Chapter 3 - The Dilemma

Wedding Escape

Night after the announcement.

Yonghwa and Seohyun screamed in unison, “WHAT?!”

“Why so surprised? We all know you’re expecting it,” Mr.Jung teased them.

“No no no. Listen to me, Appa, Omma, Mr and Mrs Seo. We will not marry each other. Seohyun just said that she didn’t love me. I’m so sorry, but there will be no marriage between the two of us,” Yonghwa frantically explained it.

“Omo. Did Seohyun reject your feeling just now at the garden?” his mother gasped.

“What?” he really felt so confused at that time.

“Oh dear. You just said that Seohyun didn’t love you. Is that right? Did you reject him, Hyunnie? But, why?” Mrs. Seo turned to ask her daughter.

“I did not reject anyone, Omma. Yonghwa wasn’t confessing anything to me,” Seohyun tried to explain.

“Then why didn’t you confess to her, Son? You’re wasting your time,” Mr.Jung dissapointed.

“Father, it is not like what you think. Seohyun and I only had small talk,” Yonghwa ambiguously responded.

“What kind of talk? I really don’t understand what you are trying to say, Yonghwa-ssi. Did you actually confess to my daughter or not?” Mrs.Seo looked at him confusedly.

Seohyun scratched her forehead and sighed, “Aigoo, why do you always make things more complicated?”

“Sorry, what did you say?” Yonghwa faced her.

“I said why do you always make things more complicated? Like your proposal.”

“Yah, why do you bring up my proposal to this conversation? My proposal was fine until you messed it up with your so called ‘important details’,” Yonghwa fummed at her.

“I think you still haven’t realized that those ‘important details’ made your proposal approved,” she proundly reminded him.

“Oh, really?”

Then, they continued to argue for a few moments later, while the parents looked at them with smile. They surely acted like little kids.

“So, what do you want now? Do you want me to thank you for that? Is that what you mean?” Yonghwa looked irritably at Seohyun.

“I never said that, but if you want to thank me then go ahead. I’ll apreciate it,” she challenged him.

 “Okay, fine. Thank you so much for your sincere help all this time, Seohyun-ssi. Happy?” he finally closed their argument while Seohyun showed the winning smile.

“Have you done with your discussion? Is there anything else both of you want to settle today?” Mr.Seo interrupted them in amused tone.

“No, there is nothing more, Mr.Seo. I’m really sorry for the commotion just now,” Yonghwa bowed apologetically.

“It’s okay, Yonghwa-ssi. How about you, Seohyun? Is there anything else you want to say to him?”

“No, there isn’t, Father. I’m really sorry for making all of you uncomfortable with our noise,” Seohyun also bowed politely.

“All clear? No hard feeling?” Mr.Jung confirmed it once more as Yonghwa and Seohyun nodded.

“Good. Then, we should continue with the marriage discussion,” Mr.Jung added.

“Appa,” Yonghwa whined.

“Wae? You just said that you’ve cleared all of your problem,” his father asked him back.

“That’s right, but ... Could we discuss it later? I think everyone is tired right now, why don’t we go home now and meet again at another time?” Yonghwa suggested.

“But there isn’t enough time until you go to Germany, Yonghwa-yah,” Mrs.Jung refused his idea, “We need to start the wedding preparation as soon as possible.”

“Omma, please. We have discussed about this several times. You don’t need to worry about me being alone in Germany. I can take care of myself,” he assured his mother, “Besides, we should give Seohyun time to consider the marriage proposal, shouldn’t we?”

“I agree with Yonghwa. I believe both Yonghwa and I should think about this carefully since marriage is a lifetime commitment. We shouldn’t decide it in a rush,” Seohyun helped him.

“Good point. Alright then, please think about this marriage proposal carefully and inform us your decision as soon as both of you make up your mind, okay? Like Mrs.Jung said we don’t have much time before he goes to Germany,” Mr.Seo reminded them.

“De.”

***

However, the following days were not pleasant days for Yonghwa. Everyday his mother would ask about his decision while he tried his best to make her understand that he had no feeling toward Seohyun. Still, his mother could not accept it.

“So what if you haven’t fallen for her yet? I’m sure you will be head over heels for her soon. Seohyun is beautiful, nice, and very attentive to you,” Mrs.Jung stated for the nth time.

“Omma, please. We have discussed about this several times,” he pleaded.

“But you never tell me the specific reason why you don’t like her,” his mother insisted.

“Our characters are absolutely not match. She is the most serious person I ever met in my life. Stiff, blunt, and could not have fun. We always have arguments when we meet. You have seen that in the meeting last time, right? I cannot marry her.”

“You always said that each time you met a girl. Marriage isn’t about finding similarities, Yonghwa-yah. It is about complementing each other.”

When he gave her no response, she continued, “Besides, nothing cannot be fixed. You can show her how to have some fun. Maybe you can ask her on a refreshing date or do something you like.”

“I won’t ask her to go on date or anything, Omma. That’s final!” he said firmly after that long heated argument. He felt so tired right now, and his mother’s lecture made it worst.

“You know what. Everytime we talked about this, I felt that it wasn’t about Seohyun. I guess you just want to refuse my wish for you to get married. But I don’t know why,” her eyes got teary.

“Omma, why are you crying? Please don’t cry. I didn’t mean like that at all. I’m sorry, Omma, I’m so sorry,” he came closer to her mother.

“Then, please, Yonghwa. Please fulfill my wish. Marry her, marry Seohyun,” she pleaded to him while sobbing like a kid, “I believe she will become a good wife for you.”

It was very uncomfortable and heartbreaking to see his mother like that for days.

“Arraseoyo, Omma. I’ll try to talk to Seohyun tomorrow. Let’s see what will she say about this. I cannot force her if she refuse it,” he said.

“But if she agrees?” his mother looked at him hopefully.

Yonghwa took a deep breath before he replied, “If she agrees, then I marry her at the end of this month. So, Omma, please stop crying now. It’s breaking my heart.”

“Do you promise me? Maybe you should call her right now?” his mother tried to push him more.

“I will speak to her directly tomorrow. I promise you, Omma. But remember, the result will depend on her decision,” as he hugged and soothed her to calm down.

“Thank you, my dear son. I’m sure Seohyun would like to marry my super-handsome boy,” she tightened her hug.

.

.

Little did he know, a few minutes later his mother called her best friend, “Eunhee-yah, I’ve finished my mission. Now it’s your turn.”

***

On the other hand, Seohyun was reading a book when her mother came into her room.

“Hyunie, I bring you a fruit salad. I’ll put it here, okay?”

“Gomawoyo, Omma,” she moved to pick her salad.

“You really love to read romance novel, do you?” her mother picked Seohyun’s book as she sat down.

“Yes, it always fun to read, especially the rom-com one,” Seohyun replied cheerfully.

“But I wonder when will you get your own love story?” her mother murmured.

“Ah, you want to talk about the marriage proposal right now? Mianheyo, Omma. It must be hard on you to bring out the subject since you need to make use of my novel,” she mother playfully.

And it succeed to make her mother laugh, before continued to ask seriously,”Have you make up your mind, dear?”

“I’m sorry, Omma. I cannot marry him,” Seohyun answered carefully.

“May I know the reason?” her mother slowly started their heart-to-heart session.

“Honestly, I’m not so sure whether I’m ready to get married or not. I’m afraid I cannot be the perfect wife for my future husband since I’m still lacking in many ways. Even I cannot take care of myself well enough, how can I take care of him?”

“Firstly, you totally fine taking care of yourself and even your parents. Never doubt that. Secondly, what if he isn’t looking for a perfect wife?”

“Then, what is he looking for?” she tilted her head in confusion.

“Well, I’m not so sure, but maybe he’s just trying to find a good life-partner. Someone who will share his meals with, or who will accompany him to watch a movie, or who will listen to his story after a long tiring day, or who will just do simple things together. Why don’t you ask Yonghwa-ssi about it?” her mother suggested.

“The way you said it sounds like marriage is the most simple things to do, when you completely know it’s not,” Seohyun commented.

“Because that’s what I did with your father all along. You’ve seen it yourself, right?”

“De, you’re right. I’m so happy to be a part of your harmonius marriage life. Gomawoyo, Omma,” she expresed her gratitude by hugging her mother.

“You’re welcome, my beloved daughter. I also feel so happy to have you,” her mother hugged her back, “So, are you ready to marry Yonghwa?”

“Omma~,” she pouted her lips.

“Don’t overthink yourself. It would be fun like one of your rom-com novels. You just need to ask youself whether you like him or not.”

“I still don’t know about that. Besides, I’m sure Yonghwa will refuse this marriage.”

“What makes you so sure about that?”

“He just doesn’t like me, Omma. Maybe because I’m too different from him.”

“Hyunie, marriage isn’t about finding similarities. It is about complementing each other.”

“What a beautiful line.”

“Yes, I know. I read it somewhere, kekeke,” her mother proudly smiled, “Then, what will you do if he changes his opinion about you and asks you to marry him?”

“It almost impossible, Omma, but we’ll see then,” she was shrugging her shoulders when her phone suddenly rang with his name on it, “Speak of the devil.”

“Just give him a chance. You won’t regret it,” her mother gave her a small pat as she went out.

.

.

Later in the afternoon, her mother texted her best friend, “Aran-ah, mission accomplished.”

***

Yonghwa was lying motionless on his bed. He has given up his sleep hours ago, after tossing and turning all night.

He couldn’t believe it that he would marry Seo Joohyun this morning, for real. Just because she casually said yes when he asked her to marry him a week ago.

‘Why would she agree to this? Tsk, why did I ever propose her in the first place? Stupid me!’

He ruffled his hair in upset, before he got up and prepared himself.

***

Seohyun was running so fast as soon as she got off from the cab.

“Seohyun-ssi, hurry up this way,” she turned her head when a young-tall man waved small yellow flag and ushered her to the second gate.

“Funtrip agency?” she made sure as she kept running.

“De. You’re late. All the members of our group have already board on the plane,” that young man who was her travel guide, explained it quickly.

.

‘Yes, today is my wedding day, but unfortunately yesterday I decided to run away from it. So, here I am running in the airport to catch a traveling group to Japan, while he is waiting for me at the altar. I’m so sorry, Jung Yonghwa-ssi.’

.

“This is your ticket. Your seat number is 11A, next to your travel buddy. Let’s go.”

“Thank you so much, Jaemyung-ssi. I’m so sorry for the trouble,” she thanked him as they managed to board on the plane.

“It’s okay as long as you finally make it. That was a close call,” he smile in relief, “Here, let me put your bag to the compartment. You’d better sit down now.”

“De, kamsahamnida,” she bowed politely, then moved to her seat.

But suddenly she heard a familiar voice call her name.

“Seohyun-ssi? What are you doing here?”

And to her surprise, she saw him sitting straightly next to her, “Jung Yonghwa-ssi?!”

 


Author's note:

Can we call Seohyun as a runaway bride when Yonghwa accompany her to run away?

Thank you so much for your supports even when I stopped updating without notice. It really gives me a great push to write this story again.

Enjoy the story and please continue to inspire me by sharing your thoughts .

See you on the next update J

P.S. Have you listened to all of the CNBLUE’s and Yonghwa’s albums in 2017? They are so productive and talented, right? CNBLUE fighting~!

- minikittybdg -