Chapter 3

Listen to My Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s been months since Irene moved in to Wendy’s house and the duo are getting closer and closer. Wendy was still attending the sign language class and luckily she was getting better and better. Now, Irene doesn’t even have to write anything on her notebook again, since Wendy can decipher long sign language that Irene was doing.

 

It was one of the usual days for both of them, but Wendy was getting busier and busier in the hospital, making her spend most of her time in the hospital (There’s too much sick person nowadays, Wendy thought). On the other hand, Irene’s music shop was getting more and more attention due to her prettiness, and people started calling her ‘Beauty in Silence’ because, well, she is beautiful, and mute. However, Irene doesn’t want to hire anyone since most of the people she hired was grabbing the opportunity to flirt her, which she despise the most.

 

Irene was cleaning some of the disc rack that collect some dusts when suddenly she heard a bell rang on the entrance. Irene looked at the door and saw one customer, clad in a tidy black blazer and slack pants complimented by a black high heel. Her customer entered the shop and went to the counter. Irene immediately stopped whatever she’s doing and scurried to the counter.

 

“Excuse me, do you sell any guitar here?” The girl asked. Irene then nodded her head.

 

“That’s great! What kinda guitar do you sell here?” The girl asked again.

 

Irene took out a catalogue under the counter, her shop’s catalogue (Wendy made it) and flipped to the ‘guitar’ section then showed her customer the guitar that she sell. The girl inspect each of the guitar in the catalogue and Irene was feeling nervous, which is a rare occasion.

 

Her aura is so tempting. Irene thought.

 

After what it seems to be hours (which is only 3 minutes), the girl smiled satisfyingly and pointed to one of the guitar in the book.

 

‘Taylor 214CE Acoustic-Electric Guitar’

 

Irene immediately took out her notebook and write something on her notebook.

 

Unfortunately, we don’t have that now miss, my last customer bought the last one a day ago. But I can ask the supplier and maybe it’ll arrive in a week or so, is that fine with you?

 

The girl read what Irene wrote and nod her head.

 

“I’m fine with that. Can the guitar arrive before winter’s over?”

 

Irene nod her head firmly and wrote something on her notebook again.

 

It’ll be around $1000. Is that price fine with you?

 

“Yes it’s fine.” The girl grin widely at Irene.

 

Give me your phone number then. I’ll inform you when it arrive here.

 

Irene gave the girl her notebook. Taking it, the girl wrote on Irene’s notebook, giving Irene her phone number, along with her name. The girl gave Irene her notebook back after she wrote her contact number then bow to Irene.

 

“Thank you!” The girl smiled widely and left the shop.

 

You’re welcome!

 

Irene was happy that she finally manage to sell something without getting harassed or teased about her disability. She then continued cleaning the disc rack with a happy smile printed on her face all the time.

 

~~~~~~

 

“I’m home.” Wendy said tiredly after she opened the front door and immediately flopped herself on the couch. Irene walked towards Wendy and patted Wendy’s head.

 

Welcome home, Wendy. It’s been awhile since I haven’t see you.

 

“Hehehe sorry. I was busy at the hospital, surgery here and there.”

 

It’s fine.

 

“Have you ate?” Wendy sat straight up and looked at Irene.

 

Nope. I just got back from the store.

 

“Are you hungry?”

 

Irene nodded her head up and down vigorously. Starving.

 

“Alright then. Let’s go out to eat, I’m starving too.” Wendy stand up and started walking when she was stopped by Irene.

 

“Why?” Wendy asked Irene, confused.

 

You’re tired. You just come back from the hospital. I can cook for us.

 

“Its fine, Irene. I can manage to drive. Plus, we never go out on a date.”

 

Irene looked at Wendy with wide eyes, surprised by the word ‘date’. Wendy then realized what she had said and immediately wave her hand. “No. I don’t mean like that, I mean a friendly date, not a couple date.” Wendy said while scratching her nape.

 

Oh. Irene thought.

 

Irene’s heart felt a little bit uncomfortable, but she smiled nevertheless.

 

Aright Wendy.

 

“Good!” Wendy exclaimed happily and run upstairs to change her attire. Irene then decided to change her attire too, since the clothes she was wearing looked like someone who haven’t showered for days.

 

~~~~~~

 

Both of them were keeping quiet in Wendy’s car, listening to random songs that Wendy played on her radio. As Wendy was driving, suddenly, a familiar song was being played on the radio. Wendy’s heart immediately felt uncomfortable, broken. Again, Wendy felt nostalgic, a horrible nostalgic and past event started to wander inside her mind.

 

Wendy, is everything alright? You looked disturbed. Irene patted Wendy shoulder after she saw that Wendy was frowning all the time.

 

Wendy sighed and told Irene that everything was fine. Not feeling satisfied, Irene asked Wendy again.

 

I know you’re lying. Tell me Wendy.

 

“It’s nothing. This song, my ex used to serenade me to sleep almost everyday when I couldn’t sleep.” Wendy said bitterly and bite her lower lip, hard, trying to prevent from crying.

 

I’m sorry… Irene looked at Wendy with a worried expression and rub Wendy’s back softly.

 

“It’s okay, Irene. She’s a jerk anyway.”

 

What had she done?

 

“She cheated on me with this one girl. Tsk I’m such a fool for believing at her stupid promises.” Wendy laughed sadly and without noticing, a tear escaped from her left eye.

 

Irene felt guilty for asking and lean towards Wendy to wipe Wendy’s tears away from her cheek. Wendy felt touched at Irene’s kindness and looked at Irene. Thank god that they’re waiting for the traffic light to turn green or else, they might been involved at an accident and that was the last thing Wendy wanted to happen.

 

Stop crying. I hate it when you cried. You look ugly. Smile, that what makes you beautiful.

 

Wendy immediately hugged Irene tightly, making Irene a little bit hard to breathe. Nevertheless, Irene hugged Wendy back, feeling happy that the girl she like is feeling better.

 

They ate their dinner happily, and Irene was falling deeper and deeper for the doctor. And so does Wendy. Both of them like each other, but also a fool for not noticing their mutual feelings.

 

~~~~~~

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter