Chapter 5

Listen to My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Joy.”

 

“Yes Wendy?”

 

It was lunchtime, and both of the bestfriends slash doctors were in the hospital’s cafeteria, eating while looking at their report for their respective patients.

 

“Irene and I kissed this morning.”

 

Joy’s eyes widen, she didn’t expect Wendy to move to the second base this fast. Nevertheless, the taller doctor smile smugly while looking at her bestfriend who was blushing after telling her what had happened this morning.

 

“So how was the kiss?” The smug never left Joy’s face.

 

“It was… fine.” Wendy said and scratched her nape, blushed to a deeper shade of red as she recalled the incident. “S-She’s a good kisser.”

 

“On the scale of 1-10? How good is Irene?”

 

“69”

 

“What the-“ Joy’s eyes went wide as she heard Wendy’s ‘sinful’ answer. “Wendy you nasty!” The tall girl said as she threw Wendy a tissue straight into the latter’s face. “And wipe your mouth please, you’re drooling.”

 

“I can’t help it, she’s so perfect…” The older of the two said and sighed dreamily, imagining the blinding smile of her housemate slash crush.

 

“So are you two dating now?”

 

Wendy’s eyes went wide as she heard what Joy just said to her. Come to think of it, the doctor doesn’t know if Irene and her are already dating. Seeing Wendy’s expression, Joy raised her eyebrows.

 

“Don’t tell me you don’t know what you and Irene are right now.”

 

Wendy just smiled bashfully at Joy to which the latter responded by massaging her temples, a frown appeared after. “I knew it.” Joy said as she was rolling her eyes towards the girl in front of her. “You should ask her out, Wan-ah. You know it’s time to date, after what happened to your last relationship.” Joy tsk-ed as she suddenly having a short flashback to the day Wendy run into her house crying after her ex-girlfriend cheated on her.

 

“I don’t know if she likes me back, Joy.”

 

“You must be kidding me.” Joy said while scoffing. She can’t believe how dumb her bestfriend can be when it comes to logic. “Wendy.” Joy said as calm as she can. Sometimes, she just wanted to knock a sense into Wendy especially after what Wendy had just said to her. “Okay…” Joy inhaled few deep breaths before continuing, “Who kissed who first?”

 

“I do.”

 

“And how did Irene responded?”

 

“She kissed me back.”

 

Joy clapped once, loudly, making other staffs in the cafeteria looking at her weirdly. “That means she’s into you too!” Joy whispered-shouted at Wendy who was looking at her weirdly, too.

 

“Maybe she’s just being nice.” The doctor said while shrugging. She really doesn’t think Irene to like her back anyway.

 

“Oh my god Wendy!” The tall girl laughed forcefully, face as red as a tomato, since she was trying hard not to scream out loud in the cafeteria frustratingly. Instead of trying to knock her friend’s head hardly, the doctor just took few more deep breaths before continuing, “Just ask her out, okay? If she rejects you, which is unlikely, I’d treat you to have dinner together at the restaurant you love across the street, okay?”

 

“Okay…” Wendy answered reluctantly, contemplating whether to listen to her friend’s advice or not.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Meanwhile, the two siblings were hanging out as usual at Irene’s store, since Yeri had a day off that day. Feeling bored in the house (since she’s alone, again), the youngest Bae decided to visit her beloved sister at her store, probably planning to annoy the oldest Bae siblings.

 

Yerim… Irene tapped Yeri’s shoulder, making the latter look at her curiously. Wendy and I kissed this morning. Irene dropped the bomb all of the sudden, feeling anxious of how Yeri would react. What if Yeri found her weird? What if Yeri found her too fast into her ‘relationship’ with Wendy? What if-

 

“It’s about time!” The younger of the two exclaimed, as if she was waiting for a long time for the kiss to happen.

 

Okay, that’s not what Irene had expected.

 

What do you mean?!

 

“Hehe…” Yeri giggled before continuing, “I mean, it’s obvious that both of you like each other. I’m surprised how you haven’t asked her out yet.”

 

Maybe she doesn’t like me back… Irene pouted as she was looking at Yeri who was rolling her eyes.

 

“Even dumb people can see that she’s head over heels for you.”

 

You think so?

 

“I know so.” Yeri smiled at the pouty Irene. “Ask her out, unnie. She’ll say yes in a heartbeat. Trust me.”

 

Okay…

 

Sometimes, Yeri felt as if she’s older than Irene, since the younger girl would know about the world, about love and about everything else more than her oldest sister. But, Yeri doesn’t mind. Since to her, Irene is her whole world and whoever would hurt her unnie would go into her death note. After all, Irene is the only one who truly cares about her.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

“Are any of these are going to work?” Wendy was on her laptop, browsing stressfully through Google on ‘how to confess to someone without getting rejected’. The doctor wasn’t exactly a romantic type. When it comes to love, Wendy would get blank, every single time. To her, her work is the definition of love. Wendy loves her job, but she had to admit, it would stress the hell out of her most of the time, especially after what happened at her last relationship. But, after Irene walked into her life, pouring her these affections she hasn’t gotten after a long goddamn time, the doctor can’t figure out how to sort out her feelings. Irene is the second one to make her feel this way, and Wendy want the latter to stay in her life for a long time.

 

“Wendy.” Joy sighed and massaged her temples for the umpteenth time that day. “For the last time-“ The taller of the two then closed the laptop forcefully before looking at the fool in love at the eyes. “Just sing her a song. Play your guitar or something! You still have your guitar, right?” Joy said rather excitedly. Hell, people would fall on their knees whenever they hear Wendy singing while playing her guitar during their university days. Joy unconsciously shuddered when she remembered back the students, both boys and girls would yell at each other just because they thought Wendy was dedicating the song to them. Well, Wendy was singing the song to one of them. But, we all know what happened after.

 

“Joy…” Wendy scrunched her nose, something she would do whenever she was feeling anxious and doubtful. “I haven’t touch a guitar in almost a year. I’m kinda rusty right now.”

 

“You won’t know unless you tried.” Joy said and sat down beside Wendy, taking the grape and putting it into . Since when does Wendy have a bowl full of grapes there? She shrugged and instead looked at Joy, face still frowning.

 

“I don’t know…”

 

Patting her frustrated friend’s shoulder softly, Joy looked at Wendy and smiled at her warmly, making the latter calm down a bit.

 

“Just try, Wan-ah.”

 

~~~~~~~~

 

Yerim, what should I do??

 

“Unnie, just tell her how you truly feel.”

 

But what if-

 

“Unnie.” Yeri rolled her eyes and looked at her sister straight in the eye, deadpanned. “Just do it. Stop thinking of ‘what ifs’. Do it and then think of the consequences later.”

 

But Yer-

 

“Please?”

 

Irene sighed and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter