day here for two weeks. The rest of the day you could roam around and see other places, might as well enjoy the time here right?
It was nearing 2pm, so you paid the bill and went to look through some places. 

1 week later
Barcelona 10:09

It was Tuesday again, and you still hadn’t seen a single asian boy in the cafe. They were all asian right? Suho mentioned four of them having been from China, and the rest from Korea. So you just assumed you weren’t looking for a blue eyed blonde boy. 
You were drinking your cappuccino, you’d lost count of how many you’ve had here but they’re really nice. The flavour was full and the milk was really foamy, plus the tiny cookies were to die for. The owned by now recognised your face, and greeted you every time. It would’ve been easier if you spoke Spanish, to ask him maybe if he’d seen someone, but sadly his English was terrible.
You’d chatted to your friend on skype yesterday, she was excited to see your face. The two of you talked about small things, the places you’ve been and things you visited, people you met. Apparently she was dating someone now, and you were happy for her. 
The little bell of the store rang, and someone stepped in. You lifted your head from the book you’d gotten from a local store. The guy who stepped in made you look twice. He was slim, tall, and gorgeous. His skin was flawless, sharply defined features, like a fox. The colour of his hair was light blonde, and he was wearing a black turtleneck with a blazer, and white and black checkered pants. 
He looked at you, frowned and stepped over. You held your breath as he moves, silently and graciously. “I’m sorry, this is my table.” He spoke in a bit bracketed English. 
You blinked a few times, but you couldn’t utter out a word. Was he one one of them, one of Suho’s brothers?
“Hello, can you please move from my table?” he asked again, a bit louder this time. 
“Uh…I’m sorry,” you stumbled, getting up, not knowing what to do really. The way you met Jongdae had been much easier. 
He sat down and you picked up your coffee, placing it on a nearby table. You watched him open his paper, as the owner brought an espresso to his table. “Staring is impolite.” He mumbled. 
“Huh?”
“Stop staring.” His voice was sharp and harsh and it took you aback. 
You looked down at your table, how could you ask him this, maybe he was a random stranger. He didn’t seem nice, and you really had no intention of upsetting him or causing a scene. Your duffle bag was by your feet, as you were moving to a hotel closer by the other side of the city today. Maybe you should show him the blanket, Jongdae had seemed to recognise that, or your necklace? 
For a second you looked to your side, and you met his eyes, he glared at you. You decided then, that it wasn’t him, it couldn’t be him. Someone that seemed so menacing. So you paid the bill and got up, taking your belongings and leaving the cafe. 
One more week, you told yourself mentally, one more week and you’d move on. You’d find a way to ring the apartments upstairs to see if he lived there. 
While strolling back to your new hotel, you passed crowds of tourists, and calm almost empty streets. This city was diverse, and changed the further you got to the outskirts. You just hoped you hadn’t wasted your time. 

3 days later

You were sitting at the cafe again when your phone rang, it was Jongdae. “Hi there.” You said, picking up. 
“Hey.” You could hear the smile in his voice. “How’ve you been? Did you find anybody yet?” 
You sighed deeply, rubbing your temple. “No, I found the location, on my first day here. But I haven’t found him yet…”
“Where are you at?”
“I’m at a cafe, something small but fancy.”
Jongdae was quiet for a little, probably thinking. You heard a soft bark on the other line. 
“Is Kris with you?”
“Yeah, I’m home right now.” He said. “You said a cafe, fancy? Makes me think of only two people, one of them being Junmyeon and the other Zitao.” 
You nodded. “What does Zitao look like? So I can scout out for him, who knows it might help.” 
“Tao is, one of our younger ones. He’s tall, skinny probably, he has a bit of a feline like face. Sharp eyes and lips, will probably wear expensive looking clothes and possibly earrings as well.” 
It sounded an awful lot like the guy from Tuesday. “I saw someone, he was ab it foxy, like you described, with blonde hair. But he was really rude and snappy. Told me to move away from the table because it’s his. Was quiet most of the time though.”
“Sounds like something he’d do.” Jongdae said. “If it’s him though, go easy on telling him about Junmyeon. He was really close to him, he might snap at you if he thinks you work for the people of the asylum.”
“He has a short fuse?”
“Zitao is a bit…eccentric. His power is time, so everything feels very odd to him, time passes him by in a way. But he’s also really whiny and rude, like you said.” 
You took a sip of your drink. “Jongdae, how have you been? Did you find a new place yet?” 
“Yes, I’m moving out in 2 weeks.” 
“That’s great.”
“I’m not telling you where I’m going though.” He mused. “Because you won’t tell me where you are.” 
You chuckled, it was nice to laugh. “Because I don’t want you to secretly follow me.” 
“I wouldn’t.” He whined. “I just want to know if you’re okay.”
A soft laugh escaped your lips, at his concern and tone of voice. “I’m okay Jongdae, don’t worry.”
“I just wonder if they might come to find you or something. I worry.”
“Jongdae, you barely know me.”
“As the brother of your boyfriend, I feel it’s kind of my job to look after you now. If he can’t I will do it, so please if anything happens call me. Or if you need someone to talk to.” He spoke, and you heard little Kris bark again. “Kris misses you too.” 
“I will Jongdae, thank you. Tell Kris I said hi, I need to hang though. Otherwise I’m going to run out of minutes for this month. Foreign phone calls are expensive.” 
“Ah yeah, talk soon okay?”
“Bye Jongdae.”
“Bye y/n.”
You hung up the phone and sighed again, rubbing your temples and finishing your coffee. If only this was as easy. You’d have to somehow talk to that guy from earlier this week. 
The bell went off again, and there was a sound of fancy shoes on the tile floor. A movement in the corner of your eyes as someone sat down in the corner table. In his spot. 
You dared lift your eyes to the person and found him, wearing the exact same clothes, his hair styles in the exact same way. Something about him could be a model, his features to flawless and unique. There wasn’t a single blemish on his skin, let it be for the slight dark circles under his eye. He took a sip of his coffee, and you adverted your gaze, before he caught you staring again. 
Courage, you’d need courage to do this. So you took a deep breath, closing your eyes for a second and willing yourself to just do it. You spoke; “Zitao?”
His head immediately whipped to the side, eyes wide and startled. “How do you know my name?” 
“Uhmm, I….”
“You work for them don’t you.” He was up in an instant, and everything around you seemed to slow. Or he seemed to speed, up, you weren’t a hundred percent sure. He was out of the door in a flash. 

tumblr_nlgq20lkRd1ryukfxo2_r1_500.gif

Originally posted by peek-a-byun

Thing flickered back to normal when the door fell shut behind him, the owner dropping his cup, coffee spilling on the floor. You stood up quickly, leaving money on the table and sprinting after him. But out on the street he was nowhere to be seen. You scanned around, there weren’t a lot of people, and he shouldn’t be hard to spot. 
Checkered pants slipped around a corner on your right and you went in that direction. You ran, and ran, calling out his name. But he never stopped, he occasionally looked back to see if you were still following him. 
“Zitao stop!” you called, running out of breath. “Please!” he was way faster than you,and you were going to loose track of him. In a moment of dread, you yelled the only thing you thought of. “Junmyeon is dead!” 
Then he stopped, he stopped dead in his tracks but didn’t turn around. You closed in on him, stopping a few feet away and leaning on your knees. 
“Please tell me you’re lying, and said that to come and take me away.” He said flatly. 
“I wish I could.” You answered him.
He turned around, facing you with no emotion whatsoever in his eyes. “What year is it?” 
“It’s 2017, July 25th.” 
“It’s been exactly 1381 days since I’ve last seen him.” Zitao stated. “Since I’ve last seen any of them. It’s weird you know, it seems like yesterday, like only a week passed. I don’t feel a day older. Time passes so quickly.” 
You nodded, stepping a little closer to him. “Zitao, do you want to sit down and talk?”
“I don’t want anything to do with you.” He growled suddenly. “With any of you.” 
“Zitao please.” You reached out for his arm but he flinched away. “Zitao I just want to talk.”
“NO!” he yelled, so loud it made you flinch now. “No, I don’t want to talk, I don’t want to see them. I don’t want to sit here and see how they wither away with age while I stay the same.” His voice was erratic and his hands were trembling. “Junmyeon isn’t dead, he’s not. He’s happy somewhere, happy and smiling, and content. Don’t come here and tell me these lies!” 
You didn’t know what to do, you could only watch this boy as he fisted his hands in his hair. 
“Go away!” he yelled at you, tears shining in the corners of his eyes. “GO THE AWAY!” 
There was nothing else you could do, you were on the verge of breaking down, and you didn’t need to give him the satisfaction. So you turned around and left, left him standing in the middle of the empty street, crying for his brother.
You left with a hurt feeling in your chest, walking slowly to your apartment and picking up some food on the way. Not that you really had an appetite,but 4 chicken nuggets would have to do for now. You had to eat something. This room was a little bigger than the previous one, and you stripped to get under the shower and wash away the feeling. 
Wondering whether more of them would react this way, you rinsed the shampoo from your hair and stepped out again. The room smelled a bit old, and it looked so, but the bed was nice. So you laid down wrapped in a huge white towel and took out your phone. Should you call Jongdae? Tell him what happened?
You stared at your phone for a while and decided it might be better to call him tomorrow, because you’d be waking him up now. So you just went to sleep

The next morning you slept in, you felt lethargic and down. How would you be able to deal with this every time. The distress and fear and anger in Zitao’s screams. For a second you had been afraid the police would come to the sound, or at least nearby people. But nobody did, and you left him there on his own. You wondered if he didn’t really miss them, if he really didn’t want to see them. 
You contemplated getting food and staying in the room all day, but maybe also found it worth it to check by the cafe and see if Tao was there. So you showered again, free water was good, and it calmed you a little. 
It was another warm day, and you pushed you’re baseball cap on a little further to shade your eyes. It was a Saturday, so it was more busy, and your wait for food was a little longer. You left a tip, because you’d eaten at this place every day and it hadn’t disappointed you yet. 
After shopping for some things you’d needed by now, and going to a place to do laundry, you went to the cafe. It was a bit busier, and you actually took seat outside after checking if Zitao was there. But he wasn’t. The sun was pleasant on your skin, and there was a soft breeze right there. 
Zitao never came, and he didn’t come the next day, or the day after that. And the second week of waiting had passed and you never saw a sign of him again. You’d even asked the owner, and he said he hadn’t seen Zitao in a long time. That he’d been coming here religiously every day at the same time. But not anymore after what happened with you. You’d apologised and moved away. 
You decided to write him a letter, to let him know what was up. Not that you know where he lived, but you’d leave it at the cafe. 

Zitao

I apologise for scaring you last week, or whenever it was when you read this. I’m writing this because of your brother, Junmyeon. I am, or well, was his girlfriend. We lived happily together for quite a while until he mentioned to me what had happened to you all, his powers, yours the asylum. I loved him so much, and then that day, they came for him. They came for him and they killed him. He died to save me and for that I am sorry. 
As his dying wish he asked me to find you all, to see if you were safe and help you to relocate. I am sorry for upsetting you, it was not in my intention. But I hope you’re okay. 
I won’t bother you anymore after this, but know it’s probably safer if you change name and relocate after this. I’m sad I couldn’t do this more securely, and not lead them your way, but I wasn’t made for that. I’m just another girl 
My phonenumber is on the back of this card, if you ever need anything, or want someone to talk to. Don’t hesitate to call me.

Y/n.

You’d given the envelope to the owner the next day, saying it was for him. He’d nodded, and put it on the counter. You’d never really know if he’d ever see it, but it was a little sliver of hope wasn’t it?
A few hours later you found yourself in an internet cafe, together with the photo’s. You’d written Zitao’s name on the back of his, but his number was yet unknown to you. Maybe you could ask Jongdae when he called again, he’d sure know. 
You’d flipped them over, and drawn a random card. That card would tell you your next destination. You were happy to see it, it was a city you’d always wanted to go. So you’d logged onto a booking site, and found a not to expensive flight there. You didn’t really care for luxury in that way, right now it was important to save money where you could. Because there were faraway flights that would cost you a lot. More so than this one. 
When your phone rang you picked it up before you looked. “Y/n.”
“Hey sweetie!”
“Hey mom!” you smiled, logging off the internet quickly. 
“I just saw you booked a new ticket.”
You sighed. “You don’t have to check my bank account, really.”
“No, sweetie, we want to just give you a little extra, so we’ve covered the expenses for this one for you.”
It silenced you for a little, and you felt tears prick at your eyes. “Thank you so much mom, that means a lot.”
“Everything for our daughter. We know how important this is to you, but you know you can come home for a while any time you want. We miss you.” 
A tear slipped away. “Yeah mom, I know. I love you.” 
“We love you too, y/n. We’re always here for you.” 
“Thank you.”
“You’re welcome.”
The two of you chatted about the things you’d seen, and your mom mentioned that Snuffs missed you, it was their cat. A grumpy cat at that. You promised to send over some more pictures when you arrived in the next city, where you hoped you’d have better wifi than here. 
When you hung up, you had to wipe away more tears. You really did miss your family, you were here all alone. God why did you have to be so negative about this al the time. You had to push through. You were seeing the world, this was a positive thing. Suho would’ve wanted to see you happy, and strong, as he’d known you. For him you had to keep pushing. 
For him, for love, for his brothers. 


A/N: This series has been gone for such a long time, and this part kind of I'm sorry. I didn't really have a vision in how to go about this. So I hope you guys liked it, please let me know.